Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
EJ advised heavily for my grandmother to keep almost 100k in Lehman Brothers.  Yea, that worked out really well.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting reading!  We have been with EJ for about 10 years now and have three accounts with them.  Guess we have a good agent as we have made money every year, usually 8.5-9.2%, but have over $250K in the accounts.  Do they go up and down each month, yep, but we are in for a longer haul.
View Quote
not last year
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
First of all, all mutual funds have fees for running the fund called 12b-1's. Most range from 75 to 120 basis points. It's not uncommon for custodian firms to charge an IRA maintenance fee for tax reporting. Secondly, you always have market risk with any investment. Third, you shouldn't have taken a check to transfer to another IRA, you should have initiated a transfer from your other account and have it sent from that firm to Edward Jones to move the account. Lastly, most firms will charge an account closing fee. I don't think it's right but it's not uncommon.

That being said, Edward Jones has a bunch of know-nothing "advisors." They'll take anybody off the street and give them a shot at being a financial representative as long as they can pass the requisite exams. They are also free to move your account to another rep if your original rep leaves the firm.

I'm a registered securities principal for a broker/dealer and I also slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
View Quote
Not all funds have a 12b1....not even close to all funds.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@mattellis2

I loathe Fast Eddies Investments but this case it was not EJ's fault.

In order to transfer what I assume was a Simple IRA, the accepting custodian needed to submit a letter of acceptance along with the transfer form.

The broker in which the account transferred to fucked up...Not Big Green
View Quote
Possibly, and we ultimately got it sorted out, but was a royal pain.  I forget the circumstances that made my boss angry enough to want to pull our accounts, but he is just about the most level headed guy I know.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"If you want a friend on Wall Street, buy a dog."
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And all of what happened was in a document you signed.
View Quote
Math and reading is really hard for some people.  I recently opened a Fidelity HSA account online and transfered the money from another HSA in about 20 minutes. The OP is either dumb or just playing dumb.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So your line of work there is no profit to be made?

Work for the govt?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those poor financial advisors need houses and cars and boats and vacations and...they need you to pay for them.

Work for the govt?
Nope, just pointing out that the fees at EJ are higher than other options OP could have chosen. I'm all for people getting paid for their services BUT caveat emptor and all that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
EJ advised heavily for my grandmother to keep almost 100k in Lehman Brothers.  Yea, that worked out really well.
View Quote
@Rumrunner358

I was interning there at that time

They kept saying hold Lehman...everyone else was dumping at 85 cents on the dollar.

your memaw got 15 cents on the dollar.

Buy and Hold till the day you die.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First of all, all mutual funds have fees for running the fund called 12b-1's. Most range from 75 to 120 basis points. It's not uncommon for custodian firms to charge an IRA maintenance fee for tax reporting. Secondly, you always have market risk with any investment. Third, you shouldn't have taken a check to transfer to another IRA, you should have initiated a transfer from your other account and have it sent from that firm to Edward Jones to move the account. Lastly, most firms will charge an account closing fee. I don't think it's right but it's not uncommon.

That being said, Edward Jones has a bunch of know-nothing "advisors." They'll take anybody off the street and give them a shot at being a financial representative as long as they can pass the requisite exams. They are also free to move your account to another rep if your original rep leaves the firm.

I'm a registered securities principal for a broker/dealer and I also slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Yeah...there are funds made to be used in managed accounts without 12.b.1s
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interesting reading!  We have been with EJ for about 10 years now and have three accounts with them.  Guess we have a good agent as we have made money every year, usually 8.5-9.2%, but have over $250K in the accounts.  Do they go up and down each month, yep, but we are in for a longer haul.
View Quote
So I'm not the only one here who has been pleased with their agent.
Do I think the agent and your relationship with them makes a difference?  Yes, absolutely.  This guy came highly recommended by someone I consider very shrewd with their money.

Mine went down last year due to that downturn but I've got a while left before I retire so I wasn't worried about it.  And my return has been VERY good.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Possibly, and we ultimately got it sorted out, but was a royal pain.  I forget the circumstances that made my boss angry enough to want to pull our accounts, but he is just about the most level headed guy I know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@mattellis2

I loathe Fast Eddies Investments but this case it was not EJ's fault.

In order to transfer what I assume was a Simple IRA, the accepting custodian needed to submit a letter of acceptance along with the transfer form.

The broker in which the account transferred to fucked up...Not Big Green
Could have been anything

If it were a 401k, there could have been an issue with the TPA rucking it all up and the Advisor caught the heat.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nope, just pointing out that the fees at EJ are higher than other options OP could have chosen. I'm all for people getting paid for their services BUT caveat emptor and all that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those poor financial advisors need houses and cars and boats and vacations and...they need you to pay for them.

Work for the govt?
I hear ya man.

EJ is high as giraffe ass for what you get
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do I think the agent and your relationship with them makes a difference?  Yes, absolutely.  This guy came highly recommended by someone I consider very shrewd with their money.

Mine went down last year due to that downturn but I've got a while left before I retire so I wasn't worried about it.  And my return has been VERY good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good you like your guys...but don't over hype their returns.

Ak is wrong by saying they made 8.5-9.2% every year that is a false statement.

Because when using markowitz you don't have it both ways.

There is really nothing wrong with doing business with prople you know and trust...but EJ isn't a magic investment bullet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Your average "financial advisor" is a securities salesperson. Most know absolutely nothing about investing, they're just out there to sell you financial products to make a commission. If it were my money, I'd have it with a 3rd-party money manager firm like SEI or AssetMark. <------not an endorsement of either firm, just using them as examples.

And don't ever get sucked into going into your personal financial advisor's self-created managed account model. They don't know shit.

Don't ever buy a Variable Universal Life policy unless you're using it for deferred compensation because you make a shitload of money every year. And don't get talked into buying a Variable Annuity until you're about 10 years out from retirement.

bslate07 does not offer legal, tax, or securities advice. Please consult the appropriate professional regarding your individual circumstance.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, all funds have 12b-1s or some kind of management fee. You're thinking of no-load funds, where load refers to commission.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Math and reading is really hard for some people.  I recently opened a Fidelity HSA account online and transfered the money from another HSA in about 20 minutes. The OP is either dumb or just playing dumb.
View Quote
I work with people that are buying MJ stocks.  They know nothing about the company, (debt, assets, etc.) yet they are buying in what amounts to a get rich quick dream.  People that think 50k in unsecured debt plus an $800 truck payment is normal.

I thought of becoming a fee based financial planner years ago, but decided I'd have too many people like the above example and my liver wouldn't be able to take the strain.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#17]
How many people singing EJ’s praises have run the numbers with their fee schedule (AUM + ER + “other”) versus a simple 2 or 3 fund portfolio with an ER in single digits over 20-30 years?

You could have picked practically any US stock fund over the last few years and had 8%+ growth.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#18]
They sold my mom a loaded American Fund. Too expensive for what it is.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm very happy with Edward Jones.
my guy is reasonable, knowledgeable, and easy to deal with.
I'll be retiring in 4-5 years, and will have the means to enjoy it.

My father held accounts at Vanguard.
After dealing with the nightmare that was closing his accounts with them, I will NEVER do business with vanguard.
NEVER.
The Estate's attorney holds the same opinion of them after dealing with this.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes, all funds have 12b-1s or some kind of management fee. You're thinking of no-load funds, where load refers to commission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@bslate07

trumpwrong.gif

Yes all funds have management fees which do not go to the adviser.

not all funds have 12b1 which go to the adviser

go look at any American funds F2 share...a big green favorite
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#21]
OP took the money out and told Eddie J's to withhold tax.

There is no requirement to withhold tax on an IRA, even if it is an early distribution.

OP knows little to nothing about investing in the market, trusted EJ to do the work, and was disappointed in the results of his decision.

OP then says gimmie my money, and EJ says do you want tax withheld, he said sure, and they cut him a check.

OP then dropped the cash in another mutual fund (probably front end loaded) and will have the exact same thing happen to him because he learns slowly, or not at all.

Give the guy credit though, what he lacks in smarts he makes up for in bullshitting on the internet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
@bslate07

trumpwrong.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@bslate07

trumpwrong.gif

That's why I used the operative word 'or.' The point I was making is OP wasn't going to get his mutual fund management for free, even if the fund was losing money.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How many people singing EJ’s praises have run the numbers with their fee schedule (AUM + ER + “other”) versus a simple 2 or 3 fund portfolio with an ER in single digits over 20-30 years?

You could have picked practically any US stock fund over the last few years and had 8%+ growth.
View Quote
@GMZ

you are correct

and here's why

The St.Louis Scions have always favored either a balanced or weighted towards approach to value investing over growth. This is seen in their allocations.

Given that...they have trailed significantly what just buying the sp500 would have done for the equity sleeve. They also don't overweight to small or mid tactically like some firms may do. This also caused under performance.

So...as you said when considering the 1.35% they start at...it's mathematically improbably that they provided those returns.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's why I used the operative word 'or.' The point I was making is OP wasn't going to get his mutual fund management for free, even if the fund was losing money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@bslate07

trumpwrong.gif

I hear ya

his 12b1 was probably .25%
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It has been a few years since I was a Registered Representative, but my dim recollection is that if EJ transfers the money directly to the other IRA instead of writing you a check, then they shouldn't take the federal tax out.  Maybe @midcap or someone else can step in?
View Quote
And if you take possession of the funds from one IRA you have a certain amount of time to put it in another one without a tax penalty. At least you could at one time, check to see if that is correct. You may be due a refund.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#26]
We are happy with our EJ broker as well. But, we don't throw money at them and go with everything they say. We look at the funds advised and see what's in them and the fee structures behind them. Any broker can screw you if you're not doing your diligence. EJ is conservative, but you need to ask the specific broker questions to determine their experience and qualifications.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I still have not seen anyone touch on the fact of the genius behind the A share variable annuity that EJ used to push...lol

That had to have been the absolute dumbest shit in the world.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Serves you right.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We are happy with our EJ broker as well. But, we don't throw money at them and go with everything they say. We look at the funds advised and see what's in them and the fee structures behind them. Any broker can screw you if you're not doing your diligence. EJ is conservative, but you need to ask the specific broker questions to determine their experience and qualifications.
View Quote
@PKT1106

in what way?

I hear that repeated all the time, but I never ever get the answer to what it means.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@PKT1106

in what way?

I hear that repeated all the time, but I never ever get the answer to what it means.
View Quote
Risk tolerance. They do stay on the low risk end of the spectrum. Bigger, established companies, generally. Established sectors and and industries. Mutual funds with a wide diversity of holdings. They want the companies that have been around for 50+ years and have a modest divided or modest growth. "Slow and steady wins the race" might as well be their motto. We have a few things in our portfolio outside if their purview, but that's because I did my own research and told them to acquire what I wanted specifically.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I dealt with EJ in the early 2000's, and left because of their fee's.

OP, go to Vanguard.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Risk tolerance. They do stay on the low risk end of the spectrum. Bigger, established companies, generally. Established sectors and and industries. Mutual funds with a wide diversity of holdings. They want the companies that have been around for 50+ years and have a modest divided or modest growth. "Slow and steady wins the race" might as well be their motto. We have a few things in our portfolio outside if their purview, but that's because I did my own research and told them to acquire what I wanted specifically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@PKT1106

in what way?

So why is that not reflected in their portfolio's beta measurements? did you ever ask them that?

You aren't the only one to have told me that.

I was talking to a guy the other day saying the same thing as his investments burned down in Q4
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How many people singing EJ's praises have run the numbers with their fee schedule (AUM + ER + "other") versus a simple 2 or 3 fund portfolio with an ER in single digits over 20-30 years?

View Quote
Probably none of them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@PKT1106

in what way?

If you the client has a long-term growth objective and a high risk tolerance and they have you in low-risk investments, they're kinda fucking you over. I'd want my portfolio to match my risk tolerance and objectives without having to do my own research.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Did OP truncate three zeros or is he really ranting about $1100?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I shitcanned them when they incorrectly reported the cost basis of an IRA I received as part of an estate.    Got a $13,000 bill from the IRS.
The value at the time I receive it was the value at that time, not ZERO you idiots!!!
View Quote
The cost basis of an inherited IRA is the cost basis in the hands of the decedent; that is frequently zero.  Even if it wasn't zero, I'm not sure how a broker would know how it was treated on the IRA owner's tax return when the contributions were made. IRAs are an exception to the general rule of basis being stepped up to fair market value at the date of death.  A distribution on account of death of the IRA holder isn't subject to the 10% premature distribution penalty but it is subject to income tax.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You are losing more than you think. I can give you a relatively easy two step solution.

1. Spend some time reading on bogleheads.org
2. Get your money away from EJ.
View Quote
Is viix a good one to dump money in for a low maintenance investment?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ouch!
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The cost basis of an inherited IRA is the cost basis in the hands of the decedent; that is frequently zero.  Even if it wasn't zero, I'm not sure how a broker would know how it was treated on the IRA owner's tax return when the contributions were made. IRAs are an exception to the general rule of basis being stepped up to fair market value at the date of death.  A distribution on account of death of the IRA holder isn't subject to the 10% premature distribution penalty but it is subject to income tax.
View Quote
Yep. Government wants their cut.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:30:19 PM EDT
[#40]
dont use financial advisors
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
dont use financial advisors
View Quote
I don't think I would go that far, but certainly do your due diligence and avoid excessive fees.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

There is really nothing wrong with doing business with prople you know and trust...but EJ isn't a magic investment bullet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean, if they are specifically referring to the past 10 years, the SP500 had geomean growth of around 10.5% per year. But it also kind of cherry picks a bottom for the starting point.

edit/ In my experience, Ed Jones people are not advisors, they are sales people. At least they aren't Northwestern Mutual. :-)
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I mean, if they are specifically referring to the past 10 years, the SP500 had geomean growth of around 10.5% per year. But it also kind of cherry picks a bottom for the starting point.

edit/ In my experience, Ed Jones people are not advisors, they are sales people. At least they aren't Northwestern Mutual. :-)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But...they didn't load up on SP500 and gudied didn't exist 10 years ago.

I see the returns....they didn't do what the sp500 did.

The only thing that comes close on a 10 year # is their stock focus list over 10yerar.

Here's the caveat....unless you bought these stocks in a brokerage account, you didn't own that portfolio.

Now...your Advisor could have put you in all growth funds and come close.

But that's going against the models....and you still didn't make 10.5%
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wonder how many people singing EJ's praises know what their front end sales load was for each fund and the annual expense ratio. I suspect that those that understand that info are no longer happy.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
People that actually have money sweat the small stuff.  And that's why they have it
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wonder how many people singing EJ's praises know what their front end sales load was for each fund and the annual expense ratio. I suspect that those that understand that info are no longer happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Front end sales loads are going the way of the dodo
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm working with an EJ rep doing a "guided solution" and have for several years and frankly with what he's done with my money, I gave him more.

YMMV.  My guy is doing very well with my money.
View Quote
I've used EJ for about 12 years and have nothing but good things to say.

Annualized for the entire 12 years, it's been making more than half of what I make at my job.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Annualized for the entire 12 years, it's been making more than half of what I make at my job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm working with an EJ rep doing a "guided solution" and have for several years and frankly with what he's done with my money, I gave him more.

YMMV.  My guy is doing very well with my money.

That means literally nothing without a return percentage.

ETA example: You have $2,000,000 in the account and make $100,000 per year at your job. That's a shit return of 2.5% annually.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

99.9% of 'advisors' are actually sales people.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#50]
@midcap

If not the box store resource for meh mutual funds and over paying fees for a B grade adjent to glance at your account once or twice a year, where would a guy go to have someone manage the small bit of money he is putting back?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top