Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
3 year old news article, not today.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I wouldn'r want the Hagia Sofia or the Cordoba Mosque to burn.  They're amazing buildings.
View Quote
Especially since it was built as a church to start with.

"Under new management..."
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad I went to it in the 80's, I'll be dead and buried before it is ever completely redone and it still won't be as it was.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:31:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Guess it was just lucky the 900 other years.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could have been something as simple as a short from some wiring going to the work lights.
One spark landing in the wrong spot.
Guess it was just lucky the 900 other years.
You mean with the tens of millions of candles that have been burned inside the place?
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
This was 3 years ago.

Is it preferable to most on this site that this is a ROP job vs a simple construction accident that caused this?
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That was my one comment about it.

After making that comment I'm now seeing about half the posts here are all about the blame game. So I wasn't off.
View Quote
Nah, islam doesn't have an established history of destroying historic, religious or culturally important sites and artifacts. France also doesn't have a large muslim population with previous terrorist attacks, either.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
well, that doesn't play into GD's chicken little scenario
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Watching it burn is gut wrenching. I don't believe anybody has been injured, and for that I am thankful, but to see an irreplaceable monument filled with historical treasures, a work of art both inside and out be destroyed is tragic. Even though they are just man made things that were destined to crumble at some point. It is sad that it's fate befell today.

ETA: Praying for the injured firefighter.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In this case they will find what they are told to find.

There is only one scenario that is not the answer, even if it is the truth.
View Quote
Don't muslims usually take credit for their handywork?

It seems like they even try to credit for death and destruction they don't do.  Are there any muslim groups claiming credit for this?
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Seriously?  One of the greatest losses to western culture and it is jokes?  This is funny?
View Quote
You tell me? No seriously, 1/2 of this thread is knee-jerk reactionary conspiratioral bullshit with no basis in fact what so ever. No maybe those individuals will be proven right, or maybe it's just a simple construction accident; nobody knows at this point.

God for fucking bid patience is exercised while we wait for the smoke to clear and get some answers before we start pointing fingers of blame and use that time to reflect on that tragedy.

So yes it's jokes, because that's what a lot of this thread has become.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm late on this story and about to read this thread.

Knowing GD is going to GD, I'm sure the conspiracy theorist/Muslims did it! has started here since it's all over the news article comment section...and GD has much of the same types of people.
Just shut up for once
That was my one comment about it.

After making that comment I'm now seeing about half the posts here are all about the blame game. So I wasn't off.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/BREAKING-Notre-Dame-Cathedral-on-Fire-/5-2211599/?r=-1&page=25&anc=78366714#i78366714

Immaculate timing no?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/262787/594FBE85-617D-4A07-A976-9E3E01215A73_jpeg-913633.JPG
I don't think Laura Loomer read the article.

https://www.thejournal.ie/france-jails-jihadist-woman-accused-over-foiled-terror-attack-in-paris-4590216-Apr2019/

Madani’s trial for trying to set fire to the car filled with six gas cylinders near Notre Dame will begin on 23 September.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Earlier I figured the fire wasn't too bad and would be quickly knocked down. I mean a historical site like that wouldn't be allowed to burn, right?
Ugh. This is depressing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This was 3 years ago.

Is it preferable to most on this site that this is a ROP job vs a simple construction accident that caused this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This was 3 years ago.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190412-france-jails-jihadist-woman-accused-over-foiled-terror-attack

One of those involved was sentenced on Friday.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Interior images:
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This was 3 years ago.

View Quote
I don't think anything is "preferable".

I think finding the root cause is essential.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She was sentenced on Friday, which is why it was in the news.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Husband (architect and engineer) pointed out that whoever the contractor on this Notre Dame renovation was, they're legally and financially fucked now. That got me curious about the firm ... which led to some old articles and, oh man, the aftermath of this is gonna be messy ...
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1117874743711948800.html
View Quote
Govt minority business set aside. Dividing by zero.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You realize that laser scans are a real
Thing and I’d honestly be suprised it wouldn’t have been done on something this historic and iconic.

You’re literally talking a few days of work
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes . . . In fact, 3D CAD models of the entire structure have existed for some time.

In, theory . . . it could actually be 3D Printed . . . if you could build a printer large enough.

Thing and I’d honestly be suprised it wouldn’t have been done on something this historic and iconic.

You are, of course, correct, but hopefully, you also understand that the entire purpose of laser scans are to generate 3D CAD models.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This was 3 years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
This was 3 years ago.

3 churches in France get vandalized every single day and this church has already been targeted for terrorism.

It's not preferable, it's just the reality of the situation.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Some people did something....
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:36:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You tell me? No seriously, 1/2 of this thread is knee-jerk reactionary conspiratioral bullshit with no basis in fact what so ever. No maybe those individuals will be proven right, or maybe it's just a simple construction accident; nobody knows at this point.

God for fucking bid patience is exercised while we wait for the smoke to clear and get some answers before we start pointing fingers of blame and use that time to reflect on that tragedy.

View Quote
Maybe it was a dragon! I mean GOT started up again last night.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like the vault held up somewhat.  I expected complete destruction.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:36:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Imagine you were a worker inside and it was something you did...

Like cutting metal and spark catching some oily rags on fire/immediately getting out of control?

Imagine the guilt.

To give you an idea of the history...

That's crazy to think about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Imagine you were a worker inside and it was something you did...

Like cutting metal and spark catching some oily rags on fire/immediately getting out of control?

Imagine the guilt.

To give you an idea of the history...

When Napoleon coronation at Notre Dame took place, it was already 600 years old!

Napolean's coronation is incredibly recent in terms of Notre Dame's age. The amount of time between then and now represents less than 25% of the cathedral's existence.

It was built in 1163, one year after Genghis Khan's birth (or at least our best guess of his birth). Notre Dame predated Marco Polo and the founding of the Ottoman Empire by more than a century. It predates the creation of Islam. At the time of its construction, the best estimates for the global population are ~300 million (less than the current population of the United States). The cathedral was almost 200 years old when the Black Death destroyed a third of the world's population. The USA is currently younger than Notre Dame was when the Forbidden City was constructed in Beijing. It was 3 centuries old when Machu Picchu was built and Leonardo Da Vinci was born. It was over 400 years old when Shakespeare's Globe Theatre was built. It predated the original King James Version of the Bible by 450 years.
That's crazy to think about.
I have been in two old wooden floor cotton mills where a hotwork boo boo started a fire. It went from is it smoking over there to fuck get the fire extinguisher now in seconds. Hard to believe it was work related and not noticed with those building materials.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm part of that chicken little crowd.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Hard to say but it doesn't look too bad. The ceiling looks mostly intact.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:39:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ciao.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're more of a turkey
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have been in two old wooden floor cotton mills where a hotwork boo boo started a fire. It went from is it smoking over there to fuck get the fire extinguisher now in seconds. Hard to believe it was work related and not noticed with those building materials.
View Quote
I don't know - this looks like a tenderbox to me

Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hell, I'm already about hated here - so I'll say it:

The French fought beside us in our own revolution.  They fought beside us in two world wars.  They gifted us the Statue of Liberty.

Today, I morn alongside my French brothers for what is lost.  Today is not the day for jokes.
View Quote
You said it brother, we might not be free if it wasnt for them God bless the French people.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't even know if you could. Does the skill set to make stained glass windows of that quality or carved wooden reliefs like they had even exist anymore? The paintings and sculptures? Irreplaceable.
View Quote
The glass can not be reproduced
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Just some people doing some things.
View Quote
This ^
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Husband (architect and engineer) pointed out that whoever the contractor on this Notre Dame renovation was, they're legally and financially fucked now. That got me curious about the firm ... which led to some old articles and, oh man, the aftermath of this is gonna be messy ...
View Quote
Are you saying that you are woman?
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#36]
As much as I hate to admit it, this shit didnt happen under Jacques Chirac
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#37]
It won't be the same, but I wonder if they will rebuild it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#38]
A guy I worked with a few years back is in Paris right now, and posted some pictures. He says the French people are VERY ANGRY. Talk of it being arson, etc.

I'm not sure we have any solid news of that yet, but he has gotten as close as he can to the cathedral, and that's what he's hearing from the French people there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
*chuckle
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I think she was sentenced 3 days ago for a plot from 2016.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#41]
What type of construction was used at Notre Dame?

Heavy timber is fairly fire resistant.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Ciao.
View Quote
It was the "wait for the smoke to clear" pun wasn't it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This was 3 years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
This was 3 years ago.

It is difficult for many to accept something tragic as senseless and random, there's often a degree of comfort that an act (even something really horrific) was the planned work of someone, it's more tangible, and easier to steer emotion toward revenge.

If it was lightning, many would be left with "why" and have no acceptable answer.

If it was some asshole executing agenda, that's easily understood, rationalized, and the reactions all come from an existing catalog.

It's that much more senseless if some tool was soldering pipe and just burned down one of the most important buildings in the history of buildings.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't think this was a ROPer event or even a construction accident; I think the Catholic Church set the fire so they could get the insurance money.
View Quote

"That's real retarded"
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A guy I worked with a few years back is in Paris right now, and posted some pictures. He says the French people are VERY ANGRY. Talk of it being arson, etc.

I'm not sure we have any solid news of that yet, but he has gotten as close as he can to the cathedral, and that's what he's hearing from the French people there.
View Quote
Good! I hope the muzzies did it and a holy war starts... The French (for all the weirdness sometimes) are our allies and we should back them up.

Fuck it, just send that one SAS dude from Kenya to sort the fuckers out.

In the end, it’s going to be a construction accident.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#46]
There are a few things that challenge coincidenality.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Looks like this is the official narrative now on Fox News.  Dana Perino opened with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's crazy talk. It must have been construction. No other possible explanation. We haven't even started the investigation, but we can rule one thing out. Must be construction. Gotta be.
Looks like this is the official narrative now on Fox News.  Dana Perino opened with it.
I don't think they can admit it it's terrorism, even if it was.

That would be globally destabilizing.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Exactly . . . Because the actual ceiling . . . and almost everything below it . . . is stone.  The only wood in the structure was the wood trusses supporting the sheet metal roofing.  This is what burned . . . not the primary structure.

This drawing shows details of the entire structure and makes it fairly simple to see exactly what happened.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You are, of course, correct, but hopefully, you also understand that the entire purpose of laser scans are to generate 3D CAD models.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes . . . In fact, 3D CAD models of the entire structure have existed for some time.

In, theory . . . it could actually be 3D Printed . . . if you could build a printer large enough.

Simply not true

My company just built and installed a 3000sqft 4 million dollar display based on the laser scan of the interior of a building. There are many types of laser scans
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 63
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top