Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm surprised Boeing hasn't listed Starliner on 'Bring A Trailer' yet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
View Quote

Pretty sure BaT requires full disclosure on vehicle condition, which I don't think boeing is capable of doing. This is definitely more a FB marketplace find where the price is obo and the seller is willing to consider interesting trades.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
View Quote
I'm surprised no one has made that a meme yet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Boeing and NASA Have A BIG Problem With Starliner...
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Wonder if part of the delay in the SpaceX crew mission is to prepare hardware and software that would be transported to the ISS to update the Starliner capsule for autonomous operation.

Not sure how they'd do that though, since there's no available docking port.

Maybe they need to dig out the plans for the Apollo-Soyuz mission and make a Dragon-Soyuz docking adapter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 10:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Snip

Maybe they need to dig out the plans for the Apollo-Soyuz mission and make a Dragon-Soyuz docking adapter.
View Quote

Now I have the mental image of Musk and some very angry NASA Administrators with wrenches in their hands coldly speaking to some Shmucks from Boeing. "Are you going to be straight with us? Or are we going to have to rearrange your faces?"
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 10:20:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#7]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:  Wonder if part of the delay in the SpaceX crew mission is to prepare hardware and software that would be transported to the ISS to update the Starliner capsule for autonomous operation.

View Quote

The other crew just needs to leave before the new crew arrives, presto, there's a docking port.

ETA:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Which-arrives-in-the-US-first-Boeing-s-Stayliner-or-Magpul-s-TMags-/5-2741306/?
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

The other crew just needs to leave before the new crew arrives, presto, there's a docking port.

ETA:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Which-arrives-in-the-US-first-Boeing-s-Stayliner-or-Magpul-s-TMags-/5-2741306/?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gamma762:  Wonder if part of the delay in the SpaceX crew mission is to prepare hardware and software that would be transported to the ISS to update the Starliner capsule for autonomous operation.

They need the capsule with extra seats along with the extra SpaceX suits so that they can also transport the two extras. Unless you want the extras to stay for however long Crew 9 was supposed to be there.

The alternative is for Crew 8 to depart, and a special rescue mission trip to be flown with spare seats to return the two stranded astronauts. Maybe they take some extra supplies to replenish ISS for the extra food that's been consumed etc, but they don't stay long and then depart. Then Crew 9 goes up to ISS at some later time. I don't know how fast SpaceX can recycle one of the capsules, it would certainly make things easier if they had another Crew Dragon capsule.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#9]

They need the capsule with extra seats along with the extra SpaceX suits so that they can also transport the two extras. Unless you want the extras to stay for however long Crew 9 was supposed to be there.

The alternative is for Crew 8 to depart, and a special rescue mission trip to be flown with spare seats to return the two stranded astronauts. Maybe they take some extra supplies to replenish ISS for the extra food that's been consumed etc, but they don't stay long and then depart. Then Crew 9 goes up to ISS at some later time. I don't know how fast SpaceX can recycle one of the capsules, it would certainly make things easier if they had another Crew Dragon capsule.
View All Quotes

Sounds like they're just going to make the Boeing crew part of Crew 9.  Crew 8 departs, opens up the docking port, Crew 9 docks.  Crew 8 then starts their retro burn.  No extra payments to SpaceX other than for the replacement seats & spacesuits.
Link Posted: 8/8/2024 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Will Astronaut's 8 Day Mission Turn into an 8 Month Mission? Starliner Answers Slowly Emerge.
Link Posted: 8/9/2024 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#11]
BUMP
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
You know, if the roles were reversed, the media would be all over spacex stranding astronauts, shouting it from the roof tops at full blast,etc.

I wonder how much beoing is paying media to keep them off of the front page?
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 3Trip:
You know, if the roles were reversed, the media would be all over spacex stranding astronauts, shouting it from the roof tops at full blast,etc.

View Quote
What are you talking about? There are almost daily articles from most news sources about this constantly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#15]

NASA should start charging Boeing rent for blocking that docking spot.  Boeing sure has screwed the pooch big time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By voodochild:
NASA should start charging Boeing rent for blocking that docking spot.  Boeing sure has screwed the pooch big time.
View Quote

They are, 125 million smackers last time I checked. More by now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#17]
NASA Insider on Boeing Starliner: "No One Considered This"

Not the best video, but the latest video.  Sounding like NASA approved the launch knowing the autonomous software wasn't installed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#18]
lol

Link Posted: 8/12/2024 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SamBoga:
lol

View Quote

If they send it back crewed, they need to do it soon.

Leaks don't get better.

Though that will be so retarded, it will make the Challenger launch decision look good.

Link Posted: 8/12/2024 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:

Leaks don't get better.

Though that will be so retarded, it will make the Challenger launch decision look good.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SamBoga:  lol

Leaks don't get better.

Eh, the leaks are so small they've got plenty of helium - clearly, b/c it's still up there.  Not like they can't borrow a little from the ISS before they leave.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Eh, the leaks are so small they've got plenty of helium - clearly, b/c it's still up there.  Not like they can't borrow a little from the ISS before they leave.
View All Quotes

Leaks don't get better.

It's still up there because of leaks and bad thrusters and who knows what else.

Link Posted: 8/12/2024 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#22]
This is the latest in a long list of NASA failures in my lifetime. Who could have guessed that teaming up with a troubled Boeing would lead to something like this?
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
What are you talking about? There are almost daily articles from most news sources about this constantly.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
Originally Posted By 3Trip:

Not remotely like if this had been SpaceX. They HATE Musk. A minor "recall" for Tesla that's just an over the air software update gets far more publicity than another company's recall of 100,000+ engines self destructing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 9:10:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#24]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
This is the latest in a long list of NASA failures in my lifetime. Who could have guessed that teaming up with a troubled Boeing would lead to something like this?
View Quote

Just another part of the long ongoing sad story of the de-industrialization and degrowth of the western world. Funnily enough, not so much done by an insidious conspiracy of bloodthirsty Satan worshiping pedophiles. But by their loyal cadre of MBA$ who are aggressively sacrificing the past and the future for an uncertain present.

I tell this story a lot. But ISRO is one of the least corrupt outfits in India. When people ask why this is the reply is simple. Space is an utterly unforgiving environment and if you have corruption in your systems then you don't get to go to space.

Boeing and their corruption has become a textbook example of this. With all the hardware they built or inherited at the end of the Cold War they should have had Starliner operational not long after the Shuttle was decomissioned. Now look at where we are.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

Leaks don't get better.

The bad thrusters keep it from a controlled descent.  It's the helium keeping it up there just like any other airship.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

Just another part of the long ongoing sad story of the de-industrialization and degrowth of the western world. Funnily enough, not so much done by an insidious conspiracy of bloodthirsty Satan worshiping pedophiles. But by their loyal cadre of MBA$ who are aggressively sacrificing the past and the future for an uncertain present.

I tell this story a lot. But ISRO is one of the least corrupt outfits in India. When people ask why this is the reply is simple. Space is an utterly unforgiving environment and if you have corruption in your systems then you don't get to go to space.

Boeing and their corruption has become a textbook example of this. With all the hardware they built or inherited at the end of the Cold War they should have had Starliner operational not long after the Shuttle was decomissioned. Now look at where we are.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

Part of the problem with a successor to the shuttle program was the politics played on NASA by the Obama administration. It was a shadow of things to come that he turned it into a diversity program. Why spend all that money exploring space when you could give it to your friends to reshape the mission into a farce.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 6:25:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SamBoga] [#27]

Additional comments on how Boeing's Starliner got in this predicament.

Clearly a breakdown between Boeing in-house and external engineering teams where the thrusters were provided the wrong design criteria. The thrusters, and their troublesome valve seals, were tested and designed "correctly", but for the wrong conditions.

Most likely traces back to the reported breakdown in communication between Boeing and their component vendors. Boeing didn't want to pay vendors for design changes.

Curious if the root is someone at Boeing accidentally not relaying vehicle updates to vendors, or if it was a conscious decision to avoid paying for change requests.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Maybe if they made everything themselves like that silly upstart company this would not have been a problem...
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote
I think they sabotaged it, some disgruntled workers perhaps?
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:
View Quote

It's just incompetence sprinkled with too-big-to-fail-we-will-be-bailed-out-anyways mentality.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#32]

The bad thrusters keep it from a controlled descent.  It's the helium keeping it up there just like any other airship.
View Quote

Bwaahahaha.

Link Posted: 8/13/2024 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jchewie1:

Bwaahahaha.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jchewie1:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  The bad thrusters keep it from a controlled descent.  It's the helium keeping it up there just like any other airship.

Bwaahahaha.

Link Posted: 8/13/2024 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

If true, that bird is not taking anybody anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Is Suni going to be the first woman to give birth in space?
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
View Quote

If so, I sure hope she gives birth less than nine months after launch.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 9:34:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bgrhammer] [#37]
So are the space suits,  the big bulky ones too big if say one person could pilot the stricken vessel away from the station where the space arm could capture it? And secondly,  if the big suits are too big for the docking port, what's the point of the slimmed down suits if they can't support an EVA?

I'm asking because if they could,  why not send one out, undock, manuver to the arm, get captured, come back into the station, and come home and let them decide if they can salvage this cluster fuck or just lob this failure into the sun?

Even if the suit couldn't facilitate life support functions independently,  I would think that like SCUBA Theresa buddy breather protocol?
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By bgrhammer:
So are the space suits,  the big bulky ones too big if say one person could pilot the stricken vessel away from the station where the space arm could capture it? And secondly,  if the big suits are too big for the docking port, what's the point of the slimmed down suits if they can't support an EVA?

I'm asking because if they could,  why not send one out, undock, manuver to the arm, get captured, come back into the station, and come home and let them decide if they can salvage this cluster fuck or just lob this failure into the sun?

Even if the suit couldn't facilitate life support functions independently,  I would think that like SCUBA Theresa buddy breather protocol?
View Quote

Lack of confidence in maneuvering is the whole problem. If it's not working right and tries to undock it could be a hazard to the entire ISS.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
View Quote

Thanks man.   Now That’s stuck in my mind’s eye.    
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By bgrhammer:  So are the space suits,  the big bulky ones too big if say one person could pilot the stricken vessel away from the station where the space arm could capture it? And secondly,  if the big suits are too big for the docking port, what's the point of the slimmed down suits if they can't support an EVA?

View Quote

Stayliner doesn't have the Delta V to make it to the sun.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Haven't read the entire thread.  But has this been mentioned, and how does it fit in?

From June 13:

NASA accidentally broadcasts simulation of distressed astronauts on space station
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By LibertyShip:
Haven't read the entire thread.  But has this been mentioned, and how does it fit in?

From June 13:

NASA accidentally broadcasts simulation of distressed astronauts on space station
View Quote
It doesn't.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Engineer talks in a disjointed manner about Stayliner's issues; replays the press conference in a reordered manner that makes more sense than his ramblings:

Will Nasa Bring Back Starliner without their Crew?

Engineer seems particularly disgruntled that the uniformed mob has seemingly been proven right, with no actual engineering data driving the hue & cry.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#44]

Lack of confidence in maneuvering is the whole problem. If it's not working right and tries to undock it could be a hazard to the entire ISS.
View All Quotes

But not long ago the ISS literally tossed a pallet of batteries overboard. So why couldn't they do that with starliner?
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

But not long ago the ISS literally tossed a pallet of batteries overboard. So why couldn't they do that with starliner?
View All Quotes

Does the Starliner have an attachment point for the Canadarm?
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

My memory says that the canadarm's end effector just needs something sticking out because it is literally three wires in a triangle that can be brought together to grab onto most anything.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Thanks man.   Now That's stuck in my mind's eye.    
View Quote
If you go without long enough they all start look good.   Toward the end of Basic training I was starting to notice that those old black women working the in chow hall had some big ole titties.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Engineer talks in a disjointed manner about Stayliner's issues; replays the press conference in a reordered manner that makes more sense than his ramblings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4HF8fgSBFA

Engineer seems particularly disgruntled that the uniformed mob has seemingly been proven right, with no actual engineering data driving the hue & cry.
View Quote

That guy is a dam engineer, not a damn engineer mind you but a dam and bridge engineer. No aerospace experience listed. Hardly an informed source for information.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:

That guy is a dam engineer, not a damn engineer mind you but a dam and bridge engineer. No aerospace experience listed. Hardly an informed source for information.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Engineer talks in a disjointed manner about Stayliner's issues; replays the press conference in a reordered manner that makes more sense than his ramblings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4HF8fgSBFA

Boeing & NASA are much more trustworthy, true.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#50]
SpaceTuber's replay & commentary of yesterday's press conference, along w/ an appropriate song set to a tune you're very familiar w/:

Latest on Boeing's Starliner: STILL No Decision on Return
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top