Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Who the hell puts a school next to a prison?
View Quote
Depends on the neighborhood ,it would be logical in some urban area's.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a pretty decent outcome all things considered.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
We will likely see a terrorist attack with this shit soon. Drone dropping a pound of this shit,  over say, the super bowl could kill thousands easily. Entire thing fit in a small suitcase drone, drug bomb and all. Costs under $10k.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 2:42:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you didn't.
No shit.
Back in my day we died two or three times a week, not like these pussy kids these days fatally dying and shit, suck it up and get back to work, dying ain't no excuse to slack on the job.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In for verification......A prison seems a strange target.
View Quote
Drug smuggling attempt gone wrong?
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't we have a member that works up there as a CO ?
Anybody know if they have been heard from?
Maybe wrong state,i'm not sure now.

Bad stuff to have to be exposed to,for sure.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Something is going on across the border in Pennsylvania today as well.

http://www.goerie.com/news/20180829/7-from-sci-albion-hospitalized-all-pa-state-prisons-locked-down
View Quote
Sounds like dry runs to disable the guards and attempt a riot/prison break.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't we have a member that works up there as a CO ?
Anybody know if they have been heard from?
Maybe wrong state,i'm not sure now.

Bad stuff to have to be exposed to,for sure.
View Quote
I have sources.  None are talking.  Not even a peep.  If anything gets out to the public through unofficial channels I would expect heads to roll on this one over the leak.

My guess is one of the prison gangs has hooked into a bad batch.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In a mass exposure incident everyone is pretty much fucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
how long until we have to EDC narcan?
(seriously question)
I asked that in another thread a while ago. Apparently it's useless for that purpose because you need to keep administering narcan until the opioid has been metabolized from your system, which takes a lot longer than the initial dose of narcan will last.
The potential purpose of EDC'ing Narcan is to dose yourself/affected individual, to keep them alive long enough to get to medical help/observation.
In a mass exposure incident everyone is pretty much fucked.
As someone mentioned, use the time window to try to get to a facility outside the immediate area that will get swamped. Or home if you have a stockpile of it to administer periodically until you're out of the danger zone lol.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#11]
According to an article I just read, this type of thing has been going on since Aug. 18 here in PA.

Pennsylvania imposes immediate lockdown at all state prisons
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#12]
That is what happened in the final episode of OZ.

Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The Unioto schools, which are adjacent to the prison property, are on a cautionary lockdown, but the patrol has reported there is no danger to the public at this time
"School" can be synonymous with "prison," if you think about their parameters of function and purpose.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We're not interested in your sex life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s why I practice admin injection, speed injection, and tactical injection.
We're not interested in your sex life.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pretty sure u missed that reference... ;) think about woman’s anatomy for a brief second... wait for it.... wait for it....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The same type of person who puts a waste treatment facility next to a playground.
Or main water intakes downstream of 40 year old storage tanks.
Pretty sure u missed that reference... ;) think about woman’s anatomy for a brief second... wait for it.... wait for it....
Agreed, me thinks the joke went over his head.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

As someone mentioned, use the time window to try to get to a facility outside the immediate area that will get swamped. Or home if you have a stockpile of it to administer periodically until you're out of the danger zone lol.
View Quote
Supposedly, here where I live, the county health department was giving out Narcan at the county fair. I may have even seen that on the "news".
Also here, the police carry it, although as far as I know, they have never actually used it. They just call us.
All this pisses my boss off to no end. He says, they give out Narcan free to junkies. Somebody else gives out Narcan free to the police. And we are the only ones that actually use it, and have to pay for it with no hope of ever recouping the money.
And, he is right.

I agree that this is the latest boogy man and there is a hellava lot of drama going on. There is some new thing to be afraid of all the time. When that gets old, we will give you some other thing to make the headlines.
I am not saying this stuff is harmless, but some of the posts in this thread sound close to panic.
I work around junkies and in junkies houses all the time and I have absolutely no fear of this at all. Not because I am a bad ass, but I just don't buy into all the hype. Is it possible to become exposed and overdose by touching something ? Maybe. I have heard both ways and I have read papers on it; both ways. I always wondered how it is that some police officer arrests a guy and the police officer ODs, but the suspect is OK ?
Could some attack take place, yeah it could. Am I particularly worried about it; not really.

Someone mentioned Atropine. 15 years ago or something, a nerve agent attack was the big thing to fear. The fire department I worked for had a special box, kept locked up with the narcotics that has a large amount of Atropine in it. This was on every vehicle. The purpose of it was for us. It wasn't to be used to treat patients. It sat there for five or 10 years and expired and was thrown away.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Supposedly, here where I live, the county health department was giving out Narcan at the county fair. I may have even seen that on the "news".
Also here, the police carry it, although as far as I know, they have never actually used it. They just call us.
All this pisses my boss off to no end. He says, they give out Narcan free to junkies. Somebody else gives out Narcan free to the police. And we are the only ones that actually have to pay for it with no hope of ever recouping the money.
And, he is right.

I agree that this is the latest boogy man and there is a hellava lot of drama going on. There is some new thing to be afraid of all the time. When that gets old, we will give you some other thing to make the headlines.
I am not saying this stuff is harmless, but some of the posts in this thread sound close to panic.
I work around junkies and in junkies houses all the time and I have absolutely no fear of this at all. Not because I am a bad ass, but I just don't buy into all the hype. Is it possible to become exposed and overdose by touching something ? Maybe. I have heard both ways and I have read papers on it. I always wonder why some guy arrests a guy and the police officer ODs, but the suspect is OK ?
Could some attack take place, yeah it could. Am I particularly worried about it; not really.

Someone mentioned Atropine. 15 years ago or something, a nerve agent attack was the big thing to fear. The fire department I worked for had a special box, kept locked up with the narcotics that has a large amount of Atropine in it. This was on every vehicle. The purpose of it was for us. It wasn't to be used to treat patients. It sat there for five or 10 years and expired and was thrown away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All this pisses my boss off to no end. He says, they give out Narcan free to junkies. Somebody else gives out Narcan free to the police. And we are the only ones that actually have to pay for it with no hope of ever recouping the money.
And, he is right.

I work around junkies and in junkies houses all the time and I have absolutely no fear of this at all. Not because I am a bad ass, but I just don't buy into all the hype. Is it possible to become exposed and overdose by touching something ? Maybe. I have heard both ways and I have read papers on it. I always wonder why some guy arrests a guy and the police officer ODs, but the suspect is OK ?

We had them on all of our staffed rigs when I retired.  I'm pretty sure they were never updated.  It must have been a great contract that someone got to give those out.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We had them on all of our staffed rigs when I retired.  I'm pretty sure they were never updated.  It must have been a great contract that someone got to give those out.  
View Quote
There have been a LOT of people making money on all this. Starting with the instant experts that teach the classes and get hired by departments to implement plans to deal with it all.
I worked full time on a hazmat unit for years. They sent us to all the schools: the terrorism training center, the chem warfare thing at LSU, the radiological class at the Nevada Test Site, the bio weapons class at Anniston.......................... We worked closely with the Fusion Center...................
And at this point I am desensitized to the whole thing.
I am to the point that I wonder if a lot of this hype is for somebody to make another buck off the panic. I KNOW it does well for the media.
Now we need to stockpile Narcan..............and somebody sells Narcan and somebody manufactures Narcan. We could send our sales through the roof if only the right story broke now that they have decided not to restock the Atropine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 5:14:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There have been a LOT of people making money on all this. Starting with the instant experts that teach the classes and get hired by departments to implement plans to deal with it all.
I worked full time on a hazmat unit for years. They sent us to all the schools: the terrorism training center, the chem warfare thing at LSU, the radiological class at the Nevada Test Site, the bio weapons class at Anniston.......................... We worked closely with the Fusion Center...................
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We got a really nice (and expensive) drone, that when I left we had never finished the paperwork to operate let alone send anyone to training.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is it possible to become exposed and overdose by touching something ? Maybe. I have heard both ways and I have read papers on it; both ways. I always wondered how it is that some police officer arrests a guy and the police officer ODs, but the suspect is OK ?
View Quote
As far as I know there is not one documented case in the medical literature of true OD via this "wiped dust off my shirt" scenario. In fact, not sure I have found one documented valid OD of a first responder at all.
Exposure does not equal OD and its pretty poorly absorbed to be honest. In fact, transdermal exposure would take quite a while to reach OD.

Decent explanation.

https://www.ems1.com/opioids/articles/291433048-Fact-or-fiction-Transdermal-fentanyl-exposure/
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We will likely see a terrorist attack with this shit soon. Drone dropping a pound of this shit,  over say, the super bowl could kill thousands easily. Entire thing fit in a small suitcase drone, drug bomb and all. Costs under $10k.
View Quote
Reason number 87,000 why I don't like crowded events.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Odd, the chopper being shown right now has State Trooper on the side. I figured it would just have Ohio State Highway Patrol on it.

https://www.helis.com/database/pics/news/2015/h125_columbus.jpg

I know Ohioans are a bit slow on the uptake but I suspect they know there's a State Trooper in there.
View Quote
Cars always are labeled that way

Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#23]
This exact thing happen in Texas not to long ago. Officers were pulling pamphlets out from underneath the windshield wipers and it was causing them to overdose from the drug.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This exact thing happen in Texas not to long ago. Officers were pulling pamphlets out from underneath the windshield wipers and it was causing them to overdose from the drug.
View Quote
Sorry, but that didn’t happen
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#25]
In true bureaucratic fashion, they'll piss test the staff for the next two weeks and fire all of those exposed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/articleComments/Fentanyl-flyers-Harris-County-sheriff-vehicles-13027828.php
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:19:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/articleComments/Fentanyl-flyers-Harris-County-sheriff-vehicles-13027828.php
Really

Never react to the first report
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really?

Fake news.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#29]
In pursuit of truth, that articles doesn't outline an overdose at all.
In fact, it states 1 out of 20 flyers had traces of fentanyl (not necessarily the one she touched) and that someone went to the ER for light headedness.
Science tells us fentanyl is not absorbed fast enough dermally to cause an OD, and to date no first responder has ever received an overdose from dermal exposure. Exposure is not overdose but your article doesn't even state if she tested positive for exposure.

I posted a link above with statements from the American College of Medical Toxicology and the American Academy of Clinical Toxicology.

Edit: See above links. They beat me to it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:40:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Thank you for the follow up articles gentlemen.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sorry, but that didn't happen
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry, but that didn't happen
HOUSTON (AP) -- Harris County sheriff's officials say initial test results were wrong and flyers found on patrol cars and other vehicles were not tainted with fentanyl.
Authorities said in a statement Friday that an initial test done on a flyer found Tuesday by a sheriff's sergeant who later felt ill resulted in a positive finding for the opioid painkiller known to be more powerful than heroin.

But further testing was later done in a laboratory on 13 flyers, the sergeant's clothing and other samples. All proved negative for the drug.

Link to article
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thank you for the follow up articles gentlemen.
View Quote
Took a bunch of narcan to bring this cop out of it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/americas-heroin-epidemic/fentanyl-crisis-ohio-cop-accidentally-overdoses-during-drug-call-n759741

An Ohio police officer was “still miserable” but recovering Monday after he accidentally overdosed on a dangerous drug that has cut a deadly swath through his state — fentanyl.

Patrolman Chris Green of the East Liverpool Police Department had just finished searching the car of two suspected drug dealers and was back at the police station when another officer spotted some white powder on his shirt.

Without thinking, he brushed it off with his bare hand — and passed out about an hour later, Chief John Lane said. It took four doses of Narcan to revive him.

“This happened on Friday, but he’s still got a headache, his chest hurts, he’s lying on the couch,” Lane told NBC News. “He’s still miserable.”

Edit:

The guy with the drugs got six years for overdosing the cop.

https://www.wkbn.com/local-news/east-liverpool-man-sentenced-for-police-officers-overdose-last-year/1097983491
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The same type of person who puts a waste treatment facility next to a playground.
View Quote
I understand that reference.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Any update?
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 11:29:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Took a bunch of narcan to bring this cop out of it.

Edit:

The guy with the drugs got six years for overdosing the cop.
View Quote
Gentlemen, we need to be reading these articles with our thinking caps on. What someone tells a reporter doesn't make it so. We know science tells us fentanyl can't be absorbed in that way, so lets examine the articles.

My post above addressed this specific incident. The officer did not in fact "pass out", in his own words he experienced "I started talking weird. I slowly felt my body shutting down. I could hear them talking, but I couldn't respond. I was in total shock" - these are not in fact symptoms of opiod overdose. He was given one dose of narcan and transported to the hospital. Narcan is a reversal for respiratory arrest, he did not experience respiratory arrest, failure, or distress. I've yet to see any documents showing he actually had an opiod exposure at all. Just because someone injects you with narcan doesn't an opiod overdose make.

Also, the perp was charged with trafficking cocaine and heroin, possession, tampering, and assault of a peace officer. None of those are overdosing a police officer with fentanyl.

These articles are all short of facts, way short. The few facts we do have is that fentanyl cannot be absorbed dermally in those doses or at those speeds. Period.
Again, I'll state it. There has not been one documented case of overdose of a first responder through dermal absorption. Not one, including the one outlined in the above article.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Also, the perp was charged with trafficking cocaine and heroin, possession, tampering, and assault of a peace officer. None of those are overdosing a police officer with fentanyl.

These articles are all short of facts, way short. The few facts we do have is that fentanyl cannot be absorbed dermally in those doses or at those speeds. Period.
Again, I'll state it. There has not been one documented case of overdose of a first responder through dermal absorption. Not one, including the one outlined in the above article.
View Quote
An East Liverpool man will spend over six years in prison after pleading guilty to assaulting a police officer with fentanyl last spring.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

An East Liverpool man will spend over six years in prison after pleading guilty to assaulting a police officer with fentanyl last spring.
View Quote
Did you read the article you posted? I quoted directly from it. There is no "fentanyl assault" legal charge.
You are quoting a reporters words. Look up his legal case and the charges brought.
The facts are there, you choose what to do with them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:21:01 AM EDT
[#38]
My understanding is that you don't even need to use Narcan if you can bag someone while they are transported.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 1:24:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My understanding is that you don't even need to use Narcan if you can bag someone while they are transported.
View Quote
How can I carry that on my EDC?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:10:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or main water intakes downstream of 40 year old storage tanks.
Way over my head.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Any new updates, OP?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:24:53 AM EDT
[#42]
If true, the prison wasn't a target.  A stupid fuck of an inmate was hiding it and it ended up affecting people.  Just hope the Officers are ok, and may a pox be upon the inmates.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Back in my day we died two or three times a week, not like these pussy kids these days fatally dying and shit, suck it up and get back to work, dying ain't no excuse to slack on the job.
View Quote
Hell, I died 3 times before I hit 17. Was back at work the next day.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

As far as I know there is not one documented case in the medical literature of true OD via this "wiped dust off my shirt" scenario. In fact, not sure I have found one documented valid OD of a first responder at all.
Exposure does not equal OD and its pretty poorly absorbed to be honest. In fact, transdermal exposure would take quite a while to reach OD.

Decent explanation.

https://www.ems1.com/opioids/articles/291433048-Fact-or-fiction-Transdermal-fentanyl-exposure/
View Quote
True. Even transdermal fentanyl patches takes hours to get into the system.  The only way I can see an immediate type OD exposure is if a person got it on their hands and then touched mucosal surface with it.  You'd be amazed at how often you get your hands into your eyes, nose, and mouth without even realizing it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

True. Even transdermal fentanyl patches takes hours to get into the system.  The only way I can see an immediate type OD exposure is if a person got it on their hands and then touched mucosal surface with it.  You'd be amazed at how often you get your hands into your eyes, nose, and mouth without even realizing it.
View Quote
Yeah, good point, it certainly absorbs better that way, but still not in OD dosages.
The pain dosing for fentanyl is 1-2 mcg per kg per hour. So lets say we have a 220 lb man (for easy math) thats 100 kgs. So he would need to absorb a good deal more than 200 mcg within seconds to minutes. Thats a lot of volume to rub into your eye, let alone absorb before blinking, or wiping it away. Certainly a lot to do unknowingly.

Now we start having this conversation about carfentanyl and there is something to discuss. Still not the boogeyman people make it out to be though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Just for the true doubters in the room, here is an article containing a video of someone putting powdered fentayl on their skin.

https://slate.com/technology/2018/08/touching-fentanyl-is-not-dangerous-could-this-video-finally-prove-that.html
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Just for the true doubters in the room, here is an article containing a video of someone putting powdered fentayl on their skin.

https://slate.com/technology/2018/08/touching-fentanyl-is-not-dangerous-could-this-video-finally-prove-that.html
View Quote
Is carfentanil the same way or can it be absorbed through skin?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Hell, I died 3 times before I hit 17. Was back at work the next day.
View Quote
I died uphill.

In the winter.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Civil planners/engineers from Pakistan maybe?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Civil planners/engineers from Pakistan maybe?
Ohio yet again. Town I grew up in had a park next to one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Decent explanation.

View Quote
FWIW: I wanted to say the same thing but I didn't want to get in a pissing match, not did I want to research and post links. So, I toned down my post.

This whole thing of people casually touching something and overdosing are bullshit. It's a fact. (With Fentanyl)

I posted that same article on Facebook months ago.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top