BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An esitmated 3.6 million students graduated in 2018-19 school year.
Drop out rate hovers around 16/17%
That gives us about 4.2 million 18 year old eligible a year. 29% of that is approximately 1.2 million a year who are qualified to be recruited coming into the pool.
View Quote
Then factor less than 10% are interested minus those who for whatever reason can’t complete initial training or their contract such as females injured in combat arms from hip fractures
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My 19 year old son was sworn in to the Army yesterday.
Leaves for Fort Jackson August 26.

MOS 92F

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/191468/20190126_202917_jpg-971658.JPG

Hes the one on the right, my 17 year old on the left.
We ran into their kindergarten teacher out at a restaurant.
View Quote
Good job Dad! Congratulations!
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#3]
That has been illegal for about 50 years.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yep my 11 yr old has to do 6-11 pull ups every night before bed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
meanwhile, my 12 year old is wondering why the USMC pull up standards are so pussified
Yep my 11 yr old has to do 6-11 pull ups every night before bed.
I took my 13yo daughter to the county fair and the USMC had their usual recruitment booth with the pull up bar. She made the comment about the USAF didn't have cool cammies like the Marines.

The smaller of the two recruiters offered her one of their swag backpacks if she could beat him at her choice of push ups or pull ups in 30 seconds...she dropped to forward leaning rest and cranked out 34 push ups before the kid could even get his stopwatch set up.

He gave her the bag and told me with a wink "Good job dad"...
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#5]
We are ancient Greece in its last days.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It took boots on the ground 18 years to get us to the negotiating table with the Taliban. Despite fighting a war nearly 4x longer than WW2, we never needed more boots than volunteers supplied. Arguably we had too many.
View Quote
Bad economy
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nation building is an expensive and often fruitless hobby.
View Quote
Agree. But winning necessary wars never goes out of style.

Don't be the proverbial general who can only envision the last war when contemplating the next one.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Exactly my point. I was in Iraq in 07 and saw some pretty questionable soldiers
View Quote
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-iraq-soldier-suicide/u-s-soldier-convicted-of-iraq-rape-murders-found-hanged-in-prison-idUSBREA1I03V20140219
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lol. We do not have the training facilities to even approach that number.

Nor do we have enough Drill Sgt's, Drill instructors and whatever they Air Force and navy calls their versions.

You going to train 500 man platoons?

I am not trying to disrespect you in any way. God bless the initial instructors.  There just aren't enough of you, even pulling in retirees and former instructors that have finished there tour.
View Quote
I understand your point. However, there were times when we had corporals running training platoons because our standing military was so small and the influx so large and immediate.  WW 1&2 in the initial months for example
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
As a former Drill SGT I can fix them, had a kid somehow make it to us 40lbs overweight.

After 14 weeks the dude looked like Michael Jorden and lost over 50lbs.

If SHTF waivers will be given and the military will fix most of them, and the marginal soldiers will assume stateside positions. Not everyone can be Infantry.

Somebody has to run a spoon and serve the Mac and cheese.

Even if only 15-30% of America could serve that is 45-90 million troops.

So 45-90 task forces comprising of a million troops each if my math is right.

we will be ok.
View Quote
I love how Infantry vets don’t want dummies but non vets think all infantry are cannon fodder when I read these threads
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This really should not come as a surprise.  Just look at most of the younger people today and where their values lie.
View Quote
Look where their values came from.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I heard the Secretary of the Army last night in a BBC D-Day interview state that 71% (THAT's SEVENTY ONE) of the current younger generation are NON-qualified for entry into the military. That is an staggering number and a cause of grave concern.  Reasons,

Obesity
No high school diploma
Criminal Record
View Quote
I'm not surprised.

Wait a second, doesn't the US Army take people with a 31 AFQT?
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:36:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The volunteers will not survive long in a real 1940 era war... What's left for enlisting will be the deal breakers...
View Quote
"Old contemptibles" (British professional rank and file soldiers enlisted prior to 1914) were largely wiped out over the course of WWI. The British rank and file were still damned fine Infantry by the end of the war, even after relying on national mobilization.

If there's a real war, there are always men who rise to the challenge, even if they're not the sort who would have considered serving during peacetime
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The volunteers will not survive long in a real 1940 era war... What's left for enlisting will be the deal breakers...
View Quote
If I recall the NCO Corps was limping in 1968 after 3 years of Vietnam. Our IRR, retired and selective service pool all drop majorly after 2022
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Add hasn't been a disqualifier in nearly 15 years. I was delayed because of it, and eventually congress took it off their no-go list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Add prescribed drug use for things that are new age ilnesses. ADD, ADHD, bipolar, and many more.

Parents are so quick to prescribe meds to kids and doctors are so quick to give some diagnosis.
Add hasn't been a disqualifier in nearly 15 years. I was delayed because of it, and eventually congress took it off their no-go list.
I didn't know that. It makes sense so that's why I'm surprised they did it.

Did they let you stay on meds after you enlisted?
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:41:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In the old days the army reserve maintained a cadre of DIs.   I was USMCR and later guard but I knew part time DIs.  
View Quote
They usually do the summer rotations
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, walking around post looking at some of these kids I think we stretched quite a bit to even hit that 29% figure.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm not surprised.

Wait second, doesn't the US Army take people with a 31 AFQT?
View Quote
Not at the moment, only cat A & B.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My 19 year old son was sworn in to the Army yesterday.
Leaves for Fort Jackson August 26.

MOS 92F

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/191468/20190126_202917_jpg-971658.JPG

Hes the one on the right, my 17 year old on the left.
We ran into their kindergarten teacher out at a restaurant.
View Quote
Awesome! My 19 year old left in May for airborne infantry.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yea, but SEVENTY ONE PERCENT. Guess I've been living under a rock with that staggering number!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This really should not come as a surprise.  Just look at most of the younger people today and where their values lie.
Yea, but SEVENTY ONE PERCENT. Guess I've been living under a rock with that staggering number!
they will just lower the standards.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I wonder if that number is inflated by the massive number of offspring from illegal third world human potatoes.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:46:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This is a national security issue. #1. We need to get obesity under control, #2. We need to fix society, so these kids aren't so broken. I don't know how we do either under the current degeneration of the culture.
View Quote
Fathers, fatherhood and laws that protect and promote same and/or eliminating laws that undermine and penalize it.

We're seeing the cumulative effect of decades of the opposite today.

It really is that simple.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Less than 1% join and serve anyway. It could be 90% and there'd still not be blip in recruiting.
View Quote
1% of the entire population of the USA serve. It’s not the same as the pool required to maintain the 1% of 300 million plus people retired, elderly, babies, handicapped, illegals, etc. residing in the country https://www.stripes.com/news/army/army-misses-2018-recruiting-goal-which-hasn-t-happened-since-2005-1.548580Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Standards change during emergencies. Fat man platoons, waive the hsd requirement. It’s not hard.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

As political intervention decreases, the need for bodies declines further. At the extreme, the president issues a single command - launch nukes - and zero boots hit the ground.
View Quote
Hunh? Current OPTEMPO do you speak it? Nukes? Who?
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Lol

That's under current standards and with no waivers

You can be a convicted murderer and still serve if they needed people.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Not at the moment, only cat A & B.
View Quote
I guess that the recruiters are making their numbers at the moment...

I read that they've opened up MOS slots for 31D, 35L, 37F and 38B to entry level recruits. What gives?
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:05:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What we have seen is that troops on the ground provide handy targets for retaliation, and are unlikely to create any lasting change beneficial to us there.

The only reason to put troops on the ground is to occupy ground that you want to keep for some reason. Troops on the ground in places that you plan on giving back is stupid, especially in the middle east, unless you are planning on giving the region a culture transplant. Since politics follows culture, and not the oher way around, regime change is largely pointless in the long run without a true cultural shift...which takes generations...which would be largly the same as not giving it back.

Our interventions in the middle east should have been punish from the air and leave. Repeat as necessary. As far as our national security is concerned, that would have accomplished as much as what we actually did, and at far less cost in nlood and treasure for us. The United States has not benefitted in any appreciable way from the ground invasions we did in Iraq or Afghanistan.
View Quote
AT THE FRONT IN NORTH AFRICA WWII in COLOR TUNISIA 1942 3431
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I guess that the recruiters are making their numbers at the moment...

I read that they've opened up MOS slots for 31D, 35L, 37F and 38B to entry level recruits. What gives?
View Quote
If I had to guess, the current crop of World of Warcraft nerds is either retiring or getting admin separated from the Army for non conformity or drug use.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If I had to guess, the current crop of World of Warcraft nerds is either retiring or getting admin separated from the Army for non conformity or drug use.
View Quote
So, out of all of them, which MOS has the most World of Warcraft nerds?
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
 35 / 37
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#32]
All the way up until they start a draft and then only 1% will be non qaulified.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
 35 / 37
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

35 / 37
Which 35 has the most?

I wonder what a 37F actually does when deployed.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
He also stated, they didn't have the intelligence necessary to join.
View Quote
That doesn't surprise me at all.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It took boots on the ground 18 years to get us to the negotiating table with the Taliban. Despite fighting a war nearly 4x longer than WW2, we never needed more boots than volunteers supplied. Arguably we had too many.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure does...You still always need boots on the ground where needed.  All the drones and smart weapons we have in our arsenal cannot defeat the enemy as a whole. We see this especially in the middle east conflicts.
This is the other part of it. The DoD might be too picky in turning away applicants with histories of physical injuries or depression, but there are a lot of people in active duty who want to be deployed who have to fight for it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
As from 4+ years of experience as a Recruiter, its actually less... And even fewer can actually pass the ASVAB.
View Quote
I joined the Guard in 1996. A friend joined shortly after, and his brother tried. Took the ASVAB 3 times, his best score was around 17.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Does it matter? It's not 1940 where victory depends on masses of conscripts slinging dumb artillery. We have nukes, drones, and volunteers now.
View Quote
This.
The military gets more volunteers than they want out of the other 29% anyway.

If for some reason they don't, they'll lower their standards to qualify a higher percentage.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:42:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This.

If for some reason they don't, they'll lower their standards to qualify a higher percentage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does it matter? It's not 1940 where victory depends on masses of conscripts slinging dumb artillery. We have nukes, drones, and volunteers now.
This.

Yep. I work with a retired CSM and we were at a trade show recently and I saw an Army enlisted guy with a visible throat tat. I was like WTF dude? He just kind of chuckled and told me about the fluctuations in standards once the GWOT really got heavy and they needed to increase intake rates.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I didn't qualify either

Apparently uncle sugar doesn't like detached retinas
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Hmmm. Looking around, I can see why.  Many teenagers in our middle class neighborhood do not want to drive, work, or even date. They sit on their phones/computers all day and their parents seem to be at a loss on how to motivate them. Sad situation.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:59:57 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
Different time, but Eisenhower did buy into this idea.  “Massive Retaliation”, ie we will nuke you ‘till you glow if we get into brushfire wars with you.  So don’t.  That’s why we didn’t go into Vietnam under him, to avoid a small war that became a big one.  Kennedy changed that strategy...and got us into Vietnam.  Make of that what you will.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Which 35 has the most?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

35 / 37
Which 35 has the most?

No please, keep speaking your secret language.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

No high school diploma
Criminal Record
View Quote
That is subject to change at any time. Also, waivers are pretty common.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That is subject to change at any time. Also, waivers are pretty common.
View Quote
Heck, weren’t people at one time given the option to enlist rather than go to jail for certain crimes?  I’ve seen that as a story in old movies...
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I heard the Secretary of the Army last night in a BBC D-Day interview state that 71% (THAT's SEVENTY ONE) of the current younger generation are NON-qualified for entry into the military. That is an staggering number and a cause of grave concern.  Reasons,

Obesity
No high school diploma
Criminal Record
View Quote
Standards can be changed.

Because someone had asthma when they were 2 years old is a disqualifier is stupid.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
All the more reason for mandatory 2-year service for all of them.
View Quote
BULLSHIT!!!  No one in the military has time to supervise all the fuckups.  There is a reason the military is NOT clamoring for a draft.

ETA:  A lot of the physical requirements will be waivered if the cause is great enough.  I had a boss that was missing part/all of his right bird/ring and little finger.  He tried to join but was 4F.  Later he got a call: "you still have your trigger finger.  If you want to join, come on down."  He was rushed thru basic training and 75 years ago, yesterday, he went across Omaha Beach.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 4:17:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

BULLSHIT!!!  No one in the military has time to supervise all the fuckups.  There is a reason the military is NOT clamoring for a draft.
View Quote
The military should spend more time thinking honestly thinking about who they promote rather than who they induct. Id take an armed forces with a draft but genuinly good leadership who do what it takes to win over what we have now anyday.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The military should spend more time thinking honestly thinking about who they promote rather than who they induct. Id take an armed forces with a draft but genuinly good leadership who do what it takes to win over what we have now anyday.
View Quote
I agree, but that ain't happening.  Officers tend to promote those that think/act like them.  Every officer O4 and above came in under Obama or the shrub.  One promoted YES men the other SJWs.  Guess who they are promoting.  If Trump wins in 2020 and Pence in 2024, you might see some changes.  It will take that long.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#50]
OUT - FUCKING - STANDING !!!!! Bravo Zulu Dad !!!
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top