Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]
<i style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">I always loved the sdkfz 8 & 9

[/i]

Famo 18-tonner Sd.Kfz. 9 On the Move - Militracks 2017 - Oorlogsmuseum Overloon

[/i][/i][/i]
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bingo.  Just don't tell the germanophiles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  At best it might have kept them in the war long enough to get nuked.

There's no alternate universe in which Germany wins that war, aside from not fighting a war on two fronts.
Bingo.  Just don't tell the germanophiles.
Awe come on .... the Germans make good stuff.

Well ... except for World Wars.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:47:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a three part video series coming out in a couple days on the
German Sd.Kfz. 251 halftrack with part 2 being how to drive it.

will be at
http://www.firearmsnews.com/

have a PAK 40 75mm Anti-Tank Gun coming up as well.....along with one
on the Kettenkraftrad tracked motorcycle......firing a T34/85.....firing a Sherman M4A2E8
a French Mle 1937 25mm anti-tank gun and a pile of others.....even a
French Chauchat.........
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

will be at

on the Kettenkraftrad tracked motorcycle......firing a T34/85.....firing a Sherman M4A2E8
French Chauchat.........
View Quote
Awesome.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The problem is that on mud the steering wheels .... didn't.

They were an interesting idea, and damn cool to look at, but an evolutionary dead end.  Pretty much nobody is fielding half tracks anymore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the point of wheels was the wheels steered; no complicated steering of the tracks.  The benefit of the tracks was they lowered ground pressure so the vehicle didn't sink in the mud and get stuck like a fully-wheeled vehicle would.

They were an interesting idea, and damn cool to look at, but an evolutionary dead end.  Pretty much nobody is fielding half tracks anymore.
Actually, you could steer with the tracks. To the right of the driver are three levers. The one in the center is the E-brake. The one on the left of that breaks the left track
and the one on the right the right track. When you turn you cut the wheel and pull up on the lever in the direction you want to go and apply a lil gas.
At least on the Sd.Kfz. 251....
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:53:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think the point of wheels was the wheels steered; no complicated steering of the tracks.  The benefit of the tracks was they lowered ground pressure so the vehicle didn't sink in the mud and get stuck like a fully-wheeled vehicle would.
View Quote
Theres simply no way wheels are steering tracks.

Maybe with the help of turning brakes, but not by themselves.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#8]

I am currently building this in 1/35.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Germans loved putting tracks on everything.

http://imgur.com/shqAy9H.jpg
View Quote
WWI experience.
When the only thing that could move through the muck was tracked.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Actually, you could steer with the tracks. To the right of the driver are three levers. The one in the center is the E-brake. The one on the left of that breaks the left track
and the one on the right the right track. When you turn you cut the wheel and pull up on the lever in the direction you want to go and apply a lil gas.
View Quote
Like I thought.

Probably not as much weight on the front wheels as what the tracks themselves weighed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But if you're going to track steer, what are the front steering wheels doing for you?  Why not just go all tracked?

Why haven't modern militaries continued with the half track concept?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
And while the tracks are sliding across the mud there is nothing up front to help grab.  Sure an experienced driver can sorta steer it in horrible conditions.  Show that guy a M3 and he'll never look back.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/76629/werfen-406351.JPG

I started looking for this pic on my external hard drive 20 minutes ago. I couldn't remember what it said, so I just went through old saved pics. Holy fuck there are some goodies in there from over the years.
View Quote
That thing is a blast in War Thunder - it just takes some practice.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sold, I'll send in my subscription renewal fee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

will be at

French Chauchat.........
Sold, I'll send in my subscription renewal fee.
We have a lot of exciting things we are working on for 2018 and are currently editing about 40 videos.
I think people will really dig it. Muzzle blast on the PAK 40 is........attention getting!
If you have any ideas for things you'd like to see in print or video.......let me know!
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

And while the tracks are sliding across the mud there is nothing up front to help grab.  Sure an experienced driver can sorta steer it in horrible conditions.  Show that guy a M3 and he'll never look back.
View Quote
I'm not saying the Sd.Kfz. 251 is the best system in the world.
I think it was inferior going cross country to our halftrack which had a live front axle.
The live front axle, just like a M35 6x6 truck, makes a huge difference when you kick it in.

Regarding their usefulness, the only country I know which really stuck with the halftrack is Israel.
They seemed to really like them.

I'm just saying that on the German design you can steer with the tracks if needed.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Some very cool pictures and info OP. Thanks for starting this thread.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hope someone someday considers a storied history of ASP and Devel, and the resultant improvements in Smitty 2nd and 3rd gen guns, and everything thereafter.  Maybe?
View Quote
Great idea, I'll pass them along to our Editor and see what we can do.......!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm not saying the Sd.Kfz. 251 is the best system in the world.  Just the coolest looking
View Quote
Sd.Kfz. 251/21 Ausf. D FTW  

ETA
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying the Sd.Kfz. 251 is the best system in the world.  Just the coolest looking
I'm not sure if you were referring to the M3 halftrack or M3 Bradley in your previous comment. I'm guessing it's
the Bradley. Downside to the Bradley as a comparison is how few people you can stuff in one. 10 Panzergrenadiers
was standard in a Sd.Kfz. 251 but often you see pics with like 50 guys all stuffed in one....
I was only around Cavalry Brads in Iraq but 7 dismounts stuffed in the back required a bit of effort to get the ramp up.....

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Can't fool me. That's a post war Czech copy of the Sdfkz 251.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:39:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Need to take out a Sherman or a T-34?  Call on the panzergrenadiers!

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm not sure if you were referring to the M3 halftrack or M3 Bradley in your previous comment. I'm guessing it's
the Bradley. Downside to the Bradley as a comparison is how few people you can stuff in one. 10 Panzergrenadiers
was standard in a Sd.Kfz. 251 but often you see pics with like 50 guys all stuffed in one....
I was only around Cavalry Brads in Iraq but 7 dismounts stuffed in the back required a bit of effort to get the ramp up.....

View Quote
Bradley? Wasn't he a captain or something?

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#24]
How about some 234's?

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I really liked the ones with neblewerfer(sp) attached or the version with a 50 mm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes
I really liked the ones with neblewerfer(sp) attached or the version with a 50 mm.
You were close.

It's "Nebelwerfer."

And it literally means "smoke thrower" - a nickname which the Germans derived from the smoke contrails of those rockets.

The contrails were problematic, too, because it allowed the enemy to quickly zero in on the launch site, and take it under counter battery fire.

Werfer units had to "shoot and move" (displace) quickly to survive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Puma234 just checking in.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Can't fool me. That's a post war Czech copy of the Sdfkz 251.
View Quote
What are the tell tale identifiers between an OT-810 and Sd.Kfz. 251?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was wondering the same thing.

I bet the old M113 is superior

....but the German machine looks much cooler.

the 113 looks like it's exterior was designed at 16:25pm on a Friday
View Quote
LOL, it really does and I am a fan..... "Nobody is going home until we have an APC concept on my my desk by C.O.B."!
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What are the tell tale identifiers between an OT-10 and Sd.Kfz. 251?
View Quote
The hood is larger to accommodate the larger engine.  But I couldn't tell from those photos.  I would assume it's czech just because of the amount of them still around.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:02:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I actually made a rubberband car in Shop class in 12th grade. I made it to look like a Hanomag.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sexy, but it ain't even quarter tracked, let alone half!
View Quote
Couldn't resist.

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:07:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No one else had Tabun - IG Farben invented it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone had gas and nobody wanted to use it and it sure as shit wouldn't have saved Germany had they.
No one else had Tabun - IG Farben invented it.
All that would have resulted in would be either their cities getting gassed with the chemicals we had, or nuked.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The hood is larger to accommodate the larger engine.  But I couldn't tell from those photos.  I would assume it's czech just because of the amount of them still around.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#36]
I always thought the AAA version ones were sweet.

Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#37]
The Germans had really cool machines.

With the exception of ther aircraft.  Many looked like they were made from Puerto Rican roof scraps.

Even their coolest airplanes couldn't hold a candle to our planes (in therms of looks), like the B-29, B-52, P-51, P-38 and the FU4, just to name a few.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Can someone tell me what the drum looking thing on the American half track is? Winch? Or?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Tabun made mustard gas and the chems we had look elementary. Once we learned how to make it, from the DE scientists, it was actually considered as a means to ending the war with Japan.
View Quote
Sure, but I still don't see it making a difference - by the time they were desperate enough to use it and had enough of it around to use, everyone was already on their borders.  It could be used as a battlefield weapon, but they didn't have a great way to deliver it en mass to, say, allied airfields or cities in britain - V1/2s weren't around in enough quantity to do that all by themselves.  If they had tried to use it earlier, say in 1943, they wouldn't have had enough in production to make a substantial difference, and still wouldn't have a great way to deliver it outside of a battlefield.  Either way, it would result in retaliatory gas attacks on population centers and the battlefield by the allies.  Mustard and phosgene may not be nearly as effective as Tabun, but it doesn't really matter when a shitload of it is being dropped by bomber fleets on Hamburg, Berlin, Cologne, etc, or used en mass on the battlefield by US or Russian artillery.

It would have changed the nature of the war and made it a lot more nasty for everyone involved, sure.  But I don't think it would have substantially changed the outcome or even the timeline, much.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Can someone tell me what the drum looking thing on the American half track is? Winch? Or?
View Quote
It's an unditching roller,so that the nose didn't plow in and get the vehicle stuck when going across ditches or when dealing with steep approach angles.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:26:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
The roller on the front bumper was to help lift (roll) the front end up over embankments, etc. Dunno how well it worked.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What are the tell tale identifiers between an OT-810 and Sd.Kfz. 251?
View Quote
I think they're straight copies.  However, many years ago after the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact, a lot of them hit the market and I suspect all these 251s are actually post war Czech copies.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Love that scene
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:41:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Half tank half truck.... they were my favorite military land vehicle as a kid...
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Sure, but I still don't see it making a difference - by the time they were desperate enough to use it and had enough of it around to use, everyone was already on their borders.  It could be used as a battlefield weapon, but they didn't have a great way to deliver it en mass to, say, allied airfields or cities in britain - V1/2s weren't around in enough quantity to do that all by themselves.  If they had tried to use it earlier, say in 1943, they wouldn't have had enough in production to make a substantial difference, and still wouldn't have a great way to deliver it outside of a battlefield.  Either way, it would result in retaliatory gas attacks on population centers and the battlefield by the allies.  Mustard and phosgene may not be nearly as effective as Tabun, but it doesn't really matter when a shitload of it is being dropped by bomber fleets on Hamburg, Berlin, Cologne, etc, or used en mass on the battlefield by US or Russian artillery.

It would have changed the nature of the war and made it a lot more nasty for everyone involved, sure.  But I don't think it would have substantially changed the outcome or even the timeline, much.
View Quote
it might have halted the d-day landings, lots of troops with winds near them in close proximity. I know some units carried masks and chemical indicators in case of gas attack. but when being shot and shelled doubt anyone was thinking about those things.  or at the very least increased casualties. Either way it would only have prolonged the inevitable, unless they were able to gas the assembly points pre-invasion.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#48]
They look cool, but I would hate to be in a non tarp covered half-track during rain/snow.  Did they even have a heater?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 11:59:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They look cool, but I would hate to be in a non tarp covered half-track during rain/snow.  Did they even have a heater?
View Quote
Yeah.  When Hans and fritz farted.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#50]
I know a guy who has a sdkfz251.  Really cool-looking machine.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top