User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm sure the retailers were absolutely thrilled to hear that.

What's the dealer profit on a $20K econo-truck - Maybe about one-twentieth of what it is for a King Ranch F150?
View Quote
Financing, parts, service, volume sales, trade ins.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What's the dealer profit on a $20K econo-truck - Maybe about one-twentieth of what it is for a King Ranch F150?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ford has indicated to retailers the vehicle will be priced under $20,000

This is a fleet designed vehicle.  They're also selling it worldwide.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
There is around $400 profit in a Chevy Spark at full price.
These 'trucks' will have a similar margin and dealers will loathe the idea of keeping them in stock.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't care what dealers think

I am interested in a no frills "truck"

like this
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't care what dealers think

I am interested in a no frills "truck"

like this
View Quote
You can buy one now...for under 20k
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I could use a $20k small pickup. Then again, I could use a $20k small van, which is available but I have not purchased one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A true SMALL truck aka S10/ranger/gen1 tacoma is exactly what I've been asking for.

Sometimes you don't need a brodozer with a unreachably high bed to haul a couple tools or bags of compost.
View Quote
Yup same here. If this doesn't suck ass then I'll buy one and I'll keep my Mustang also.

However I'm not too optimistic that Ford won't fuck it up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like it will be on a Focus body frame.

SPIED: 2021 Ford Courier, New Compact Pickup
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It will appeal to people who think the Honda Ridgeline is too much truck.
View Quote
Yeah, I like the Ridgeline, but it IS a a tad large.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

These 'trucks' will have a similar margin and dealers will loathe the idea of keeping them in stock.
View Quote
The sales manager might hate the slim margin. But a good GM will shove it down his throat. A healthy dealership makes 75% of it profit from the service department.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can buy an F-150 for 20k....new.

18k brand new...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/789626349/overview/

But according to GD it has to many options and they wont buy it.
View Quote
No, it's not about options, it's just too fucking BIG.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yep.   Oh you want the plow prep package.......yea the XL package is the only way that comes.   Seriously,.....a business looking for a fleet style utility truck doesn’t need the XL trim package.   Just forcing the price up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is possible to make an economical and lighter truck if dealers quit pushing the ton of unnecessary shit that buyers later believe they absolutely need.

So yeah, their base truck will be $19,995.  By the time you add all the shit you "need", $33,876.
They do sell regular cab, no frills 2WD.
Yep.   Oh you want the plow prep package.......yea the XL package is the only way that comes.   Seriously,.....a business looking for a fleet style utility truck doesn’t need the XL trim package.   Just forcing the price up.
What exactly is fancy about the base XL trim package that you could cut for cost? Or do you think an XL isn't the absolute bottom tier?

The fleet trucks for the company I work for are all either XL or XLT F150s or F250s and I don't exactly see what could be the issue unless you count the power windows, a backup camera, and Bluetooth radio as "luxury" items even though they don't amount to shit cost wise. It isn't 1985 anymore bud, 12v DC motors, momentary 3 position switchs, and wiring doesn't cost more than the hardware to have crank windows and the different door panels to accommodate the parts. Adding Bluetooth to a radio is stupid cheap aswell so I cannot see where cutting that going to save you any realistic amount of money plus it allows for handsfree driving which is only a plus for cutting down on dudes fucking with their phones. And backup cameras? If you're providing trucks for a fleet insurance is a massive cost to eat and cutting down on dudes backing into stationary objects is worth the piddly expense of a backup camera.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Isuzu=luv

Saw a luv diesel last week, it was minty

Courier =Mazda? I had a 74 courier for a short time back in the early 1980s.

Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It will fill the void left by the Mahindra truck debacle. There is a market for a basic vehicle if they can get some kind of exemption for all the NHTSA mandates like TPMS etc. Put a small diesel in it and they will sell even more. Even if it's a unibody.
View Quote
not gonna happen, at least not cheaply. jeep just came out with a diesel motor for the wrangler (us release, not the smaller rest-of-the-world-diesel) and i have been reading post on one of the wrangler sites. diesels now come with urea based systems that 'burn' off particles. there is some sort of screen that can get clogged and supposedly these systems are prone to failure or causing issues and have limited warranties. and the cost of dealing with diesel motor and epa required systems can be an expensive nightmare.

a small diesel powered truck is a cool idea but the reality of what it would cost make it unlikely that you will see such a truck and if it does come to market it aint gonna cost 20k.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Make it aluminum framed and aluminum bodied and it'll get 35mpg+; i know lots of older guys whose old rangers and S10s have rusted out and just need a pickup for hauling mulch, flowers, and garden veggies from home depot - they'll buy one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#17]
You lost me at Made in Mexico. Sounded promising though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What exactly is fancy about the base XL trim package that you could cut for cost? Or do you think an XL isn't the absolute bottom tier?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is possible to make an economical and lighter truck if dealers quit pushing the ton of unnecessary shit that buyers later believe they absolutely need.

So yeah, their base truck will be $19,995.  By the time you add all the shit you "need", $33,876.
They do sell regular cab, no frills 2WD.
Lariat is the $70,000 truck and XL stands for Xtra Lariat so it's more expensive, right?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A true SMALL truck aka S10/ranger/gen1 tacoma is exactly what I've been asking for.

Sometimes you don't need a brodozer with a unreachably high bed to haul a couple tools or bags of compost.
View Quote
Yeah I'd seriously consider one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I’d be interested in that fleet F-150 posted above, except:

- it’s fucking enormous
- it’s not 4WD

I’m one of the GDers that would love to have vehicles without all the options so many seem to enjoy these days. But every time I try to look for an inexpensive truck it ends up being almost $30k because of the ‘package’ that has 4WD. I want a basic truck but don’t want 2WD.

For the record, I have a 2010 Nissan Versa ‘base’ sedan I still drive. It’s got a manual trans, no A/C, crank windows, no radio.... I drive 13 miles to work 3 days a week. It’s fine except when it snows.

Not sure why people get so militant that “no one will buy it!” I’d rather have a new 4WD ‘work truck’ than a King Ranch w/ 100,000 miles.

And not everyone wants/needs to tow stuff. I’m 50 fucking years old and have never needed to. I don’t have nor ever will have a boat or ‘personal watercraft’ so a Chevy Luv-sized truck would be fine. It just needs to be 4WD.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Ford and Chevy will have to merge soon to survive the coming decade. Jap brands and electric will dominate as millennials/ Gen Z become the base. Dodge will die when the last Gen Xers hit 60. It's all over but the crying for Gear Heads ?? That's why I bought mine two years ago at 44. It's been a great two years though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ford has indicated to retailers the vehicle will be priced under $20,000

My gut tells me those are two different target markets...

Would you rather get 2% profit of $20k or 0% profit of $70k?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
not gonna happen, at least not cheaply. jeep just came out with a diesel motor for the wrangler (us release, not the smaller rest-of-the-world-diesel) and i have been reading post on one of the wrangler sites. diesels now come with urea based systems that 'burn' off particles. there is some sort of screen that can get clogged and supposedly these systems are prone to failure or causing issues and have limited warranties. and the cost of dealing with diesel motor and epa required systems can be an expensive nightmare.

a small diesel powered truck is a cool idea but the reality of what it would cost make it unlikely that you will see such a truck and if it does come to market it aint gonna cost 20k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It will fill the void left by the Mahindra truck debacle. There is a market for a basic vehicle if they can get some kind of exemption for all the NHTSA mandates like TPMS etc. Put a small diesel in it and they will sell even more. Even if it's a unibody.

All these small diesel dreamers are wanting diesels from 20 years ago, not modern EGR/DPF/DEF diesels and their shitty reliability unless you delete them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

GD will be mad that it its roll up windows dont have vents or something....the 20k mini truck isnt what people want.

They want a comfortable capable daily driver, that can run errands, haul the boat,  with the family, get shit from lowes, go to the hunting camp....all with leather and a moonroof, with 400hp that gets 20mpg.
View Quote
That's precisely what's missing from the US market. I don't have a boat. Don't need the fam while I'm getting a few bales of hay and some feed. I don't a retard grilled monster that's halfway to a bro dozer stock from the factory.

Give me beater no frills Hilux/Mitsu B2000 size P/U any day.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#25]
This isn't the rebirth of the iconic 70s-80s mini truck.

It is a "truck" that was based on a tiny van that is based on a unibody FWD car.

Glad I have this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ford should sell them online and bypass the dealer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

- it’s fucking enormous
- it’s not 4WD

I’m one of the GDers that would love to have vehicles without all the options so many seem to enjoy these days. But every time I try to look for an inexpensive truck it ends up being almost $30k because of the ‘package’ that has 4WD. I want a basic truck but don’t want 2WD.

For the record, I have a 2010 Nissan Versa ‘base’ sedan I still drive. It’s got a manual trans, no A/C, crank windows, no radio.... I drive 13 miles to work 3 days a week. It’s fine.

Not sure why people get so militant that “no one will buy it!” I’d rather have a new 4WD ‘work truck’ than a King Ranch w/ 100,000 miles.

And not everyone wants/needs to tow stuff. I’m 50 fucking years old and have never needed to. I don’t have nor ever will have a boat or ‘personal watercraft’ so a Chevy Luv-sized truck would be fine. It just needs to be 4WD.
View Quote
Last November I bought a Chevy single cab, work truck trim. 4WD. MSRP was over 38k. It was the cheapest new truck available with a standard wheelbase width and 4WD.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:23:50 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm patiently waiting for a Ranger Raptor with a 5.0.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

18k brand new...

View Quote
If you're lucky.  MSRP $31,450.  Not the same thing as MSRP < $20,000.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Yeah dudes it's going to be a car-based design like a Subaru Brat and I don't know why any of you expect anything different.

Target market is going to be city/suburb dwellers who just need an economic vehicle with a bed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My 87 Ranger was the perfect vehicle, slap the little Eco boost in one of those and it would get 35mpg and be fast as hell.
View Quote
The early 90s 4.0 rangers and 4.3 S-10s would hang with a stock mustang GT, and out run an auto Mustang GT.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm patiently waiting for a Ranger Raptor with a 5.0.
View Quote
#metoo
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
The stealerships will add $2,500 for dealer-installed "paint protectant".
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#35]
if it's a legit 1/4 ton pickup and doesn't look too ghey I think I'm very interested in one for a daily driver.  (save the miles and fuel w/ my 3/4 ton)

Fuckin regular cab, manual trans. for less than $20k?  yep
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

- it’s fucking enormous
- it’s not 4WD

For the record, I have a 2010 Nissan Versa ‘base’ sedan I still drive. It’s got a manual trans, no A/C, crank windows, no radio.... I drive 13 miles to work 3 days a week. It’s fine except when it snows.

View Quote
22k 4wd base truck

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/792980714/overview/
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Cool, about time
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:42:31 AM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- it’s fucking enormous
- it’s not 4WD

22k 4wd base truck

MSRP $35,290  When a $20,000 truck gets stale on the lot like that, and it gets a 1/3 discount, it should be about $13,000.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

MSRP $35,290  When a $20,000 truck gets stale on the lot like that, and it gets a 1/3 discount, it should be about $13,000.
View Quote
I hope so....I would buy a brand new 2wd mini truck with a 5 speed for 15k tomorrow.  Only option it needs is a radio and heat.....my truck just hit 51k miles and would love a little efficent mini truck to run around town in, keep the miles off my truck and get 30+mpg.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Sounds like it'll be the Ford Mini-Ridgeline... A.K.A. wrong wheel drive and unibody, based on the Focus platform... so not a truck at all. It'll be an econoshitbox with a bed.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There is a market for a basic vehicle if they can get some kind of exemption for all the NHTSA mandates like TPMS etc. The Government give an exemption to anyone but themselves?

Put a small diesel in it and they will sell even more. Even if it's a unibody.   The government hates diesels because they work. Never gonna happen, and even if it did, it would be a $10k upcharge and have emissions bullshit the breaks all the time while getting shit mileage
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Ford should sell them online and bypass the dealer.
View Quote
Sell them exclusively at Costco and Sam's
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- it’s fucking enormous
- it’s not 4WD

22k 4wd base truck

Still too big.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

18k brand new...

22k 4wd
View Quote
3.3l NA V6? God that would be miserable to drive
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sounds like it'll be the Ford Mini-Ridgeline... A.K.A. wrong wheel drive and unibody, based on the Focus platform... so not a truck at all. It'll be an econoshitbox with a bed.
View Quote
Leave it to ford to recognize a woefully under served potentially huge market, and then design exactly what that market does NOT want.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Still too big.
View Quote
A regular cab long box fs truck on 30" tires is big??

If it was a 3/4T long box quad cab with HD Suspension on factory 35s yeah that's a big truck.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top