Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wonder if grandchildren are eligible for USAA? I believe my grandpa(korean war vet) was a member. No idea if my mom is or has been a member.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’d be most concerned that some foreigner was walking around my house taking pictures. I would have tossed that illegal off my property and have State Farm send someone else. Thank God i have USAA and don’t have to deal with fly by night insurance companies.

Wonder if grandchildren are eligible for USAA? I believe my grandpa(korean war vet) was a member. No idea if my mom is or has been a member.

I hope not. Sorry,  but one of the appeals of USAA is that it has a limited membership. Back when I first got them (1989) it was Officers only.  That really was peak USAA.

Regardless, call them and ask.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have State Farm but...

There are 60 houses in the development where I live.  The 2019 Memorial Day tornado.  Passed south of us by less than a 1/2 mile.  Most of the houses in the neighborhood including mine needed a new roof from hail damage.  All the houses that needed roofs that were insured by companies other than State Farm got new roofs.  All the houses that needed roofs that were insured by State Farm had their replacement roofs denied and appealing that decision did not work.  

We had our master bath remodeled about 18 months ago.  The contractor was well recommended and the references I called said they did good work.  Well.  Some of the work was good like installing the vanity and flooring.  They fucked up the oversized tile shower and the freestanding tub so bad and two attempts to bandaid those failed.  Most of the flooring was ruined by water getting under the floor.  I hired another contractor and the shower needed ripped out back to the studs.  The shower plumbing was convoluted and probably going to leak due to the quality of the joint work.  When they moved the unsecured free-standing tub to get to the flooring the drain looked questionable so they re-jackhammered up the floor and found the drain was sloped back toward the tub instead of toward the drain.  We are on a slab.  They also found that under the slab under the shower and tub, there were sweat joints.  No bueno and not to code.  Soft copper or PEX and no joints under the floor are the acceptable methods.  The blocking for the grab rails was only fastened on one end.  The grab rails only had one screw (screws hidden under trim) on each end instead of three.  The blocking on one end of the shower door was held in place only by being screwed to the cement board.  The waterproofing under the tile was botched and that was the source of the leak.  The grout in the walls and floor tile started cracking/falling out.  And on and on.  Their insurance is with State Farm.  I filed a claim going on nine months ago.  I keep in touch with the adjuster who tells me the contractor won't respond to letters, texts, and voicemails.  All I'm asking at this point is IS DEFECTIVE WORKMANSHIP COVERED UNDER HIS POLICY.  The rework just for the defects by the new contractor came to around $18,000.00. The adjuster says she has to talk to the contractor before she can answer that question.  Bullshit.  It is either covered or not covered.  If covered I'll build my case with her and she can get the contractor's side.  If not covered I suppose I could sue the contractor, win, and then how do I collect?  I paid both contractors from savings so at least I don't have any loan or financing issues.  That $18k would almost pay for 3 annual two-week vacations to the higher end all inclusive where we vacation.  We aren't going to miss any of those vacations and still have a very respectable emergency fund but still - I want my fucking money.  

Fuck State Farm.  And that contractor.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't have State Farm but...

There are 60 houses in the development where I live.  The 2019 Memorial Day tornado.  Passed south of us by less than a 1/2 mile.  Most of the houses in the neighborhood including mine needed a new roof from hail damage.  All the houses that needed roofs that were insured by companies other than State Farm got new roofs.  All the houses that needed roofs that were insured by State Farm had their replacement roofs denied and appealing that decision did not work.  

We had our master bath remodeled about 18 months ago.  The contractor was well recommended and the references I called said they did good work.  Well.  Some of the work was good like installing the vanity and flooring.  They fucked up the oversized tile shower and the freestanding tub so bad and two attempts to bandaid those failed.  Most of the flooring was ruined by water getting under the floor.  I hired another contractor and the shower needed ripped out back to the studs.  The shower plumbing was convoluted and probably going to leak due to the quality of the joint work.  When they moved the unsecured free-standing tub to get to the flooring the drain looked questionable so they re-jackhammered up the floor and found the drain was sloped back toward the tub instead of toward the drain.  We are on a slab.  They also found that under the slab under the shower and tub, there were sweat joints.  No bueno and not to code.  Soft copper or PEX and no joints under the floor are the acceptable methods.  The blocking for the grab rails was only fastened on one end.  The grab rails only had one screw (screws hidden under trim) on each end instead of three.  The blocking on one end of the shower door was held in place only by being screwed to the cement board.  The waterproofing under the tile was botched and that was the source of the leak.  The grout in the walls and floor tile started cracking/falling out.  And on and on.  Their insurance is with State Farm.  I filed a claim going on nine months ago.  I keep in touch with the adjuster who tells me the contractor won't respond to letters, texts, and voicemails.  All I'm asking at this point is IS DEFECTIVE WORKMANSHIP COVERED UNDER HIS POLICY.  The rework just for the defects by the new contractor came to around $18,000.00. The adjuster says she has to talk to the contractor before she can answer that question.  Bullshit.  It is either covered or not covered.  If covered I'll build my case with her and she can get the contractor's side.  If not covered I suppose I could sue the contractor, win, and then how do I collect?  I paid both contractors from savings so at least I don't have any loan or financing issues.  That $18k would almost pay for 3 annual two-week vacations to the higher end all inclusive where we vacation.  We aren't going to miss any of those vacations and still have a very respectable emergency fund but still - I want my fucking money.  

Fuck State Farm.  And that contractor.
View Quote

I agree. Fuck state farm and fuuuuuck shoddy contractors. Im a contractor and these hacks really piss me off.

Edit: and fuck my agent for still not calling me back hours later. I cant get anywhere with her assistants.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Another vote for Erie.  Had them for years, no claims, but also no random inspections or bullshit.
View Quote
Erie dropped our homeowners insurance last June.   Too many claims.  3 in over 30 years and no claims for auto in over 30 years.  The claim that got us canceled was when we contacted the agent about some water damage and we just wanted to know if any part of the fix would be covered.  The moron agent filed a claim without telling or asking us.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Our roof was replaced in 2008. They are lifetime shingles.
View Quote

The "lifetime" of shingles is 15-30 years.  You're into replacement range.

Lifetime doesn't mean your lifetime.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The "lifetime" of shingles is 15-30 years.  You're into replacement range.

Lifetime doesn't mean your lifetime.

View Quote

Pretty sure I addressed that earlier.
Edit: And why would I replace a roof in excellent condition? Should I replace the engine in one of our cars because its out of the warranty period but otherwise sound? And according to owens corning my roof is in the pro rated replacement cost for shingles if they are defective under warranty.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I have hated State Farm for over 20 years, and Allstate is right behind them.  Allstate denied a hail damage claim when I know for a fact a couple of other people in the area with other insurers got new roofs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
State Farm dropped my auto insurance 20 years ago.  I asked my agent why and she said they can randomly do that with no explanation.  I had no accidents, tickets or claims in the 15-16 years I was with them.  I'll never consider them for any insurance in the future.  FSF
View Quote

You had screwed up laws back then. Laws were changed and more companies have been writing policies there
for a number of years. Blame your government
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have hated State Farm for over 20 years, and Allstate is right behind them.  Allstate denied a hail damage claim when I know for a fact a couple of other people in the area with other insurers got new roofs.
View Quote

Freaking weird. Its almost as if their policy is “cancel all the policy holders that dont make claims and are in good standing. And lets sign up some new low lifes and illegals to boost our policy holder numbers”.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Mine sent me a letter to correct my " un-fenced " swimming pool.

It was a cheap Walmart blow up pool.

Florida law requires IN GROUND pools to have a locked enclosure around them, but not above ground, since you can't fall up into the pool.

Summer was over, so I just drained it and tossed it, but the idiot that sent that one in
View Quote
No but Idiots that have no business, rights or permission being in that pool can climb in and get injured or drown.

We lived in St. Louis and had a above ground pool, one time we went outta town for the weekend and when we came back we found the pool cover ripped and the ladder was down.  
Some kids from the neighborhood decided to go pool hopping. No real damage though.

A neighbor a few streets away came home after a weekend and found a dead kid floating in their pool...

These are reasons why our neighborhood passed ordinances that yards with pools must be fenced.

I feel like this is another d!ck in the law abiding citizens rear ...
They always make laws for the Law abiders, but the criminals do what they want...

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#11]
DEI Jake from state farm .
Old Jake from state farm .
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It is pretty standard around here to require roofs to be replaced after 15 years.  "Lifetime" does not mean shit to the insurer.
What is lifetime: The shingles?  The nails holding the shingles down?  The decking underneath the shingles?  The caulk around and openings?

If the roof comes off in a storm or you have water intrusion, it is SF that is on the hook to fix it.
View Quote

“Lifetime shingles” are a misleading description. The manufacturers only provide the full lifetime warranty on approved roof systems, not the shingles by themselves. There are standards for every component from the specific nails to the flashing metal required to qualify for the Lifetime Warranty, otherwise it falls back to a limited term prorated warranty. They require additional construction standards to ensure the roofs really do last as long as they claim they will. Caulk is excluded from most warranties because it is a maintenance item; you should be replacing any exposed caulk at least every 8-10 years.

I’m in the roofing business and I’m curious to see how the lifetime warranty roof systems will play out with insurance companies. The new systems really can perform for 40 plus years if they’re installed correctly but I would bet the insurance companies are going to throw a fit about it. Lifetime shingle systems haven’t been around long enough yet for anyone to get age-related insurance cancellations yet so we’re just going to have to wait and find out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Add me to that list. Have Allstate, and just about every roof in my area has been replaced in the last 1.5 years, but somehow mine was good when inspected. I’ll shop around this year since I’ve got 4 different policies with them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#14]
State Farm, Nationwide and Mutual of Omaha all tried to fuck me. Fuck them all with a rusty chainsaw.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Allstate sent out their guy to do a random inspection right when I was replacing the handrails on my front porch. I had removed the old rails over the weekend so the wrought iron guy could install them the upcoming week and the inspector came by before the installer. I got a cancellation letter about it so I called them and explained the situation, the new rails were up before I got the letter. They said they don't insure homes under renovation but after I spoke to my agent she smoothed it over. Every damn house that is properly maintained is basically under renovation to a degree, stupid policy or at least a stupid answer.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Question:
Anyone just said to hell with insurance after the house is paid for ?
I live in the country and no flooding, tornadoes etc have ever done any damage in my area in the 30yrs I've lived here.
A fire would be about the only thing that would be worth paying insurance for.

Just thinking out loud.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

December 2024 is when all the imaginary problems need addressed. How does one fix something that doesnt exist?
View Quote
Call a home reno company w/ a claims adjuster and have them come quote you for the work SF says you need.  Ask for a report from the adjuster.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Call a home reno company w/ a claims adjuster and have them come quote you for the work SF says you need.  Ask for a report from the adjuster.

View Quote

I called a very reputable roofing company about this. They do high end work like our house is. Turns out he is good friends with our old home owners. Said he drank beer on my back porch all the time.

Him and another guy are going to come by after this nasty rain clears up and get on my roof to inspect it. He told me if a roof needs replaced, and the manufacturer has discontinued the line of shingles, than it is on the insurance provider to replace the whole roof. I told him I dont even have a claim and they are telling me to replace it or get dropped. He said thats on them but he will inspect the whole thing anyway and give me a replacement cost for peace of mind.

He is also going to call my old home owners and see if the shingles installed are indeed what Satan Farm are claiming they are and not another similar brand.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

“Lifetime shingles” are a misleading description. The manufacturers only provide the full lifetime warranty on approved roof systems, not the shingles by themselves. There are standards for every component from the specific nails to the flashing metal required to qualify for the Lifetime Warranty, otherwise it falls back to a limited term prorated warranty. They require additional construction standards to ensure the roofs really do last as long as they claim they will. Caulk is excluded from most warranties because it is a maintenance item; you should be replacing any exposed caulk at least every 8-10 years.

I’m in the roofing business and I’m curious to see how the lifetime warranty roof systems will play out with insurance companies. The new systems really can perform for 40 plus years if they’re installed correctly but I would bet the insurance companies are going to throw a fit about it. Lifetime shingle systems haven’t been around long enough yet for anyone to get age-related insurance cancellations yet so we’re just going to have to wait and find out.
View Quote

Yeah I gathered that but its still good info. Old owner of my house worked for roofing companies his whole career. Retired from it not long before selling. Judging by the other work they did on our home I doubt he cut any corners on the roof. Cant wait to hear what he has to say after the roofing guy I called reaches out to him for info.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about cancelling my Home owners Ins. I have a VERY nice place and I'm sick to death ( fifty years worth) of paying for Country Club memberships and trips to Europe for my INS agent. He can fuck right off. I WILL TAKE the risk. I can afford it. Many can NOT afford it. $1Mil plus risk. It just isn't worth it anymore for us to spend the money. After 15 yers we're in to the INS company for well over $100K. Being 70 years old allows me the chance to say "fuck it" I'll take the risk like I did for the last 60 years by buying insurance. I'm well funded and was in the housing industry for thirty years. I change all the filters, call the plumbers, call the HVAC guys and hump the firewood. Risking the value of our home will not significantly reduce the value of our estate. I can replace almost anything that goes south on me. Not as quick as in the past but truly well completed tasks. It seems to me that I'm at a LOW risk for fire . Some risk for tornado and hurricane. Hail can be an issue. We're $50 K in the hole on ins. Payments on "claims"  have routinely under paid or not paid at all. It really is frustrating.

Advice? I grew up in a ditch and live in a dream home.
View Quote

While I do understand your feelings, it's still a very small price to pay for what they are supposed to cover. A typical million dollar house will also have roughly 600k worth of contents and you'll get compensated to live in a like kind, fully furnished house for a year if you couldn't live in your home due to damage. Plus another 10% of the coverage of the house for other structures, separate garages, fences, etc.

TX and FL are two of the worst states to live in for insurance, especially if you're in hurricane zones. You'd benefit most to just freaking move.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#21]
We've had State Farm for 15+ years, and my parents have had SF as long as I'm aware.  My agent is a friend, and always available whenever I have questions.  I switched to him from my old agent who was being very pushy trying to sell me whole life insurance when I went in one day to add some jewelry to our policy.  Pissed me off royally.

We've only filed one claim in the past when my wife wrecked her old car.  They worked with my mechanic to get it totaled and paid us way more than I would have been able to sell the car for.  Our rates didn't go up either.  It was actually a pretty good and easy experience.  

Our auto rates did just go up a bit, apparently due to across the board increases.  I do dread ever filing a claim on our roof.  It's about 22 years old, but every roofer that's been on it over the years has said it's in overall great shape for its age, and I've kept up with maintenance on it.  Hopefully we won't get threatened to be dropped due to its age.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Snake Farm.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I hope not. Sorry,  but one of the appeals of USAA is that it has a limited membership. Back when I first got them (1989) it was Officers only.  That really was peak USAA.

View Quote

And residents of South Carolina.  Ask me how I know.  
We use to be an “all-comers” state. It sucked when our legislature rewrote the insurance laws here and I got dropped.

I checked into it a few years back.  To get it again, my dad would have to have an active policy then I could get it.  I asked about my son since he’s Army. Nope.  Doesn’t “step up”.  But my son hates the USAA banking. He had nothing but bad service from them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#24]
State Farm doing what they do.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
State Farm doing what they do.
View Quote

Indeed. I always dreaded the day I would have a claim with them. Never thought they would target me for some bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Thank you, OP! You've made up my mind. Been more than a little PO'd at these pricks but now I'm done with them.
They raised my HOI by 50% no explanation.
They've raised my auto insurance every month for the last 6 months and now it's more than double; I almost never drive - less than 2000 miles a year and obviously my disabled wife doesn't drive; no tickets, no accidents, no claims.
I tried to move my account up to North FL when we moved but they were to G-damn busy to make that happen. It's been 3 f-ing years!
They won't even be bothered to write up a FEMA National Flood Insurance Policy for me. "That's not something we do."

FSF with a barbed wire wrapped #36 splintered wooden bat ... I'm done with these lying, cheating, stealing, lazy azz good for nothing pricks. I'll find some other place to get azz raped that will at least buy me dinner first.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Allstate sent out their guy to do a random inspection right when I was replacing the handrails on my front porch. I had removed the old rails over the weekend so the wrought iron guy could install them the upcoming week and the inspector came by before the installer. I got a cancellation letter about it so I called them and explained the situation, the new rails were up before I got the letter. They said they don't insure homes under renovation but after I spoke to my agent she smoothed it over. Every damn house that is properly maintained is basically under renovation to a degree, stupid policy or at least a stupid answer.
View Quote

We switched companies recently because of a crappy agent.  Similar situation of "not being able to get on the property" when the reality was the picture taker was a pushy asshole, and was quickly informed to only deal with me, not my wife.  She never tried to talk to me, just lied and went about her day.  The insurance agent was useless on following up to the point the underlying company was telling us we'd be dropped, rather than say they never got the photos, and ask why.

Hopefully new agent will be better.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thank you, OP! You've made up my mind. Been more than a little PO'd at these pricks but now I'm done with them.
They raised my HOI by 50% no explanation.
They've raised my auto insurance every month for the last 6 months and now it's more than double; I almost never drive - less than 2000 miles a year and obviously my disabled wife doesn't drive; no tickets, no accidents, no claims.
I tried to move my account up to North FL when we moved but they were to G-damn busy to make that happen. It's been 3 f-ing years!
They won't even be bothered to write up a FEMA National Flood Insurance Policy for me. "That's not something we do."

FSF with a barbed wire wrapped #36 splintered wooden bat ... I'm done with these lying, cheating, stealing, lazy azz good for nothing pricks. I'll find some other place to get azz raped that will at least buy me dinner first.

View Quote

I applaud your anger and hatred for this shitty company. Good luck on finding another insurance carrier.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#29]
lmao thaty's what you get for fucking with Snake Farm.

All of the big names are fucking shit
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#30]
No real updates yet. I did talk to my agent at the end of the day yesterday and she said “she has never heard of my situation happening”. She told me she hopes to know more by Thursday.

The roofing company that I called seems to really be going out of there way to help get answers. The guy I have been talking to is going to work on trying to match up my shingles with a different brand(which my agent said may be helpful for my cause). He also requested a copy of the letter from Satan Suck Ass Butt Farm which Im not sure what he going to do with yet.

Roofing guy happens to be good friends with the people who we bought the house from. Hes working to get more details on the roof.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#31]
So I looked through all of our records when we bought the house and couldnt find anything about the roof. Called my realtor just now to ask him if he remembered the year it was replaced. Well he looked up the Residential Property Disclosure Form and the old owners state the roof was a complete tear off and replaced in 2012. So I remembered wrong. Our roof is only 11 years old give or take some months.

Ill be sending this to State Asshole Butt Fuck Bitch Farm in the morning. Why would anyone replace an 11 year old roof in an AO thats not know for massive potential damage like coastal locations?
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#32]
So I went and grabbed one of my extra shingles from the basement to check it over. I was told by a roofing company that the manufacturer puts their logo or name on the clear plastic strip on the back(never knew that lol.

Well not only are my shingles not Devonshires. They are not even made by Owens Corning. So I kept digging and there is a new unopened bundle in storage too. It said the manufacturer and the style along with color. My wife had told me she removed the shingles from the packaging because it was ratty and torn up. Well this one was intact.

So now my question to State Farm is how the determined what shingles we had without even getting on the roof? Im gonna hold this info to myself until I see how State Farm handles this bullshit they have put on me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No real updates yet. I did talk to my agent at the end of the day yesterday and she said “she has never heard of my situation happening”. She told me she hopes to know more by Thursday.

The roofing company that I called seems to really be going out of there way to help get answers. The guy I have been talking to is going to work on trying to match up my shingles with a different brand(which my agent said may be helpful for my cause). He also requested a copy of the letter from Satan Suck Ass Butt Farm which Im not sure what he going to do with yet.

Roofing guy happens to be good friends with the people who we bought the house from. Hes working to get more details on the roof.
View Quote

Have you hired a Public Adjuster yet?
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Have you hired a Public Adjuster yet?
View Quote

No. Read my post right above yours for a little more information on this shit show.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, be pro-active and get another insurer.  Agent seems worthless. Maybe they could help but it seems they try and stay out of it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yeah, be pro-active and get another insurer.  Agent seems worthless. Maybe they could help but it seems they try and stay out of it.
View Quote

I already have all my policies priced out with another insurer. Just got the info back and we are going to go with the new insurance company. I want to wait for all this to resolve and get an apology from satan farm, then im going to cancel all my policies right after the apology.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:32:27 AM EDT
[#37]
I wish I could compete my homeowners insurance.

Only State Farm was responsive. The big five either tripled State Farms offer or just outright refused.

Before I found State Farm Progressive offered me a contract. I was in escrow thinking Wells Fargo (fuck be upon them) could write a mortgage. Progressive's offer was too much but I needed something to cover me for the purchase and then six-months later I would shop something cheaper. I accepted the high offer and they came back with a counter offer at close to double the cost. I said fine who do I send the check to? Finally they pulled their offer completely.

State Farm was the only responsive bidder so they got the deal.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you know a company by their commercials, they're a shitty insurance company
View Quote

Are any of the national companies not doing commercials?
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I wish I could compete my homeowners insurance.

Only State Farm was responsive. The big five either tripled State Farms offer or just outright refused.

Before I found State Farm Progressive offered me a contract. I was in escrow thinking Wells Fargo (fuck be upon them) could write a mortgage. Progressive's offer was too much but I needed something to cover me for the purchase and then six-months later I would shop something cheaper. I accepted the high offer and they came back with a counter offer at close to double the cost. I said fine who do I send the check to? Finally they pulled their offer completely.

State Farm was the only responsive bidder so they got the deal.
View Quote

I went through a broker. The new company is not one of the big five. I will have substantially better coverage and will save about $400/year total on all the policies(excluding the term life as I didnt get to look that over in depth).
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I deal with them on the roofing side as a contractor. They have clamped down to a level Ive never seen before. To the point that Im not wasting my time anymore with them if one of these customers calls with a claim and doesnt have the full amount in their hand. They lie, set a standard then change it and deny, deny, deny. So far USAA is the only one I deal with in the last year that wasnt insane.
View Quote
I can promise you, USAA has also gone insane. I finally got my claim settled and my roof replaced 2 weeks ago from a hail storm back in May 2023.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So I looked through all of our records when we bought the house and couldnt find anything about the roof. Called my realtor just now to ask him if he remembered the year it was replaced. Well he looked up the Residential Property Disclosure Form and the old owners state the roof was a complete tear off and replaced in 2012. So I remembered wrong. Our roof is only 11 years old give or take some months.

Ill be sending this to State Asshole Butt Fuck Bitch Farm in the morning. Why would anyone replace an 11 year old roof in an AO thats not know for massive potential damage like coastal locations?
View Quote

Is there not permits pulled in your AO for roofing, especially a complete tear off? Can get exact dates from those and possibly more info...
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So your pipes froze, we'll cover the plumbing repair, but not the lack of insulation. Sooo, it'll happen again?
View Quote

Why is it the insurance company's problem you have a shoddily insulated house.

Pipe damage-sure.  Insulation is on you buddy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#43]
You should see how they treat hurricane victims. Yes, I'm talking about State Farm in particular.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I can promise you, USAA has also gone insane. I finally got my claim settled and my roof replaced 2 weeks ago from a hail storm back in May 2023.
View Quote
I just dropped USAA at the beginning of the month, my HOI insurance went up 100% this year. I've never filed a claim with them. Their excuse was everyone's rates in the area were going up, funny, a couple of people we know with USAA didn't get a rate increase that high. Our bundled car insurance was also getting to be on the high side of ridiculous, once again never had a claim or tickets.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Is there not permits pulled in your AO for roofing, especially a complete tear off? Can get exact dates from those and possibly more info...
View Quote

Im not sure as I have never replaced a roof. I can look i to it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’d be most concerned that some foreigner was walking around my house taking pictures. I would have tossed that illegal off my property and have State Farm send someone else. Thank God i have USAA and don’t have to deal with fly by night insurance companies.

I wouldn’t bother. USAA charges higher rates and denies “good driver” discounts if you were enlisted. There’s really no way to justify that. They were sued by the state of California and there’s a Class Action lawsuit working its way through the courts as we speak. USAA is defending their discriminatory practices. I wouldn’t give them a dime.

FUSAA.

ETA:  Full disclosure - I applied for homeowners insurance with USAA about 10 years ago and was denied because I have perfect credit. Not kidding. My credit rating was too high. That was the end of my relationship with USAA.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Send a letter to your state insurance commissioner.
View Quote
This. And/or your AG. A lot of states have laws regarding ins cos acting/negotiating in "bad faith".

Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#48]
State Farm has sucked for decades.

They dropped my parents because my adult sister that didn't live with them filed a claim.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:20:13 AM EDT
[#49]
So check this out folks. I may have a possible solution so this roof bullshit.

My moms got a letter in the mail a few months ago from her insurance company saying that because her roof was 15 years old it needed to be replaced. She told me about it and I was like WTF is that shit. I looked it up and spoke to the insurance agent and he let it slip that even though the letter they sent states the roof needed to be replaced or they would drop her, that there was a second unwritten option available, which was to have her roof professionally inspected every 5 years. So this exactly what I helped her do. We found a roof inspector whom used a drone to go fly around the roof looking for damage. He then looked around the attic briefly. Gave her the all clear and wrote up a letter to the insurance company stating the roof was in great shape and should last at least another 5 years. All for about $150.
I asked the insurance rep what happens in 5 years, and he begrudgingly said she could get her roof inspected again!

These cock suckers said nothing about allowing roof inspections in the initial letter. It only stated the roof must be replaced or she would get dropped.  Fuck those assholes. Lying by omission is still lying. Most people who get that kind of letter probably don't question it and just get their roofs replaced, not knowing there is another option available. At least in Florida.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 1981 I sued the women who has USAA and ran the light and hit my car.  I tried to file a claim and USAA would never show up until I sued her and won. Then USAA found free time to pay for my damages . Seems like USAA could do better for the customer. I only wanted my car fixed.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top