User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 34
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:33:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By guns762:  
View Quote

guns, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if all your Muralists are women.  I feel a Title 9 complaint coming on, like you are discriminating against men pursuing the vocation of Muralist.  Perhaps you should implement some Affirmative Action to promote Equity, and educate some men in Mural painting.  It would be an excellent practical lesson in gender Equity for your students.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:34:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Raytheon Missile Defence,  Tucson AZ.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brass:

Which raytheon?  We have one nearby here that has a building at EROS Data Center and other fun stuff.  Son interened at one in Delaware for Antarctic ORCA cosmic ray research, your son works at one... they're everywhere.  

Raytheon Missile Defence,  Tucson AZ.

The kid I bought my Oscilloscope and some other bench test equipment from works at Raytheon on missile projects.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#3]
1st day went well.  It was fun to see so many of my crew back and excited to be there.  Pretty awesome way to start the year.  I had one Senior tell me we needed last year's Seniors to make this year's project a success, and I told her, they said the same thing about the Seniors that preceded them.  I told her, "You are now it! and need to step up and be THE SENIORS".

We should see some progress tomorrow.
View Quote

You are a good teacher!  That's part of the reason the kids are excited to be back.  

Wife and I had a good time visiting with you and your son.  She still talks about it and wanting to see the rest of the projects.

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Day three of classes update 8/27/21

Students are going full afterburner on this.   It's pretty crazy right now.  
https://i.imgur.com/pzSBGBq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9LZJfrX.jpg

Students are scrambling to get schedule changes and find more hours to be down in the Art room.   I've had to shut down 7th hour.  Thirty students, and 18 desks in the 2D room.  Limit is supposed to be 22.

Today is the last day for changes, so hopefully I'll know where everyone is supposed to be on a permanent basis.

We've got the hanger laid out and should have some framing up today.  This is a half day, as are all Fridays, so students are only here for 25 min per class.  We've got to work fast.
My Muralists are doing well to get base coats of green down.
https://i.imgur.com/eKyOxha.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/X5o492e.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5Xz6xUt.jpg

View Quote

That girls split color hoodie screwed with me for a second.  Had to check to make sure I wasn't drinking from last nights tumbler.

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AZNetEng:
Damn it's dusty in here.

ETA: I see I'm not the only one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AZNetEng:
Update 8/19

Our first donation of the year is a special one, and makes the beginning of this project all that more special.  

Sharon, thank you so much for the gift card, but especially Edward's files.  Both will be utilized to make this year's project a success.

https://i.imgur.com/lrmFLRI.jpg
Damn it's dusty in here.

ETA: I see I'm not the only one.

Dusty here in Billings all of a sudden.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow!

That video and your vision is stunning!

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]

I just happened to catch it that way.  There are three gentlemen that area also working on the murals.    Those classes are just really crazy busy, and I don't get many pictures taken during that time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By guns762:  https://i.imgur.com/5Xz6xUt.jpg

guns, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as if all your Muralists are women.  I feel a Title 9 complaint coming on, like you are discriminating against men pursuing the vocation of Muralist.  Perhaps you should implement some Affirmative Action to promote Equity, and educate some men in Mural painting.  It would be an excellent practical lesson in gender Equity for your students.  

I just happened to catch it that way.  There are three gentlemen that area also working on the murals.    Those classes are just really crazy busy, and I don't get many pictures taken during that time.

So no force matching freshmen into painting murals for gender equity?  
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 7:24:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#9]
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By guns762:  Update 8/30/21

We are continuing the rapid work schedule on our three main fronts, airframe, murals, and hangar.  

Proffered of male participation in the mural work.
https://i.imgur.com/O51zChr.jpg
View Quote

MOAR gender discrimination!  The males are allowed to paint higher than the WOMYN!  GENDER EQUITY FOREVER!  
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#15]

I saw this posted on another site, without any other info.  For some reason, your class was my first thought.....

Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Guns thank you very much for the tour! My family was very impressed. Pictures just don’t do it justice.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 12:04:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#18]
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:46:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#22]
How fast can you identify who the leaders/sprinters that may fade, vs  long term steady, marathon, there through thick and thin students?   How early do you put together functional teams?

Enjoying the work, progress reports as always.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Leaders stand out pretty quick.    They show up at 7am, lunch, after school, and every class they can get out of.   Already have a couple of those.  

I'll have some tire of the project, but that's how I have it set up.  They can work for 3 weeks at a time, then change to something else.  I don't want people working on it that don't want to be there.  Some take a break and come back to it.  Some wait to work on things they enjoy.   "Functional" teams happens day one.   I have them split up into groups that want to work on different parts of the project.    From there, we work.  The groups may change up in 3 weeks.   I evaluate how the work goes in the different groups, and see who takes a leadership role; who needs to contribute more.  From there, I might find specialty items for different student performance levels.  Those with excellent attention to detail, I find more difficult problems for them to solve.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cargo:
How fast can you identify who the leaders/sprinters that may fade, vs  long term steady, marathon, there through thick and thin students?   How early do you put together functional teams?

Enjoying the work, progress reports as always.

Leaders stand out pretty quick.    They show up at 7am, lunch, after school, and every class they can get out of.   Already have a couple of those.  

I'll have some tire of the project, but that's how I have it set up.  They can work for 3 weeks at a time, then change to something else.  I don't want people working on it that don't want to be there.  Some take a break and come back to it.  Some wait to work on things they enjoy.   "Functional" teams happens day one.   I have them split up into groups that want to work on different parts of the project.    From there, we work.  The groups may change up in 3 weeks.   I evaluate how the work goes in the different groups, and see who takes a leadership role; who needs to contribute more.  From there, I might find specialty items for different student performance levels.  Those with excellent attention to detail, I find more difficult problems for them to solve.

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By guns762:  Update 8/31/21

The hangar was doing so well......then we went to put it up against the display corner for fit, and for the muralists to get an idea of what needed to happen around it.   The walls are not square.....on the school.  I knew this.
View Quote

Heh.  My parents have lived for many years in a curved building.  They have one 90 degree corner in the whole space.  Most of the corners look 90 degrees, but they're off significantly when you measure em.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#27]
An idea in case, you know, you guys get bored.

What if there were two planes flying in formation?  They don't both need to be F-22s.  The other plane could be protruding from the wall.  Half plane.  Half mural.

Guessing it would depend on how the full plane will be positioned relative to the wall and what your other plans are.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I would have loved HS if I had your class gonnes762.  As such, I hated it and couldn't wait to bail.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:54:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By raffi383:
An idea in case, you know, you guys get bored.

What if there were two planes flying in formation?  They don't both need to be F-22s.  The other plane could be protruding from the wall.  Half plane.  Half mural.
View Quote

Wasn't there talk some years ago about parts of a full size bomber? Each part sticking out of a wall or ceiling where it would be if it was a real plane?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#31]
The hanger.

Now we know where to put Snoopy's doghouse.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:42:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: guns762] [#36]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Update 9/1

Test fit #1 for "squareness" with the wall.  That's a nope.
https://i.imgur.com/xgMZAcN.jpg

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:51:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: redoubt] [#40]
For your small shelf, you could have a SAM or AAA mobile gun like an SA-2 or ZSU 23-4.

SA-2
Attachment Attached File

ZSU
Attachment Attached File

and an AGM-88 HARM inbound to smash it.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: Technically the missile would be attacking the radar van for the SAM site, but that wouldn't be very dramatic.

Attachment Attached File

"Iron Hand. It's kinda my thing, ya know."
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#41]

She had me rolling when she made me go back and look at the photos.   I had another where she was actually helping, but this one was way more funny.
View Quote

Yep, I chuckled immediately when I saw that. Made me think of that meme right away.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#42]

She had me rolling when she made me go back and look at the photos.   I had another where she was actually helping, but this one was way more funny.
View Quote

Vertically challenged people represent!

Something something box something something kneecaps.

(My juvenile sense of humor wonders how many people got poked in the ribs during those test fittings.)
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Just to make your day.....

There was a James Bond movie that starred Roger Moore.
I forget which one
Pre-Credit sequence had him fly a Tiny aircraft once or twice though a hanger.
Last time through he dropped a bomb and the whole thing went kablam.

Dare ya to find that aircraft and put in on one of the small displays.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:

I forget which one

View Quote

https://www.jimbede.com/bd--5bd--5j.html

Might be a decent way to do a trial run on canopy molding techniques.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:

I forget which one

View Quote

Ocotopussy. Craft was a BD-5J.(?) WWiki for Bede Aircraft

Link Posted: 9/1/2021 1:42:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WTAW] [#46]
If you haven’t already, reach out to Maj. Gunderson (f22 demo team pilot) and the F22 Demo team on Instagram.  They do both virtual and in person discussions and demos for students.  In person is usually only for base schools, but who knows if you’re on the route back from an air show The look on a kids face when they see a plane defy physics and any idea of what is “possible” is unreal.  The in person demo is truly out of this world.

@cabogunderson and @f22demoteam on Instagram.  Both will respond.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By WTAW:
If you haven’t already, reach out to Maj. Gunderson (f22 demo team pilot) and the F22 Demo team on Instagram.  They do both virtual and in person discussions and demos for students.  In person is usually only for base schools, but who knows if you’re on the route back from an air show The look on a kids face when they see a plane defy physics and any idea of what is “possible” is unreal.  The in person demo is truly out of this world.

@cabogunderson and @f22demoteam on Instagram.  Both will respond.
View Quote

I've seen what the F22 can do.  That'd be really cool to talk to those pilots.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By guns762:  That art teacher guy and his wife.
https://i.imgur.com/a1UlFIs.jpg
View Quote

Ha!  We knew she was blind!  Get that woman a seeing-eye cat!

You and I are way out of our league, man.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#50]

Amazing generosity there!
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top