Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Disappointed in the trades guys in this thread. Not enough focus on fucking the wife to make things right. Let's get back to the basics, please.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is how I roll. It's wiser, easier and more rewarding to simply be decent to people.
View Quote

Yup. And the less I want to or can do the work, the nicer I am. Spend all weekend weeding and mulching, or pay the neighborhood kids to do it and go fishing? I'm a Saint to them. Sandwiches for lunch, cold water all day.  And next time they are back bidding below the market rate,  I'm happy, they are happy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Elitist fucks always look down on “the help”
You probably made the best choice firing him as a customer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#4]
send him a bill for the house call and send it to collections when he doesnt pay
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is definitely something in the air.  I work  in the aftermarket auto business.  We cater to drag racing mostly.  Anyhow, people have just lost their shit lately.  I actually just got up and left early yesterday after being berated by someone who isn't a customer who was asking me pretty specific questions and then arguing with me when I tried explaining that he was wrong in his assumptions.  Then it became I don't know what I am talking about.  Yeah, only been doing this since I was a teenager, and at this level for nearly 15 years.  No clue pal.  He was the 3rd asshole of the day and the last.  I just said that is it, I'm done for the day, see ya in the morning.

Yesterday same deal, guy does not have one part that we manufacture on his car.  He is telling me what's going on and what is wrong.  I tell him, sir that is impossible if what you are telling me is correct.  After going back and forth for 10 minutes he finally says oh, you and your company don't have a fucking clue.......  and hung up.  Motherfucker had the audacity to call back several times later.  Yeah, no way dude.  Call someone else  I am not taking your call.  I can barely keep up as it is.  Not wasting another second with you.

People just suck lately
View Quote

Similar scenario, I was a career auto dealership (GM) parts counterman, forty seven years and two weeks to be exact. I couldn’t tell you how many times I would push a parts catalog or a keyboard towards a customer and tell them “Since you know so much YOU look it up”.

And don’t forget the “price is everything” crowd, they want OEM quality at clearance pricing. When the last generation of the Pontiac Grand Am was introduced the OEM front brake pads were the highest priced of all the ones we had in stock, around a hundred dollars as I recall. We didn’t set the prices, GM did.

Had a alleged customer at the customer retail counter to who wanted factory pads (aftermarkets didn’t last as long as factory) but wanted to argue the prices. Now if a customer was reasonable we could give them a discount at our discretion but once they started the entitled shit that train left the station. So this guy apparently had been price shopping  and kept bringing up how Murray’s (now defunct chain bought  out by O’Reilly’s) sells a replacement pad for thirty dollars and why were ours so much higher. After several frustrating minutes of politely trying to explain the difference in OEM vs. aftermarket when all he would do was say “Murray’s are thirty dollars” I finally in exasperation said “Well I guess they know what their shit is worth then” as I turned and left him standing there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We're hiring. You can learn industrial controls and electrical right? You might even be able to work in some relocation money we need electricians so bad.

We even overlook the fact that you guys are scared of brooms and picking up trash.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
30+ years of being an electrician and I had to walk out of a customer's house.

I get to the customers house and the wife greets me at the door, introducers herself we shake hands she invites me in. ( no this is not a dear penthouse story) I wish!

I asked her what she was needing and before she could get a word out the husband, I assume walks in the room and asked me if we are able to do the work. I said I'm not sure what you need yet I told him. Then he says very rudely

" I just can't have uneducated people in my home and take the chance on you or your ill trained employees burring my house down."

I shit you not!  

I just looked at the guy waiting for him to laugh or something, nope he was dead serious. I just turned around and walked out.  I could hear the wife asked him what the hell his problem was as I walked out the door.

Any of my fellow tradesmen seeing this trend of extremely rude customers trending more?

We're hiring. You can learn industrial controls and electrical right? You might even be able to work in some relocation money we need electricians so bad.

We even overlook the fact that you guys are scared of brooms and picking up trash.

That’s the laborers job and I don’t carry a laborers card.

J/K I don’t carry an IBEW card either.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
COVID broke some people.  No idea why, but some people just let their inner asshole out after the pandemic.
View Quote

Yep, the COVID Prolapse is real.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:51:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I get to the customers house and the wife greets me at the door, introducers herself we shake hands she invites me in. ( no this is not a dear penthouse story) I wish!

I asked her what she was needing and before she could get a word out the husband, I assume walks in the room and asked me if we are able to do the work. I said I'm not sure what you need yet I told him. Then he says very rudely

" I just can't have uneducated people in my home and take the chance on you or your ill trained employees burring my house down."

I shit you not!  

I just looked at the guy waiting for him to laugh or something, nope he was dead serious. I just turned around and walked out.  I could hear the wife asked him what the hell his problem was as I walked out the door.

Any of my fellow tradesmen seeing this trend of extremely rude customers trending more?
View Quote

I mean Ohio.. .So..........
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Tell the guy he can pick fast, good, or cheap but he can only have two.

Then go bang his wife.

After that, you can hang the new ceiling fan they bought at Lowe's.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#11]
With his intellect, why does he have to hire an uneducated, ill-trained employee - like you - to fix his problem?

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:58:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Should have asked him, "Are you OK?"
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife is a nurse in a women's clinic.  On a Weekly basis someone is bitching them out because they have plumbing issues.  On a side note, who knew in the little tri county area I live in that syphilis, and gonorrhea are very prevalent among the single and not so single women.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Try high end residential in Manhattan, you'll meet some truly entitled assholes.

Lawyers are the worst, followed by middle aged, single women.
View Quote
My dad does contract work for a few marinas doing canvas and upholstery work, sail boaters are the worst to deal with by far. It doesn't matter what their income level is, they're going to try to nit pick the work and bitch and whine to get a deep discount or free work done.

Of course not all contractors are saints either, I'm still trying to recover $9500 from the guy that was supposed to do my pole barn pad. He did a couple of hours of dirt work then disappeared with the deposit. Turns out he's done the same to several other people in the area.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Luckily he showed his ass before you got elbow deep and had to finish.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Firing bad clients is one of the few joys for the self-employed and everyone should do it as needed. Life’s too short to suffer needlessly.
View Quote

I’m not even self employed and I love it lol even when I worked in retail in college I was the guy that the manager or other associates would come get when it was time to fire a customer. I enjoy it too much lol it’s even more fun when I get to look the VP of a 9 figure oil company in the eyes and tell her she’s not welcome in her own companies meeting or I’m walking
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This is the way I try to run my shop. We may have a 2-3 week backlog on stuff, but if you're not a douche and I have some downtime or am already shooting the color you need, I'll squeeze it in so you can get your stuff back, especially smaller parts.

Our "bigger" customers, mainly the custom diesel shops, that every job has to be expedited because they waited til the last minute and now their customer is screaming at them are the ones that make me want to pull my hair out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had to have a part made (Machine shop) and they asked when I needed it done

I said I was at the mercy of them and whenever they could do it would be fine.

I gave it to them yesterday morning and I got it back this morning and they even powder coated it the same color as the machine.

Asked how much and they said to see if it fits first and I could pay them later.

They said they were used to people being demanding and I was the first person that was nice to them in a couple years

This is the way I try to run my shop. We may have a 2-3 week backlog on stuff, but if you're not a douche and I have some downtime or am already shooting the color you need, I'll squeeze it in so you can get your stuff back, especially smaller parts.

Our "bigger" customers, mainly the custom diesel shops, that every job has to be expedited because they waited til the last minute and now their customer is screaming at them are the ones that make me want to pull my hair out

My old boss liked to do that kind of Mr. Nice Guy thing.  Of course for US it usually meant a) I had to stop what I was working on for MY customer that was waiting so I could do the design work for his favor, and 2) MY customer didn't get their product when it was promised.  It was particularly bad during Covid, when all the other manufacturers were 3 months out, and we were 3 months out, and I was 2 months behind in my design work (wasn't close to keeping up with the 3 months out) and working 13 out of every 14 days for months straight. He seemed perplexed when I quit when I finally caught up enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This and plumbing. While I'm sure I could eventually/probably do it all with enough time, YouTube videos, and trips to Home Depot to buy parts over and over until I got the right ones, I'll happily pay the lazy tax and let one of the known good contractors in the area do their thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Electricity is like voodoo magic to me, so when I have to have an electrician over I do whatever I can to stay out of their way so that I can give them money for doing a job I cannot.

This and plumbing. While I'm sure I could eventually/probably do it all with enough time, YouTube videos, and trips to Home Depot to buy parts over and over until I got the right ones, I'll happily pay the lazy tax and let one of the known good contractors in the area do their thing.

That's what gets me to pay up. It's 90 minutes round trip to grab anything. I've got everything for framing, sheet rock, taping, paint, etc. In spades. Electrical or plumbing I know damn well I'll waste a day just running to the store. I'll happily pay for a guy with a truck full of kit make the problem go away.

I accidentally dropped the water filter housing in the well shed recently. Broke the pvc pipe coming off my pump. Told the missus to start calling around. I jumped in my car headed for home depot. By the time I got back the plumber was waiting on the glue to dry. Probably would have needed at least one more trip for something if I had done it myself.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That's why you stick to commercial
View Quote

Same, although commercial/Industrial has its own challenges
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Make certain to send him a bill for travel expenses.
View Quote

1000%  his attitude cost him

I did some work for a Rich local lady that was in my Ao from dc.  She would ask me what my hourly rate was, then tried to negotiate after I quoted her.  She paid full labor price because I wouldn’t put up with her bullshit. She claimed to be a very staunch Christian too.  Go figure. She and her family moved back to dc when Biden got pushed into office.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
GC here.

Certain people think it's cool to be an asshole nowadays.

IME, they are usually only "bad asses" behind the keyboard, you got a real unicorn there OP.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I shit you not!  

View Quote

Rudeness levels are up all over.  sign of the times i guess.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:22:07 AM EDT
[#23]
"You called me buddy."
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Try high end residential in Manhattan, you'll meet some truly entitled assholes.

Lawyers are the worst, followed by middle aged, single women.
View Quote

LOL!  Best friend is a retired lawyer. Years ago his IT company made a late billing to his firm after years end accounting books were closed.  They told him if they wanted to keep using him he would forget the bill.  I told him I hope you have already started looking for a new IT company.  Your little firm is a pimple on the ass of the IT world.

He had to find another IT company.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've found that if you have no respect for yourself, you will have no respect for others.
View Quote

^^^

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I replaced a starter in a Hyundai Santa Fe about 3 months ago for an older couple that used the car to supplement their income by running door dash orders.

Then the husband thought we were best friends and wanted me to do shit on his car constantly for nothing. Battery died so I boosted 3-4 days in a row before finally telling him I was no longer going to boost their car because it needed a new battery. Brake light switch failed and he needed it fixed right away, flat tire that needed plugged right away, then one day the passenger door wouldn't close because the door lock actuator failed and I told him I would not fix it for free, of course he needed it fixed ASAP because door dash and agreed to pay for it but please get the part here fast. So I ordered the part and had it here the next day, showed it to him and he said it was too expensive and could pay for the part in a few weeks when they got 'paid' by door dash.

Told the fucker to forget it and returned the actuator. Saw him and his wife in their car just the other day, they are still driving around with a tie down strap wrapped around the B pillar with the passenger door windows down to hold the door closed.
I still want my fucking tie down strap back.

Fuckers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I shit you not!  

Damn pre-Madonna's, electricians are...
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#28]
99% chance the following preceded your trip:

1.  Something went wrong...probably something simple like a switch or receptacle failure...possibly even a tripped breaker
2.  Wife says she's calling an electrician.
3.  Husband says fuck that, I'm a man, I can do this myself.
4.  After hours, days, possibly months of him putting it off, he attempts and either can't figure it out or fucks it up even worse than it was before...possibly almost burning his house down in the process
5.  Wife calls electrician to fix husbands fuck up.

Most husbands make sure they're not in the house when the professional comes to fix their shit.  Some, like the fella you encountered, double down on stupidity.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Make certain to send him a bill for travel expenses.
View Quote

Service call.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think I might be overly nice to contractors when I hire them.

I feel guilty for not doing the work myself.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think I might be overly nice to contractors when I hire them.

I feel guilty for not doing the work myself.
View Quote
Haha this is me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If someone is a PITA out of the gate they're going to be a PITA the whole way through the process. Some customers need fired.
View Quote
Yep. Dealing with that now. Red flags during contact negotiations and now I'm kicking myself for not walking away.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If someone is a PITA out of the gate they're going to be a PITA the whole way through the process. Some customers need fired.
View Quote

BINGO !!
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#35]
I have multiple college degrees and not one keeps me from burning my house down by doing my own electrical work.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#36]
That's fucked up.

I'd have fired that customer too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Then wire up a dead short and burn his house down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go back and bang his wife.

Then wire up a dead short and burn his house down.

This is the way.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#38]
He probably met some Angi’s list electricians.

Not excusing him.  Good help is hard to find
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That's why you stick to commercial
View Quote

True. But it has its own set of problems.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Go back and bang his wife.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Good call.  The customer fired himself.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:47:37 AM EDT
[#42]
I mainly focus on kitchen and bathroom remodels. While the vast majority of people are extremely nice and reasonable, you still do have the unfortunate pleasure of sometimes meeting one of "those people." I have found it always serves you well to trust your gut and walk away before starting any work if anything seem off with a client. It almost always comes back to bite you if you don't. They will cost you more money, time, headaches, hassle, change orders, etc. And will most likely not be happy even if your work is flawless. Even if work is slow, DON'T DO IT! RUN, DON'T WALK!! I've never once looked back after declining a job and thought, "man I wish I could have just seen how difficult and miserable that person would have made my life?" Just my 2¢
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#43]
My electrician and I became friends over the years. I still pay him - I pay him more than he asks me at times.

Terrific guy, reliable and honest - FUCK rude people
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I actually did my first walk out in 45 years in the trades last week.

Condescending bitch.

Brand new 900K house and she just pissed off the only person who knows every nail, screw, pipe , hanger in that house.  She just fucked herself if a warranty issue comes up.
View Quote

That's how my job I turned down was.  I knew where every pipe and HVAC line was run between the floors.  Good luck cutting out the entire wall and ceiling to add an addition.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Before I retired, I was a well-known high end custom home builder.  Years ago I had a meeting with a new prospective client who was a senior executive in a very large well-known company.  After the usual introductions, the first word out of the asshat's mouth was "If you screw me in any way, I'll bury you in legal fees" or something to that effect.  I stood up, told him he failed the interview and walked out!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Good on you. He sounds like a scumbag.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I may have a college degree but I have more respect for the people who clean the bathrooms and patient rooms in a hospital than for the CEO running the place
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I shit you not!  

View Quote

What’s the husbands username here?

Sounds like something quite a few members here would say.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I think that's a requirement for electricians while on all commercial sites.
View Quote

Pick up trash and sweep the floor?  What am I, a maid?
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Should have asked some electrical code questions and when he didn’t know the answers, you should humiliated him in front of his wife for being uneducated, ignorant and arrogant.

Then you could announce your hourly rate just quadrupled because that is your rate for uneducated assholes who think they are superior.
View Quote

Asshole tax is a real thing.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top