Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I’d love to own a full sized black poodle.  So many dogs I want, and life is so damned short.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They're really smart dogs
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
movies and tv will drive a breed popularity, once they remake the show the breed sees a new resurgence,

101 Dalmatians
Lady and the tramp
Rin Tin Tin
Beethoven
Call of the Wild
Lassie  
MTV Cribs
View Quote

Since that Belgian Malinois was involved in that terrorist takedown in the news awhile back, I've seen a few people with Mal pups lately.  I hope they know what they're in for.
Here's a list ranking the 192 breeds recognized by the AKC from 2018 by popularity.  
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/news/most-popular-dog-breeds-full-ranking-list/
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

My last pooch was an American Eskimo-Chow cross.  

She looked exactly like your Esky except her coat was Chow Chow fawn color.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
There's 3 poodles in my neighborhood.  Cool dogs--I like em.

I haven't seen an Airedale since around 1980.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The three weekends I volunteered at the ARL and every single subsequent visit I have made, 80% of the dogs available are Pits. It may be a bit of confirmation bias, as people with them don't want them or whatever, but you'd think every third dog in this country was a pit at this point.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the breeds categorized as pits are legitimately the most common large breed dogs in America, and it's not even close. They're everywhere.

They just don't rank with the AKC or whatever because almost none of them are papered.
The three weekends I volunteered at the ARL and every single subsequent visit I have made, 80% of the dogs available are Pits. It may be a bit of confirmation bias, as people with them don't want them or whatever, but you'd think every third dog in this country was a pit at this point.

The shelters are the obvious place, but there's also something to be said about what is seen driving around neighborhoods or whatever.

I see more pits than I do Labs, Goldens, Boxers.... whatever.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]
It's been a few decades since I've seen a Newfoundland.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My last pup was a bc … she made it 14 years and I will never own another dog only because she was so smart and it would not be fair for the next one  
View Quote

I thought the same thing.  It took me almost 15 years to get another dog, sing my Rott was the greatest dog ever.

I won't be without a dog again, they make life much more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Since that Belgian Malinois was involved in that terrorist takedown in the news awhile back, I've seen a few people with Mal pups lately.  I hope they know what they're in for.
Here's a list ranking the 192 breeds recognized by the AKC from 2018 by popularity.  
https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/news/most-popular-dog-breeds-full-ranking-list/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
movies and tv will drive a breed popularity, once they remake the show the breed sees a new resurgence,

101 Dalmatians
Lady and the tramp
Rin Tin Tin
Beethoven
Call of the Wild
Lassie  
MTV Cribs

See what I mean?...

Frenchies at #4?

The Cavalier King Charles at #18? Those are NOT easy dogs to find.

Chihuahuas down at #33 and Am-Staffs at #85? Not even close.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Beagles are still heavily used by the medical research industry.

It's pretty messed up. They can only get used for one study. When that study is over, the dogs get a limited window to be adopted out before they are killed and their organs are harvested. The companies that do the work often don't work with rescue groups or the like, so it's pretty much on individual employees to sign the waivers, get the dogs out, and find them homes.

I have a survivor. I'm happy he's not dead, but adopting him hasn't been painless from a training and adaptation standpoint.
View Quote

Sad.  But God bless you for rescuing one.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a female black mouth cur. Nobody knows what she is and seem perplexed by her. Dog places don't even have her breed in the system. I've met one other person with a  black mouth cur in the 4 years I have owned her.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/335547/EC31B3E6-6BBD-41C9-A993-250A437F4D36-1204984.jpg
View Quote

Shes a cutie.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:56:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I haven't seen an Irish Setter in ages.
View Quote

This.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Got a few of those beasts around here.

My buddy from HS had a Newfie and a St Bernard. You would hear them just breathing from the other side of the house.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#13]

A lot of the ranchers around here assume Sofia is a Plott Hound, she's merely a mutt. But you don't see many of the hound dogs anymore. Love the Cur dogs, Fox Hounds, Catahoula's, etc.. Seems like everyone around here has Pyrenees, myself included.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

See what I mean?...

Frenchies at #4?

View Quote
My wife wants a Cavalier King Charles. Im surprised they are 18. I have only known one person who has them but never been around them. Afraid to get into something without knowing much about it. My Golden is awesome..
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My last pooch was an American Eskimo-Chow cross.  

She looked exactly like your Esky except her coat was Chow Chow fawn color.
View Quote

@MotorMouth. Do you have a pic of your doggo?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
American Fox Hound. I've seen 2 in my life and I have owned them bothhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/117398/20200102_120023_jpg-1380969.JPG
View Quote

I'm 61 years old and don't recall ever seeing one. I've read and heard a lot about Fox hounds though. Your dog is unmistakable from pictures and paintings I've seen.

I was fortunate to have hunted with an Irish Setter 40 years ago. I only know of three that I've actually seen.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@MotorMouth. Do you have a pic of your doggo?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
don't see pointerpoodles much if at all... Will be my next dog. Poodle mix breed dogs are great.
View Quote

I think you mean Pudelpointer, and they are not ANYTHING like a poodle. Like race car vs KIA.

Owned standard poodles as a kid then got a pudelpointer when I got out of my parents.

Its not a mix per se, everyone gets that wrong and the vet usually doesn't even know about the breed. Oh and they are not a dying breed, just bred selectively for their hunting traits, which is why you see a large variation of hair length and color. For the most part you don't get one unless you are a hunter.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a female black mouth cur. Nobody knows what she is and seem perplexed by her. Dog places don't even have her breed in the system. I've met one other person with a  black mouth cur in the 4 years I have owned her.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/335547/EC31B3E6-6BBD-41C9-A993-250A437F4D36-1204984.jpg
View Quote
@PikeSlayer

My male, Jake.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

See what I mean?...

Frenchies at #4?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

101 Dalmatians
Lady and the tramp
Rin Tin Tin
Beethoven
Call of the Wild
Lassie  
MTV Cribs

See what I mean?...

Frenchies at #4?

That is, of course, considering only those dogs and breeds registered by the AKC. Pit bull mixes are by far the most common type of dog in the US. Chihuahuas are as low as they are there because the majority of them aren’t registered, and of the ones that are, most of the large scale breeders jumped ship to the alternate registries (CKC, APRI) when AKC started cracking down on crappy breeders. Real, registered Am Staffs aren’t that common, but APBTs aren’t registered AKC and are the most popular breed registered through UKC, never mind the fact that they have their very own registry, the ADBA. Plus all the unregistered ones and their mongrel offspring running around.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I swear, every dog I see that's being given away for free or that's at a shelter is some sort of a pit bull mongrel mutt.
View Quote
For sure.

Definitely adopting someone else's problem.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#22]

@VacaDuck

He looks nice! Is yours an alarm system? I swear ours was trained by ADT. Anything starts coming up the 200 meter road through the woods and she is going off 30 seconds before we can even see a car. We can take her away from the farm and she is super cool with anyone. Get her 2 seconds inside the property and BAM!  It is like I have an instant terminator on patrol.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#23]
My son raises Cocker Spaniels for bird dogs.  It is amazing to watch them hunt, track, and retrieve.  He has worked himself and his dogs up in the ranks (wins at trials events) and now gets $3-5K for the pups.  Someone just drove from Minnesota to West Texas to pick one up.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a neighbor up the road that had a couple.  They both died a few months after the hurricane that tore up the entire county in 2018, I guess they couldn't handle the extra stress involved with all the disruption.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My son raises Cocker Spaniels for bird dogs.  It is amazing to watch them hunt, track, and retrieve.  He has worked himself and his dogs up in the ranks (wins at trials events) and now gets $3-5K for the pups.  Someone just drove from Minnesota to West Texas to pick one up.

View Quote

IMHO, the field bred Cockers are a far cry from the non field bred versions.

I hunt behind a few cockers and consider them a smart and capable flusher with tons of drive.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My wife wants a Cavalier King Charles. Im surprised they are 18. I have only known one person who has them but never been around them. Afraid to get into something without knowing much about it. My Golden is awesome..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See what I mean?...

Frenchies at #4?

They're very sweet natured dogs, and very family friendly. Basically a live, dog shaped teddy bear.

We used to have one in the family. I don't recall him ever having any behavioral annoyances. He always wanted to be next to someone, and he used to wait in the hallway in anticipation when he knew it was almost bed time. I drove all over the country with him, and I think he low-key loved it. He pretty much just relaxed in the back seat most of the ride, but there were times we'd let him out and he'd run to the back door of the vehicle thinking he was going somewhere.

The only concerns I'd have in adopting one are the potential for health issues, but I reckon that's the case with any smaller population breed. The one in my family didn't have any major issues aside from a tumor late in his life.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Probably 2/3 of the posted dying breeds are present in my neighborhood.
Many bird dog breed numbers are fading along with bird habitat. We have a golden doodle, and there are three more on the neighborhood but I'd love to have and train an English setter. The best part of bird hunting is watching the dogs. Even though my body isn't capable of bird hunting anymore.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#28]
One of my best dogs was a cocker spaniel. Well he wasn't 100% pure cocker, but at least 3/4. We adopted a dog that was supposedly 100% cocker, but she was off, something else was mixed in there, maybe some springer, I don't know. We had her bred to the neighbors AKC registered black cocker and had a few litters of cute puppies.

The last litter, she threw a couple of black cockers, one had brown eyebrows, brown feet, a little brown on the muzzle. My sisters named him Pudge after Pudge Rodriguez the baseball player. We kept him.

I don't think I've ever seen a more muscular/fat looking cocker. He wasn't tall, he was short like a cocker should be but he was chunky and had this absolutely gorgeous black curly hair, it had sheen to it and Pudge was an outside dog, no spa days. I think his hair looked so good because he would go out and nudge the chickens till they laid an egg and then he'd eat the egg. But I swear, Micheal Jackson would have been jealous of this dog's hair.

He had cocker rage too, you didn't fuck with Pudge too much because he'd snap at you if he didn't like your shit. But if he saw that I had a BB gun or a shotgun or a bow and arrow, Pudge was down with killing some stuff.

One of my favorite things was shooting grackles off the fence, but I didn't shoot across the fence, I'd sneak up to the fence and shoot down the fence with a 12 ga loaded with #8, then empty the gun in the sky when they flew up. Pudge went nuts when we did this. After the first shot, he take off into the birds to kill all the wounded birds. He had a hell of a good time every time we could pull it off.

Another time, I had my compound bow with flu-flu arrow and a judo point and was looking for birds. There just happened to be a grackle in the top of my father's pear tree and I let fly with that flu-flu arrow. I actually hit the bird, but it was back towards the tail. The bird fell from the tree, but caught flight about 3 ft off the ground and commenced to fly away. Pudge was having none of that. The bird couldn't gain any altitude and Pudge caught up with him and snatched his ass out of the air. It was fucking magical. Some good times with that dog, never seen another cocker spaniel like him.

He finally died a grumpy old man dog in the heat one summer after I graduated college, I buried him out back of my parent's place.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I have an irish setter. They were overbred in the early 80s and had health problems. The seem to be very healthy dogs now and I have seen a few around.

My aunt had an afghan hound in the 80s. It was the only one I ever saw.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Off topic, but the English Pointer and English Setter are circling the drain (in numbers of registered litters) in England.

While people still grouse hunt on the moors, 100 years ago there was a mix of hunting in solo or in small groups behind pointing dogs. Now it's mostly done from pit or butt blinds, with the birds driven to you by beaters, labs, and spaniels.

The continental versatiles (Vizla and German Shorthair) are wildly more popular in England than their own pointer and Setter.

More English Setter litters are registered in Italy than in England each year.
View Quote
One my neighbors had an English Setter when I was a kid and my Uncle also had one. It was amazing to watch those dogs work. They would point, flush and retrieve it was like art. It was cruel to shoot clays around them because they would search the ground relentlessly looking for those "birds". RIP Jet Stream Spectacular aka Speck
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Mine was ran over as well. He was at my grandparents place in the country where fences were for cattle, not dogs. I watched him chase cars, like 1/2 of all country dogs. He wanted to play chicken with the front wheels instead of chasing them from behind like most dogs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had one growing up. I always called it an Eskimo Spitz. Great dog.

My school bus driver ran over him. Fuck that bitch.

Mine was ran over as well. He was at my grandparents place in the country where fences were for cattle, not dogs. I watched him chase cars, like 1/2 of all country dogs. He wanted to play chicken with the front wheels instead of chasing them from behind like most dogs.

@SeanTX

Very similar circumstances with L.B.

He loved to chase cars, but we lived at the end of a dirt road so only the garbage truck, school bus, and mailman would regularly come down our road.

One of our babysitters was dating some guy who looking back on it was a giant tool/douchebag (he had these on whatever piece of shit he drove), and L.B. actually punctured a sidewall in one of his tires when he came to visit his girlfriend before my parents got home.

Poor fucker had to drive his car with a flat back into town on a dirt road
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm 61 years old and don't recall ever seeing one. I've read and heard a lot about Fox hounds though. Your dog is unmistakable from pictures and paintings I've seen.

I was fortunate to have hunted with an Irish Setter 40 years ago. I only know of three that I've actually seen.
View Quote
They are one of the most gentle and loving breeds that I have ever raised. Stupid fast, hyper as hell and loves to bay at squirrels
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

One of our babysitters was dating some guy who looking back on it was a giant tool/douchebag (he had these on whatever piece of shit he drove), and L.B. actually punctured a sidewall in one of his tires when he came to visit his girlfriend before my parents got home.
View Quote

Good doggy.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Racing greyhounds are becoming scarcer now that more tracks are closing. The last remaining Alabama track just closed this week.

https://www.wvtm13.com/article/nearly-600-dogs-now-need-new-homes/32228836

There's an AKC greyhound but it's barely the same breed IMHO and doesn't have the same athleticism.

None of the adoption groups around here have had new hounds for a while. Good for the dogs I guess.
View Quote

The Portland Greyhound rescue just received a few ex-racers this week.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I think you mean Pudelpointer, and they are not ANYTHING like a poodle. Like race car vs KIA.

Owned standard poodles as a kid then got a pudelpointer when I got out of my parents.

Its not a mix per se, everyone gets that wrong and the vet usually doesn't even know about the breed. Oh and they are not a dying breed, just bred selectively for their hunting traits, which is why you see a large variation of hair length and color. For the most part you don't get one unless you are a hunter.
https://i.imgur.com/BafbLCX.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vDQY2nx.jpg

View Quote

you got me pudelpointer is the correct name I was looking for. Looking for a smart bird dog that sheds very little. My wife has a golden doodle and is easily the best pup I  have ever been around. She wont let me take it hunting.... I am certain her dog would be an amazing bird dog. Insane energy, smart, driven to please, retrieves and swims like it was born for it, and hangs close when off the leash...... Will just be mostly a duck dog and occasional 1 or 2 dove hunts I do. Yes I understand that my wife's designer dog is probably going to be completely different. Have already had a pointer that was awesome and would get another if the poodle-pointer were not an option.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Had cocker spaniel for a short time growing up. Dumbest thing on 4 legs. Watched dad run her over because she stopped in front of the truck to pee.

I wish the pyrenees phase would finally go away. Every Mexican with 2 acers and 3 goats has a couple and they go wherever they want.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#37]
A breed can exist, even in large numbers and still be “dying”.

Breed is about function as much or more than looks.

Both Poodles and Dobermans are good examples. How many Poodles are found in duck blinds? How many Dobermann MWDs or police dogs are there?

Even if there are thousands and thousands of “pure bred” Poodles, the breed is dead by any practical measure. Same with Dobermans and no doubt many other breeds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Dobermans and Rottweilers don't seem to be as common anymore.
View Quote

I have a Doberman....
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

I had two. One was smart as a whip. The other was dumb as a post.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Haven't seen Dalmatians in a while...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dog breed popularity seems cyclical.

A certain dog appears in a movie or something, the breed explodes in popularity, and then it fades back into the masses.

Haven't seen Dalmatians in a while...

I would have to move to take a photo and then the Dalmatian asleep on the couch next to me would move. I will say she does indeed draw attention with lots of folks remarking that they cannot remember the last time they saw a Dalmatian.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I haven't seen an Irish Setter in ages.
View Quote

This.
We had one for a while when I was a kid.  Not the brightest but fun for us to play with.  Still kind of like them.
The few I have seen since were not exactly rocket scientists either.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:02:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Not that their dying, but I’ve never seen a Dalmatian Before
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#44]
When I was a kid, my parents got me a dalmatian.
Since she passed around 10 years ago, I've only seen a handful of them. I hope they stick around.

RIP Sarah
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:08:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

See what I mean?...

Frenchies at #4?

View Quote

I’ve always had Springers and love them.  We always had pairs and one passed away unexpectedly early.  The wife and kids replaced her with a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

Damn thing is deaf, dumb and blind - at 5.  Hopefully I won’t have to fight again for another Springer.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

@VacaDuck

He looks nice! Is yours an alarm system? I swear ours was trained by ADT. Anything starts coming up the 200 meter road through the woods and she is going off 30 seconds before we can even see a car. We can take her away from the farm and she is super cool with anyone. Get her 2 seconds inside the property and BAM!  It is like I have an instant terminator on patrol.
View Quote
Same here. Let's us know if anyone comes up to the house or yard.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They are one of the most gentle and loving breeds that I have ever raised. Stupid fast, hyper as hell and loves to bay at squirrels
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/117398/FullSizeR_1__jpg-1381175.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/117398/FullSizeR_1__jpg-1381175.JPG

My great grandfather raised those years ago. I have a bunch of pictures somewhere of different ones from the 60’s & 70’s.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Both Poodles and Dobermans are good examples. How many Poodles are found in duck blinds? How many Dobermann MWDs or police dogs are there?

Even if there are thousands and thousands of “pure bred” Poodles, the breed is dead by any practical measure. Same with Dobermans and no doubt many other breeds.
View Quote

This most breeds are a severely watered down version of what they were originally bred for, most people would be horrified of owning a real Rottweiler, German shepherd. The so called East German ddr types that fucks think are the real deal are soft compared to the original.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This most breeds are a severely watered down version of what they were originally bred for, most people would be horrified of owning a real Rottweiler, German shepherd. The so called East German ddr types that fucks think are the real deal are soft compared to the original.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, the majority of replies in this thread show folks equating breed with registration and appearance rather than how it functions. There is a HUGE difference between the existence of dogs on a registry and the existence of dogs who can perform the functions of that breed.

ETA- when large numbers of dogs within a breed cannot perform adequately- the breed is dying.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#50]
I had 3 sheepdogs over the years, never see the breed around here anymore. They were great companions, I miss them.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top