User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You should know the rules by now
View Quote
In this context, feel free to pick up any womans magazine with a supermodel on the cover.

In real life, probably only I find her to be a supermodel.  I am ok with that.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:44:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A guy from out of state stayed in Ithaca, NY, probably his kids go to Cornell. He left his illegal handgun in a hotel then went back for it. He was arrested.
View Quote
There is no humor in your post...
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Lots of buddy fuckers in here. It's no wonder we can't make any headway in restoring gun rights.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You're hard core!  

Kids screaming, wife's bitching, work is on the phone, maybe a fire alarm going off.

Shit happens in the real world.   Sometimes it is suboptimal shit.
View Quote
Lies

He's obviously not into guns so I'd guess he's more of a club goer type. Those people are slow and dimwitted. Not surprised that the gun was far in the back of his mind.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A guy from out of state stayed in Ithaca, NY, probably his kids go to Cornell. He left his illegal handgun in a hotel then went back for it. He was arrested.
You gotta know Ithaca.  Imagine if you will, "The invasion of the Body Snatchers", then give all the residents of Ithaca the ability to sense a firearm.

That is the reaction you would get.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lots of buddy fuckers in here. It's no wonder we can't make any headway in restoring gun rights.
View Quote
At least I quit the NRA and joined the GOA
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If he was still working there, then was he still checked in to that room?  If so, it's his place of residence and he has every right to possess a firearm in his own place of residence.  He has an expectation of privacy, and all that.  As long as the gun is on the list, and as long as the magazine ban isn't being enforced yet, then he should be all right.  Correct?
View Quote
Bringing a standard capacity magazine into the state is a seperate issue vs being ‘allowed’ to maintain possession of a standard capacity magazine...
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Lies

He's obviously not into guns so I'd guess he's more of a club goer type. Those people are slow and dimwitted. Not surprised that the gun was far in the back of his mind.
View Quote
I have , hmmm, maybe 13 - 14 Glocks.  Other than the 19, I could not tell them apart and honestly don't really know how many I have.   If I was carrying anything other than my beloved 19, I might forget it like I might forget my used underwear.

Wait, I could tell the 36 also, only becasue the grip is so thin.  I know I have a 36 becasue I tried carrying it instead of my 19 and that went south.

So, forgetting a firearm?  Sure, I can see it in the realm of possibility.  I have made worse, stupider mistakes in my life.

How about you?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#9]
That kind of "accident" seems to only happen to people I've known who either start drinking early in the morning or swallow opioids by the fistful, or both.

Always makes me worry that they get behind the wheel, on the highway, sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#10]
F

If i did that id have considered it lost and never said a peep. If LE called - "i have no idea, i only slept there"
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#11]
In on 1
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Lots of Hillary supporters in this thread hoping that California fucks OP's friend.  

OP, your bud needs to write his Glock off as a loss and forget about it.  I went to California this summer with my family on a road trip.  I carried a S&W 638 in a locked Pelican case.  Next time your bud travels there he should take a handgun that is legal there.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In on 1
View Quote
Close...
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In on 1
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#15]
My cousin did the exact same thing but in Florida. They turned it in to the Sheriff's office and would not allow him to just pick it up. After two weeks worth of hoops it was mailed back to him.

I know it's not California but Florida is pretty close.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You serious Clark?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ideally, he'd be on his way out of the state right now.
Can he make it to the coast? It will be too risky to travel overland to any neighboring borders. If he can make it to the ocean (and he has enough cash) he may be able find passage on a small private vessel heading to Asia. Unfortunately, it looks like his life in the USA is over.
You serious Clark?
You know Mexico is a lot closer, right?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:00:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Remember the guy who thought he could live with bears and was eaten? I laughed then also.
View Quote
Good ole' Timmy Treadwell, we all told him he was going to end up bear shit!
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#19]
It amazes me how detached from reality we are around here sometimes. You guys must certainly recognize we’re not run of the mill gun owners on arfcom. It does not surprise me in the least that an average gun owner would not know what model their gun is. Lots of people buy a gun and then tuck it away in a drawer or the top of the closet...possibly most.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Is his name Aaron?

Because if it is, “you done fucked up A-ron!”
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It amazes me how detached from reality we are around here sometimes. You guys must certainly recognize we’re not run of the mill gun owners on arfcom. It does not surprise me in the least that an average gun owner would not know what model their gun is. Lots of people buy a gun and then tuck it away in a drawer or the top of the closet...possibility most.
View Quote
The guy I bought my house from is a gun owner, he didn't know what an AR15 is.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:05:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Go in swinging.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I watched this same scenario play out at a hotel in Georgia. The guy and his wife were both separately calling the hotel being cryptic and nasty about it. Spooked the hotel who called the cops who took it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:08:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It amazes me how detached from reality we are around here sometimes. You guys must certainly recognize we’re not run of the mill gun owners on arfcom. It does not surprise me in the least that an average gun owner would not know what model their gun is. Lots of people buy a gun and then tuck it away in a drawer or the top of the closet...possibly most.
View Quote
There are a lot of gun models out there, but we are talking about a Glock, Glock owners wear their model number like a badge of honor, I have never met one that didn't know what model his gun is...

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#27]
It's perfectly legal for him, as an out of state resident to own that pistol. Yes, even with standard capacity mags.
Getting it back may be another story.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well the Atf can probably track the gun back to him, the hotel was registered in his name, he did call, probably from a phone registered in his name that showed up on caller ID, to ask about the gun then used the same phone to text OP and admit his sins.
View Quote
I’m sure if he bought it new, ATF can do the e-trace. Will probably only happen if the detective requests it.

PC is definitely there to arrest, but whether or not the ADA goes through with it is another story. By simply not having a witness observing him possess it or a confession, the ADA may not take it to trial. That will raise some doubts, especially with a good attorney. He should definitely be prepared to pepper the ole angus though
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What to do if you left illegal contraband in a hotel? Lol I hope he's no longer in California. Shut the fuck up and call a lawyer Monday
View Quote
This, I would find an attorney just in case.  Don't say anything and maybe, just maybe it will go away.  Prosecutor has to decide if it is worth pursuing.

May decide it's not and you never hear anything.  Won't see the gun ever again but would be the best outcome
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
+1

Seriously.  A lawyer getting involved with this is going to cost way more than the gun.

He will still need a lawyer if they pursue him over it.

I'd not say another word about it to anyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since that magazine is illegal in Cali, I probably would stfu about it. At this point they probably won't charge him because they never saw him in possession of it. But if he calls up there wanting it back and claims he left it in the motel room then maybe they would pursue charges. Personally.  I'd just STfU about it.
+1

Seriously.  A lawyer getting involved with this is going to cost way more than the gun.

He will still need a lawyer if they pursue him over it.

I'd not say another word about it to anyone.
I'd also get the hell outta Kalifornia right damn now, and stay out.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's my nightmare scenario since I travel and fly a lot.

A few years ago I almost left home for the airport with my Glock 19 mag in my computer bag
View Quote
I do a gun and ammo check when getting ready to travel anymore.  I've mistakenly traveled with some loose ammo and a full magazine once.  Never got picked up by security for some reason.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Maybe post in Legal or Hometown forum?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Maybe he's more clever than we realize and the whole "I don't know what model gun it was" is part of his preparations for a "temporary insanity" defense.

View Quote
I hadn't considered that- the whole "crazy like a fox" routine.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Day One ! ! !
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What exactly does fopa protect? Traveling through states with these bs restrictive laws, unlike others here I hope he gets his legally owned gun back and california has to unfuck themselves because of this.

Eta, if you havent tought your kids about gun safety by the time they could be wondering unaccompanied through random hotel rooms your doing something wrong.
View Quote
FOPA covers carrying guns in a vehicle as you pass through a state, as long as they are secured.  It doesn’t cover being stupid enough to leave a loaded gun unattended in a hotel room.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Okay charge him with reckless endangerment for leaving a loaded gun on a hotel room, you know it was loaded.
View Quote
It wasn’t loaded when I left it there, that is of course if I left it there.

At this point I seriously dought it is very high on anyone’s list to prosecute this Violation of California law.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I woke up to a series of panicked text messages from a friend who's working in California. He left his Glock in a hotel room. He called them to ask if they found it. They did and they turned it into the police. He said he's not sure of the model, but it holds more than 10 rounds. I know, lawyer and all that, but he's pretty stressed over it, doesn't know what to do, and asked me to ask online since it's the weekend and the middle of the night for him.
View Quote
Typical gun owner. Doesn't know what he owns, doesn't know how to properly handle it, and doesn't know the risk he plays when having them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Really? Three pages before we find out if he was livin' it up?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#39]
A hotel in California huh?  That chain of custody probably has at least one illegal alien.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

FOPA covers carrying guns in a vehicle as you pass through a state, as long as they are secured
.  It doesn’t cover being stupid enough to leave a loaded gun unattended in a hotel room.
View Quote
That was part of my point, practically nothing, and we got hughes for it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:23:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Magazine capacity law was placed on hold in court recently in CA

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-magazine-ruling-20180717-story.html
View Quote
This must be fake news.  To wit...

The lawsuit is filed by the California Rifle and Pistol Association — an affiliate of the National Rifle Association — on behalf of gun owners who either want the magazines for self defense or already own them and don’t want to be forced to give them up.

“This is a significant win for law-abiding gun owners in California,” Chris W. Cox, executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action, said in a statement.

GD has informed me that the NRA-ILA is a communist organization, dedicated to destroying the 2nd Amendment, and that Chris Cox is the antichrist.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That's my nightmare scenario since I travel and fly a lot.

A few years ago I almost left home for the airport with my Glock 19 mag in my computer bag
View Quote
In my almost 30 year career at sea I learned to wake up, shit, shower, shave, pack and be out the door in 30 minutes.

I never do this. It always takes about 33 minutes.

Why? I run through the check list I made and had laminated years ago and do a walkaround.

Thermostat set? Check.

Cat fed? Check

Stove off? Check.

Guns put away? Check

etc.

I also have an additional one for when I travel by air.

Pockets of all clothing gone through?

Bags emptied and cleared?

Wrist watch in carry-on?

Any gun arrangements?

You get the general idea. The pilot that has flown 5,000 trips STILL uses a check list.

You can call me a doddering old man if you want but the fact is I have done this for decades and over the years it has been a successful way to do things.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
You're hard core!  

Kids screaming, wife's bitching, work is on the phone, maybe a fire alarm going off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It always amazes me how people "leave their sidearm" here or there.

Uh, how does one walk out of a room without their pecker?
You're hard core!  

Seriously. Last time I went to the range I forgot my target stand. Prior trip I brought my .22 but forgot the ammo for it. Forgetting his gun seems like a big screw up but I can see it happening if he was focused on something else or just thought he had already packed it away.

Hurr durr hope he gets fucked for violating the commandments from heaven that is California law. Because national borders shouldn't matter but if you bring something that is legal in the neighboring state over the state border it should be enough to fuck your life up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If he was still working there, then was he still checked in to that room?  If so, it's his place of residence and he has every right to possess a firearm in his own place of residence.  He has an expectation of privacy, and all that.  As long as the gun is on the list, and as long as the magazine ban isn't being enforced yet, then he should be all right.  Correct?
View Quote
Gotta have a license in CA, IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's how I see it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you leave behind prohibited items it’s probably best to just write them off. The cost of the firearm is probably cheaper than the legal battle.

He could theoretically report it stolen to his local PD and hope that California returns it to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What to do if you left illegal contraband in a hotel? Lol I hope he's no longer in California. Shut the fuck up and call a lawyer Monday
If you leave behind prohibited items it’s probably best to just write them off. The cost of the firearm is probably cheaper than the legal battle.

He could theoretically report it stolen to his local PD and hope that California returns it to them.
This. The best couse of action is to file a false police report.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Remember the guy who thought he could live with bears and was eaten? I laughed then also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For good reason too. That is funny...
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Keep it on you concealed
Hide it in your room where it can’t be found
Put do not disturb/do not clean signage on hotel door
Hide it in your vehicle once you depart the room.

Just seems like there were plenty of options besides just leaving it behind.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Stupid is as stupid does. Hope he gets jail time over it.
At least some kid didn’t find it and shoot himself or someone else.  
View Quote
Stupid indeed.

I mean your comment.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top