Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Good. It was lobbyist horseshit anyway.
Oh wait that describes the entire federal government
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, am I hearing Disney had a special deal to run its own government, keep copyrights longer than other companies, and avoid taxes?

Did Walt Disney have blackmail photos of JFK with snow white and all 7 dwarfs?
View Quote

it sure helps you understand how large, overwhelmingly market dominant, corporations achieve such a status - Uncle Sugar's help.  Maybe the Jug Eared Dick Sucker was right, "you didn't build that"
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Say what you will about Disney, but that's not right and that sets a bad prescient. They spent millions of dollars acquiring or cultivating their IPs and it's their property. You'll own nothing and you'll like it I guess.

Unless I am really misunderstanding this while thing which I may be
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand, is this making it to where their original IPs like say Pirates of the Caribbean no longer belongs to them after a set period of time and then it's open to the public?
Correct. They become public domain. That doesn't mean Disney would stop selling them, it just means your great grandson wouldn't get sued for ripping toy story off of one of your old vhs tapes. Piracy is mainly a problem of distribution that's largely been solved in the internet age anyway. It would still be profitable  for them to sell their back catalog, and most watchers would still pay for it.

Say what you will about Disney, but that's not right and that sets a bad prescient. They spent millions of dollars acquiring or cultivating their IPs and it's their property. You'll own nothing and you'll like it I guess.

How long should a copyright last for before it becomes public domain?

It seems to me that nearly a century is more than sufficient to encourage artistic production.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would think that would apply to anyone's IP
View Quote
It would, and probably should. 56 years is still a generous amount of time. I still argue for 10, but at least would be open to the possibility of extensions for actively distributed IPs. It gets tricky when considering independent creators whose own works are their primary source of income. At the same time you end up in situations, for example, where an author's books are long out of print and were never distributed digitally. I like the old Ragnar Benson survival books, but the only legal way to acquire any of them now is by buying used copies at highly inflated prices. They're out of print, and I don't even know if Benson's still alive to profit off of them if they were in print.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2019/04/11/the-irs-gives-baseball-teams-a-break/. Baseball’s sweet deals are being threatened too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]
fuck Disney

but this is not cool. Intellectual property should not be stripped by a partisan.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sounds reasonable to me I suppose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This isn't really a shot at Disney. we've needed copyright reform for a long while. I've always been in favor of a 10 year cutoff period, personally.

Sounds reasonable to me I suppose.

Why have any copy right protection? Why not just make everything public domain  from the very second it is created? Write a book, song, or make a work of art; it should just all become the communal property of the people as soon as you tell a single other person about it.

...Sound kind of Communisty to me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
fuck Disney

but this is not cool. Intellectual property should not be stripped by a partisan.
View Quote

sincere question:  If copyright lasts for X years for everyone else, but one or several companies convince government to give them copyright protection for X+20years (for example), and that request is granted.  Is it really "stripping IP rights" if a later government puts the copyright protections back to X years?

I say no.

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why have any copy right protection? Why not just make everything public domain  from the very second it is created? Write a book, song, or make a work of art; it should just all become the communal property of the people as soon as you tell a single other person about it.

View Quote

You are missing the point. There are time frame limits on this, Disney somehow got preferential treatment and got much longer
time frames than everyone else. That is not equal protection under law.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#10]
So this was not exactly a special law for Disney, although it does positively impact them. I'm all for not extending the copyright period. I'm all for limiting works created after a date certain to 56 years. But there's a problem with retroactively stripping protection from works. For example, let's say you bought the publishing rights to a book that the law said was protected until 2025 and the investment was made in consideration of that protection. Now, the time period gets changed and the work is now public domain. I'm not sure how this would work, but the litigation would be epic.

Of note, Mickey Mouse goes public domain next year without an extension and I don't see that coming. So they're getting fucked either way.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Technically, the least communist solution would be to force corporations to protect their own IPs with private armies, if you want to be an annoying ANCAP.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It would, and probably should. 56 years is still a generous amount of time. I still argue for 10, but at least would be open to the possibility of extensions for actively distributed IPs. It gets tricky when considering independent creators whose own works are their primary source of income. At the same time you end up in situations, for example, where an author's books are long out of print and were never distributed digitally. I like the old Ragnar Benson survival books, but the only legal way to acquire any of them now is by buying used copies at highly inflated prices. They're out of print, and I don't even know if Benson's still alive to profit off of them if they were in print.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't this akin to telling you that in 56 years anyone can move into your house? Because that's basically how I'm interpreting this. Your property will no longer become your property just because you've owned it for awhile
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Isn't this akin to telling you that in 56 years anyone can move into your house? Because that's basically how I'm interpreting this. Your property will no longer become your property just because you've owned it for awhile
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The founding fathers only wanted you to have your own house for 28 years then.

The Congress first exercised its copyright powers with the Copyright Act of 1790. This act granted authors the exclusive right to publish and vend "maps, charts and books" for a term of 14 years. This 14-year term was renewable for one additional 14-year term, if the author was alive at the end of the first time. With exception of the provision on maps and charts the Copyright Act of 1790 is copied almost verbatim from the Statute of Anne.[3]

Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
While I would love to believe he's playing some crazy angle like that..I just can't at the current time.

Will gladly be wrong about it though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truly so.

Think about it - He can't challenge or speak out against them directly.

He wouldn't dare. He'd be eaten alive.

But he can stick the blame for staggering losses on them very directly, and then have the platform he wanted, from which to continue depoliticizing Disney.

Chapek is no dummy. He's turning wokism into a tar baby that the company and it's BoD will avoid touching for years to come.

I really do think this is his longer term strategy. Because simply has no other play, and political neutrality is already his stated direction.

"Get woke? .....Go broke."
While I would love to believe he's playing some crazy angle like that..I just can't at the current time.

Will gladly be wrong about it though.

I think he’s just in over his head dealing with the woketards and these are actually his own poor decisions in response.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries." - U.S. Const. Art 1, Sec. 8, Clause 8

Intellectual Property protection is a tradeoff between incentivizing the creator and inhibiting creativity and progress by prohibiting derivative works. It was never meant to be perpetual, and constitutionally CANNOT be perpetual.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Walt would have been very disheartened to see the company that bears name has become today.
View Quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You've got jokes!    He'd be thrilled beyond his wildest dreams to see what a media conglomerate his name has become and the billions it makes!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope this goes through.

There are some good arguments for it being lots shorter. My personal opinion is it shouldn't give a legacy to many generations of heirs to creations, but should allow a person to spend a lifetime with copyright control. So somewhere around the average productive age of an individual... 15 years old to 70 or so.

You guys wanting it 10 years have a point, but lots of stuff sits in book form until they make a movie out of it for a lot longer than that. Hollywood would just steal some of the great stories and proceed to fuck and woke them up. Maybe 10 years after the author's death or maximum 50 years. And if a corporation owns it, limit it to something like 20 years.

Copyright was intended to promote producing and then sharing through profit incentive. Not to create monopolies on things and lock them out from others forever.

Also, fuck Disney.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Disney has legions of lawyers.
If this passes there will be something heavier on the other end of the seesaw to counteract it.
View Quote
LOL.
Remember Bell?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You guys wanting it 10 years have a point, but lots of stuff sits in book form until they make a movie out of it for a lot longer than that. Hollywood would just steal some of the great stories and proceed to fuck and woke them up. Maybe 10 years after the author's death or maximum 50 years. And if a corporation owns it, limit it to something like 20 years.
View Quote
The issue with that, is that usually the publisher (a large corporation) ends up owning the copyright and IP. It's a common tale among all entertainment mediums for a creator to get cheated out of ownership, be that music, games, books, etc. Now ultimately, it is usually the case that they willingly signed those rights away, but it's harder to self publish and be successful, although that's another problem the internet is solving.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Disney received compensation and favortism for its wide appeal and virtue - That time has past.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#23]
You know, if they just stuck with being an entertainment company it wouldn't have been problem.  The problem for them is they shifted to being an activist company.  The real problem for us is they bought all the good media companies we enjoyed along the way ruining them for any who aren't woke. :\
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Turn the screws to Disney, Apple and Google.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#25]
FUCK Disney, hell, old Walt would saw FUCK Disney as it is today.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
fuck Disney

View Quote

They shouldn't have been granted in the first place.   Every time a piece of iconic Disney IP comes close to entering the public domain, Congress magically finds a reason to extend copyright protections out another 20 or 30 years.

Bear in mind, much of Disney's empire was built not on novel characters but on remaking old European fairytales into cartoons.  Public domain works.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a consumer, 10 years is awesome.

As a creator, 10 years would completely suck and I would be pissed.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#28]
now let's talk about pharmaceutical protections
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This isn't really a shot at Disney. we've needed copyright reform for a long while. I've always been in favor of a 10 year cutoff period, personally.
View Quote

I'm not sure I would go that far but 10 years after the creator has passed on would be reasonable.  I think the artists deserve to make money off of their work.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Walt immediately fired a cartoonist for drawing Mickey boinking Minnie at a party. For some reason the company has always drawn weirdos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its sad whet the insane sexual deviants have done to that company.

Disney was shit from the beginning.

Walt immediately fired a cartoonist for drawing Mickey boinking Minnie at a party. For some reason the company has always drawn weirdos.

It was about fantasy and escapism and it intentionally drew in the kids.

Of course that crowd were going to be attracted to it. By the definition it's a target rich environment.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it's not faaaaiiir! I want to sell Mickey Mouse cartoons too!
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Fuck that dirty old mouse RAT
View Quote

Fixed for you
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#33]
In B4 the upset people.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Its sad whet the insane sexual deviants have done to that company.
View Quote

And although the target of the shame are the artist at the parks the real deviants are the ones in the suits in the C suite and Board and the bankers than continue to fund those projects.

Imagine if the sort of hate manifested against the patriots of the January 6th protest and their supporters was instead directed at the groomers?

Disney/ESPN/Marvel/ABC/A&E (that's one company) could shut down the liberal agenda focused on the nation's children in a single day or two.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They shouldn't have been granted in the first place.   Every time a piece of iconic Disney IP comes close to entering the public domain, Congress magically finds a reason to extend copyright protections out another 20 or 30 years.

Bear in mind, much of Disney's empire was built not on novel characters but on remaking old European fairytales into cartoons.  Public domain works.
View Quote
Disney busily stole 70% of their stories by 'retelling' classics anyway. SOME of it was original and written there but a lot was old folklore tales they took and kept.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:47:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
As a creator, 10 years would completely suck and I would be pissed.
View Quote
I don't necessarily know that it would, because we don't see that in practice now. I have never heard a tale of a creator sitting pretty until their copyright expired, and then ended up in the flop house. More importantly, creators that self publish don't have the financial means to combat piracy anyway, so they mostly don't, and instead use it as an avenue to increase exposure to get word of mouth sales, or make monetize it through other means. Some now just outright release a work for free for that reason, and have effectively used that business model to create well known cultural icons that they now make a killing off of through merchandising. I don't think it's a one size fits all solution,  and as I said, I'd be open to extentions, but the internet has changed traditional distribution models significantly, and the maximally profitable model is no longer necessarily "just sell the work for x amount."
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:08:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:13:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:52:43 AM EDT
[#39]
It appears that 56 years goes back to 1909 law and reverses multiple extentions made since 1962.  I support this.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand, is this making it to where their original IPs like say Pirates of the Caribbean no longer belongs to them after a set period of time and then it's open to the public?
Correct. They become public domain. That doesn't mean Disney would stop selling them, it just means your great grandson wouldn't get sued for ripping toy story off of one of your old vhs tapes. Piracy is mainly a problem of distribution that's largely been solved in the internet age anyway. It would still be profitable  for them to sell their back catalog, and most watchers would still pay for it.

Same goes for drug companies. They create a new brand name medication and can be the exclusive sellers of said medication for a set number of years. Then, the generics made by other manufacturers can be sold. Plenty of people still buy the brand name and it’s still sold, but there are other options.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#41]
I don’t care. Pick a number. 56, 75, 90…but that’s the only number and covers both individuals and corporations the same.

The originator of the ip deserves to have care, custody, control and any potential profit over an expected average lifetime.
A slight edge to a number over 56 and under 100. Giving the originator of the work a full lifetime benefit of their creation.
Protections continue for the time span since copyright granted. Reguardless of ownership.

It gives all potentially involved a set window of exclusive profitability without bias.
Market by originator, Sell to corporation, disposal by heirs, etc. If it is truly unique it stays profitable right near the end of the term.
If it’s not that unique or ends up with significant competition. The profitability runs its course probably at least 10+ years early. If not sooner.

You made it. You get the best chance to profit from it. No matter what form that takes.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#42]
This is a direct attack on pansexualism. And cartoon science.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#43]
So the government is seizing (intellectual) property and declaring it public domain?

And ARFCOM thinks that’s a good thing?

WTF?

I despise Disney, but that’s just wrong, and sets a really bad precedent, unless I grossly misunderstand what’s going on here.

You own this property, but after X years, it’s not yours any more.

Wait until that’s your property…
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
"special copyright protections granted to the corporation by Congress"

Government in bed with corporations?  What is that called again?
View Quote

"Business as usual"
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#45]
I hope they ruin Disney and other companies take note. So sick of all this woke bs now.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Copyright law is absurd and an obvious product of bought politicians.   Invent the cure for cancer and you get 20 years,  after spending $100k patenting it.  Make a cartoon, Copyright basically for free, forever.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#47]
I wish I had the foresight to get all the Disney classics back when newsgroups were viable. But then again how was I supposed to know how completely off-the-rails retarded things were going to get in CURRENT YEAR?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Intellectual Property protection is a tradeoff between incentivizing the creator and inhibiting creativity and progress by prohibiting derivative works. It was never meant to be perpetual, and constitutionally CANNOT be perpetual.
View Quote
Correct. The Constitution authorizes "limited" time. The Supreme Court has determined that "Infinity minus one second" or some such would meet the definition of "limited". They tossed it back to Congress and said it was Congress's job to impose reasonable limits if they wanted to.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Who says newsgroups aren't viable?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:I say no.
View Quote

Good 'cuz that's not how it works.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top