Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On a tail dragger you have to react to the tendency of the tail to swing from anything from p-factor to side wind.  You have to almost predict it sometimes.  If you react after the tail has already begun its swing you are already in trouble.  If you react after the swing you are likely going to exacerbate the issue.  Think Pilot induced oscillation.

There are control locks and gust locks.  Control locks generally install on the yokes and prevent the control of the... well controls.  Gust locks install on the control surfaces and prevent the wind from allowing the control surfaces to move freely in the wind.  
If either are not removed you have no control over the aircraft.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When you guys say "the tail got away from him", please explain to us non-pilots.

Also, what do you mean by "control locks"?
On a tail dragger you have to react to the tendency of the tail to swing from anything from p-factor to side wind.  You have to almost predict it sometimes.  If you react after the tail has already begun its swing you are already in trouble.  If you react after the swing you are likely going to exacerbate the issue.  Think Pilot induced oscillation.

There are control locks and gust locks.  Control locks generally install on the yokes and prevent the control of the... well controls.  Gust locks install on the control surfaces and prevent the wind from allowing the control surfaces to move freely in the wind.  
I see younger pilots using tablets during walk around and take-off checklist so they don't miss anything. Do the older guys still use paper lists or go by memory?
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If the rudder was locked how would the plane taxi into position for take off?
View Quote
Don't tail-draggers have the ability to steer the rear wheel with a crank or something? If so, they may not need the rudder. This is from memory, so I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It’s been hotter than normal here...110 today in Dallas. That plane needed more speed to take off in this heat. It looked like it was going pretty slow.
View Quote
There could be something to that.

Most of our local warbirds (CAF Falcon Field, Mesa AZ) go out on tour during the summer months and don’t come back until Autumn.  The hot air is just too thin
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unlock the tail wheel and use differential braking.

That said...  I never contemplated that.

Maybe the pilot forgot to lock the tail wheel.  The tail wheel must be locked for take off and landing.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
According to Wiki, there are almost two dozen airworthy C-47s still flying in the US and maybe a half dozen airworthy examples internationally. Certainly, a better situation than the B-29, with only two remaining airworthy examples, both in the US.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The people saying "the tail got away from him" are non pilots.

Edit: Control locks on that aircraft are metal devices that hold the moving part of the tail surfaces against the non- moving parts to keep them from moving while the aircraft is parked. Wind gusts can slam the controls around if they are not installed. They attach usually with bungee cords, and have red flags on them to remind pilots to remove before flight.
View Quote
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Bluebonnet Belle

C-47 Wings Over Dallas 2016

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:55:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like the tail never came up and a loss of directional control, which leads me to believe they had the control lock devices still on the stab and rudder during takeoff. That tail should have been flying very soon during the takeoff roll.

I was number 2 for takeoff behind a turbo converted DC-3 in Africa, looked exactly like that. That plane hit a parked Caravan and hit in a ditch next to the runway. Both control lock devices were layin aft of the wreckage.
View Quote
As a kid I watch this team play. My dad was a c47 crew chief in ww2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Indiana_Flight_216
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Someone updated wiki about 4 minutes ago to reflect the destruction of Bluebonnet Belle. That was fast.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#10]
If this was a case of control locks still in place....damn.

Hey, ever heard of running the FULL preflight and all checklists, just to be SURE?

I'm sure you've seen it, and if not, it's easy to find on youtube:  There's a video of a DeHavilland Caribou that took off and rapidly came back down because someone skipped the checklists and thus failed to notice the control locks still in place.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hey, ever heard of running the FULL preflight and all checklists, just to be SURE?

I'm sure you've seen it, and if not, it's easy to find on youtube:  There's a video of a DeHavilland Caribou that took off and rapidly came back down because someone skipped the checklists and thus failed to notice the control locks still in place.
View Quote
Here is the result of the failure to remove the gust lock on the rudder.

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:07:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks like the tail never came up and a loss of directional control, which leads me to believe they had the control lock devices still on the stab and rudder during takeoff. That tail should have been flying very soon during the takeoff roll.

I was number 2 for takeoff behind a turbo converted DC-3 in Africa, looked exactly like that. That plane hit a parked Caravan and hit in a ditch next to the runway. Both control lock devices were layin aft of the wreckage.
View Quote
This is the only explanation that fits.   The pax got very, very lucky.   They'll probably never fully appreciate how truly lucky they got.

What a retarded "accident".   At the time the idiot witness says the first "oh shit", they could have simply pulled power off for a low speed abort.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When you guys say "the tail got away from him", please explain to us non-pilots.

Also, what do you mean by "control locks"?
View Quote
In high or gusty winds, the control surfaces will flop around and literally beat themselves to death.  Physical locking devise are installed to prevent this, usually with red or international orange ribbons on them labeled 'Remove before flight".

Similar to pitot tube covers.

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's something I hope I never see again. Those old aircraft are more than private property -- they are national treasures. Only the most capable and experienced pilots should be allowed to fly them.
View Quote
They are private property.  Only the owners should decide who should fly them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If the rudder was locked they wouldn't be able to control it from the start from all the p factor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched the video a few times...  You might be onto something.  That rudder was not swinging from what I can tell.
If the rudder was locked they wouldn't be able to control it from the start from all the p factor.
And they would have caught it in the pre-flight checklist.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same thing happened to a restored Ford Tri-Motor.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#17]
The guy taking the video saw a problem early on.  All I noticed was that the tail was not up when it went by him.   I will look to see if the horizontal stabilizer elevator is up.  Not sure about that plane but early on the tail should come up .
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I watched the video a few times...  You might be onto something.  That rudder was not swinging from what I can tell.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in agreement as well.  Tail should have been up shortly after the roll started as Beansay notes.   Don't see any rudder or elevator movement as would be expected.  It appears that the plane lifted off tail low and recovery was attempted with aileron alone.  Tough loss.

ETA: will watch on a larger screen when I get home.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I see younger pilots using tablets during walk around and take-off checklist so they don't miss anything. Do the older guys still use paper lists or go by memory?
View Quote
Most older pilots I see go by memory.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes, just down the road.  They were on takeoff and headed to Oshkosh.  13 persons onboard, pilot airlifted to BAMC with severe burns.  No idea of the cause although some guy on FB is claiming the landing gear collapsed.
View Quote
Gear was fine per the video.  Pilot didn't keep it on the runway during takeoff run, then got airborne while trying to get it back to the runway and ground looped it.  Looks like the engines were both running (props appeared to be turning at approx the same speed) during the takeoff run, but I can't be completely certain.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:35:36 PM EDT
[#21]
"Controls.........free and correct"

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Bluebonnet Belle C-47 Crash in Burnet, Texas
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Differential braking.  The rudder won’t have authority at taxi speeds.

ETA:  Actually it looks like they use differential power.  All my tailwheel time is in singles.

http://www.douglasdc3.com/dc3taxi/dc3taxi.htm
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Bluebonnet Belle Crash Departing Burnet (NSFW language)
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't see any gust locks.  that's a good sign in that regard.

I wish there was more pictures.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
And an insurance company's adjuster somewhere just said "there goes my weekend"
View Quote
Johnny Dollar?
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#29]
A de Haviland Venom went down yesterday too.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:13:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow.  Glad all survived.  Hope the pilot survives his injuries.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#31]
i don't know which was worse, the vertical fucking video, or the stupid fucking narration.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

A de Haviland Venom went down yesterday too.  
View Quote
De Havilland DH112 Venom jet fighter crashed into a Wisconsin farm shortly after takeoff on Friday. Several fatalities were reported as the pilot and dozens of livestock were killed. Two farm workers were also injured.

Airshowstuff.com had posted a video of the Venom in action just days before the crash.

DH-112 Venom Cartridge Start and Flyover
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's something I hope I never see again. Those old aircraft are more than private property -- they are national treasures. Only the most capable and experienced pilots should be allowed to fly them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
There's another one - a C-47A - at another Texas Hill Country airport an hour drive away just rotting away in the elements, parked at the end of the field. It's been sitting there for more than a decade. How long before everyone finally gets tired of it and calls the scrapper?

I worry about losing those forgotten aircraft much more than I do those that are meticulously restored and lovingly maintained, all via private funds and volunteer effort.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:13:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Hmmm finally got to watch the video.

Not sure it was a gust lock, but I am on a phone.  I need to see it on a bigger screen.

my current leaning is pilot got behind the aircraft or left the control lock in.  The rudder appears to be in motion long before.

Now whether the gust lock on the elevators was not removed. Now that is a possibility. Or maybe the control lock on the yoke. Most tailwheel aircraft that I have flown use control locks that leave the  elevators in the up position to keep the tail on the ground in windy conditions while on tie downs. Without seeing a bigger video, Or a better one; My leaning is that the pilot removed the gust lock but did not remove the yokes control lock. I think he yanked the lock off when he noticed it (meaning, he tried to get the tail flying) and tried to recover instead of aborting the airplane (a mistake on sooo many levels). I base this off of the fact that the elevators stay in that up position and the ailerons do not really move until the plane departs the runway. Then they move quite violently as the pilot tries to salvage the takeoff. the rudder would  act and was acting normally, (and I fully admit that I do not know the dc3/c47 systems intimately, so I very well may be in error) because there is no in cockpit control lock for the pedals in any aircraft I have been PIC in.

I am very curious to see the NTSB report, and it makes me sad to see a glamorous old girl loose her life to that level of negligence.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Question for aviation nuts (nuttier than me, that is):

Are warbirds & vintage aircraft de-tuned?  Since they’re no longer combat capable.
I’m not suggesting either loss was power related, just curious about how wrung out the are (or are not)
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Are warbirds & vintage aircraft de-tuned?  Since they’re no longer combat capable.
I’m not suggesting either loss was power related, just curious about how wrung out the are (or are not)
View Quote
A lot of vintage warbirds are de-tuned in a sense.  They were made when much higher 150 octane leaded fuel was available.  They were capable of putting out more power on a proper tune with that octane rating.

They are now running 100 LL fuel mostly.  I do believe 130 is available still.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm about 12 miles from there and just heard about this.  Really sad to see the plane destroyed but glad everyone survived.   There are a few other WWII planes kept there and they have them all out for the air show every year.  You can pay to go for rides on a couple of them which I always thought would be neat.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are warbirds & vintage aircraft de-tuned?  Since they're no longer combat capable.
I'm not suggesting either loss was power related, just curious about how wrung out the are (or are not)
View Quote
Some of the combat aircraft are. Not running them at combat settings lengthens the engine life spans. (It is not so much "detuning" as it is adjusting engine control stops so that "full throttle" is a lower manifold pressure than combat settings). But it is aircraft dependent, and not necessarily universal. A c47 probably is not.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
At what point do you call it a quits with these planes, they are old. They are cool as hell but damn.
View Quote
They would do far less good collecting dust in a hanger.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Seen video onphone and TV, Flaps up ?

Dc3 flaps drop from bottom of trailing edge, I know they don't lower alot but as it goes by I didn't see flaps against background. Really looks like he tried to take off too slowly without enough lift.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#41]
My dad flew the C-46 for a major airline.  He said is was a handful always.  His exact words were “you flew it all the way to the ramp and backed away from it slowly”

My bad got the -46 and the -47 mixed up.  My dad flew the Curtiss Commando.  Been a long duty day.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:19:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Sad to hear that.  Pretty sure they used her to ferry supplies last year for Hurricane Harvey.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Seen video onphone and TV, Flaps up ?

Dc3 flaps drop from bottom of trailing edge, I know they don't lower alot but as it goes by I didn't see flaps against background. Really looks like he tried to take off too slowly without enough lift.
View Quote
Here's an older pic that shows the flaps.

Specifications
Name: Bluebonnet Belle
N-Number: N47HL
Mfg Date: December 1944

Specifications
Wing Span: 95 ft. 0 in.
Length: 64 ft. 5 in.
Height: 16 ft. 11 in.
Weight: 33,000 lbs loaded
Armament: None
Engines:  Two Pratt & Whitney R-1830s of 1,200 hp. each
Crew: Six
Cost: $138,000
Serial Number: 43-49942

Performance
Maximum speed: 232 mph.
Cruising speed: 175 mph.
Range: 1,513 miles
Service Ceiling: 24,450 ft

http://www.highlandlakessquadron.com/aircraft/c47

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20180721-0

No Flaps?

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Sad deal
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Flying in C-47 is on my bucket list.
View Quote
Try jumping out of one

My favorite C-47 is this one that delivered fuel to us in AK
Attachment Attached File

1953 C-47 Super
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#46]
World War II aircraft and crew returns from Harvey relief mission

C-47 "Bluebonnet Belle" Approach and Landing at Burnet, Texas
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Here's an older pic that shows the flaps.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/kdhnews.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/f9/0f982be8-d620-11e2-bf6e-0019bb30f31a/51bd0e0c55cde.image.jpg

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--_hZaPKg9--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/fzqbtvp2xy9ydde8t2co.jpg

Specifications
Name: Bluebonnet Belle
N-Number: N47HL
Mfg Date: December 1944

Specifications
Wing Span: 95 ft. 0 in.
Length: 64 ft. 5 in.
Height: 16 ft. 11 in.
Weight: 33,000 lbs loaded
Armament: None
Engines:  Two Pratt & Whitney R-1830s of 1,200 hp. each
Crew: Six
Cost: $138,000
Serial Number: 43-49942

Performance
Maximum speed: 232 mph.
Cruising speed: 175 mph.
Range: 1,513 miles
Service Ceiling: 24,450 ft

http://www.highlandlakessquadron.com/aircraft/c47

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20180721-0

No Flaps?

https://s2-ssl.dmcdn.net/rM9oB.jpg
View Quote
There are no extended flaps in any of those photos.

Flaps on the DC-3 and C-47 were inboard and droop down from the wing. They are split.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

There are no extended flaps in any of those photos.

Flaps on the DC-3 and C-47 were inboard and droop down from the wing. They are split.
View Quote
Thanks just found a pic.

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#49]
There ya go.

They are like an SNJ. Or a P-40. Only a lot bigger and more of them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 1:22:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Plane crashes at Burnet Municipal Airport

Crash destroys WWII-era plane in Burnet; all 13 on board survive
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top