Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:04:53 AM EDT
[#5]
GOTDAMN!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#6]
A question for the BTC maxis.

Let’s say that five years from now, BTC becomes the world’s reserve currency. Using the max BTC supply and the number of people on the planet, the result is about 270,000 sats per person. That doesn’t include institutional holders, lost coins, and current supply calculations, so the number available per person will be much lower.

Is the supply too low to support commerce?

Do you envision sub tokens or alts that will have higher supply numbers that will be used to pay for everyday expenses?

Don’t misinterpret my question as criticism, I’m just curious about the logistics. I still believe that BTC is basically “perfect money” when it comes to supply/inflation. But how would the rest of the monetary ecosystem work?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:06:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1975] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thesilvercord:
Originally Posted By Bale2011:
Originally Posted By swampvol:

I bought a bag of Decentraland (MANA) last night @ $1.26 after the Facebook news and I’m riding the wave. Japanese MGTOWs living in their virtual reality world gonna make me a fortune.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259519/A485CF2F-949B-4F95-940F-F605A9CCDB97_jpe-2148470.JPG

I was eying some of that last night at 1.31. Decided not to.

Congrats!

Not shilling, but look for a dip when it hits $2 soon.

Here we go..

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/327183/B42DE359-6444-4487-AF92-53FF2767351A_jpe-2148489.JPG

Holy hell!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I’d say shitcoin season is here, in full effect! Congrats to the multi-baggers!
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By goloud:

Let’s say that five years from now, BTC becomes the world’s reserve currency. Using the max BTC supply and the number of people on the planet, the result is about 270,000 sats per person. That doesn’t include institutional holders, lost coins, and current supply calculations, so the number available per person will be much lower.

Do you envision sub tokens or alts that will have higher supply numbers that will be used to pay for everyday expenses?

Don’t misinterpret my question as criticism, I’m just curious about the logistics. I still believe that BTC is basically “perfect money” when it comes to supply/inflation. But how would the rest of the monetary ecosystem work?
View Quote

I'm, by far, not an expert in this area.  However, I think I can provide some insight

It doesn't matter how many BTC are in existence.  BTC is just a name and a monetary value When 1 BTC can be subdivided into Sats, it remains a unit of monetary exchange.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I watched an interview with Robert Breedlove where he explained that satoshis could be easily divided by using a simple softfork.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#11]

I watched an interview with Robert Breedlove where he explained that satoshis could be easily divided by using a simple softfork.
View Quote

That makes sense.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#12]

That makes sense.
View Quote

It's explained in this video that Bale provided:

STOP SAVING MONEY! How To Invest In Crypto & Avoid The DOLLAR CRISIS | Robert Breedlove

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Brahmzy:
I’d say shitcoin season is here, in full effect! Congrats to the multi-baggers!
View Quote

Vertcoin VTC doubled out if nowhere. Anyone else remember this coin??
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#14]
U.S. regulators exploring how banks could hold crypto assets - FDIC chairman

Banks want into the space due to money outflows. They know once money leaves the institution its usually stays gone. If crypto become insured and banks can hold them is opens the door to 100 banks and potentially a huge customer base. Only 50 million americans hold crypto now
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:45:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WrightP] [#15]

I'll ride a little while...

Eta: caught it at $2 and now it's at $2.30. Thanks for bringing it up.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:45:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jagrmaister] [#16]

View All Quotes

The network will eventually adopt 0's to the right creating fractional sats.

As to the coin loss, it may be as much as 4% annually. It's a hypothesis now there may only be 14 million bitcoin at the end of the day to go around to 8 billion people due to lost wallets, death, and human error. Each year it will be less.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:58:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow, MANA just popped up almost $1 in the last hour.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

BTC will never become the world's reserve currency.  It's a legacy blockchain.  There are too many problems with it to even begin to list.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:06:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By WrightP:
Wow, MANA just popped up almost $1 in the last hour.
View Quote

It’s been insane. I got out @ $2.37 after the first big run up and then back in @ $1.98.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Optimal:

Banks want into the space due to money outflows. They know once money leaves the institution its usually stays gone. If crypto become insured and banks can hold them is opens the door to 100 banks and potentially a huge customer base. Only 50 million americans hold crypto now
View Quote

"only" . Seems like a pretty large percentage to me. I assume some are too old and some are too young in our population to hold crypto. Maybe 25%? So we have 330 mil. 22% under 18. 26% over 65. Now that 50 million seems pretty substantial. I would have thought it was much lower. If that number is true then the banks are too late. They can't stop the wheel from turning. They are probably too late to even get on board the way they would have liked and have a huge chunk of power.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:13:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By devildog93:

"only" . Seems like a pretty large percentage to me. I assume some are too old and some are too young in our population to hold crypto. Maybe 25%? So we have 330 mil. 22% under 18. 26% over 65. Now that 50 million seems pretty substantial. I would have thought it was much lower. If that number is true then the banks are too late. They can't stop the wheel from turning. They are probably too late to even get on board the way they would have liked and have a huge chunk of power.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By devildog93:
Originally Posted By Optimal:

Way too late for the little regional branch banks and credit unions.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:38:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Mr_Psmith:

You are missing a fireproof steel backup of your (Trezor’s) seed phrase.

I would also encourage you to consider DCA that 60k, even if it is 20k at a time x3 or 15kx4 over a period of weeks or months. If market rises in that period of time, you’ll not be significantly worse off in 10 years. If market falls, you’ll have a much better entry.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PFran42:
So I've been handling 95% of my crypto in Coinbase/Coinbase Pro but I've gotten a bit more serious in regards to accumulating and HODLing long-term after seeing the InvestAnswers video on 3 BTC for retirement.

I've never moved more than $1K in fiat per day into Coinbase but I am about to make a $60K move so that I can grab another full coin.

As of this evening, for my wife and I, I've configured 4 Yubikey 5 NFC USB dongles (primary and backup for each of us), 2 Trezor T cold wallets and 2 Coinbase Pro accounts. I have also, taken a retired MacBook Pro (runs great, just mothballed due to me getting new laptops frequently as a function of my line of work) and wiped/reset/encrypted the machine as it will be the sole touchpoint for the cold wallets and any $10K+ purchases. All local and online passwords are new and being generated by LastPass with the end goal being you could torture me and I wouldn't be able to tell you what any of my passwords are. Any crypto related online entity that touches my money now requires the use of a physical 2FA key and the plan going forward is to move any non-shitcoins over to cold storage as soon as they are purchased.

Looking for some advice on how to best handle crypto purchases, movement of said assets, etc. as I am a little worried that I may be missing something. Is there a better exchange with better security, lower rates, etc.? Basically, I'm looking for some of the been-there-done-that crowd to pass down some best practices. For my family, the big money, investments, nest eggs, etc. have always resided at the banks, brokers, etc. and to be honest, having high worth assets sitting on a 1 oz. plastic electronic device in a safe just a few ft from me 24/7/365 has me wanting to conduct extra due dilligence.

I would also encourage you to consider DCA that 60k, even if it is 20k at a time x3 or 15kx4 over a period of weeks or months. If market rises in that period of time, you’ll not be significantly worse off in 10 years. If market falls, you’ll have a much better entry.

I’m not saying FOMO in but November and December have been historically good months in a bull run.

Bitcoin: A Realistic Price Prediction For This Market Cycle (buckle up)

In the end, as long as you buy and have a long enough time horizon, you’ll be golden.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#23]

I bought a bag of Decentraland (MANA) last night @ $1.26 after the Facebook news and I’m riding the wave. Japanese MGTOWs living in their virtual reality world gonna make me a fortune.
View Quote

Just traded in some spare DOGE in a secondary wallet for MANA at $2.48....may be late to the party, but figured it was worth a shot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#24]

So every single non traditional crypto lol. No btc, ltc, ethereum barely made it.
Me thinks this is not a fundamental change but a short term fad
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Thats why i think litecoin is more suited for that job, faster transactions, 4x supply but still capped limit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:46:43 AM EDT
[#26]
"Live" coverage of the MANA price:

https://cryptowat.ch/charts/BINANCE:MANA-BUSD
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Naporter:

CDC is fine if you just want to buy and hodl, but it's horrible for trying to trade to play price swings.  They have an exchange, but it's not available in the US.  Getting cash in isn't as easy as it is on Coinbase either.  Wouldn't know about out since I have one of their cards and can just use it to spend anything I'd want to withdraw.

I've heard bad things about their customer service, but even the worst of those stories beats Coinbase's seemingly non-existent CS.
View Quote

I use to just flip crypto including btc. I sold out at a little over $9900 and felt like a genius since it wouldn’t break through and stay over 10k long.

Of course now i wish i still had those coins.

Plan is to flip where possible (shib for instance) never go broke taking profits. Take those profits and move to btc when btc price looks tempting. Hodl in btc for long term. Basically take profit on flips and Let original value ride out the coins, move profit for long term to btc.

One thing i do want is being able to get in on coins when theyre cheap even if it takes months+ for them to catch on (shib for instance)

I dont want 5 exchanges and wallets.

I do want a decent way to add funds, I understand transferring from wallet to exchange to xlm to usdt etc is bound to cause lots of transaction fees, would prefer a simpler process to add funds and not lose as much value getting it in there.

And eventually the ability to withdraw to bank account for purchase of islands, yachts, homes, sports cars etc. lol

Thanks again for racking your brain(s)
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#28]
The mana was a difficult play. I got in around 220 with a short saw it go +150% and then reverse got liqudiated waited a few minutes and went back in got +60% and closed and then had another 10x leverage short at 2.50 and currently in profit on the retrace 85%

Just gotta wait it out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#29]

What are you doing to protect your seed phrase(s)? Multiple bomb-proof backups at different undisclosed locations? Remember the little 1oz piece of plastic holds nothing. It’s your seed phrase(s) that you have to really protect. The global blockchain holds your assets.
View Quote

@Brahmzy

I have the seed phrase bomb proof containers en route and will be dividing them up between 3 locations

Thanks for the reframing of what a cold wallet actually is.

One question:

What if your cold wallet manufacturer goes out of business/gets shut down/act of God, etc., the software layer that allows send/receive is no longer updated and your cold wallet got bricked by moisture ingress?

For example, you place $200K in a Trezor wallet, place it in your safe and then go off on a 3 year island hopping expedition. When you come back, you learn that Trezor has been out of business for 2 years and your device is bricked. You still have the seed phrase but that is about it. Does the Blockchain map seed phrase > wallet address > wallet amount?

I'm trying to focus on backup strategies, back end infrastructure, recovery mechanisms, etc. instead of just being memorized by watching green candlesticks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Your seed phrase is compatible among various wallets.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:42:00 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

I plan on DCA, but after the initial buy in. I want to get my wife's funds converted ASAP as she will be visiting the co-lo site (where her cold wallet will be stored) in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TheTech-1:

I use to just flip crypto including btc. I sold out at a little over $9900 and felt like a genius since it wouldn’t break through and stay over 10k long.

Plan is to flip where possible (shib for instance) never go broke taking profits. Take those profits and move to btc when btc price looks tempting. Hodl in btc for long term. Basically take profit on flips and Let original value ride out the coins, move profit for long term to btc.

One thing i do want is being able to get in on coins when theyre cheap even if it takes months+ for them to catch on (shib for instance)

I do want a decent way to add funds, I understand transferring from wallet to exchange to xlm to usdt etc is bound to cause lots of transaction fees, would prefer a simpler process to add funds and not lose as much value getting it in there.

And eventually the ability to withdraw to bank account for purchase of islands, yachts, homes, sports cars etc. lol

View All Quotes

CDC is fine if you just want to buy and hodl, but it's horrible for trying to trade to play price swings.  They have an exchange, but it's not available in the US.  Getting cash in isn't as easy as it is on Coinbase either.  Wouldn't know about out since I have one of their cards and can just use it to spend anything I'd want to withdraw.

I've heard bad things about their customer service, but even the worst of those stories beats Coinbase's seemingly non-existent CS.

Getting money in isn't that difficult, it's just not as convenient as Binance or Coinbase.  You can't initiate a deposit in the app and have them debit your bank account like the other two. They give you ACH numbers and you do a bank to bank transfer.

The fastest way I've found to do smaller amounts is to send it to Apple Cash and withdraw to CDC. It takes days coming from my bank. Apple gets it there in hours.

If you get the card though, top ups to the card can't be used to buy crypto like you can over at Coinbase.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#33]

@Brahmzy

I have the seed phrase bomb proof containers en route and will be dividing them up between 3 locations

Thanks for the reframing of what a cold wallet actually is.

One question:

What if your cold wallet manufacturer goes out of business/gets shut down/act of God, etc., the software layer that allows send/receive is no longer updated and your cold wallet got bricked by moisture ingress?

For example, you place $200K in a Trezor wallet, place it in your safe and then go off on a 3 year island hopping expedition. When you come back, you learn that Trezor has been out of business for 2 years and your device is bricked. You still have the seed phrase but that is about it. Does the Blockchain map seed phrase > wallet address > wallet amount?

I'm trying to focus on backup strategies, back end infrastructure, recovery mechanisms, etc. instead of just being memorized by watching green candlesticks.
View Quote

BIP39 is the standard for seed phrases.  As long as there's always BIP39 wallets you can buy (which there always will be), you're good.

https://www.blockplate.com/blogs/blockplate/list-of-bip39-wallets-mnemonic-seed
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Keep in mind that a SAT (mathematically) can be infinitely divisible. You can't "print" more BTC but you can gain more purchasing power with less.

Currently, 1,634 Satoshi (SAT) equals $1. As the value of BTC goes up, we will eventually reach parity (1 SAT = $1) at which point we'll need a layer 2 mechanism for further subdividing the SAT, maybe something like a SATCent.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Bitcoin layer 2s (right now, that is mostly just lightning) can transact in sub-Satoshi amounts already.

disclaimer: not actually a maxi
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#36]

BIP39 is the standard for seed phrases.  As long as there's always BIP39 wallets you can buy (which there always will be), you're good.

View Quote

Thanks!

So seed phrase preservation is everything. I feel much better about my long-term strategy now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Thanks!

So seed phrase preservation is everything. I feel much better about my long-term strategy now.
View All Quotes

Thanks!

Please also read up on HD wallets and derivation paths; or at least bookmark the information for later. Trezor uses the notion of "Account" in BIP49 and BIP84 paths. This might save you grief later if you restore from seed and think that some of your funds are missing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Does anyone already have a ⚡ lightning node ⚡set up and want to establish a payment channel with me?

Alternatively, I can point you in the right direction of setting up a lightning node and we can then establish a channel.

In all seriousness I think in the next 5 years that 2A will become increasingly marginalized and it will be important for individuals and industry to be able to transact outside traditional financial rails.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:31:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTech-1] [#39]

Getting money in isn't that difficult, it's just not as convenient as Binance or Coinbase.  You can't initiate a deposit in the app and have them debit your bank account like the other two. They give you ACH numbers and you do a bank to bank transfer.

The fastest way I've found to do smaller amounts is to send it to Apple Cash and withdraw to CDC. It takes days coming from my bank. Apple gets it there in hours.

If you get the card though, top ups to the card can't be used to buy crypto like you can over at Coinbase.
View Quote

Ok sounds like a good case to get coinbase then appreciate the details!
And does coinbase have access to say dogelon coin, babydoge? Stuff that’s pretty new?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

Yeah thats one problem if the adoption rate is high enough. A satoshi will be able to buy several loaves of bread. It's not divisible enough. They could find a way to add extra decimal places or some alt might fill in...
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By RockMech:

Just traded in some spare DOGE in a secondary wallet for MANA at $2.48....may be late to the party, but figured it was worth a shot.
View All Quotes

Trending up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#42]

And does coinbase have access to say dogelon coin, babydoge? Stuff that’s pretty new?
View All Quotes

No. Dogelon would need to be bought on a DEX or one of the more permissive CEX like BitMart.  Coinbase is more selective of what they list.

I think Baby Doge is BSC, so I wouldn't count on it ever getting to Coinbase unless they get on a different chain.

If you want to play shit coins, buying them on a CEX like Coinbase is usually way too late to see the massive gains.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#43]
"Live" coverage of the MANA price:

https://cryptowat.ch/charts/BINANCE:MANA-BUSD
View Quote
Fuck me....

Glad I bought some while sitting in the grocery store parking lot thus morning when it was 2.05
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Broke $3
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:47:50 PM EDT
[#45]
C'mon $100 MANA!!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#46]
You guys buying MANA to hold or dump?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By xmission:
You guys buying MANA to hold or dump?
View Quote
People buy alt coins to make more fiat.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
View Quote

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should buy in at this price, and if the thought is that this will continue to rise for a while, or if it's just a quick pump and dump.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#49]
MANA at $3.5 now.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By xmission:
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
View Quote

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should buy in at this price, and if the thought is that this will continue to rise for a while, or if it's just a quick pump and dump.
View Quote

Page / 519
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top