Marx was Russian?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Communism.

Marx was Russian?

The Russians stole everything from Germany.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:32:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Huh, some interesting finds.

Paratrooper units, active protection systems, submarine launched ballistic missiles.

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're thinking China
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 1:38:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't recall this item back in the Cold War era
Attachment Attached File

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/5AA8FE2A-071B-4724-B95F-CBB5DA565C9F_jpe-1944772.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/882D802D-89D0-4818-AF75-6513FF0CB438_jpe-1944773.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/41F76426-3E41-4195-B9EB-F0E68725D601_jpe-1944777.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 2:02:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yep.
SVD was doing work, while the US was dicking around trying to find a decent M14 scope mount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
SDM concept is another one that springs to mind.
Yep.
SVD was doing work, while the US was dicking around trying to find a decent M14 scope mount.

AR concept has seemed to come full circle too in some aspects. RPD (M-16 with bipod/ SAW) has been replaced by RPK (M27) albeit decades later. I do suspect that has more to do with evolution of optics capabilities more than anything else.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 2:04:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't recall this item back in the Cold War era
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/5000CB05-78E7-43CF-B675-EA0638E700D7_jpe-1944771.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/5AA8FE2A-071B-4724-B95F-CBB5DA565C9F_jpe-1944772.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/882D802D-89D0-4818-AF75-6513FF0CB438_jpe-1944773.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/459941/41F76426-3E41-4195-B9EB-F0E68725D601_jpe-1944777.JPG

https://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/1.-HHC-Tommy-gun-2011.127.63-17.jpg

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 3:11:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Wow 400-2000m sights? Nowhere near realistic.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 3:33:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Didn't they invent the helmet-mounted missile targeting system for fighters?

There is a few things in rocketry they were the first to do as well
View Quote

Look down, shoot down.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 3:57:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Huh, some interesting finds.

Paratrooper units, active protection systems, submarine launched ballistic missiles.

View Quote

Airborne forces were first proposed as a concept by Ben Franklin, shortly after the invention of the balloon.

The first serious proposal and planning for their use in wartime was made by US and UK Officers during WWI. They planned on dropping US forces behind German trenches to force them to negotiate, but didn't actually do it.

The first actual organization to create dedicated airborne forces and test them in training was the Italian Army.

The Soviets just went into the concept hard early on and developed doctrine to modernize it for WWII.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I could have sworn I read that the Russians were working on GPS right before the collapses in 1991 and we stole/ borrowed the research and rolled it out first. It's late so I could be confused about something else.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The optical IRST system used in Mig-29's and Sukhois is just now being adopted by the west.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/04/German_MIG-29_Nose.jpg

The west is also moving towards an area denial strategy the soviet used for land based air defense. We can no long guarantee numerical or tactical air superiority in theaters like the SCS.

View Quote

The IRST kinda sucked for years. It worked but it was limited in applications. The AA11 was one of the first off boresight A2A missiles. It had a smallish warhead but worked well before we had our 9X.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I could have sworn I read that the Russians were working on GPS right before the collapses in 1991 and we stole/ borrowed the research and rolled it out first. It's late so I could be confused about something else.
View Quote

GPS predates GLONASS by quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#13]
The Marines considered buying a case of extra small condoms for the commissary but decided it would last for decades in the warhorse.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:22:46 AM EDT
[#14]
USNS LCPL Roy M. Wheat was adopted from the Soviet.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#15]
they should adopt that thermobaric rpg round along with with the rpg

Maybe that PKM.

or the chopped and channeled RPD.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:25:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Russians didn’t even invent vodka; the Polish did.
View Quote

Cultural appropriation.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#17]
What about those smooth bore anti tank "bazookas" that fired those different style of projectiles.......???

They came out when I was a kid and IIRC they kinda went mainstream in the years following???

Here it is........T12 anti tank gun..........

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Grid fins for supersonic weapons.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/348/14897.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Grid fins for supersonic weapons.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/348/14897.JPG

Those are called lattice fins, and are also used on Flacon 9. Yes, they are a Soviet invention, but not specifically for "supersonic" (although they work well in that regime as well).

Quoted:

GPS predates GLONASS by quite a bit.

By 3 years, not a lot. But neither GPS nor GLONASS are copies of each other, since other systems existed before them in both countries. Both had satellite navigation constellations through the 1960s. At least the concept of satellite navigation wasn't invented by neither GPS nor GLONASS.

Quoted:
The T-62 had a smoothbore cannon before we adopted such a design.

It also had the world's first operational APFSDS round, which is why it had a smoothbore cannon.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Very forward thinking IMO and would have saved us 20+ years of nonsense to come to same conclusion. M2 carbine would have been a good jumping off point though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Americans looked at the STG-44 and said LOL No Way!

Then the Soviets shat forth a mountain of Kalashnikovs and after the US encountered them, thought golly, maybe a box magazine fed Garand isn’t the hotness we thought it was…

Very forward thinking IMO and would have saved us 20+ years of nonsense to come to same conclusion. M2 carbine would have been a good jumping off point though.

If really forward looking...

in .276 Pederson.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That was more of a tie, the USSR and USA both adopted German scientists in early 45.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was more of a tie, the USSR and USA both adopted German scientists in early 45.
The US got Werner Von Braun and other top Nazi rocket program leadership. The Soviets got the lower level people but it pretty much evened out at the end. The Soviets never fielded the N1 which was the closest they had to the Saturn V.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#21]

A total of 262,000 Chauchats were manufactured between December 1915 and November 1918.
Its design dates back to 1907.

Only 3200 Fedorovs were made and its origonal design dates to 1913.

Honestly tho i think we're getting into the weeds.
Both are really old and showed up very close to eachother time wise.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes, I think the MiG-29 was the first fighter to have that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, I think the MiG-29 was the first fighter to have that.

F-4J Phantom was the first fixed wing with one it was called VTAS.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
By 3 years, not a lot. But neither GPS nor GLONASS are copies of each other, since other systems existed before them in both countries. Both had satellite navigation constellations through the 1960s. At least the concept of satellite navigation wasn't invented by neither GPS nor GLONASS.
View Quote

If you want to count Transit/Parus, we launched the first Transit in the late 50s, Soviets launched the first Parus in the early 70s.

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Back in the 80’s army, we were issued a chemical decon kit that we were told was directly copied from a soviet kit.  I can’t remember the nomenclature, but it included popsicle sticks that you were supposed to use to scrape the nerve gas off your skin.    Also some charcoal pad iirc.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well, I was going to say communism
View Quote

Marx was a German.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#27]
30 round magazine
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Airborne forces were first proposed as a concept by Ben Franklin, shortly after the invention of the balloon.

The first serious proposal and planning for their use in wartime was made by US and UK Officers during WWI. They planned on dropping US forces behind German trenches to force them to negotiate, but didn't actually do it.

The first actual organization to create dedicated airborne forces and test them in training was the Italian Army.

The Soviets just went into the concept hard early on and developed doctrine to modernize it for WWII.
View Quote
The Soviets had an organization called Osoaviakhim (Society for the Assistance of Defense, Aircraft and Chemical Construction) that was a "voluntary" youth paramilitary/reservist training program with 13 million members in 1941.  In the 30's they operated many parachute training towers and glider schools, and on the eve of WWII they claimed to have over 1 million trained parachutists (the vast majority not honestly paratroopers, but people at least capable of falling out of a plane while clutching a rifle) and 140,000 glider pilots.  Seemed to make sense for a country that big with roads that bad.  So yeah, they went for it big time.  But they lost air superiority, and large scale paratrooper operations were cancelled after several mid-sized night drop fiascos.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
30 round magazine
View Quote

Stole from Germans.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Stole from Germans.
View Quote

Stoner speaking to Kalashnikov told him they switched to 30 rounders because the soviets had them. Kalashnikov told Stoner they switched to 5.45 because of the 5.56. Wasn’t happy about it either
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Haha nooooo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some radar and space program stuff

Haha nooooo.

As someone posted earlier they had the first orbital satellite. The US didn't have much interest in putting anything into orbit until Sputnik.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Stoner speaking to Kalashnikov told him they switched to 30 rounders because the soviets had them. Kalashnikov told Stoner they switched to 5.45 because of the 5.56. Wasn’t happy about it either
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stole from Germans.

Germans had them first.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

As someone posted earlier they had the first orbital satellite. The US didn't have much interest in putting anything into orbit until Sputnik.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha nooooo.

The U.S. Earth satellite program began in 1954 as a joint U.S. Army and U.S. Navy proposal, called Project Orbiter, to put a scientific satellite into orbit during the International Geophysical Year (IGY).
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No but we should have adopted the ekranoplane just because they’re cool as shit
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I may not be remembering correctly, but Have Blue stealth was based off of a Soviet mathematicians works
View Quote

Yes it was, though the actual work was on calculating the radar signature of an object (airplane), rather than how to manipulate that shape to achieve a desired radar signature.  The Soviets had not used the work for any stealth development of their own.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:15:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The U.S. Earth satellite program began in 1954 as a joint U.S. Army and U.S. Navy proposal, called Project Orbiter, to put a scientific satellite into orbit during the International Geophysical Year (IGY).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha nooooo.

And they got beat into orbit by a country that couldn't even build a decent refrigerator so I don't think there was much national interest or the US would have been first. I am not entirely sure how to interpret the terms 'adopt' and 'invented' but the Soviets did it first before the US had the capability so I think it counts or at the very least should be a notable mention.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes. We literally copied some of their mobile bridging equipment during the Cold War.

In more modern terms, we had RPG-7s produced in US under contract for FMA.
View Quote

But the RPG-7 wasn't an "invention" so much as a development - after all, it was the 7th model of a handheld anti-tank rocket launcher, with the RPG-2 being the first model actually fielded by the Soviets.  The Bazooka was the first, though the Soviet RPG series was a definite refinement, being much quicker and easier to load.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

No US had a similar system before but chose to spend money on things due to Aimval/aceval.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#39]
The MiG-25 layout -> F-15
AK-47-> M-249 SAW bolt carrier assembly
Gridfin missile fins
The YAK-141 and engine ->F-35B and engine design
The BMP series infantry fighting concept predates the Bradley.
The USMC has went back to magazine fed automatic rifle (M27) in the fire team whereas as the Russians never did.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I enjoy Belvedere at the top end but frankly I have a hard time justifying the extra cost over Luksosowa. Sobieski is IMHO on par with goose but MUCH cheaper and it's what I keep in my decanters.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#41]
The current M9 bayonet - I believe - is a copy of the Russian AK bayonet with specific features going back to 1951. The Russians had the basic design with the AKM bayonet with the wire cutting blade/scabbard combination and sawback on their AK bayonets 60 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Back in the 80’s army, we were issued a chemical decon kit that we were told was directly copied from a soviet kit.  I can’t remember the nomenclature, but it included popsicle sticks that you were supposed to use to scrape the nerve gas off your skin.    Also some charcoal pad iirc.
View Quote

True.

The U.S. Army dismantled the Chemical Corps branch after the signing of some treaties in the mid-1960s.

When the Israelis found so much, and such a variety of Warsaw Pact NBC gear among the captured/destroyed troops and units of the Egyptian Army, during the 6 Day War, they shared it with the U.S..

The finding were a shock. U.S. officials were convinced that the Warsaw Pact was seriously prepared for war in an NBC environment. The U.S. Army immediately made improved copies of the Warsaw Pact detection and mitigation gear. It also re-activated the Chemical Corps branch, which would be a challenge, because the last officer was commissioned in that branch in 1965.

In late 1973/early 1974, there was an entire class of second lieutenants enrolled in the Ordnance Branch Officer Basic Course. They came to the classroom one Wednesday and their instructors told them there would be no classes the resto of the week. The entire class was being re-branched to the Chemical Corps. They were to go to the Clothing Sales store, which had just received a batch of Chemical Corps branch insignia, buy the insignia and have it on their collars when they reported on Monday for the first day of the new Chemical Corps Officer Basic Course.

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

M-1/M-2 carbine had a 30 round magazine.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:04:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

But the RPG-7 wasn't an "invention" so much as a development - after all, it was the 7th model of a handheld anti-tank rocket launcher, with the RPG-2 being the first model actually fielded by the Soviets.  The Bazooka was the first, though the Soviet RPG series was a definite refinement, being much quicker and easier to load.
View Quote

Even though everyone calls the RPG-7 a rocket propelled grenade, the projectile isn't even rocket propelled.

And the RPG-2 was a soviet copy of a German weapon.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Even though everyone calls the RPG-7 a rocket propelled grenade, the projectile isn't even rocket propelled.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

RPG isn't in English. In Russian it is an acronym which means hand-held anti-tank grenade-thrower.

Quoted:
If you want to count Transit/Parus, we launched the first Transit in the late 50s, Soviets launched the first Parus in the early 70s.

They had a system prior to Parus; Tsiklon from 1967. But the point is that neither GPS nor GLONASS were the first, anyway.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#46]
RD-180

Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The current M9 bayonet - I believe - is a copy of the Russian AK bayonet with specific features going back to 1951. The Russians had the basic design with the AKM bayonet with the wire cutting blade/scabbard combination and sawback on their AK bayonets 60 years ago.
View Quote
@CarlosC

The features of the M9 (stainless steel blade, wire cutting scabbard, and sawback) were all copied from the AKM bayonet (1959) but not the design itself.

Eickhorn (Germany) makes a much better bayonet, which also copies the features of the AKM bayonet (including insulating the user's hand for cutting electrified wire, which the M9 doesn't do), and they did it earlier (1969?) than Phrobis (which is the private US firm who developed the M9 bayonet) in the early to mid-1980s.

The USMC actually adopted Eickhorn's Bayonet 2000 (like Canada did) after concluding that infantrymen do not need a wire cutting scabbard (which strengthens the blade by omitting the peg hole for it) and therefore having Eickhorn remove that feature, but ended up adopting/fielding the OKC 3S bayonet because of the huge fit the US knife industry pitched about "adopting a foreign design" and "muh contract monies".

I think the 2 above reasons are why the US doesn't get the best stuff (when we end up not getting it).

If we invent it here then we're good.
(Because then a domestic firm gets the big contract money, and it's all about the money.)

Edit: Eickhorn and the Dutch firm NWM jointly developed their KCB-70 bayonet for use with the Stoner 63 weapons system (and later Eickhorn adapted/offered it for pretty much everything).

http://worldbayonets.com/Library/Articles/eickhorn_kcb_70_article.pdf
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I recall our rank structure had French influence. The French had a bit of influence on our military back to revolutionary era. I guess my WW1 knowledge is lacking
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I recall our rank structure had French influence. The French had a bit of influence on our military back to revolutionary era. I guess my WW1 knowledge is lacking
For all the crap people give the French military (most of it very undeserved, their leaders have historically sucked but their troops have always been solid) they basically invented much of modern military practices. There is a reason most English words for military tasks are French or derived from French (reconnaissance, sabotage, artillery, cavalry, etc.).

There are other WW1 guns (and probably even some from earlier) with VFGs, I just can't think of them at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Armor related ones I can think of offhand. They may not have been the pioneers but certainly ones that put them into general use.
1. Reactive armor such as Kontact 1 and 5. We adapted eventually with Blazer, TUSK 1/2.
2. Passive defense systems such as bar armor, laser sensors, and applique. We adapted eventually with TUSK 1/2 and for the sensor thing with the Boomerang (not a laser sensor though).  
3. Active protection systems such as Drodz and Arena. We are finally getting this online with the Trophy system.
4. Passive defense systems such as bar armor and Shtora. We have used the bar armor concept since Mid AFG time frame for bar armor and possibly the Desert Storm era for the Shtora via the USMC MCD. Not a huge success evidently.
5. Auto loaders. We later eventually used them on MGS.
View Quote
The US had been testing auto-loading tanks since before WW2
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And they got beat into orbit by a country that couldn't even build a decent refrigerator so I don't think there was much national interest or the US would have been first. I am not entirely sure how to interpret the terms 'adopt' and 'invented' but the Soviets did it first before the US had the capability so I think it counts or at the very least should be a notable mention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha nooooo.

Attachment Attached File

On 29 July 1955, U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower announced through his press secretary that, during the International Geophysical Year (IGY), the United States would launch an artificial satellite. Four days later, Leonid Sedov, a leading Soviet physicist, announced that they too would launch an artificial satellite. On 8 August, the Politburo of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union approved the proposal to create an artificial satellite.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top