Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 107
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sheldon:
I ordered the HF one and when it didnt come right away I looked and never saw a confirmation email nor it didnt show on my account on their site......so I ordered the Ebay one since it was cheaper.......then earlier this week the HF one gets delivered........anyone in Southern Ca wanna buy it or I will try and get a refund.....unopened in box still.  $444.98

Still havent had a chance to fire up the Ebay one.
View Quote
By "one," do you mean HF for both?
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I stopped out at the local HF this morning and they had 2 of the 3500 watt inverter generators on hand. So with the 659.99 coupon that I had, one of them came home with me.

I'll get it unboxed and fluid's up this afternoon and see what it will do.

If anyone wants a coupon for 659.99 I've only used 1 of the limit 3. So 2 left. Shoot me a PM.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I stumbled across an app to measure db with your phone:

Sound meter for Android works pretty well, decible x is for iphone.

Since it's a budget generator  thread this guy wins:

$25 Generator From Lowes - The Final Outcome
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I ran my Predator 2000 for another 4.2 hours last night. Smooth and easy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
(snip)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPCW-Kr1ZGE
View Quote
Neat project. And yeah, that guy wins the budget contest.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Desert_AIP:
Originally Posted By Undefined:

If you can live without the cigarette lighter socket, just unscrew it and put a USB charger in its place. They make them in the same standard size. All you have to do is connect the two wires and not reverse the polarity.
You could also use one of the 12V lighter USB inserts.

2x 2.4A USB ports.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-RAVPower-Smallest-Adapter-Charging/dp/B071FHZRQN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1508263744&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+lighter+usb+charger

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/512mAD8jXIL._SL1000_.jpg
I had forgotten about this. The USB adapter seemed a simpler solution. Ordered the exact USB adapter linked above and tried it. No luck with the Q-A and a Samsung S6 as far "fast charge" goes, only standard rate. I tried both sockets, Eco-On, Eco-Off and the original USB again. I have to plug into the 120V w/wart to get the fast rate. Maybe one of the higher amp versions of USB adapter would do it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:40:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Has anybody used the Honda EU2000i with the DC cables?  According to the manual, the DC output is only for charging car batteries, and even then, it doesn't have any way to detect when the battery is done charging so it will overcharge and cause a catastrophe if you don't have something to monitor the battery's charge and manually cut the output before it overcharges.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By two4spooky:
I had forgotten about this. The USB adapter seemed a simpler solution. Ordered the exact USB adapter linked above and tried it. No luck with the Q-A and a Samsung S6 as far "fast charge" goes, only standard rate. I tried both sockets, Eco-On, Eco-Off and the original USB again. I have to plug into the 120V w/wart to get the fast rate. Maybe one of the higher amp versions of USB adapter would do it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If you can live without the cigarette lighter socket, just unscrew it and put a USB charger in its place. They make them in the same standard size. All you have to do is connect the two wires and not reverse the polarity.

2x 2.4A USB ports.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-RAVPower-Smallest-Adapter-Charging/dp/B071FHZRQN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1508263744&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+lighter+usb+charger

To get one for fast charging your Samsung, you need one that does "Quick Charge 2.0" or "Quick Charge 3.0".
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
(snip)...

Did he get a Generac 2k for $25?!
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Hoooooly cow!

I finally caught up on this thread. I’ve been trying to get through it since I found it mid-Sept.

Since starting this thread I’ve cleaned up 90% of Irma’s crap, had an MRI to diagnose not one, not two, not three, but FOUR herniated disks in my lower back, and my wife gave birth to our second son.

Great info here, thanks to all who’ve contributed. I laughed, I cried, and apparently peed in banditman’s Cheerio’s...or someone did. (He seems to be especially curmudgeony in here)

Now I need to convince my wife that the Chicom 7000W gas guzzler that I just bought (499 from HD), is somehow not sufficient, and needs to be supplemented with a 2000W inverter to round out our “independence” supplies. My goal is to be able to be completely independent from all outside assistance for a minimum of two weeks, in the unlikely event that a Cat 5 hits Orlando directly.

The fuel efficiency and low noise of the inverters is my primary motivator here. In the last 15 years, we’ve thrown out the contents of our fridge/freezer four times. Since we shop at Costco, buying our meat in bulk, we could have paid for these generators several times over. The added bonus of portable a/c only sweetens the pot, as we were out of power for 8 days this time, with temps/humidity in the 90’s.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 2:24:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:
View All Quotes
(snip)...

I think he said about $50 for the generator and the repair parts. Jealous of the guy's skills, although at $25 it wouldn't be that hard to tear into it as an educational project if nothing else.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 2:40:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Skibane] [#12]
Originally Posted By GlowInTheDark:
Has anybody used the Honda EU2000i with the DC cables?  According to the manual, the DC output is only for charging car batteries, and even then, it doesn't have any way to detect when the battery is done charging so it will overcharge and cause a catastrophe if you don't have something to monitor the battery's charge and manually cut the output before it overcharges.
View Quote
That's pretty much the rule with all models equipped with a "DC Output" receptacle.

The maximum charging current is too small to recharge most car or trolling motor batteries in a reasonable amount of time, anyway.

Best solution is to buy a conventional AC-powered charger, powering it with your generator's 120VAC output.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Skibane:
The maximum charging current is too small to recharge most car or trolling motor batteries in a reasonable amount of time, anyway.
View Quote
8 amps is as much as you would want to charge a battery with.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
I think he said about $50 for the generator and the repair parts. Jealous of the guy's skills, although at $25 it wouldn't be that hard to tear into it as an educational project if nothing else.
View All Quotes
(snip)...

sure did, that video was part 3 of 3.  Guy has skills.   i would have waited a few weeks for the right parts but he did pretty good and got bonus points with his GF.  

His experience with generac parallels mine.   I wonder why he didn't just buy it and send it back for a new one?
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:11:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hkx3] [#15]
Ran my HF 2000W another 6 hours yesterday.

Thats a confirmed 38 hours of run time.  3x oil change.

Will check oil tonight and see if the "exhaust" smell is back, or if that was temporary.

New news, is with ECO Throttle off, fuel consumption seems very close to "on"

ETA:  Yesterdays load was 2x LED Flood Panels, 1 Small Fan, 1 BT Speaker, and circular saw as needed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 4:49:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#16]

sure did, that video was part 3 of 3.  Guy has skills.   i would have waited a few weeks for the right parts but he did pretty good and got bonus points with his GF.  

His experience with generac parallels mine.   I wonder why he didn't just buy it and send it back for a new one?
View Quote
"and THAT'S how we do things here .... on the porch."

pretty funny
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
Using a completely discharged Group 31 trolling motor battery as an example (115 AH rated capacity), a 8 amp constant charge rate would require over 14 hours of generator run-time to bring the battery back to a full state of charge.

By contrast, a 3- or 4-step AC-powered charger could accomplish the same thing in just a few hours.

During the bulk absorption phase, a typical 3- or 4-step recharging process will supply up to 20 percent (0.2C) of the battery's rated amp-hour rating (i.e., 20 amps for a 100 AH battery).

Some AGM batteries can safely accept up to 0.5C.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:45:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Desert_AIP] [#18]

View Quote
Battery capacity determines max charge rate.
Usually C/10 to C/20 for lead acid.

A group 24 is around 80Ah.
A group 31 is 125 and could take 12-24A.

AGM batteries can accept much higher charge rates.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Some AGM batteries can.

Not all.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Predator 2K or 3.5K. Sell me on both.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 4:34:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#21]
View All Quotes

2x 2.4A USB ports.

Monoprice has a dual 2.4A (4.8A total) adapter on sale today, says it can charge Samsung and Apple devices at full/fast rate.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13412
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By M4-AK:
View Quote
It's been discussed in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Engineer5:
View All Quotes
I've only got a couple hours on my 3500 and am happy.
Oiled it up and gave it a couple pulls to get the oil splashed around. Filled it up with gas, turned the knob, two light pulls to get the gas moving, then gave it a single pull and it fired right up.
Nice and quiet. I could probably have a normal conversation while standing next to the unit. I plan on getting it some more hours on the clock this weekend.

ok, back to sell you on both. Do it. You know you want to.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Got mine delivered from backorder last week, I've now bought three generators this year because of this place.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I've run my 2000 for about 10 hours now and it has been flawless thus far.  Very quiet, easy to use, and plenty of power for my needs.  Just changed the oil for the first time last weekend.  First 10 hours made the oil pretty nasty, but I suspect that the oil won't be quite as bad when I change it after another 10.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Having trouble figuring out what interlock kit I need. Looking to run a single 2k watt generator into my breaker box.

Breaker box is  square D qoc16u series g1.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By dpm12:
Having trouble figuring out what interlock kit I need. Looking to run a single 2k watt generator into my breaker box.

Breaker box is  square D qoc16u series g1.
View Quote
Post a pic of your box with the cover off showing the works so folks can helpAttachment Attached File
.  Sounds like what I just did. Breakers needed to be adjacent to each other in the case of my box. 

I know, spaghetti. It was mostly done before I was born in 1969. 
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:02:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dpm12] [#28]
Am I wasting time running a 2k watt generator into the whole house? Gas heat, gas stove. Only things I am looking to run are fridge, TV and heat in power outage. Figuring 2 out of 3 should work while the other is off. Nothing but LED bulbs so low draw anywhere else. Want to stick with the 2k watt to keep other costs to a minimum, will have to run 75 ft extension to make it work.

https://imgur.com/a/tjI2B
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 10:19:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#29]
My plan for my 2k is lights with wall switches, charge the phones and computer, run the wifi and a TV or two. Heat would be the fireplace with campout cooking and bbq. 

ETA: The power inlet / interlock is generally the same, you can always upgrade the genny for more power, to a point. I did a 30a inlet. 
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Regarding maintenance schedule on the 80cc side-plug engine(Undefined's term) in the 2K watt units, there looks to be small differences depending on brand. For checking valve clearance both 100 and 300 hours show up with some saying check after first 50 hours of operation. With the slant engine access looked easy enough plus I was curious quality wise as to what is inside. So...    
    Checking is simple enough: remove spark plug, find piston's top-dead-center(TDC) of the compression stroke(both valves closed) and check intake clearance. Pull on the starter rope again to let the piston down ~1/4" or so to get past the automatic compression release and check the exhaust.
  Easy breezy. Adjusting was a little more tedious. Especially on my unit, seems they used the same impact wrench to tighten the lock nuts as was used on the spark plug. Bone heads.
    Anyways, if you like to tinker with mechanical things then checking/adjusting the valve clearance on the 80cc engine is not too bad. These engines on these budget inverters are pretty simple and I would think the larger units similar. It started first pull afterwards.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 1:04:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Am I wasting time running a 2k watt generator into the whole house?
View Quote
No, the convenience and safety factor of having regular lights working, and not having to deal with extension cords plus having the normal home electrical system grounding definitely makes it worth it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TacticalHeater:
I'd really like to see side by side to a Honda.
View Quote
Lots of good YouTube vids on them. 
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
Do you want portability or more power?
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Regarding maintenance schedule on the 80cc side-plug engine(Undefined's term) in the 2K watt units, there looks to be small differences depending on brand. For checking valve clearance both 100 and 300 hours show up with some saying check after first 50 hours of operation. With the slant engine access looked easy enough plus I was curious quality wise as to what is inside. So... https://i.imgur.com/BOfZbzi.jpg    
    Checking is simple enough: remove spark plug, find piston's top-dead-center(TDC) of the compression stroke(both valves closed) and check intake clearance. Pull on the starter rope again to let the piston down ~1/4" or so to get past the automatic compression release and check the exhaust.
https://i.imgur.com/PsKQfIV.jpg  https://i.imgur.com/ZLS0o75.jpg Easy breezy. Adjusting was a little more tedious. Especially on my unit, seems they used the same impact wrench to tighten the lock nuts as was used on the spark plug. Bone heads.
    Anyways, if you like to tinker with mechanical things then checking/adjusting the valve clearance on the 80cc engine is not too bad. These engines on these budget inverters are pretty simple and I would think the larger units similar. It started first pull afterwards.
View Quote
Impressed with the cast and machined rockers! My Honda eu2000i has rinky dink stamped steel rockers and plastic (Nylon?) cam drive gear. Though yours it's a solid older pushrod design it certainly looks more robust than my OHC Honda.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Am I wasting time running a 2k watt generator into the whole house? Gas heat, gas stove. Only things I am looking to run are fridge, TV and heat in power outage. Figuring 2 out of 3 should work while the other is off. Nothing but LED bulbs so low draw anywhere else. Want to stick with the 2k watt to keep other costs to a minimum, will have to run 75 ft extension to make it work.

https://imgur.com/a/tjI2B
View Quote
Bumping this image. Hoping for input on what interlock I need.

Thanks guys, this has been a very informative thread.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
Fixed the image link for you

Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#37]

Fixed the image link for you

https://i.imgur.com/i3DeJkQ.jpg
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:
Impressed with the cast and machined rockers! My Honda eu2000i has rinky dink stamped steel rockers and plastic (Nylon?) cam drive gear. Though yours it's a solid older pushrod design it certainly looks more robust than my OHC Honda.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:
Regarding maintenance schedule on the 80cc side-plug engine(Undefined's term) in the 2K watt units, there looks to be small differences depending on brand. For checking valve clearance both 100 and 300 hours show up with some saying check after first 50 hours of operation. With the slant engine access looked easy enough plus I was curious quality wise as to what is inside. So... https://i.imgur.com/BOfZbzi.jpg    
https://i.imgur.com/PsKQfIV.jpg  https://i.imgur.com/ZLS0o75.jpg Easy breezy. Adjusting was a little more tedious. Especially on my unit, seems they used the same impact wrench to tighten the lock nuts as was used on the spark plug. Bone heads.
Heresy!
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 11:57:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#39]

View All Quotes

In another thread, I just saw this link posted: https://www.interlockkit.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1829

Top row, on the right has kit

Square D Kit K-5010 (125-200 Amp Main)  
Our Price: $149.95

This Interlock Kit mounts to Square D electrical panels and requires:

• Horizontal (left-right) throw
    • QO & Homeline panels
    • One-handle breaker
    • Centered over both columns
    • Distance from columns: 1¼ to 1¾" (above)
    Check some measurements and maybe call them and even email them that picture. I think "centered over both columns" is key there. Good luck.

Link Posted: 11/2/2017 12:23:22 PM EDT
    [#40]
    Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

In another thread, I just saw this link posted: https://www.interlockkit.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1829

Check some measurements and maybe call them and even email them that picture. I think "centered over both columns" is key there. Good luck.

https://cdn3.volusion.com/laezb.gkpek/v/vspfiles/photos/K-5010-2T.jpg?1459922742
    View Quote
    98% certain I have 100 amp service, through that link thinking it is this one. Going to measure tonight.

Pricey.... https://www.interlockkit.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=K-5110
    Link Posted: 11/2/2017 12:53:02 PM EDT
    [#41]

https://cdn3.volusion.com/laezb.gkpek/v/vspfiles/photos/K-5010-2T.jpg?1459922742
    View All Quotes

This Interlock Kit mounts to Square D electrical panels and requires:

• Horizontal (left-right) throw
      • QO & Homeline panels
      • One-handle breaker
      • Centered over both columns
      • Distance from columns: 1¼ to 1¾" (above)

Might try these guys as well, they look a little more affordable.

https://natramelec.com/genswitch/sd/sd3/sd3.htm  @ $69
      Link Posted: 11/3/2017 6:54:36 AM EDT
      [#42]
      WOOT.com has Firman brand generators on sale today.
      Link Posted: 11/3/2017 12:45:18 PM EDT
      [Last Edit: jefflebowski] [#43]
      Finally! My local store got these in stock before my online order was fulfilled.

Attachment Attached File
      Link Posted: 11/3/2017 4:20:13 PM EDT
      [#44]
      Converted my B&S generator to natural gas. Now need to leak test and see how it runs.

Attachment Attached File
      Attachment Attached File
      Link Posted: 11/3/2017 5:27:49 PM EDT
      [#45]

Heresy!
      View Quote
      I call em like I see em. Here is a eu2000i rocker.

Needless to say I was more than a little disappointed the first time I did a valve adjustment. No valve cover gasket either, just PITA to remove RTV.
      Link Posted: 11/4/2017 3:28:55 AM EDT
      [#46]
      View Quote
      same size engine as the champion https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100158-3100-watt-inverter/

171cc and comes with a 3 year warranty not a bad deal
      Link Posted: 11/4/2017 4:09:45 PM EDT
      [Last Edit: danpass] [#47]
      same size engine as the champion https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100158-3100-watt-inverter/

View All Quotes

Dang, that's good:

Firman W03083 Whisper Series 3000/3300 Watt Inverter Generator
      $599.99 [$999.00; 40% off List Price]
      Link Posted: 11/4/2017 5:48:13 PM EDT
      [Last Edit: Skibane] [#48]
      ^ ...and also includes wireless remote start.

Not too shabby!

As a brand, Firman is not nearly as well established as Champion (for example, their website is "still under construction"), but their products and prices sure are enticing.
      Link Posted: 11/7/2017 7:52:53 PM EDT
      [#49]
      Has anyone found a source of parts for these predator style units?
      Link Posted: 11/9/2017 11:07:35 AM EDT
      [Last Edit: gman82001] [#50]
      Attachment Attached File
      Just an FYI  for Black Friday guys I jumped on this last year and made a killing using some points and then a rebate through active junky at the time. I’m going to grab me my 2nd one this year and the piece to link them together.
      Page / 107
      Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
      Top Top