Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing cuts steel faster than a linear shaped charge.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing cuts steel faster than a linear shaped charge.
View Quote
Lightsabers do. If you account for the setup time.
They are in the same universe where every time you have to cut even a piece or two of metal stock you have to have abrasive wheels and power tools or well shit, it just can't be done. I don't have a hacksaw.

Oh there's a hardware store down the street? So what, I don't know how to use a $4.99 bargain bin frame and a nice Lennox blade to cut two pieces of pipe.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
These are the same people that can't figure a tip without their T-92, and God forbid the GPS quits, holy fuck send the C-SARS team, my phone is dead. Help I can't breathe...
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Using a nice hacksaw doesn't mean, like, welp, using a hacksaw is better than a nice dedicated chopsaw for making repetitive cuts all day and is best. Fucking derp.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I never can get that shit cut straight.  I have to plan on cutting it just a wee bit too big and then filing/grinding it to size.
View Quote
Pretty much exactly what I do usually.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Back in the late 80’s my dad, brother and me turned a 4x4 flat utility trailer into a pretty nice double jet ski trailer using nothing but hack saws and old bed frames.
Lasted for years until we sold the jet skis.

Ever need some cheap angle iron go around on trash night and find some old bed frames.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Hell no. I always get in a hurry and wind up with crooked cuts.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]
It's another tool in the tool box, but I prefer to use a grinder or dremel if I can.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Back in the late 80’s my dad, brother and me turned a 4x4 flat utility trailer into a pretty nice jet ski trailer using nothing but hack saws and old bed frames.
Lasted for years until we sold the jet skis.

Ever need some cheap angle iron go around on trash night and find some old bed frames.
View Quote
That last line is simply hilarious. You have no idea how many millions and billions of dollars are based on "clutter is Bad" and "Recycling is when you sell perfectly usable metal stock for 9 cents on the dollar to be melted down and made into identical metal stock for 1300% markup at retail."

LOL
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I have used the hacksaw blade by itself held in my hand far too many times cutting through frozen swing arm bolts on dirt bikes and 3 wheelers.
BFH wouldn't do it, heat wouldn't, I admit it was satisfying getting through the final cut at those times.

I grease my swing arm bearings unfortunately the previous owners don't.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, I agree OP. Other than selecting a quality blade with the correct TPI, it's important to use a high tension hacksaw frame. The cheap frames make the task miserable.

I also like using hand planes, files, and screw drivers. Hand planing and hand filing can be especially satisfying.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes, I agree OP. Other than selecting a quality blade with the correct TPI, it's important to use a high tension hacksaw frame. The cheap frames make the task miserable.

I also like using hand planes, files, and screw drivers. Hand planing and hand filing can be especially satisfying.
View Quote
I love using manual screwdrivers over the quick and lazy powered drivers.  Not just for the satisfaction of driving that screw home by hand, but it gives you a gentler touch so you avoid hogging out the screws or stripping them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I use hand tools as often as possible, saws, screw drivers, etc etc. People are amazed at my grip when I shake their hand.
View Quote
Arthritis and tendonitis.  Beware if you do this all the time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I own a horizontal and vertical band saw so that I don't have to use a hack saw.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#16]
No. Arc gouger, plasma torch, oxy-acetylene, die grinder, etc. Hand tools are cool for some things but cutting steel, not so much, at least not for most fabrication purposes.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Cut off wheel in a cheap ass Harbor Freight 4" grinder.

I still want a cordless Dewalt 4" grinder too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#19]
This is about as primitive as I like to get.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In a world full of power tools it’s easy to forget how effective a hacksaw with a new blade can be.  Might even be faster in some cases.
View Quote

Sometimes I will use one, like you said, might even be faster.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I know Snap-On tools are extremely expensive ($80-100K sitting in a toolbox) but a Snap-On hacksaw blade is by far the best metal cutting blade in the universe. I've tried just about all  of them and I'll buy Snap-On blades until I die.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I have one of these:

With the gearbox on the back to switch between wood cutting or metal cutting.

And I have one of these:

Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I have abrasive "cookie" wheels for my Dremel, two inch grinder and four inch grinder.  Life's way to short to use a hacksaw.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have abrasive "cookie" wheels for my Dremel, two inch grinder and four inch grinder.  Life's way to short to use a hacksaw.
View Quote
I bet many of you have never used a good hacksaw if you think it takes long.  When you see that blade sinking through the steel with each stroke, that is satisfying.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Plasma cutter.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#27]
No, but I do love cutting wood with a Japanese pull saw.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I cant think of any cases where a hacksaw would be faster than an angle grinder with a cut off wheel
View Quote
Cutting right next to a gas tank.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I use a hack saw for small jobs... or maybe the Sawzall...or the 3" cut-off wheel...or a cutting wheel in the grinder... or the abrasive chop saw...or maybe the 4x6 band saw.

A good sharp blade is a joy to use.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#30]
i have a lot of scars on my fingers from cutting emt too fast with a hacksaw and catching the end of the conduit with a knuckle
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#31]
NO!
That's why I have:
three recip saws
14" chop saw
4.5 inch angle grinders
And when all else fails, a plasma cutter that will part 3/4 inch steel

OK, maybe if you have to make one cut on a small rod or bolt, it's quicker to cut with a hack saw. If one is handy. The metallurgy in new blades is outstanding, but nothing like a dull blade to piss me off.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#32]
It must be tough being poor
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:36:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Sometimes it's just as easy to use a hacksaw.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:55:05 PM EDT
[#34]
That thing would be unbelievably slow cutting, unless of course you put a blade on it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It must be tough being poor
View Quote
Oh come on, you can buy a sawzall second hand for $10.  This thread is about enjoying the physical exertion and personal satisfaction that a good hacksaw with a sharp blade can bring.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I value efficiency over the hollow sense of self satisfaction over mindless physical exertion.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I value efficiency over the hollow sense of self satisfaction over mindless physical exertion.
View Quote
Well, as said earlier, sometimes the hacksaw is a time saver, especially if it’s a small job.

No physical exertion is mindless.  It’s all good for you.

There, I’ve led you to the water.  Don’t drink it if you don’t want to.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Nope. It's a last resort.

Mankind didn't invent all the badass power tools and implements of destruction we have and and me having bought most of them, to not use them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I cant think of any cases where a hacksaw would be faster than an angle grinder with a cut off wheel
Smarter and Safer, obviously. But not faster
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Smarter and Safer, obviously. But not faster
View Quote
Get a new Lennox blade going in a good rhythm and it won’t be much slower.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Well, as said earlier, sometimes the hacksaw is a time saver, especially if it’s a small job.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The time spent mindlessly hacking away at it is time not spent doing something else. Something more productive that can provide a genuine sense of pride.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#42]
How do we cut 2 in. radius  rounded corners on 1/4 plate?  My skil-saw sucked even with new metal cutting blades.

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Hacksaws have their place, and are sometimes the right tool for the job. But a portable power bandsaw just cuts through things like angle iron so easily with no vibration. And I just learned a few weeks ago that a 7" grinder with a diamond metal cutting blade will just go through a 3" cast iron pipe in about 45 seconds. I had to use that tool because of the access was limited, so I could only fit the grinder in there, otherwise the bandsaw would have been good.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In a world full of power tools it’s easy to forget how effective a hacksaw with a new blade can be.  Might even be faster in some cases.
View Quote
You want to know how I know that you've never run a vertical or horizontal bandsaw or a Bridgeport?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#45]
I’m going to guess you’ve never used a plasma torch.  Reciprocating band tools suck for cutting steel. Sometimes it’s your only option though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#46]
What about a cutting torch?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You want to know how I know that you've never run a vertical or horizontal bandsaw or a Bridgeport?
View Quote
I have, and I like hacksaws too.  I just used one yesterday for the first time in a while, when my pneumatic whiz saw wouldn't fit, and had a great time.  That's why I am trying to spread the word.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I have, and I like hacksaws too.  I just used one yesterday for the first time in a while, when my pneumatic whiz saw wouldn't fit, and had a great time.  That's why I am trying to spread the word.
View Quote
Sort of a Johnny Hacksawblade guy, huh?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If the blade is not labeled "Lennox" you can stop there at that point, no need to carry on further. It's going to suck.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hand planing and hand filing can be especially satisfying.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top