Quoted:

This is great news,glad they are safe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heard from my dad and stepmother.

No power or cell service at home in Port Charlotte, but they're good.  They got very lucky, considering.  Haven't heard of any major damage to their house or neighborhood.  21xxx Sheldon Ave, if anyone else has someone in that area.

They're out driving around, checking out the damage now.  Should be sending us pics.

This is great news,glad they are safe.

Thanks R!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

@m1awolf

https://whatismyelevation.com/
That website shows my mom's house at 3'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is encouraging. My parents place is just a bit north of there in Nokomis. Any idea of the elevation of their home,my parents are about 23ft above sea level.

@m1awolf

Google earth shows 23 @ my parents place,that app shows 7
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a Cat1 again, headed North to GA and SC.

Even though it's only a Cat1 it's bringing lots of water.

Be safe and have your preps ready.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

They just completed a multi-million-dollar improvement project on the causeway islands to improve their storm resiliency and usage.  It's all gone.
View Quote

Travis, That last section of video's (set of 3) The last video, that was Captiva wasn't it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No power or cell service at home in Port Charlotte, but they're good.  They got very lucky, considering.  Haven't heard of any major damage to their house or neighborhood.  21xxx Sheldon Ave, if anyone else has someone in that area.

They're out driving around, checking out the damage now.  Should be sending us pics.
View Quote

Good news amigo
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is encouraging. My parents place is just a bit north of there in Nokomis. Any idea of the elevation of their home,my parents are about 23ft above sea level.

@m1awolf

That is wildly inaccurate and I wouldn't bother with it further.

Both professional survey and USGS topographic maps put my house elevation at 110 feet higher than what that thing said.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are supposed to be buildings and beach and concrete surrounding the Sanibel Light.  There's a massive amount of structure that's not there.
Yeah. Wiped away.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/430646/126141-2543159.jpg

They can rebuild it. They have the technology. It will be stronger.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So the Chris repair shitshow hits the road late Friday or early Saturday.

I've lined a guy up near Huntsville that'll make all the metal for a new roof in a week. Very reasonable price and said he'd bump me to the front of the line for my small order.

So far the plan is to run down, secure my place, help my neighbors and the three dudes that emailed me about a  looksee on their properties. Then I'll start making a list of materials I need to get ordered to fix my walk through living quarters. I've got an appointment in the morning to talk to a guy about a quick window and door order. Friend of a friend deal.

It'll be a pain in the ass but I'll likely haul my supplies from up here to down south. Over the next month I'll be making a couple of trips from Huntsville to Port Charlotte so if anyone needs anything and I can fit it on a 18' dovetail trailer...I'll do what  I can. Even as busy as people are building around here, it seems that it is easier to locate supplies, it's just a haul....

Water and food is available at the end of my street.

Dewalt circular saw, recip saw, drills, impact driver, blades, 2x4's, 2x6's, plywood, deck screws, tarps, bits, roll or two of tar paper, tar paper nails.

Guns are currently being rescued by the neighbor lady after she figured out how to open my safe....

Main breaker is off, weatherhead is standing upright, but I won't have water until I rebuild the walls around my well equipment. Everything departed the slab according to my neighbor.

My goal for this fall is to get the well working, the roof done, house secured, and the ac running for moisture control. We have a calvary that's going to be arriving over the weekend so we just need to hold on until Sunday.....

I wish everyone the best that's dealing with this shitshow. I might just start a "What a disaster this is" in GD for my sanity and your entertainment. I'm kinda twisted that way...

View Quote

Swing by the Tampa location & grab me one of them generators. I'm in Punta Gorda & will drive to you to pay for it & pick it up. I'm worried that if I pay ahead of time they'll just sell it out from under me.
TRACTOR SUPPLY - 11911 West Hillsborough Ave, Tampa 33635 has over 200 generators in stock if anyone down south needs one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 6:59:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I was listening in on FOX News and this lady was being interviewed.  The reporter asked if she needed any assistance and while sobbing she answered, “No, I’m strong.”  That was inspiring yet heartbreaking at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Google Earth shows 2 meters at my mom's place.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's a Cat1 again, headed North to GA and SC.

Even though it's only a Cat1 it's bringing lots of water.

Be safe and have your preps ready.
View Quote
This storm may set a record for damage cost if not lives lost Fucker isn't done yet
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I've lined a guy up near Huntsville that'll make all the metal for a new roof in a week. Very reasonable price and said he'd bump me to the front of the line for my small order.

So far the plan is to run down, secure my place, help my neighbors and the three dudes that emailed me about a  looksee on their properties. Then I'll start making a list of materials I need to get ordered to fix my walk through living quarters. I've got an appointment in the morning to talk to a guy about a quick window and door order. Friend of a friend deal.

It'll be a pain in the ass but I'll likely haul my supplies from up here to down south. Over the next month I'll be making a couple of trips from Huntsville to Port Charlotte so if anyone needs anything and I can fit it on a 18' dovetail trailer...I'll do what  I can. Even as busy as people are building around here, it seems that it is easier to locate supplies, it's just a haul....

Dewalt circular saw, recip saw, drills, impact driver, blades, 2x4's, 2x6's, plywood, deck screws, tarps, bits, roll or two of tar paper, tar paper nails.

Guns are currently being rescued by the neighbor lady after she figured out how to open my safe....

Main breaker is off, weatherhead is standing upright, but I won't have water until I rebuild the walls around my well equipment. Everything departed the slab according to my neighbor.

My goal for this fall is to get the well working, the roof done, house secured, and the ac running for moisture control. We have a calvary that's going to be arriving over the weekend so we just need to hold on until Sunday.....

I wish everyone the best that's dealing with this shitshow. I might just start a "What a disaster this is" in GD for my sanity and your entertainment. I'm kinda twisted that way...

View Quote

Add a few bundles of 1 x 2 furring strips - makes securing a tarp to the roof a bit easier.  Save the 2 x 4's for covering up windows/doors with the plywood.  Add some threaded rod and nuts to your kit.  2 x 4 across the inside of the window - cut long to overlap trim - plywood cut oversized on outside - threaded rod through the 2 x 4 and plywood - use nuts to clamp ply to 2 x 4 so you don't have to screw/nail into your siding or drywall on on the inside.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They can rebuild it. They have the technology. It will be stronger.
View Quote
I don't think it matters what they build it with. If you're on the ocean side of a big hurricane you're going to get demolished. The surge undercuts foundations and batters buildings.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm glad to see that so many of you have been able to find your family members safe.

Praying that continues to be the case.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

JFC, the power of that storm! That looked worse than the Japanese tsunami videos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time lapse of 15 foot surge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al8yTiCVfro

ETA: Ft Meyers Beach

JFC, the power of that storm! That looked worse than the Japanese tsunami videos.

They've been working on that stip for utilities and upgrades for years.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there an "in house" donation/assistance link set up? Could of sworn I saw one earlier, but can't seem to find it now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:13:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No comment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No comment.

Political grandstanding aside, there will be real negotiations on what gets rebuilt and how.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Swing by the Tampa location & grab me one of them generators. I'm in Punta Gorda & will drive to you to pay for it & pick it up. I'm worried that if I pay ahead of time they'll just sell it out from under me.
TRACTOR SUPPLY - 11911 West Hillsborough Ave, Tampa 33635 has over 200 generators in stock if anyone down south needs one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll email you my phone number through Arfcom. Call me asap. I can find generators all around here and it'll save me running around on my way down. I might be a whore....but I ain't a cheap whore....

Chris

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Just spoke with my buddy on Pine Island again.  Complete devastation.  Small hip town of Matlacha with cool colored houses/shops- gone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

QFT.

I'm still laughing about how you described the Cocoa people nailing boards to their outside walls.  (I grew in Brevard and stayed as far away from Cocoa and Rockledge as I could).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, leave the guy alone. Everyone has their own shit they are dealing with. Noones shit is more important than anyone else's. I'm sure he isn't saying none of the other destruction matter and only his vacation matters. Tone and emotion can't be felt thru posts so cut the guy some slack y'all, damn. Bunch of knee jerk emotional filled reactions. This whole storm is a disaster but we don't need to attack each other over petty bullshit
Eta: I see this was sorted out. Sorry, Marie, didn't mean to seem mean to you. I didn't realize I quoted your post.

QFT.

I'm still laughing about how you described the Cocoa people nailing boards to their outside walls.  (I grew in Brevard and stayed as far away from Cocoa and Rockledge as I could).

Lmao, I live in Virginia park if you know what neighborhood that is. I'm on the rockledge side, less than a block north of rosa l jones. I hear a generator or two running. I think the next street over lost power last night. I watched a couple of their transformers pop last night
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

She's a nut.

And ugly too boot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

To be fair, it always struck me as a bit dumb to "put down roots" on what is essentially a sandbar.

If you're going to do so, expect to lose your stuff with a storm or higher-than-average tide.

I dunno...I think there's something to be said about taking a fresh look at the settlement of Sanibel (and all barrier islands).  Instead of building up to the water's edge and relying on a dune with a bit of grass to hold the sea at bay, maybe build only on those more geologically persistent features?
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Good news amigo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good news amigo

Thanks K!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Political grandstanding aside, there will be real negotiations on what gets rebuilt and how.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No comment.

No doubt. Claims of climate change at this point and time... moronic. Using it to justify leaving the only access to two islands set a new record for liberal retardation.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#26]
My brother's house in FT Myers survived, and they are without power. He went to Miami instead of riding it out.  He has a generator, and was well prepared, he took it seriously when he moved there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just spoke with my buddy on Pine Island again.  Complete devastation.  Small hip town of Matlacha with cool colored houses/shops- gone.
View Quote

Terrible
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#30]

https://www.ksn.com/news/local/aircraft-evacuated-from-hurricane-ian-arrives-at-mcconnell-air-force-base/?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=t.co
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Desantis up.

LIVE: Hurricane Ian updates: life-threatening flooding expected in the Carolinas | LiveNOW from FOX

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Those are paid DNC bots. Anyone that says "Biden has been there up front and center doing the right thing. That is what a true leader is all about" is getting paid.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

To be fair, it always struck me as a bit dumb to "put down roots" on what is essentially a sandbar.

If you're going to do so, expect to lose your stuff with a storm or higher-than-average tide.

I dunno...I think there's something to be said about taking a fresh look at the settlement of Sanibel (and all barrier islands).  Instead of building up to the water's edge and relying on a dune with a bit of grass to hold the sea at bay, maybe build only on those more geologically persistent features?
View Quote
They should turn it into an RV resort or something where if a storm comes everyone can just pack up their RV and leave.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
They should turn it into an RV resort or something where if a storm comes everyone can just pack up their RV and leave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impractical on Sanibel at this point.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My FIL lives in an RV resort on Sanibel in a singlewide trailer.  He lost everything.
View Quote
A trailer or an RV?  If it was an RV why didn't he pack up and leave?

EDIT: that is why it should be RVs and travel trailers, so they can leave if they need to and keep their stuff from getting destroyed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I can do the same
View All Quotes

If these are available at the Sarasota, Bradenton or Venice locations, I can grab a couple and bring south to anyone who can't get away to get them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are/were plenty of original buildings still standing that are +- 100 years old. This was a very rare event. The whole area
was a very cool place to be. I hope they can rebuild and be close to what it was before.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

EDIT: that is why it should be RVs and travel trailers, so they can leave if they need to and keep their stuff from getting destroyed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My FIL lives in an RV resort on Sanibel in a singlewide trailer.  He lost everything.

He left, and he's alive because he did leave.  The trailer is immovable.

Sanibel is a very crowded little island.  But, the loss of significant amounts of property may convince city planners to take a more...I don't know...ecological look at development?

On one side of the island, there's Ding Darling NWR.  Nothing but mangroves as far as the eye can see.  I'm sure it took a beating, but will look fine in a couple weeks.

On the other side, homes built practically on the beach.

A bit of set-back inside of the natural flora may soften the blow a bit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Family’s house on Ft Myers Beach survived! They just sent a photo and even his 18’ Maverick flats boat stayed tied up in the carport.

A damn relief that it’s still standing. Hopefully they’ll be able to get out there this weekend to evaluate it.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If these are available at the Sarasota, Bradenton or Venice locations, I can grab a couple and bring south to anyone who can't get away to get them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Unknown inventory there. Might be worth a call to them and we can post availability and support in the assistance thread.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#42]

BONITA SPRINGS: A Plymouth vehicle was turned upside down outside of a luxury beachside property which was badly affected by the storm

A military Chinook landed on Sanibel beach in the wake of the hurricane after all bridges to and from the island were destroyed

VIDEO
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Bolivar Peninsula Sept. 2008 - Hurricane Ike

Today it's been built back larger, more expensive, and with a higher population.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There are/were plenty of original buildings still standing that are +- 100 years old. This was a very rare event. The whole area
was a very cool place to be. I hope they can rebuild and be close to what it was before.
View Quote

I can almost guarantee that all of them are nowhere within eyeshot of the beach.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but I think there "needs to be a conversation" about building in geologically/ecologically fluid areas like Sanibel, Hatteras, or Cape Cod.

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:51:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Fuck him.

COC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck him.

COC

Yes. Anything that breaks or is damaged, do not replace or repair. That way we can build a superior civilization. Certainly if power is out at his house, do not reconnect.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got word that wife's sister's house in the Cape did not flood. They lost the pool cage and a lot of expensive landscaping
but their house is in tact and the vehicle they left there is in good shape as well as their new boat. They lost 80 thousand
dollars in vehicles in Ft Myers where they bugged out to. I am so happy for them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Add a few bundles of 1 x 2 furring strips - makes securing a tarp to the roof a bit easier.  Save the 2 x 4's for covering up windows/doors with the plywood.  Add some threaded rod and nuts to your kit.  2 x 4 across the inside of the window - cut long to overlap trim - plywood cut oversized on outside - threaded rod through the 2 x 4 and plywood - use nuts to clamp ply to 2 x 4 so you don't have to screw/nail into your siding or drywall on on the inside.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks !!! Added to my list !!!!!!!!

That was my plan but ideas always help !!!

Chris

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I used to love fishing and drinking on Pine Island. That's so sad.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top