BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 48
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

Eastern Sierra, Nevada, Arizona, have a shit ton of them.  Just need to tell the EPA to shut up and color, as well as provide a market such that they'll be economical to smelt/refine here again.
View Quote

Perpetua Resources is trying to start up a mine and has backing from the DoD. But Biden and the EPA have completely stopped it. So there will be no new mines while the current regime is in charge.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:49:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:
https://www.newsweek.com/china-news-quietly-launches-most-advanced-submarine-missiles-vertical-1942786
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://www.newsweek.com/china-news-quietly-launches-most-advanced-submarine-missiles-vertical-1942786
With your permission, I just wanted to "hot" link this as it's a good story.
China Quietly Launches Most Advanced Submarine

Obviously, "Most Advanced Submarine" is an unqualified statement in the Newsweek article, but hey, most of Newsweek is unqualified.Attachment Attached File

I 'kid'!!!! The phrase does it qualified right at the beginning. Couldn't resist!!!
China has recently launched what could be its most advanced diesel-electric submarine, according to a report, as it continues to expand its undersea fleet.

Naval News broke the story on Wednesday, but no official announcements were made by the country's defense ministry or navy. The report said the submarine could be a new variant of the Type 039A/B/C, also known as the Yuan-class under NATO terminology.

There are 48 diesel-electric-powered submarines in the Chinese Navy's service, and almost half of them (21) belong to the 3,600-ton Type 039A/B, according to a report released last year by the U.S. Department of Defense. The current variant, the Type 039C, has a sail with a stealthy design.

The new submarine was launched quietly in April at the Wuchang shipyard in central China. It was spotted by former U.S. Navy submariner and defense analyst Tom Shugart, who said in July that the submarine might have an x-shape stern that he had "not seen before on any Chinese submarine."
Attachment Attached File

Bear in mind, the following is entirely speculation:
H.I. Sutton, a maritime security analyst who writes for Naval News, noted the forward section of the new submarine was similar to the existing variant of the Yuan-class in terms of proportions. This indicated that their forward hulls, where sonar and torpedo functions are located, were similar in design.

However, the hull section behind the sail of the new submarine appeared "significantly longer," he observed. This might suggest that the submarine has a vertical launch system, or VLS, for firing missiles, a new armament addition that did not feature on the existing variant of the Yuan-class.
My interest is the number of Chinese boats:
Besides diesel-electric submarines, China operates six nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarines and six nuclear-powered attack submarines, according to the Pentagon's report. It is expected that the country's submarine force will grow to 65 units by 2025 and 80 units by 2035.

Meanwhile, China continues to expand the size of its non-nuclear-powered submarine fleet capable of launching advanced anti-ship cruise missiles, the report added. The Pentagon also said it expects a total of 25 or more Yuan-class submarines would be produced for the Chinese Navy by 2025.

Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Well, fuck.  Ignore what I said about Vietnam, a few posts ago.  Despite it hopefully just a case of playing both sides against the middle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zoinks:
Check this story out! First a little background,the previous premier was removed from power for corruption. It was a bit fishy as he wasn't pro-PRC, but apparently he's cool with their corruption?!?! There were enough witnesses that made any other point moot, so they get this new guy, and the new guy are the current President are not buddies and won't be. So, here we are!!!!!

Taiwan refutes strongly worded Vietnam-China statement
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Chinese leader Xi Jinping (   ) and Vietnamese President To Lam issued a joint statement on Tuesday (Aug. 20), referring to Taiwan as "an integral part of China's territory," which Taiwan's foreign ministry refuted.  

Lam, who became Vietnam's new leader in May, arrived in Beijing on Sunday (Aug. 18) for a three-day meeting with Xi. The two countries signed 14 documents, including deals on Chinese loans, technology to develop Vietnam's infrastructure, Vietnamese imports to China, an international railway connecting the two countries, and strengthened security ties.

The most recent statement used the strongest language yet vis-a-vis Taiwan, aligning Vietnam closer with China. Vietnam and China have released three joint statements since 2022, with the statement this month being the closest in wording to the official stance on Taiwan of the Chinese Communist Party.

In the statement, Vietnam "reaffirms its adherence to the "one-China" policy. It also "supports the peaceful development of cross-strait relations and opposes any form of "independent Taiwan."

In response, Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) issued a press release reiterating that Taiwan is a democratic country and that Taiwan and China are not subordinate to each other. The People's Republic of China has never ruled Taiwan, and only Taiwan's democratically elected government has the right to represent the Taiwanese people," MOFA added.

MOFA protested China's "repeated use of meetings with foreign leaders to make false remarks about Taiwan's sovereignty." It called on countries not to follow China's narratives that "downgrade Taiwan's status" and "rationalize its authoritarian expansion intentions."

Taiwan and Vietnam do not have formal diplomatic relations. However, MOFA pointed to the many recent people-to-people exchanges and cooperation in investment, trade, and tourism.
This doesn't just affect Taiwan. It also affects the Philippines. Vietnam, the Philippines and Taiwan have the most to lose against the PRC, and the PRC is starting to peel one away from the others.

Well, fuck.  Ignore what I said about Vietnam, a few posts ago.  Despite it hopefully just a case of playing both sides against the middle.
The funny thing about political corruption is "what goes around, comes around." China's Man will be replaced using the same mechanism. "How quickly" is the only question.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Push comes to shove, I think Vietnam, maybe Brazil, would hop in our orbit.  But yeah, lots of important minerals are in places not friendly to us.

South Africa, bluntly, is too important to be left to South Africans to decide what they'll do.
View Quote

How do we get to Vietnam in a war? Southeast Asia specifically Laos and Cambodia are in China camp and China has artificial islands in the South China Sea
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 11:59:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoinks] [#5]
I don't think a flight tracker will be posted tonight, but we've had two heavy days in a row. Here's the MND website, but the don't offer a graphic there. I'll catch it up in the morning.
PLA activities in the waters and airspace around Taiwan    Date  6 to 6 a.m. (UTC+8) Saturday to Sunday, Aug. 24-25
 PLA activities
12 PLA aircraft and 8 PLAN vessels and 4 official ship operating around Taiwan were detected up until 6 a.m. (UTC+8) today. 7 of the aircraft crossed the median line of the Taiwan Strait and entered Taiwan's southwestern ADIZ. ROC Armed Forces have monitored the situation and employed CAP aircraft, Navy vessels, and coastal missile systems in response to the detected activities.
View Quote
No where near as sexy as what the Taiwan News does!!

ETA:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Yesterday's Flight Tracker is here (25AUG24):
Taiwan tracks 12 Chinese military aircraft, 12 ships
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Taiwan tracked 12 Chinese military aircraft, eight naval vessels, and four official ships around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Saturday (Aug. 24) and 6 a.m. on Sunday.

Of the 12 People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, seven crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the nation's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

So far this month, Taiwan has tracked PLA aircraft 410 times and Chinese ships 230 times.
View Quote
So, that's quite the "let down" from the last two days. I always wonder why the sudden changes. How much of their planning is due to internal decisions inside the PLA/CCP structure, and how much "gravity" is given to external events. There are correlations to the flights and sailings, but if there's a formula for how much and when, I ain't seeing it.

We now bring you back to your scheduled post.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Back to our coverage of indiginous weapon systems, I offer:
Taiwan tests Albatross II drone during live-fire exercise
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The military deployed an Albatross II drone during Friday's (Aug. 23) live-fire drill, a military official said.

The drone's real-time information was transmitted through multiple channels and was sent back to various command and operations centers, providing real-time data, they said, per CNA. It also helped guide long-range coastal missiles to strike the target.

The official said the drone is designed for maritime reconnaissance missions, incorporating advanced domestic and foreign technologies. The Albatross II has an extended flight time, of up to 16 hours, and travels nearly 300 kilometers. It also has automatic short-field takeoff and landing capabilities, allowing it to operate from regular roads during wartime.

The drone can carry a variety of payloads, including an all-weather radar for maritime search and electronic surveillance equipment. The official said that with the help of satellites and AI technology, it can autonomously patrol and identify ships at sea, significantly improving maritime surveillance capabilities and expanding operational reach.

They said the drone will soon be mass-produced, adding that the UAV aligns with the military's force-building and equipment replacement plans.

Friday's drill saw the launching of Hsiung Feng II and III missiles from navy ships and the deployment of Mirage, IDF, and F-16 fighter jets.
View Quote
To repeat, it's going into production.

In some good political news:
Nikki Haley calls for UN hearing on Taiwan
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The United States should call on the United Nations to hold a hearing on Taiwan to counter China's "hijacking" of UN Resolution 2758, former U.S. Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley said Saturday (Aug. 24).

The former US diplomat was visiting Taiwan to present a keynote speech at the Ketagalan Forum security conference on Aug. 21. During her visit, she also met President Lai Ching-te (   ).

The UN passed Resolution 2758 in 1971, allowing China to join the global body. However, Beijing has since misused the text to say it supported its claims of sovereignty over Taiwan, even though the resolution does not mention Taiwan.

At a news conference in Taipei on Saturday, Haley said the US owed a debt of gratitude to Taiwan, per CNA. Washington should therefore join calls for the UN to host a hearing about China's misuse of the resolution.
View Quote

Taiwan should knock on the door of the Security Council and of the UN General Secretariat until it receives an answer, Haley added.

Asked what name Taiwan should use to apply for UN membership, she said that was a decision to be made by all the people in Taiwan. No matter what the decision was, China would throw a tantrum, but no matter what the decision was, the US should support Taiwan, according to Haley.
View Quote

If Washington decided to provide large-scale funding to the UN, then Taiwan should at least be granted observer status and membership of the World Health Organization (WHO), she said. Both parties in the U.S. should no longer restrict themselves to low-profile support for Taiwan's case, but take to the podium and tell the UN that now was the time for Taiwan to receive the treatment it deserved.
View Quote
I think this is about the 6th story on this subject so far this year. That's movement in the right direction.

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#6]
With your permission, I just wanted to "hot" link this as it's a good story.
China Quietly Launches Most Advanced Submarine

Obviously, "Most Advanced Submarine" is an unqualified statement in the Newsweek article, but hey, most of Newsweek is unqualified./media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/lame-85.gif

I 'kid'!!!! The phrase does it qualified right at the beginning. Couldn't resist!!!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1737/China_Quietly_Launches_Most_Advanced_Sub-3303987.JPG

Bear in mind, the following is entirely speculation:
My interest is the number of Chinese boats:

View Quote
Submarines are one area where China has a glaring hole in capability.  Their surface vessels appear to be very capable. The newer type 052 and type 055 are basically Burkes and Super burkes respectively.  The submarine capable world has apparently kept the lid on modern technology to such an extent that China hasn't been able to steal it.  I'm fairly sure that if they had the IP they could at least attempt to reproduce it.

Current Chinese nuclear boats are known to be very noisy. DE boats can very very stealthy but the sensor and other systems are thought to be several generations behind western tech.

Western subs have enjoyed at least a 1 generation advantage over Russian tech since the cold war.  The current Russian SSGN class is closer to parity with US subs than they have been since the 60s. The Chinese haven't place a lot of emphasis on nuclear subs.

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I edited in yesterday's flight tracker in the post above.
I also used the word "correlation."

I'll give you an example of what I mean.
There's a website called Timebie.com. Put any two places in the World, and it gives you the time differences. Even better news than that, it "scales" the time in half-hour increments thus reducing painful arithemtic chores.
TIMEBIE

Reuters published a story about the Hezbollah attack on Israel:
Hezbollah launches missile barrage at Israel to avenge top commander

Here's the leade:
JERUSALEM/BEIRUT, Aug 25 (Reuters) - Hezbollah launched hundreds of rockets and drones against Israel on Sunday in retaliation for the assassination of a senior commander in Beirut last month, the Iranian-backed movement said, as Israel's cabinet met to prepare a response.

Israeli jets hit targets in Lebanon shortly before the strikes as the military assessed that Hezbollah was preparing to begin the barrage, the military said.
View Quote

Here's the follow up:
Hezbollah said it had launched more than 320 Katyusha rockets towards Israel and hit 11 military targets. It said the barrage had completed "the first phase" of its response to the assassination of Fuad Shukr, a senior commander, in Beirut but that the full response would take "some time".
View Quote
We have two ways to look at this event:
  • Original plan went to shit when the Israeli Air Force hit targets before launch time, OR...
  • "'the first phase' of its response'" is looking like beginning of a multi-generational response "system" to ensure God's righteous vengeance.
No. 2 really seems like bull shit.

"the first phase" was ended before it began, and across the world, the bulk of PLA action also ended within 60 minutes of this event. Normally these are all day affairs hence the Taiwanese time frame of 0600 to 0600 of the next day. At the time both actions started, the South China Sea and the Eastern Mediterranean were on the Same Day (International Date Line). Now! is this accurate? It's a correlation. No real information backing it up, but at some point the shear weight of all of these correlations has to mean something.

Oh, and let me apologize for my sloppy grammar. Pain is kicking my ass this week. I'll fix the mistakes...eventually.

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Score Card!!!!!

Taiwan tracks 12 Chinese military aircraft, 11 ships
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 12 Chinese military aircraft, six naval vessels, and five official ships around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Sunday (Aug. 25) and 6 a.m. on Monday.

Of the 12 People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, six crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the country's central, southwestern, and eastern air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

So far this month, Taiwan has tracked PLA aircraft 422 times and Chinese ships 241 times.
View Quote
And we're back to a full work day of flying patterns.

Here's another story for another excercise, and I do believe that neither I nor Carmel have stated that the reason for the months chosen for live fire exercises are typicall around the months of October and April. That's when the water ways are the best for amphibious operations. It's an administrative oversight on our part. We're sorry.

Taiwan begins annual coastal defense exercise in Pingtung
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Taiwan is conducting the annual Tienma Exercise on Monday (Aug. 26) in Fangshan, Pingtung County as part of its efforts to bolster combat readiness.  

The Tienma Exercise is one of the most important annual drills, primarily involving Army and Marine Corps armored units, per Liberty Times. These units conduct live-fire drills to enhance their anti-armor capabilities in coastal defense.

During the live-fire exercise, some units will fire anti-armor TOW-2A missiles from mobile TOW-2B launchers during the day and night to test the weapons' thermal imaging and targeting capabilities, CNA reported. The day session will last from 12:30-5:30 p.m., while the nighttime session will be held from 6-8 p.m.

Taiwan currently operates the TOW-2A variant, which employs a "direct-attack" mode. It has a maximum range of 3,750 meters and can penetrate armor 102.5 cm thick. It can be launched from vehicles or helicopters.

The military is waiting for purchased TOW-2B missiles, which have a "top attack" mode and feature more advanced wireless guidance. Its range can exceed 4,500 meters and is primarily used to attack armored vehicles, and bunkers, or destroy invading landing ships in anti-landing operations. Delivery of the new missiles will be completed by the end of the year.

The Tienma Exercise comes just four days after the Navy and Air Force conducted drills launching numerous missiles, including Hsiung Feng III and Sky Sword II.
View Quote
I don't understand why the US just doesn't grant a license for manufacture to Taiwan. Enough TOWs have been lost intact in the Ukraine by now that the classified part is moot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Biden will deploy A. Blinken with srs. face engaged.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:03:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wineraner] [#10]
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

How do we get to Vietnam in a war? Southeast Asia specifically Laos and Cambodia are in China camp and China has artificial islands in the South China Sea
View All Quotes

Push comes to shove, I think Vietnam, maybe Brazil, would hop in our orbit.  But yeah, lots of important minerals are in places not friendly to us.

South Africa, bluntly, is too important to be left to South Africans to decide what they'll do.

From the West, via Thailand/Andaman Sea/Straits of Malacca.  And hopefully Indonesia plays ball.  

The Vietnamese have millenia of antipathy towards the Chinese, including a (comparatively) recent invasion.  We only went to war with them for a decade, and had the decency to leave.  Not the same.  

Laos, Cambodia are going to do what they do.  Unlikely they'll be a decisive theater.  A good set of highways from Thailand to Hue or Saigon, crossing Cambodia & Laos, would be helpful.

Ultimately, the question to the nations of SouthEast and East Asia is going to be, "What do your countries feel like would be the best possible outcome for your people and your growth?  Hegemony under a PRC government that will try to burden you with debt at best, and liquidate opposition at worst---see, Hong Kong---or industrialization and tourism to sell stuff to the West so you all can get rich?"

I don't know how they'll answer that.  China is a lot closer than we are.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#11]
USS Ralph Johnson completed a freedom of navigation through the Taiwan Strait today.
View All Quotes
USS Ralph Johnson completed a freedom of navigation through the Taiwan Strait today.
GoldenMead's been putting in some overtime here!!!  
US destroyer makes routine pass through Taiwan Strait
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The US 7th Fleet's Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Ralph Johnson (DDG 114) sailed through the Taiwan Strait on Thursday (Aug. 22).

According to the fleet's press release the routine transit is an act of freedom of navigation and in accordance with international law.

"The ship transited through a corridor in the Strait that is beyond the territorial sea of any coastal state," the fleet's commander said. "Ralph Johnson's transit through the Taiwan Strait demonstrates the US' commitment to upholding freedom of navigation for all nations as a principle."

The commander added that no member of the international community should be coerced into giving up their freedoms, per CNA.

"The US military flies, sails, and operates anywhere international law allows," the commander said.
The press release couldn't have been more vague! We can assume that since it's 7th Fleet, they're talking about the Pacific, and then through a "Straight", it could possibly be through the Taiwan Straight. Go Navy!!!

This actually segues into the following stories below.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#12]

From the West, via Thailand/Andaman Sea/Straits of Malacca.  And hopefully Indonesia plays ball.  

The Vietnamese have millenia of antipathy towards the Chinese, including a (comparatively) recent invasion.  We only went to war with them for a decade, and had the decency to leave.  Not the same.  

Laos, Cambodia are going to do what they do.  Unlikely they'll be a decisive theater.  A good set of highways from Thailand to Hue or Saigon, crossing Cambodia & Laos, would be helpful.

Ultimately, the question to the nations of SouthEast and East Asia is going to be, "What do your countries feel like would be the best possible outcome for your people and your growth?  Hegemony under a PRC government that will try to burden you with debt at best, and liquidate opposition at worst---see, Hong Kong---or industrialization and tourism to sell stuff to the West so you all can get rich?"

View Quote

I’m pretty sure Chiba will use Burma to impede what they don’t like crossing the Malacca straits and Laos and Cambodia are most certainly not going to allow traffic. You cited Cietnam historic hate, read up on Camboadia vs Vietnam historic hate. Laos is also another country with historical warfare with Vietnam. Nobody likes Vietnam in Southeast Asia. Vietnam relies on Russia for weapons

https://thediplomat.com/2024/07/laos-and-china-use-bri-funded-railway-to-bring-their-armies-together/

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:54:54 PM EDT
[#13]
The following are three stories interconnected.
I bookmarked one last week because it was an orphan; just out there all by itself unrelated to anything even the story under the leade.
US lawmaker arrives in Taiwan for high-level talks
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   US Representative Brad Wenstrup landed in Taiwan on Tuesday (Aug. 20) for high-level talks with government officials.

Wenstrup, the Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Pandemic chair, is visiting Taiwan from Aug. 19-21 as part of a larger Indo-Pacific trip, per the American Institute in Taiwan. He will meet with President Lai Ching-te (   ) and Vice President Hsiao Bi-khim (   ) to discuss regional security and Taiwan's participation in the World Health Organization. Wenstrup will also attend a banquet hosted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA).

The visit will provide Wenstrup's delegation with a deeper understanding of Taiwan's pandemic response mechanisms, public health infrastructure, and future epidemic prevention plans, MOFA said. His arrival is a "concrete demonstration" of the US Congress's support for Taiwan, it added.

The foreign ministry said Wenstrup is a staunch friend of Taiwan, having co-signed multiple letters backing Taiwan's participation in the World Health Assembly. In 2021, he also urged the Biden administration to include Taiwan in the first round of vaccine donations. MOFA said it will continue to deepen its partnership with the US and advance shared interests.

Wenstrup's trip comes after US Representative Marilyn Strickland's visit last week. Strickland also met with Lai, Hsiao, and the foreign minister to exchange views on bilateral relations and security concerns.
View Quote
I thought it odd that a mover and shaker like Brad here (never heard of him) would be out in Taiwan leading a delegation. We sort of covered the Marilyn Strickland visit as it was part of another story. I know many months ago the push started for Taiwan to be included in the WHO.

Plus, when you check out what's in red, that's stuff is already pretty well known which is why many people want Taiwan involved. I also looked Brad up, and he seems more than a decent guy. All of this could be as it seems or its good cover.

Next story:
Now this one ran a day later than our last story.
US and Chinese diplomats held secret meetings on Taiwan: Report
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   A new report has revealed a series of secret backchannel meetings held between top US and Chinese diplomats, with Taiwan as a central focus.

A Financial Times report on Monday (Aug. 26) disclosed several international, clandestine meetings between US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan and China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi (  ). The "strategic channel" was established at a time when US-China relations had reached their lowest point, with "all the issues stacked against the backdrop of the most sensitive topic in US-China relations Taiwan."

According to the report, the backchannel played a major role in lowering the risk of miscalculation by both countries when stakes were "extremely high." The first meeting between Sullivan and Wang occurred in May 2023 in Vienna, three months after the US shot down a Chinese "spy balloon" that had flown across North America.
View Quote

However, the balloon incident was only the tip of the iceberg that escalated tensions. In Alaska in March 2021, the first summit between Biden officials, led by US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, and Chinese diplomats, under former foreign minister Yang Jiechi (   ), ended in clashes.

Personalities were blamed as a reason the exchanges failed, and the Chinese side reportedly preferred communicating with Sullivan. The US also favored Wang, who "was focused on ensuring Sullivan understood China's perspective rather than scoring points," the report stated.
View Quote

I'm just adding this one in here for shits and giggles:
Some analysts were concerned that the US and China were moving towards a conflict involving Taiwan, especially after tensions flared in August 2022 when former US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi visited the country.
View Quote
Now, which analysts would these be?

Throughout the three backchannel meetings in Vienna, Malta, and Bangkok, the Chinese side consistently emphasized that Taiwan was the top issue, a "red line that should never be crossed." Wang stressed that Taiwan independence was the biggest challenge to US-China relations and a threat to cross-strait peace.

Beijing was also angered by the US sending weapons to Taiwan and training its military, viewing these actions as "interference in its domestic affairs" and provocation toward a conflict over Taiwan. However, the backchannel allowed Wang and Sullivan to discuss Taiwan "candidly," with China understanding that Washington has greater influence over Taipei. Sullivan clarified that the US was not trying to incite a conflict over Taiwan.

In addition to Taiwan, Wang objected to US export controls on technology and semiconductors, which Beijing accuses the US of imposing to contain its economy. Meanwhile, Sullivan accused China of providing support for Russia's attack on Ukraine.
View Quote

Sullivan has argued that while the US and China are in competition, cooperation in certain areas of mutual concern is still possible. China reportedly countered that cooperation cannot happen "while simultaneously undercutting China's interests."
View Quote
In all the stories we've done in the last 2.5 years, not once as there been a statement as it's in the US interest for a Taiwan, or words to that effect. Not Once!! Just the typical platitudes about peace with a small 'p'.

Last Story:
US national security advisor headed to China for security talks

Okay, for some reason, this meeting is publicized before the meeting while the previous ones were held in secret.
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan is set to hold talks with top Chinese officials on bilateral and global issues during his trip to China next week.

Sullivan's trip on Aug. 27-29 aligns with Washington's efforts "to responsibly manage the relationship" between the US and China, per a White House statement. His visit follows a series of meetings with China's top diplomat Wang Yi (  ) in 2023 and January.
View Quote

During a press conference on Friday (Aug. 23), a senior White House official reaffirmed that the US' "one China" policy is based on the Taiwan Relations Act, Three Communiques, and Six Assurances. They said the US opposes unilateral changes to the status quo and expects a peaceful resolution to cross-strait issues.
View Quote

The official said Sullivan would likely raise concerns about China's increased pressure against Taiwan and encourage Beijing to initiate dialogue with Taipei. They added that "everything that we have seen come out of Taipei indicates that the current leadership remains committed to maintaining status quo and peace and stability."
View Quote

China's foreign minister will have in-depth discussions with Sullivan on issues of strategic understanding between the US and China, CNA reported.

A Chinese foreign ministry official said Wang will express concerns on issues such as Taiwan, development rights, and strategic security. Taiwan is the primary red line in US-China relations, the Chinese official said, and "Taiwan independence" is the greatest risk to peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Hope springs Eternal!!!
Taiwan bought Harpoon 2 missiles!
Military announces 2nd Harpoon missile base in south Taiwan
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense announced plans for a second Harpoon missile base in Pingtung on Monday (Aug. 26).

The Navy Command began the bidding process for the Pingtung base in June, Liberty Times reported. After opening bids in mid-July, the final contract was awarded on Monday with an NT$1.28 billion (US$41.5 million) value.

The project is scheduled to begin at the end of August and is set to be completed by August 2027.

The command awarded a contract for the nation's first Harpoon missile base in Tainan last Thursday (Aug. 22). The military also plans to build a base in Kaohsiung.
View Quote
I keep posting names of geographical locations like I know where the hell they are. I don't!!

The US approved the sale of 100 sets of land-based Harpoon coastal defense systems to Taiwan in 2020. The proposed sale also included 400 RGM-84L-4 Block II land-launched Harpoon missiles, 411 missile containers, 100 mobile transport vehicles, and 25 radar vehicles.

Delivery of the weapons is expected to be completed by 2030.
View Quote
2030!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be really old by then!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's a couple of stories about China making it's move in the Social sphere. The one about New Zealand, totally expected.
Taiwanese driver told by New Zealand staff to say she's from Thailand
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   An employee at a driver and vehicle licensing agency in Auckland, New Zealand, reportedly told a Taiwanese woman to list her country of origin as Thailand when she applied for a driver's license.

New Zealand news media outlet Stuff reported on Sunday (Aug. 25) that a Taiwanese woman identified as Shiny Lai had applied to AA Westgate for a learner's permit after living in the country for two years with her New Zealand husband and three children. However, Lai said a staffer who "appeared to be a Chinese lady" informed her that the firm could not process her application because she had listed Taiwan as her place of birth.
View Quote

Here's a management statement for you:
Julian Travaglia, AA's Head of Centre Network, apologized for Lai's experience, which he said "falls short of our high service expectations." The agency stated that it is committed to serving "all people" and that its team did its best to process Lai's application.
View Quote
It's paperwork.
One looks it over for accuracy and completion.
If one is on fire and still manages to process the paperwork then you can say, "its team did its best to process Lai's application."
If the office is full of morons and retards, and they get peanut butter stains everywhere, then one can also say, "its team did its best to process Lai's application."

However, if the "team" has a poltical agenda at work where a poltical agenda does not belong, then one cannot, can't stress this enough, cannot say, "its team did its best to process Lai's application."
They send people to schools to learn this.
This, by the way, is our 'fun' story, so enjoy it.

Solomon Islands plans to push Taiwan out of Pacific Islands Forum
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Australian media reported that the Solomon Islands plans to push for the removal of Taiwan's observer status in the Pacific Islands Forum (PIF) this week, as China aims to strengthen its sway over the organization.

The Australian reported that Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese will attend the PIF in Nuku'alofa, Tonga on Tuesday (Aug. 27). Leaders are expected to support a new initiative proposed by Australia to establish a regional police response unit for natural disasters and security crises.

In 2022, PIF member countries rejected a multilateral security agreement proposed by China, supporting the "Pacific Family" policing agreement instead. This prompted Beijing to intensify its efforts to win over individual countries in the region.
View Quote

The report indicated that China will counter this by leveraging its closest regional ally, the Solomon Islands. The Pacific island nation said it will introduce a motion this week challenging Taiwan's participation in the 18-member forum.

A senior diplomat from a Pacific island country told The Australian that the Solomon Islands is acting on behalf of Beijing to block Taiwan from the 2025 PIF in the Solomon Islands' capital of Honiara.

"China is heavily lobbying all member countries on this. I would not be surprised if it is accepted," said the diplomat.

Another senior source revealed that Honiara authorities are receiving "clear tasking from China." It remains unclear whether it will succeed, as it might be seen as a risk to Pacific unity.
View Quote

The report's author said the Albanese government will resist any attempts to alter Taiwan's status at the forum. Last week, the Australian Senate passed a motion supporting Taiwan and condemning China's efforts to exclude Taiwan from international organizations.
View Quote

On Monday (Aug. 26), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced that Deputy Minister Tien Chung-kwang (   ) has led a delegation to Tonga to attend the 53rd PIF and the 29th Taiwan/ROC-PIF Dialogue Meeting. The visit aims to strengthen Taiwan's partnerships with Pacific allies and like-minded countries, it said.

The ministry emphasized that the PIF is "one of the most important international organizations in the Pacific region." Taiwan has participated as a "development partner" since 1993.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Definitely serious!
Somebody must've farted and he narrowed it down to a couple of guys to his left.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Singapore & Thailand are China buddies

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/2851821/china-thailand-joint-military-exercises-have-all-elements-needed-for-a-small-scale-war

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:30:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Folks, do not expect help, support or much from southeast Asian countries regarding China https://global.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202408/21/WS66c5445aa31060630b92421e.html

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I have two stories here with American politicians talking about the importance of Taiwan to the US. First one is Race Bannon and Ed Fuelner and the second is Nikki Haley.
Mike Pence condemns US isolationist views supporting ditching Taiwan

Nikki Haley supports Taiwan's UN and WHO membership

View All Quotes
I have two stories here with American politicians talking about the importance of Taiwan to the US. First one is Race Bannon and Ed Fuelner and the second is Nikki Haley.
Mike Pence condemns US isolationist views supporting ditching Taiwan
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The US should not give in to isolationism, but remain committed to helping Taiwan defend against China, former US Vice President Mike Pence and The Heritage Foundation founder Ed Feulner said in a Washington Post opinion article published Wednesday (Aug. 21).

America's partnership with Taiwan has been "a cornerstone" of US policy in the Indo-Pacific, Pence and Feulner argued. "Taiwan is a crucial barrier to the expansion of communist influence in the region," they said.

Nikki Haley supports Taiwan's UN and WHO membership
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   Taiwan deserves to be a full member of the United Nations and World Health Organization (WHO), former United States Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said Wednesday (Aug. 21).

She was a keynote speaker at the eighth edition of the Ketagalan Forum in Taipei City. Earlier in the day, President Lai Ching-te (   ) and former Japanese Prime Minister Noda Yoshihiko also addressed the security forum.

Haley mentioned the COVID-19 pandemic as a reason to allow Taiwan wider international recognition, CNA reported. China was still evading its responsibilities, but Taiwan was actively preventing the spread of the pandemic right from the start, showing it deserved more than many other countries to be invited to the table, she said.

The retired diplomat described Taiwan as "a place of courage, confidence, and unwavering resolve," while calling on the US and other free nations to "stand strong with Taiwan." The UN should stop ignoring Taiwan, but allow it full membership of the global community.

Haley said that when she started work at the UN, she found out that Taiwanese were not even allowed into its headquarters in New York, because China had persuaded people that Taiwan's almost 24 million people did not exist.

If anyone mentioned Taiwan at the UN, China would go crazy, she said. Yet, despite the pressure, more countries were moving closer to Taiwan, she said, mentioning Lithuania setting up a representative office, and Estonia considering doing so.

Haley also emphasized the need for strong defense assistance by the US and its allies for Taiwan, and expressed her support for a US-Taiwan free trade agreement as parts of a "diplomatic blitz" to raise Taipei's international profile, per Radio Taiwan International. If the free countries in the region stood together, they could dissuade China from trying to attack Taiwan, she said.

Taiwan has never applied for UN membership. China would veto it, but they've never even asked.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's some other things that also happened:
Taiwan military fires missiles during exercise

There's a FaceBook video on the page, but my computer security won't unblock it for me when I ask it to!!! Last couple of weeks, computers have been very uncooperative. I'm sure there's nothing to see here.

Then there's this story that's probably the best guess of them all:
Report warns China may use blockade to annex Taiwan's Kinmen

ETA: I cleverly forgot to add in the map!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1737/2024_08_23_bb7edd91c8334830a4e3168c08c7d-3303152.JPG
That's how close Kinmen Island is to the Fujian Province. In the subset map, the big white island is Taiwan. and the tiny little white dot next to the dark greay of the PRC is Kinmen Island.
View Quote

I've always thought Kinmen was a strategic liability for Taiwan, and they should just give it up.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:00:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lieh-tzu] [#25]
Originally Posted By xd341:
It would suck a bunch for us, but I don't think Europe would survive, at least at the level of prosperity they have come to enjoy.

As for it hurting us more than them, no.  It would vaporize the CCP.  It would shock the world and likely cause a depression, but losing the US and EU as customers would obliterate China.
View Quote

Bold matters. Losing the US would be an acceptable loss for China at some point. Only if the US convinces Europe to join it sanctions does China face a debilitating blow'
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Folks, do not expect help, support or much from southeast Asian countries regarding China https://global.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202408/21/WS66c5445aa31060630b92421e.html

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/IMG_0400-3305749.jpg
View Quote

I would hope that by now people are not depending on any SouthEast Asian country helping us vs China.  We have shown the world we are not a reliable partner. We just need to look at Afghanistan, how we have handled the Ukraine situation and the Red Sea.  Until we start leading with strength we won’t have many allies when we go up against China.  Many allies in Europe don’t look like they will be much help even with economic sanctions.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#27]

How did we lose Thailand? I'm not up on that history.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Like I said, listen to me now or believe me later https://www.reuters.com/breakingviews/intel-will-be-forced-find-plan-b-2024-08-26/
View Quote

Intel is a disaster even with all the subsidies from the chip act they probably won’t open a new chip fab in the US.

TSMC’s new Arizona facility is failing way behind as well. We’ll be lucky if it opens by 2028. Their 3rd fab they are building won’t be open until at least 2030 if we are lucky.

https://pr.tsmc.com/english/news/3122
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Lieh-tzu:

How did we lose Thailand? I'm not up on that history.
View Quote

Combination of Team Obama diplomacy and China economics/ #1tourism

https://www.reuters.com/article/world/thai-coup-draws-swift-condemnation-u-s-says-reviewing-aid-idUSKBN0E30BR/

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Score Card!! Then beddy-bye time for me!!

Taiwan tracks 15 Chinese military aircraft, 10 ships
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 15 Chinese military aircraft, seven naval vessels, and three official ships from 6 a.m. on Monday (Aug. 26) and 6 a.m. on Tuesday.

Of the 15 People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, nine crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the country's northern, central, southwestern, and eastern air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

0738 to 1843 - a full day of flying!
So far this month, Taiwan has tracked PLA aircraft 437 times and Chinese ships 251 times.
View Quote

This is an interesting story:

Pentagon seeks to enhance special forces training with Taiwan and other allies
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The US Department of Defense is requesting more flexibility from Congress to use its special forces more effectively in supporting American allies, including Taiwan.

Under a new proposal, US Special Operations Command would be able to provide training and equipment to foreign partners to counter "potential future threats," Business Insider reported.

In the case of Taiwan, which faces the threat of a Chinese invasion, enhanced training with American counterparts would increase their deterrence capabilities. Green Berets and Marine Raiders specialize in training US partners and could help Taiwanese troops turn the tide in a potential cross-strait conflict.  

In February, US Army Green Beret advisors were said to be stationed at bases in Taiwan's Kinmen and Penghu islands. They are reportedly conducting training sessions with Taiwanese special forces units.

Then-Defense Minister Chiu Kuo-cheng (   ) confirmed reports one month later that US special forces are stationed on outer islands to provide training. Chiu described the exchanges as taking place on a "regular basis."

US military personnel were also invited to this year's Han Kuang exercise to observe Taiwanese soldiers simulate enemy attacks. Chiu said American teams are sent to observe the exercise every year.

There would be "no increase or decrease in the number of US military personnel coming to Taiwan, but the frequency of their visits will increase," he added.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Saw it a couple days ago, waiting on some developments
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:42:40 PM EDT
[#32]

I've always thought Kinmen was a strategic liability for Taiwan, and they should just give it up.
View Quote
There's an interesting history here. After the GMT left the China and settled on Formosa, Kinmen is how the GMT continued the assualts against the PRC. It was useful to the US as well, so no doubt the US paid for it. In fact, when JFK was President, his threat of "unleashing" Chiang was taken very seriously by Mao.

As time passed, it all just settled down...until now.

Link Posted: 8/26/2024 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By xd341:
Submarines are one area where China has a glaring hole in capability.  Their surface vessels appear to be very capable. The newer type 052 and type 055 are basically Burkes and Super burkes respectively.  The submarine capable world has apparently kept the lid on modern technology to such an extent that China hasn't been able to steal it.  I'm fairly sure that if they had the IP they could at least attempt to reproduce it.

Current Chinese nuclear boats are known to be very noisy. DE boats can very very stealthy but the sensor and other systems are thought to be several generations behind western tech.

Western subs have enjoyed at least a 1 generation advantage over Russian tech since the cold war.  The current Russian SSGN class is closer to parity with US subs than they have been since the 60s. The Chinese haven't place a lot of emphasis on nuclear subs.

View Quote

China got the latest sub tech now as Russian licensed them their latest pneumatic dampener design, wave homing torp tech, and allowed their naval engineers to offer help, one of which is that all the pipes through the boat need to be sound isolated and on flex mount.

FYI, the Chinese retain 200+ Ukrainian naval engineers and naval designers on staff for the last 25 years. They are the reason that the PLAN now has reliable gas turbine and stream boilers.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:37:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:38:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:42:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:39:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:43:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#41]

Bold matters. Losing the US would be an acceptable loss for China at some point. Only if the US convinces Europe to join it sanctions does China face a debilitating blow'
View Quote
China could pull off a move that would separate the US and Europe.  My impression of the EU is that of extreme decadence.  They have not had to fund thier own security, they import incompatible cultures because they have convinced themselves that having children is evil for the planet.  They are essentially so pampered that life is boring and they have become culturally suicidal.  We are on the same path.

If they see a path forward with China economically, and if China can make the Russia security threat go away, I could see the EU switching alliances.  They resent the hegemony of the US.

Short of that the US is roughly half their business.  Losing half would be enough to destabilize the CCP and cause major changes. Losing the US and EU would be catastrophic. While the US and EU can fill some production gaps for each other it would be very painful on the manufacturing side, on the financial side probably even more so.

The best strategy moving forward is massive industrialization of the western hemisphere. It'll take more time than we have but we need to get serious about it or the world will continue to destabilize.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:58:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By TNgan:

China got the latest sub tech now as Russian licensed them their latest pneumatic dampener design, wave homing torp tech, and allowed their naval engineers to offer help, one of which is that all the pipes through the boat need to be sound isolated and on flex mount.

FYI, the Chinese retain 200+ Ukrainian naval engineers and naval designers on staff for the last 25 years. They are the reason that the PLAN now has reliable gas turbine and stream boilers.
View Quote
I don't know if sound mounts are the latest technology. I mean natural convection reactors are 40 years old.  Yes they have a Ukrainian gas turbine design. Not very helpful for submarines. The new DE boat they spotted might be a modernized Kilo, Russia likes to export and license those things, but sub tech is the holy grail, I doubt Russia will share the good stuff easily.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#44]
THE US military is open to consultations about escorting Philippine ships in the disputed South China Sea, the head of US Indo-Pacific Command said Tuesday amid a spike in hostilities between Beijing and Manila in the disputed waters.

https://www.manilatimes.net/2024/08/28/news/national/us-open-to-escorting-ph-ships/1967060
No paywall 👇
https://www.stripes.com/branches/navy/2024-08-27/us-military-escorting-philippine-ships-14990732.html

This would ruffle Beijings feathers if we did this and I hope we do.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:07:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Everybody gets a "Busy Beaver"Award!!!

Score Card!
Taiwan tracks 30 Chinese military aircraft, 8 ships
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of National Defense (MND) tracked 30 Chinese military aircraft, seven naval vessels, and one official ship around Taiwan between 6 a.m. on Tuesday (Aug. 27) and 6 a.m. on Wednesday.

Of the 30 People's Liberation Army (PLA) aircraft, 27 crossed the Taiwan Strait median line in the nation's central, southwestern, and eastern air defense identification zone (ADIZ), according to the MND.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

It took 20 hours to do 30 aircraftt! We're going to assume that a lot of Ground Control Agency issuing orders over a radio.
So far this month, Taiwan has tracked PLA aircraft 467 times and Chinese ships 259 times.
View Quote

We have an update to one of the stories I posted above:
Taiwan plans review of TOW missile tests
Only 7 out of 17 missiles hit their target
View Quote
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The military said Wednesday (Aug. 28) it would hold a meeting to evaluate the use of TOW missiles following reports that only seven of the 17 projectiles hit their target during drills this week.

The Aug. 26-27 tests in Pingtung County featured older TOW 2A anti-tank missiles launched by a new TOW 2B launcher mounted on a M1167 Humvee armored vehicle. Taiwan ordered 1,700 TOW 2B missiles and 100 launchers from the United States, with delivery of the missiles expected to be completed by the end of the year.

The low success rate of the older generation of tube-launched, optically tracked, wire-guided (TOW) missiles provoked questions by reporters about the efficiency of the weapons system, per CNA. The Ministry of National Defense (MND) said the focus of the Tien Ma drills was on familiarizing the officers with handling the missiles, with target accuracy coming in second place.
View Quote
Uh-ha.
Because they'll be getting a second chance to improve real quick.

Were they not sold simulators?
An evaluation meeting next week will review the training of the officers, and the efficiency of the weapons and the ammunition. The aim of the meeting is not to penalize the soldiers involved, but to adjust and improve plans for next year's edition of the annual Tien Ma exercises, the MND said.
View Quote

Here's an interesting story about a Taiwanese Gov't Office calculating the amount of Money China spent on military exercises in the region last year:
China spent US$15 billion on regional military operations last year
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Taiwanese government estimated China spent approximately US$15 billion (NT$478.56 billion) on military exercises in the Indo-Pacific region last year.

Government researchers counted all of China's regional naval and air operations in 2023, then calculated the cost of fuel and other consumables per hour, including maintenance and salaries, Reuters reported.

"This reveals the logic of allocation of their resources," a Taiwan official briefed on the research said. "They are spending a huge amount of resources trying to gain control of the west of the First Island Chain," they added.

Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense said, "The Chinese Communist Party's enormous military investment in recent years indeed has a negative impact on the peace and stability in the region, which is not conducive to global prosperity and development."
View Quote

The findings come as Taiwan approved its highest-ever defense budget for 2025 last week. The Cabinet revealed that the military will receive NT$647 billion next year, which is a 7.7% year-on-year increase and accounts for 2.45% of Taiwan's GDP.

The budget includes NT$90.4 billion to purchase new fighter jets and for missile production.

President Lai Ching-te (   ) has pledged to strengthen national defense through reforms and increase the defense budget.
View Quote

Taiwan recently held two live-fire military drills, testing its Hsiung Feng anti-ship and TOW anti-armor missiles. As the nation bolsters its defense capabilities, it is simultaneously deepening military cooperation with the US, which may enhance special forces training with Taiwanese counterparts.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I haven't ready Carmel's stoy yet as I was at the ER again!!! (I'm going to have my own room and staff there if this keeps up!!!)
But none of that's going to stop me from posting a follow up story, GD Style!!!!!!!!

Taiwan slams China for disrupting regional peace
TAIPEI (Taiwan News)   The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) condemned Beijing on Tuesday (Aug. 27) for violating other countries' sovereignty and disrupting regional peace.

The ministry said a Chinese Shaanxi Y-9 reconnaissance plane intrusion into Japanese airspace east of the Danjo Islands on Monday (Aug. 26) "seriously violated Japan's sovereignty and raised regional tensions."

The ministry said China's continued use of military aircraft and warships to intrude into Taiwan and Japan's air defense identification zones and exclusive economic zones has heightened regional tensions. It added China collaborates with Russia in conducting frequent military exercises in the East China Sea and South China Sea in an attempt to use force to change the status quo.

MOFA said China's military expansion poses a "major threat" to the security of countries in the Indo-Pacific region, including Taiwan and Japan.

The ministry called on China to "return to rationality and self-restraint," and to cease all actions that undermine peace in the Taiwan Strait and escalate regional tensions.

It said Taiwan will strengthen its self-defense capabilities, while continuing to cooperate with like-minded countries, including Japan, to "jointly deter the expansion and aggression of authoritarianism."

On Tuesday, MOFA retweeted a post by US Ambassador to Japan Rahm Emanuel criticizing the lack of a spirit of "love thy neighbor" in China's "good neighbor" policy. MOFA then criticized Beijing for intruding into Japan's airspace and ramming Philippine vessels.

The ministry said China's ambitions have "transcended Taiwan" to menace security in the region and called on democracies to unite to "counter this authoritarian push."

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Remember China says USA should exit Asia mind its own domestic business and let countries in East Asia thru ASEAN resolve Asian business https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/3276260/philippines-says-asean-remains-soft-china-over-maritime-row-risks-irrelevance

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 48
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top