Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Speaking strictly from my own perspective, some weapons are more trouble than they are worth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're assuming your enemy is as disciplined.

Speaking strictly from my own perspective, some weapons are more trouble than they are worth.

Especially when they're hot when sitting on the shelf.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Johnson Island wasn’t the only stockpile.

I did a lot of work at the Pine Bluff Arsenal and they had plenty of their own.

View Quote

Ft McClellan, Ala

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Johnson Island wasn’t the only stockpile.

I did a lot of work at the Pine Bluff Arsenal and they had plenty of their own.

View Quote

Small world, we sold a lot of stuff to you guys while that was still going on.

@frog_legs
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That’s great. We are leading the way!  Rah Rah!  Is any other country complying?  Is there any verification?  If some one used their stockpile on us, we are phukt. We will have no retaliation in kind.  Thanks Joe for handing us over so easily. Don’t spend it all in one place.
View Quote

Whatever paint chips you didn't eat as a child, we can drop those on our enemy.  To great effect.  Apparently.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The good old days.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7mTCMvpEM
View Quote

"no public carrier would accept it for transportation"
WTF would you dispose of sodium like that? Couldn't it be sold into the commercial market in smaller quantities?
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
really?

remember Big Lou and Paintball?

how about a red dog tag from 763?

who had a zebra pic on his GP ID card?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was stationed on a site in West Germany that had a stockpile. I was there when they were shipped to Johnston.
Fun times.
really?

remember Big Lou and Paintball?

how about a red dog tag from 763?

who had a zebra pic on his GP ID card?
I played paintball. I don't recall Big Lou or who had a zebra pic on his ID. Somewhere around here I still have my red dog tag. I went looking for it and it wasn't where I thought it was, but I did find some artifacts. Sanitized pictures below.
Attachment Attached File

I do remember the doctors at the 763rd were Major Kramp and Captain Finger. Sick call wasn't popular.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:35:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember sailing near Johnston Atoll and hoping we weren't close enough to get a whiff of that stuff.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It seems that it required the designing and manufacturing of a lot of specialized equipment. Somewhere there's a documentary that details the robotic process of dismantling mustard gas artillery rounds from WW2.

Which leaves me wondering how they made industrial quantities this shit back in those days. I suppose we have different standards for safe working conditions.
View Quote

Out at Dugway Proving Grounds they have  historic pictures on the walls of one of the Admin buildings. One picture shows two guys in hip waders standing in a metal tank up to their mid thighs in mustard gas. No other PPE but the hip waders.
Temperature was low enough that there is no vapor, but if you slip it's a shit way to die.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I wonder if Johnston Island is still active

I got threatened with duty assignment there, heard good and bad about it but t mostly bad
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]
They could pop that shit off in the Pech river valley and do humanity a favor
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:57:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Out at Dugway Proving Grounds they have  historic pictures on the walls of one of the Admin buildings. One picture shows two guys in hip waders standing in a metal tank up to their mid thighs in mustard gas. No other PPE but the hip waders.
Temperature was low enough that there is no vapor, but if you slip it's a shit way to die.
View Quote

That's one of the more disturbing things I've read on this site. Shocking and yet not surprising.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#12]
May as well we are too pussy to use them anymore anyway.

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#13]
"statement by Joe Biden"

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#14]
VX nerve gas testing on a goat

Footage Of Nerve Gas Testing On A Goat - 1964
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Been going on for a long time. About time they finished up. Doubt we ever really has a warplan that involved heavy use of them anytime in the last 30-40 years since we consider nukes a fair alternative to it, I suppose we don't have need for them anymore and I'd bet upkeep/maintenance was a bitch (assuming we still have a nuke=chem=bio stance, I vaguely recall that going away at some point?)
I think I still have an couple ATNAA (sp?) sitting around here actually from when I came back from deployment and they didn't take them...Wonder when that shit expires
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:16:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The good old days.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY7mTCMvpEM
View Quote

Wouldn’t it just turn to Salt and other harmless sodium compounds?

Why did we have barrels of pure sodium for wartime?
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:16:34 PM EDT
[#17]

The US military dropped off its last batch of artillery shells carrying deadly VX nerve agent to be destroyed

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It probably would have been cheaper to give them to Ukraine than to safely dismantle them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#19]

The irony of that last picture of them pushing those VX munitions around while wearing face diapers is not lost on me.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The irony of that last picture of them pushing those VX munitions around while wearing face diapers is not lost on me.
View Quote

I'm sure that a permeable cloth mask would have saved the goat in the video who got hit with VX.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"no public carrier would accept it for transportation"
WTF would you dispose of sodium like that? Couldn't it be sold into the commercial market in smaller quantities?
View Quote

Sure. How do you suggest making it "smaller quantities"? A guy with a chainsaw?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#22]
but have we really?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll keep a pilot plant open for personal use and to sell IP to the feds when they realize they need them again.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I played paintball. I don't recall Big Lou or who had a zebra pic on his ID. Somewhere around here I still have my red dog tag. I went looking for it and it wasn't where I thought it was, but I did find some artifacts. Sanitized pictures below.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74363/PXL_20230708_004146273_MP_2__2__jpg-2877533.JPG
I do remember the doctors at the 763rd were Major Kramp and Captain Finger. Sick call wasn't popular.
View Quote
remember Bowman flipping the M1025?

how about that SGT in CO HQ with orange skin and white hair...

or what happened to Scrappy?
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Been going on for a long time. About time they finished up. Doubt we ever really has a warplan that involved heavy use of them anytime in the last 30-40 years since we consider nukes a fair alternative to it, I suppose we don't have need for them anymore and I'd bet upkeep/maintenance was a bitch (assuming we still have a nuke=chem=bio stance, I vaguely recall that going away at some point?)
I think I still have an couple ATNAA (sp?) sitting around here actually from when I came back from deployment and they didn't take them...Wonder when that shit expires
View Quote

ROKs v Norks was about it, these days.  Get the Koksan crews into MOPP-4 and slow down the rate of shelling Seoul.  Or spray VX over an area they'll have to march through to get to Seoul.  But that's about it.  Too many bad things start happening when WMD-equipped nations start flicking them at each other.

OTOH, knowing what we know now, Saddam probably should have flipped the switch.  Assuming he had the capability.  Not like we could hang him twice.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Metallic elemental sodium is very soft and can easily be cut by hand with a pocket knife.

But metallic sodium is difficult to deal with and there aren't a lot of high volume uses for it. It is also easy to make and it is extremely abundant.

Link Posted: 7/9/2023 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have their m40 slung.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
These shells were really old, probably not all that viable in combat. Just for the record.
View Quote

True, but their contents are still quite dangerous.

The US builds far flung factories full of battle robots to dispose of a few hundred thousand shells.  The French just stack their chemical UXO between antitank mines for a good burn when they detonate them on the beach.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
but have we really?
View Quote

This.  They would t have gotten rid of them if they didn’t have something more effective available.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Metallic elemental sodium is very soft and can easily be cut by hand with a pocket knife.

But metallic sodium is difficult to deal with and there aren't a lot of high volume uses for it. It is also easy to make and it is extremely abundant.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So your plan is "guy with a pocket knife" will just carve the appropriate size chunks off a 10' cube as orders come in?  Neat.

I've cut sodium with a pocket knife. I've burned it, thrown it in water, sealed it in glass, boiled it, squished it between my fingers, and more. If I had a flatbed of sodium that I was professionally responsible for and no carrier would accept it and I had a dead lake and no EPA, you bet your ass that shits going right in there. It's the economical choice.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 4:04:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The US builds far flung factories full of battle robots to dispose of a few hundred thousand shells.  The French just stack their chemical UXO between antitank mines for a good burn when they detonate them on the beach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
These shells were really old, probably not all that viable in combat. Just for the record.

All chemical weapons are the same and the disposal method used for century old formulas work on modern formulas just fine with literally no problem. -You
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So your plan is "guy with a pocket knife" will just carve the appropriate size chunks off a 10' cube as orders come in?  Neat.

I've cut sodium with a pocket knife. I've burned it, thrown it in water, sealed it in glass, boiled it, squished it between my fingers, and more. If I had a flatbed of sodium that I was professionally responsible for and no carrier would accept it and I had a dead lake and no EPA, you bet your ass that shits going right in there. It's the economical choice.
View Quote

If I was professionally responsible for it I might even advocate for it's disposal slightly outside of purely fiscal concerns.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

All chemical weapons are the same and the disposal method used for century old formulas work on modern formulas just fine with literally no problem. -You
View Quote

It's mustard.  It's a century old formula.  I'm sure you could differentiate ww1 German mustard gas from ww2 US mustard gas chemically, but I assure you it's disposal and it's effect on anyone exposed to it will be largely indistinguishable in any useful sense.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 4:10:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If I was professionally responsible for it I might even advocate for it's disposal slightly outside of purely fiscal concerns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You haven't lived until you've partied with airborne, molten, flaming sodium or potassium.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It's mustard.  It's a century old formula.  I'm sure you could differentiate ww1 German mustard gas from ww2 US mustard gas chemically, but I assure you it's disposal and it's effect on anyone exposed to it will be largely indistinguishable in any useful sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then let's just blow it up wherever we find it. No possible downsides.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Then let's just blow it up wherever we find it. No possible downsides.
View Quote

That aint quite the Demineur protocol.

ETA- they have a nice section of beach with a big tidal throw.  When the tide goes down they excavate some trenches in the sand and stack pallets of UXO, chemical shells nestled amongst large explosive components like AT mines.  When the tide comes back in they blow it.  I don't know of any issues with this method of disposal but I assume some cranky euro would've vomited up some stupid opinion of such if it was in any way a problem.  You're completely right if you're raging that nerve gasses are nowhere in this mixture and I don't disagree with remote sites demilitarizing nerve agents, but they're just getting rid of old mustard shells.  All of the nerve shit should be years in the past.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Well at least we aren't piling these up in obsolete cargo ships, taking them out in the ocean then cutting holes and sinking em.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well at least we aren't piling these up in obsolete cargo ships, taking them out in the ocean then cutting holes and sinking em.
View Quote

Lol, true.  Operation CHASE was a hoot.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That VX will have come in handy for a couple hundred million screaming Chinamen here in a few years…
View Quote

We can make more.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Of course not.  You were the one that offered the stupid suggestion of using a chain saw when it is a very soft material.

If you needed to portion it, you would do so with mechanized slicers or, more likely, just heat it to the melting point which is less than 209F and mold it.  

But as my second sentence pointed out, it isn't used in enormous volumes and is easy to make, so having huge volumes for war effort, probably meant it wasn't practical to keep around.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I wonder what they were planning to do with all that metallic sodium during WW2? Use it to make bombs?
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

The solution to pollution is dilution.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Of course not.  You were the one that offered the stupid suggestion of using a chain saw when it is a very soft material.

If you needed to portion it, you would do so with mechanized slicers or, more likely, just heat it to the melting point which is less than 209F and mold it.  

But as my second sentence pointed out, it isn't used in enormous volumes and is easy to make, so having huge volumes for war effort, probably meant it wasn't practical to keep around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet. Lemme buy some one time use mechanical slicers or stand up a inert atmosphere crucible for a couple truckloads of scrap.

It isn't economically viable, they made the right call to ditch the bitch
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

That was during covid. Don't want to covid over vx nerve gas.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a SCAMDEMIC pushed by the GLOBOHOMOS to make people SUBMIT to their CLAWT SHAWT.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's a SCAMDEMIC pushed by the GLOBOHOMOS to make people SUBMIT to their CLAWT SHAWT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SAFE

EFFECTIVE
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We should have kept them in my opinion. I don't trust our enemies have gotten rid of theirs.
View Quote

These shells were old….and getting older. Many had began to leak.

I lived and played just outside the incinerator in Tooele, Utah. Tooele had the largest stockpile of these weapons in the country. Sirens installed for miles around…you know-just in case. Good riddance to those nasty pos weapons.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It probably would have been cheaper to give them to Ukraine than to safely dismantle them.
View Quote

And what exactly would they do with them? It sure as hell not be using them on the Russians.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Wait, that's good, that's good, I like that. But it may not evacuate everybody. There's always some joker who thinks he's immune. What I need is something so scary it'll clear three hundred square miles of every living Christian soul.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#50]
From what I have read, chemical weapons are not that useful.  They make good terror weapons but do not have much tactical use.  In WW1 they achieved nothing with them despite extensive use by both sides.

I am definitely glad the old stock was destroyed due to the significant risk of leaks and accidents.  The binary agents were much more stable but not without their own problems.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top