But the humans will give no love

You see I've been through the desert on a horse with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain
La, la
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I lived that way for the first 15 years after I got out of the army.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I have enough money to be able to do it at a moment's notice.  The only thing stopping me are a wife and kids that I love more than life itself.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#4]
There’s a subculture or van dwelling that basically do the same thing. They have thousands of YouTube  ideas of themselves.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you ever ask him why he sold his house?
View Quote
Burning the boats .........
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Maybe he figured out the American Dream is a trap?
View Quote
Yep, the more successful an individual is, the more they're punished by the Government with increased taxes. Fuck it, just enjoy life in a modest way and see America.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I did this most of my adult life. It's the thrill of adventure and risk. I was able to fit everything I owned, guns too, in my car. I'm settled down at the moment house hunting. However the thought of stuck for a bit paying a mortgage, and not being out in the wind is lingering. I'm a helicopter pilot by profession and not a dirty van living hippie
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm looking at taking a year off and just bumming around on a motorcycle.  Today that looks mighty appealing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If I didn't have kids I would probably sell my shit and say "Screw this rat race" myself.

I think about it a lot.  And the funny part is the last 10 years I have gotten myself from paycheck to paycheck to a pretty comfortable spot financially for once.
View Quote
If I wasn't married with kids - I'd probably be planning my exit by now.

I think about it a lot too. The "what could have been", not leaving my wife and kids. The rat race / commute / spending gets old.

Was actually pricing out mountain land in Montana this week with 20+ acres where I could hunt elk, deer, and bear on my own land. The acreages cost less than a new truck. Build a $50k 2-room cabin on it, and live a simple life.

My income is/has been high enough since I graduated college 10 years ago that if I had lived cheaply and stayed single, I could be retired on land in Montana by now probably, living comfortably off nothing but dividends for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#11]
When you wake up one day and that beautiful little wife of yours has let herself physically go and is now fat, no longer cares about sex, and has become a nagging passive aggressive bitch; your once adorable kids that ran into your arms and called you daddy as toddlers are now little cell phone and video game addicted jerks that hate you and make your life miserable; and your career that once held so much promise has become a mundane go-nowhere thankless job that only saddles on stress and takes more and more from you but returns less and less you realize your life has become a prison. When this is your life it's no wonder so many men daydream of just grabbing their dog, hunting rifle, and truck and disappearing to Alaska or wherever remote to start over and live a simple life.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Thought about moving back to Aus and just go walkabout.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yeah, yeah. There are a lot of people around this city that "gave it all up, and walked away". They are called Homeless Bums.
View Quote
So I was a homeless bum for about 15 years.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I think people realize over time that modern life is simply unsatisfying on the deepest levels.

I feel it everyday. The urge to live a simple life in the woods and spend my time and energy supporting me and my family directly with my own hands calls to me daily.

I have a friend who has the urge to just sell it all and buy a sailboat.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
thats my retirement plan, sell the house buy a small RV and just wonder
View Quote
About what?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#16]
As has been alluded to up-thread, Christopher McCandless isn't a great example. Those versed in the outdoors and respectful of the challenge of that way of life understood that McCandless essentially committed suicide, such was his lack of preparation. Idealism and naivete born of comfy urban upbringing can be a dangerous combination; it is the same thinking that propels a young person to dangerous corners of the world in the belief that the environment and people will yield to their inherent superiority. You have to be a little bit full of yourself to think you can pull it off just by turning up.

I have a  lot of respect to those that are skilled enough and brave enough to do it, but you need solid reasons. I've been in plenty of places myself, and if you run somewhere you'll find that you still take your problems with you; the environment won't change shit.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#17]
A friend of mine tried multiple career paths and tried to open his own business only to realize he was better off selling all his shit, buying a sailboat and moving to St Croix. He sailed out of southern California with his wife and dogs, made to Colombia, shipwrecked, and had to fly home.

Flew back down to St Croix, found a boat, and started a charter service that serves dinner to tourists and whatnot. I think he's pretty happy.

Visiting my wife's family in Europe, I think our biggest problem as Americans is our lack of vacation. All my in laws get something to the tune of 7-8 weeks after a few years at the company and a minimum of 5 to start. It allows you to really enjoy life in something more than bite sized chunks. We spend our entire 2 weeks every year going to see her family and have nothing left to explore the US, it's a bit depressing to think it would take 20+ years at a company to even see 4-5 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:46:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cajones means crates. You’re thinking of conejos.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give him credit for cajones.
Rabbits?

A man can get a good ways on rabbits, but he’ll need some fat in his diet at some point.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:47:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Yu tu Phuney
Quoted:
There was a Kung Fu master a bunch of years back who wandered from town to town.  He did it to right wrongs.  I don’t think he actually dropped out of sight though, because around the holidays he would still write Wongs.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#20]
some people can't even leave New York or California
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Chris McCandless wasn't wrong and he was just a college student. If you haven't read Into the Wild, do it now. Or at least watch the movie.
View Quote
That book was great.

Shame it ended the way it did for him.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm working on this now.

Married with a kid. Own a house where I don't want to live. Thinking about selling it and running
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#23]
If I didn't have any kids I would've done it too.  Society sucks as a whole and I would've went west and turned into a hermit living in the mountains
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Buddy growing up did it. After graduating HS he just packed a bag and headed south, and south, and south. Lived in Central America in a tent for a while, then South America. Got on a boat and headed to Australia. Started working on a crew on a boat. Now he's a skilled crewmember that people hire to charter yachts.

Came from the most structured, straight-arrow family you could imagine.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I came damn close to pulling a Jeremiah Johnson once...
View Quote
I did that very thing in MT when I was in my early twenties and loved it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Chris McCandless wasn't wrong and he was just a college student. If you haven't read Into the Wild, do it now. Or at least watch the movie.
View Quote
Well, he did die. Alone, sick, in the wilderness.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:58:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Friends of mine sold everything they owned and moved to Thailand or Indonesia, or someplace like that.  They taught English to kids while they explored the area.  After that, the went to New Zealand for a while, then to Hawaii and are now settled down in North Carolina somewhere near Nashville.  They are Hippyish type people and just wanted to wander around a bit.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 10:59:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I think it's not about running away from what is but more exploring what isn't.
"Grass is greener on the other side" Is often used incorrectly to describe ignorant decision making. Though often misguided, It's nothing more than natural human curiosity.

Whether the people that dappear to find  greener grass in detachment from modern society are enlighted or damaged is where I hit a wall. In theory, isolation or ignoring the rules of the game of existence, goes against the evolutionary molded mind. So wtf does that say about those who seem perfectly content when they do so?

I know through my own personal exploration the further I can Isolate myself from the modern world the more at peace I feel. Does that mean that's where I need to be? Or, does it mean I've failed at finding my place in the modern world and thus need to work harder at fixing that?

That I'm not miserable in my current life yet still find benefit in isolation further confounds my thinking.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Hundreds of thousands of men did that during The Depression.

My grandfather just up and left my Grandmother/Mom "looking for work" and never returned.

About a year before he passed (Grandma had already passed) he contacts my Mom, the bastard had landed in CA and was living in Manhattan Beach. He had another family by then. Fucking POS never even filed for divorce from Grandma.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A friend of mine tried multiple career paths and tried to open his own business only to realize he was better off selling all his shit, buying a sailboat and moving to St Croix. He sailed out of southern California with his wife and dogs, made to Colombia, shipwrecked, and had to fly home.

Flew back down to St Croix, found a boat, and started a charter service that serves dinner to tourists and whatnot. I think he's pretty happy.

Visiting my wife's family in Europe, I think our biggest problem as Americans is our lack of vacation. All my in laws get something to the tune of 7-8 weeks after a few years at the company and a minimum of 5 to start. It allows you to really enjoy life in something more than bite sized chunks. We spend our entire 2 weeks every year going to see her family and have nothing left to explore the US, it's a bit depressing to think it would take 20+ years at a company to even see 4-5 weeks.
View Quote
That is a great point. We Americans work ourselves to death. At every place I've ever worked upon hire you start with zero vacation time and have to accrue vacation/paid time off (PTO) per paycheck. But as soon as you bank some PTO you end up using it to take a day off because your kids is home sick from school, or you need half a day off to go to the DMV, etc. so you never really can bank enough PTO to take a vacation. And if you do bank enough PTO that vacation time is spent taking a Thursday or Friday off to go to your in-laws for a weekend.

My wife and I were just lamenting that our one "big" vacation we take every year is really just flying back to California to visit my parents. That trip alone cost us easily over $4k just in airfare, hotel, and meals for a family of four for week, not to mention I'm having to burn 5+ days of PTO for the trip. Other little weekend vacations are often spent visiting her parents.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My cousin did. Wasn’t married and no kids. He quit his steady construction job, sold his house and left with little savings. Drove to New Jersey and then followed the coast down to Florida, living in his car. A year later he had turned up in Alaska working doing logging work. Last we heard he was in Montana but no one is sure where he is now. How does someone seemingly stable choose to become a homeless wanderer, and why?
View Quote

All who wander are not lost.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I did it twice.

The first time I was in my twenties, fresh out of the Army, living in a tiny town with my wife and daughter and her family (who all hated me). I was working my ass off trying to support them and just getting nowhere. I hated everything about my life except my family. So I sold everything I could, bought an old truck, and the three of us headed off into the sunset. We spent about 9 months traveling around Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Utah. Living out of the truck and a tent I bought. We went town to town, painting signs for the businesses and metal detecting. And in truth, given as how we had no bills, I was making as much doing that as I did when I was working. It was fun and exciting and stressful and all the rest. Sadly, because we started with nothing, and because I had a kid, it wasn't sustainable forever, but it was fun while it lasted. We all always wanted to do it again.

So we did, about ten years ago. I am not going to go into what I do, but now (so far) I make plenty of money and I have my freedom. Life is good!
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Uncle did. Bought a boat and sailed away for 10 years. Toured SE Asia a bit then wound up living off the coast of New Zealand.  That was 40 years ago, he stayed in NZ and has made a pretty awesome life for himself.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

So I was a homeless bum for about 15 years.
View Quote
Piccolo, you seem like a really cool dude. Congrats man. I enjoy your posts!
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#35]
its just trading one set of problems and stresses for another in another place
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#36]
As sang by Chris LeDoux . . .

While I was out a ridin'
The grave yard shift, midnight 'til dawn
The moon was bright as a readin' light
For a letter from an old friend back home
And he asked me
Why do you ride for your money
and why do you rope for short pay
You ain't a'gettin' nowhere
And you're loosin' your share
Boy, you must have gone crazy out there
He said last night he run'd in to Jenny
She's married and has a good life
And boy you sure missed the track
When you never come back
She's the perfect professional's wife
And she asked him
Why does he ride for his money
And tell me why does he rope for short pay
He ain't a'gettin' nowhere
And he's loosin' his share
Well he must've gone crazy out there
Ah but they've never seen the Northern Lights
They ain't never seen a hawk on the wing
They've never spent spring on the Great Divide
And they've never heard ole' camp cookie sing
Well I read up the last of my letter
And tore off the stamp for black Jim
And when Billy rode up to relieve me
He just looked at my letter and grinned
He said you know I wonder
Why do they ride for their money
Tell me why do they ride for short pay
They ain't a'gettin' nowhere
And they're loosin' their share
Son, they all must be crazy out there
They ain't never seen the Northern Lights
They ain't never seen a hawk on the wing
They've never spent spring on the Great Divide
And they've never heard ole' camp cookie sing
Songwriters: Michael E Burton

Quoted:
Could do the cowboy way, pack up the horse and start riding.
Maybe I’ll go north today......maybe south tomorrow.....then east or west.......
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
its just trading one set of problems and stresses for another in another place
View Quote
No matter where you go, there you are.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#38]
I knew of this Vietnam vet who was a wanderer. He just wanted to be left alone, he would often hitch hike from town to town.

He ran into a problem with a small town sheriff that picked him and drove him to the town limits to get rid of him.

I could tell you the rest of the story but it's pretty long.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Rabbits?

A man can get a good ways on rabbits, but he’ll need some fat in his diet at some point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give him credit for cajones.
Rabbits?

Brains
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think it's not about running away from what is but more exploring what isn't.
"Grass is greener on the other side" Is often used incorrectly to describe ignorant decision making. Though often misguided, It's nothing more than natural human curiosity.

Whether the people that dappear to find  greener grass in detachment from modern society are enlighted or damaged is where I hit a wall. In theory isolation, or ignoring the rules of the game of existence, goes against the evolutionary molded mind. So wtf does that say about those who seem perfectly content when they do so?

I know through my own personal exploration the further I can Isolate myself from the modern world the more at peace I feel. Does that mean that's where I need to be? Or, does it mean I've failed at finding my place in the modern world and thus need to work harder at fixing that?

That I'm not miserable in my current life yet still find benefit in isolation further confounds my thinking.
View Quote
How long have you isolated yourself for?

No phone, no texts, etc, and most will go crazy without human interaction. Or they're sick to begin with.
Most people will get away for the weekend and think it's the bees knees, buy after a few months you'll be scratching yourself all over, while yelling and conversing with your "friends".
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I think...you might not get it...or I don't.  That cushion you seek--you're going on a vacation, and nothing else.
I sort of thought this thread was about guys not working for a cushion.  Just saying fuck it.
View Quote
Well, I had quit my job and had a one way plane ticket out West with no set return date.  Lived out of a backpack.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#42]
This is my plan when the boy gets to college.  I lucked out with a real estate deal in the crash and will sell the place for yuppie prices and gtfo to mountain west.  The real world may push me to inland maine but somewhere remote and expansive.

The “get both” logic works, i work a job that isnt brutal money is ok, traded more for chance to see my kid grow up.  Still go on scout trips and am planning out west family trips (location scouting) this year.

Glad you are living the dream.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Is his name Jack Reacher?

I have thought of this many times. If I wasn't married with kids.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Our poor people have it better than kings once did, yet everyone is still so unhappy. The human condition is an odd one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
's just another word for nothing left to lose.   - Janice Joplin
View Quote
"Me and Bobby McGee" was written by Kris Kristofferson.

Paladin
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#46]
My biological father did.  After a couple of failed marriages, he hit the road to work construction.  Drifting, drinking, staying in hotels. No permanent address.  Died just a few years older than I am now, in a cheap hotel, of pneumonia.
Never got the impression that he was happy or felt free, from the few time I spoke with him.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#47]
An acquaintance of mine said that when he was younger, he and his roommate decided to take a trip for two months any where in the world.

They put a map on the wall, closed their eyes and threw a dart which landed in the  Middle of the ocean.

Closed their eyes and threw the dart again: the U.s. Virgin Islands.

They packed a backpack, bought a one way flight and went there.  They found a room to lease out and had the time of their lives.
They ended up getting part time jobs and stayed two years.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:45:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Yeah, I've known a couple, actually.
One gal (yes a woman) who went up on a hilltop in LA, came back down, sold everything she had (successful nurse) and decided to wander the west coast. In a covered wagon. Horse drawn. Yes, really. (it had car wheels and tires on it, but still)  She'd go between Sandpoint Id. and someplace in the bay area. Basically she mooched off of people but she was interesting and educational to be around.

A guy I worked with, an East Indian dude, simply jumped a plane back to India. Abandoned his wife and three kids, never came back. Last I heard he'd wound up in Canada.

Another guy I worked with had been an attorney. Fucking hated it. The minute he finished his student loans he fucking quit and when I met him we were working the sales floor in a Sam's club in Yuba City, Ca.

I think a lot of times (not always) guys who abandon their lives, wives and families are suffering from Peter Pan Syndrome. I'm talking about the guy who goes out for a gallon of milk and never comes back, you know? I'm not talking about the young guy, no family, just going walkabout, that's a different story.
There are always two ways to deal with your problems: face them or run away. If you're unhappy with your life, there are ways to change it without running away and joining the circus.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#49]
I don’t know, I think a lot of us kind of do this in our youth.

The military provides for that nomadic lifestyle but with a safety net and of course you go where they tell you. I’m not sure if it attracts the type or makes them though.

My plan if I had stayed in until retirement would have been to buy and have paid for a decent sized sailboat by retirement time. Then live aboard the boat sailing from place to place and collecting my retirement check.

I chose to get out though, got married, had 2 boys. I’ve told my wife when it comes time for me to retire I do not intend to stay in PA and she says she will come visit but to be honest I don’t really care if she doesn’t. My job sucks and the system I work in just keeps getting worse with no end in sight. If it weren’t for my boys, student debt that got me to this career and walking away from the income I would be gone.

Probably not a month goes by I don’t think how awesome it would be to fake my own death and get away but my boys keep me here. I want to get away, live a simpler and happier life but yet here I am, trapped doing the same old shit every day waiting...

For what I’m not exactly sure.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Our poor people have it better than kings once did, yet everyone is still so unhappy. The human condition is an odd one.
View Quote
Hoopleheads never had philosophy, much less sat down to read a book. What was that Shaw said, "Few think more than twice a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week." or something like that.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top