Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I was at the range about 10 years ago and a guy next to me was shooting a G17 and it was jamming a fair amount.  Naturally it caught my attention as seeing Bigfoot walking in the woods, something you never see.  This went in for a while and I could not help myself and stuck my nose into his business,  he welcomed the help.

I looked at the pistol and with his permission I disassembled and looked, no issues, light lubricatio-still had the copper factory lube, and and I put the pistol back together.  Then with his permission I asked if I could shoot it and he said for sure.  So I loaded up three of his mags with his ammo and dump all three mags with rapid fire, not one issue.  He looked surprised and then I offered some advice on how to grip the pistol and he did that, no more jamming.  To note, the pistol was new, less than 100 rounds and he was not real familiar with semi but pistols let alone Glocks.  He shot a lot more with no jams....just saying....
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Shoulda bought a PSA dagger it's just as good better in this case.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

“it jammed up” And is “bobbling the ammo”

What more do we need to know, lol. It clearly has a defective bobbling reduction device
View Quote

Steve, you hit the nail right on its head!  Clearly, the bobbling initiator reduction device (BIRD) is out of whack.  BIRD is the word...!
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Go PSA, just as guud if not more perfecter
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Steve, you hit the nail right on its head!  Clearly, the bobbling initiator reduction device (BIRD) is out of whack.  BIRD is the word...!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“it jammed up” And is “bobbling the ammo”

What more do we need to know, lol. It clearly has a defective bobbling reduction device

Since you are back can you clear up some questions. We will get that Glock running right.

Is your “new” Glock 17 new old stock or new production for ban states?

Did it come with 10-round mags? (They are trash)

Did you try it with new Glock factory 17-Round mags? (Don’t use Gen2 or earlier mags in Gen3 or later, they actually are shorter in the mag tube)

What did you lube it with? (Don’t use bio lubes like Froglube, fire clean, RandCLP. They get sticky and can induce malfunctions)

Have you tried any other ammo?

What kind of malfunction did you experience? Fail to feed, fail to fire, fail to extract, fail to eject, stovepipe or double feed?

Did the malfunctions occur with multiple magazines?

Did the malfunctions occur randomly, first round from full mag? Last round in mag? Second to last round?

What do you mean when you say “jammed up” ?

What do you mean by “bobbling” ?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't believe you
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife had the same problem. She holds her hand like Mama.  Cause she is a mama.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
after you clean the sand out of your vagina, give the glock to an actual man or woman who isn’t an actual pussy and let them shoot it.  it will be fine.

you, on the other hand, have forgotten the face of your father, and should not ever own firearms, because you are clearly a waste of foreskin.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Not reading all of the posts.

#1 reason Glock jam:   Holding it wrong.

The gun needs to be nested neatly in the crotch between your thumb and index finger before putting your index finger on the trigger.

That said, a lot of people discover only the tip of their index finger touches the trigger safety.
Most people don't like that because they are used to rifles where they can nest the trigger in the crotch of the first index knuckle, or at least the middle of the finger tip.

If you hold it correctly, it won't jam.  "limp wristing" is when the back of the pistol is butted up against the thumb's Metacarpophalangeal (MP) Joint.  It causes your wrist to rotate more than if it was held correctly, and this rotation causes the frame to catch up to the slide and thus not cycle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry about your inability to correctly handle a firearm, OP.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is GD. We don't do logic here.

It had to have been the result of the firing pin not hitting the primer fast enough, thereby causing the powder to burn too slow to properly launch the bullet out of the barrel.
View Quote
I'm not an expert on the matter, and I'm genuinely asking - can't a light strike cause a squib?

The prior two F2F and subsequent jams were light strikes in my case. The gun simply wasn't functioning right.

I put the light strike cartridges in another pistol and fired no probs. I refuse to believe that the ammo was the issue because I was shooting out of the same box with two other pistols that day as well with nary a hiccup.

I will say, the 43x shoots like a dream. Wish mine shot more. Lol
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You bought a new a Gen3 Glock? Did it come with 10-Round mags?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My ammo was Hornady Critical Duty.  The very same ammo was ran through the 5906 and it fed/ejected perfectly... unlike the Glock.  The Glock is a
Gen 3 and the magazine is OEM Glock.  It was the gun and NOT me!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I've owned two Glocks, one 17 and one 19, both used. Both gen 2.

Dumped the 17 at a show, to buy a Hakim. I liked it OK, but never really developed a fondness for it and really didn't need it.

For years, I kept thinking I should get another and finally came across a G19 police trade at one of my regular shops and bought it, along with two beat to shit trade-in mags. I really wanted another 17, but couldn't find one, used or police trade. (wanted a Gen 2. Hate the damn finger grooves on the gen 3)

I've had less failures with both guns combined than the OP did, but you know what that means? Nothing. EVERYONE can put out a lemon. Even Glock.

Hell, my 19 is just a soulless gun. I was mulling over ditching it, but I DO shoot the damn thing better then any other handgun I own, cold. Once I put a few mags through my USPc (in the dreaded .40 caliber), I shoot it better than the Glock.

I did witness the wife's nephew manage to get it to fail to load twice. Chalked that up to the beat to shit used mags I bought with it and made  mental note to pull that aside. Forgot to do that and ended up having to test all three mags from that purchase to figure out which one was the bad mag. I haven't been able to find it. Oh well, it's really just a range toy, anyways.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not an expert on the matter, and I'm genuinely asking - can't a light strike cause a squib?
View Quote

Nope, squib is a powder problem not a firing pin problem
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My ammo was Hornady Critical Duty.  The very same ammo was ran through the 5906 and it fed/ejected perfectly... unlike the Glock.  The Glock is a

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif

A local chain says they have gen 3 17s and 19s, both say they come with standard capacity mags.

I'd have to run by there to check for sure, but that's what their website says.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

A local chain says they have gen 3 17s and 19s, both say they come with standard capacity mags.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif

They exist. No one is disputing that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
after you clean the sand out of your vagina, give the glock to an actual man or woman who isn’t an actual pussy and let them shoot it.  it will be fine.

you, on the other hand, have forgotten the face of your father, and should not ever own firearms, because you are clearly a waste of foreskin.
View Quote

A little harsh. Maybe.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I had a Glock 20 like that. I hand loaded my own hot ammo and also used some cheap over the counter stuff for range only use. I ordered several recoil springs and had to juggle them around based on the load I was shooting. I never hit upon a magic combination that worked for everything and nothing was ever 100% reliable. Disappointing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Reloads?

Must be reloads, because that doesn't sound like Glock perfection.

Seriously, my Gen 4 G26 (back when they were just released) had brass to the face and/or weak ejection.
Took and aftermarket extractor to fix those issues.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Sometimes they just don’t like certain ammo. 115gr blazer brass will choke both of my 19x, but will run fine in everything else I own. Going to 124gr Nato (what the 19x was designed for) fixed the issue.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Send it to them. In 25+ glocks I've owned, I had 2 that had issues. It can happen.

A Glock 33 would not feed correctly. When I compared the barrel against another 33, the feed ramp appeared to be slightly shorter. Which made sense, it explained why the rounds kept nosediving into the bottom of it.

The other was a 20SF, that would not shoot hot 10mm ammo. I tried swapping the recoil spring to different weights, and it just would not feed anything other than bullshit watered down stuff, that was going 50fps faster than .40 ammo.
View Quote

This.
At one time they were very generous with warranty work.
The last time I sent one in (and yes, it happens, see my earlier post about a Gen 4) I was told the warranty is shorter now.
Maybe only 1 year?

If it's new see if they will spring for a shipping label.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sometimes they just don’t like certain ammo. 115gr blazer brass will choke both of my 19x, but will run fine in everything else I own. Going to 124gr Nato (what the 19x was designed for) fixed the issue.
View Quote

If thats the case ( not my personal experience with glocks) it has to go.  I want it to eat shit and premium rounds.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Certainly possible you got a bad one.  

I wouldn’t count any gun out unless I put 100 rounds through it first.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

How old/many rounds through this gen3 gun?  I would bet extractor and or extractor spring.

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was at the range about 10 years ago and a guy next to me was shooting a G17 and it was jamming a fair amount.  Naturally it caught my attention as seeing Bigfoot walking in the woods, something you never see.  This went in for a while and I could not help myself and stuck my nose into his business,  he welcomed the help.

I looked at the pistol and with his permission I disassembled and looked, no issues, light lubricatio-still had the copper factory lube, and and I put the pistol back together.  Then with his permission I asked if I could shoot it and he said for sure.  So I loaded up three of his mags with his ammo and dump all three mags with rapid fire, not one issue.  He looked surprised and then I offered some advice on how to grip the pistol and he did that, no more jamming.  To note, the pistol was new, less than 100 rounds and he was not real familiar with semi but pistols let alone Glocks.  He shot a lot more with no jams....just saying....
View Quote

See here op. Hold the gun correctly and it will function correctly

Limp wristing won’t work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#26]
If Glock had perfection, there would be no new generation Glocks.

What are we at now, Gen5?  Yeah, not perfect.

that said, I own a few and they are great guns.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I say bullshit! Glock hater probably was using garbage ammo. Steel case or a  bad lot of ammo. What about mag issue? Did user disassemble pistol to clean, and then didn’t re-install the operating rod correctly?These pistols are incredibly reliable.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#28]
“Limp wristing” is a crock, and whatever Glock paid the guy who came up with it, it wasn’t enough. The fact that your pistol malfunctions unless gripped in a vise isn’t or shouldn’t be a selling point, it’s a design flaw.  

I don’t know what the OP’s problem is. Some pictures would help.

Glocks in 9mm are acceptably reliable, easy to work on, cheap to support, and durable. They’re a long way from infallible.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:36:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If thats the case ( not my personal experience with glocks) it has to go.  I want it to eat shit and premium rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would eat Tula 115gr just fine, so I’m thinking it might have just been that batch of Blazer Brass. No idea, but I’ve had zero issues since. 124gr NATO is within a dollar or two a box up here in Alaska, so it’s a non issue IMO.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Remove the trigger guard.   That'll fix it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
“Limp wristing” is a crock, and whatever Glock paid the guy who came up with it, it wasn’t enough. The fact that your pistol malfunctions unless gripped in a vise isn’t or shouldn’t be a selling point, it’s a design flaw.  

Glocks in 9mm are acceptably reliable, easy to work on, cheap to support, and durable. They’re a long way from infallible.
View Quote

That's not what limp wristing is. It is when you don't grip high enough on the backstrap, near the tang of the frame, letting the slide come straight back without flipping up during recoil. If you hold low on the grip, aka limp wristing, the gun will move upwards during recoil and prevents a round to be stripped from the magazine or prevents ejection.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

He’s not interested in fixing the problem which indicates the problem does not actually exist.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

The fact that you think “limp wristing” only applies to Glock tells me everything I need to know….
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Plenty of videos on YouTube of people inducing jams with limp writing. Start there and use quality ammo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Every glock I ever fired blew up and killed me to death. Every time.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ff/ac/40/ffac407469b1aaf159cbbbc1030f6a85.jpg

Front fell off
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I bought a brand new Glock Model 17 recently and took it shooting today.  I had 3 FTF's  in 50 rounds and it jammed up the gun.  And here I thought G-locks were incapable of bobbling the ammo being fed to it.

P.S.
I wanted to add that I've had several Glocks and never limp-wristed it.  The gun just jammed up 3 times.  My S&W Model 5906 was also shot and it never missed a beat!  G-locks suck!

View Quote

In the last 24 months I've personally rolled out well over 1000 Glocks to shooters and have had exactly zero issues that weren't related to ammo or the shooter.  

Are you using factory mags?  I assume you are.  Also I've never heard a gun owner say "jammed up the gun."  What does that mean?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#37]
huh no issue with this one.

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://us.glock.com/en/Pistols?filter=9mmluger
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Maybe you were limp wristing it OP? Has anyone mentioned limp wristing it?
View Quote

You know, not one person has mentioned the most likely cause- limp wristing.  You have solved the great mystery!
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ammo?  147 grain?
View Quote

It had a shiny, bronze-colored bottom and a dull, silver metal on top.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If Glock had perfection, there would be no new generation Glocks.

What are we at now, Gen5?  Yeah, not perfect.

that said, I own a few and they are great guns.
View Quote

Perfection is marketing.

There were no generations till Gen 4 and most noticeable changes along the way have been feature changes instead of fixing reliability problems.  That isn't to say there haven't been problems at times such as a large number of finger groove with light rail pistols that could lose one of the rear rails the slide rides on.

Prior to Gen 4, the Pebble frame 17(and a few 19), checkered frames, finger grooves, finger grooves with rails, short frames, and rtf basically had total part commonality within frame size and caliber.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That wasn’t the question, lol
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Has anyone here ever thought that, maybe, FTF or FTE or FFS, was causing the jams?  Of course, it could have been a case of limp wristing, but probably not.  But, as we know, it is always the operator's fault and NOT the G-lock.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:00:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Has anyone here ever thought that, maybe, FTF or FTE or FFS, was causing the jams?  Of course, it could have been a case of limp wristing, but probably not.  But, as we know, it is always the operator's fault and NOT the G-lock.
View Quote

You’ve been asked the type of stoppage. You haven’t responded to questions.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Perfection is marketing.

There were no generations till Gen 4 and most noticeable changes along the way have been feature changes instead of fixing reliability problems.  That isn't to say there haven't been problems at times such as a large number of finger groove with light rail pistols that could lose one of the rear rails the slide rides on.

Prior to Gen 4, the Pebble frame 17(and a few 19), checkered frames, finger grooves, finger grooves with rails, short frames, and rtf basically had total part commonality within frame size and caliber.
View Quote
Pretty bad marketing, IMO.  Nothing is perfect first off, but if they were, then they contradict themselves every time they come out with a new generation.
Why'd you do that Glock -?  If Gen 3 was literal perfection, any change to it (Gen4, Gen5) must be, by definition, less than perfection.  You can't make something "moar perfecter".
That said, I wouldn't mind owning a Glock,  I like that they're well known, reliable, all that. I haven't fired one but I've held them and they felt comfy to me, I know the grip angle bugs some people.   If I ever get a 10mm, I'd probably go with the G20.

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Ammo or limp wrist
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm no English scholar, but physics things are neat!
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ammo?  147 grain?

So, you lied about using Critical Duty. Since Critical Duty is silver cases and copper bullets with red inserts.
What else did you lie about?
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The fact that you think “limp wristing” only applies to Glock tells me everything I need to know….
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay…
The fact that that’s what you read into what I wrote tells me a lot, too. Is it really necessary to caveat every statement with a million clarifications and disclaimers? Should I include a prop 65 warning and a land acknowledgment too? Yes, all short recoil operated pistols can be made to malfunction if you hold them loosely enough and allow them to move too much under recoil, and yes, it is easier to induce this malfunction in Glocks than in a lot of other designs, and no, this is not a point in favor of the Glock design. That “limp-wristing” has gained so much currency as an excuse for this relative susceptibility is however a point in favor of Glock marketing. The OP wasn’t having this problem with other guns if we take him at his word. So if “limp-wristing” was the cause of his problems, but only with his Glock, is the problem that he’s not professional enough to handle a Glock, or that his Glock is failing in what should be normal operating parameters?  Putting ego and brand loyalty aside, the latter is a lot more likely.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top