Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:44:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Just kicked it on last night for the first time. Was pretty hot the night before for sleeping.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's at 65f right now in my house, that is VERY comfortable to me. The highest it has gotten so far is 68f during the day. That is also VERY comfortable to me. Tomorrow the GD utility goes to 150% pricing from 2pm to 7pm to F over their residential customers due to their abject failure to build actual reliable new electric generation and the state shares in that blame because of ''green energy bullshit like wind and solar'' they pushed. It really F's over seniors who have no choice to kick the A/C on, especially in trailers or modular housing.

I am VERY smart in how I manage temps and still remain comfortable. Yes it takes a bit of planning and looking at day/night/temps and humidity but I save a lot of coin doing so and seldom ever hit 70f in my house.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never understood people that choose to be uncomfortable in their own homes to save a few $$$  

Isn't there studies that show it is actually cheaper to keep your hvac system on and running vs shutting it off and causing huge changes in temperature?

It's at 65f right now in my house, that is VERY comfortable to me. The highest it has gotten so far is 68f during the day. That is also VERY comfortable to me. Tomorrow the GD utility goes to 150% pricing from 2pm to 7pm to F over their residential customers due to their abject failure to build actual reliable new electric generation and the state shares in that blame because of ''green energy bullshit like wind and solar'' they pushed. It really F's over seniors who have no choice to kick the A/C on, especially in trailers or modular housing.

I am VERY smart in how I manage temps and still remain comfortable. Yes it takes a bit of planning and looking at day/night/temps and humidity but I save a lot of coin doing so and seldom ever hit 70f in my house.

What’s humidity at?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A/C has been running for months. Since February.
View Quote

Pretty much the same here.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
This Florida man is LOL

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#6]
You are joking, right?  We typically have winter over one weekend in February
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Tested it in April and turned it on last night. Maybe turn it off next week.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#8]
LOL, I live in FL. It runs almost year round
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:15:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Still holding out myself. My house has a huge amount of thermal mass [older house built in the 50's] so it takes a long time to heat up. However, it's been pretty warm and it'll stay there for the next week or so hovering around 90f so the time is coming soon where I'll need to kick it on. Still 66f inside so it's a nice transition walking inside after being in the heat. Warmish nights are what kill me, if it drops to the high 50's then I could likely never run my air all summer, however, get a couple high 60 or low 70f nights and I can't pull the temps down enough to combat the day time heat.
View Quote

The only time mine is not in use here in central Florida is for a few weeks in January.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:16:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Bitch, I'm in Texas. This AC was running in February!
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Nope but I sure thought about it when it was 85° during the day and 60° at night for a while.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Not yet.  But having dropped my largest western shade tree that protected the house I'm guessing it won't be long.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Gonna be in the 90's here for the foreseeable future with little if any rain in sight...
Luckily the nights are still coolish leave the window open a little then get up early and open them all up to save
up some cool air is what we do.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:22:53 AM EDT
[#14]
No.
Temps here are still only in the high 40's in the morning,  and high 70's in the afternoon with low humidity. Very comfortable dewpoint.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:27:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Ac has been running for a couple now.  Heat pump runs year around.

65 degrees is freezing for me in my house.

I can’t take the 70-71 degrees the wife and kids like it at after a hot day at work.  I’ve got to sit on the porch for a bit.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a wife with men-o-pause, too
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Uhh….of course lol. For months.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm not putting it in this year.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Lol
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I live in Florida so the AC has been on for months.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#22]
LOL we fired it up in Feb for a couple of days, when it hit 88 and 90.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A/C has been running for months.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#24]
sure, geo heat pump. If it gets into the 80s at all (and it has a bunch), we turn it on. Efficient enough there really is no reason to hesitate.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#25]
It’s going to be 93* today. You’re damn right it’s been running.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
A/C has been running for months.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#27]
I live in North Alabama where we go through all 4 seasons about 9 times a year. So yes lol. There were a few weeks this year I was cycling heat/air once a day lol.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Been going for over a month now. It gets hot in Kansas fast in the spring.

You’d better have good heat and air to live here, comfortably.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Laughs in Florida :)
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes, it's run a couple of days, then we went back to heating season

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#31]
No not yet in Vermont.We are going to have 2 warm days it might get turned on.I have central air but it runs on 220v and do not need to cool extra bedrooms.Ductless air is 110 and cools my house just fine.My electric bill barely goes up in the summer but my firewood bill makes up for it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#32]
My heater hasn't run all year. It's set at 65.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Months ago.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I’ve been turning it on at night, since my wife is out of town for the week.  A couple of mornings there’s been a little chill in the air, so I turn the fireplace on for a little while.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Yes.  Mine is a heat pump, so it air conditions the outdoors during cold weather.  It's very rare that there is a day that it doesn't run at least for a little while in heating or cooling mode.  Sometimes in spring and fall it will run in heating mode in the morning and cooling by the evening time (thermostat set for 68 heat and 75 cool) because our weather can change rapidly, and it tends to make people sick when the temp keeps going back and forth from hot to cold outside.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Two days so far I've closed up the house and turned it on at lunchtime, then turned it off and opened back up at dusk.  Will probably end up doing that again this afternoon.

The new few days are going to be hotter so I'll probably just leave it on after this weekend.

We've had a surprisingly cool spring so far this year and I'm not complaining.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#37]
I’m not sure where you live, but I’ve had the A/C on since January in the south
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#38]
In Mississippi? Hell hole of the south ? Yeah it been on off and on even through our so called winter lol
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Northern NV has been unusually cool this year.
We're not even watering the trees yet.
Thunderstorms every afternoon, mountains still filled with snow.
I actually like having to put on a jacket in the mornings to take my dogs on hike.
Its all changing soon but it has been refreshing
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#40]
I live in Texas.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Lol
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#42]
A couple of times.  We've had a couple spells in the upper 80's and 90's and I ran it for a couple days once the house heated up.

That was a while ago because everything cooled down again and we got some nice lower 50's and 40's nights, but today it's going to run again.  It's annoying, but the premenopausal people (wife) complain so much it's unbelievable.  It could be 68F in the house and suddenly it's "...so hot in here turn on the AC!"

"You just got back from a 5 mile jog hon, and now you are doing your teenage kids laundry and cleaning their bathrooms and picking up their clothes.  Maybe ask them to do that for themselves and take a cool shower?"

"NO!  I'm dying!"

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:44:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Turned it on a few weeks ago
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I never understood people that choose to be uncomfortable in their own homes to save a few $$$  

Isn't there studies that show it is actually cheaper to keep your hvac system on and running vs shutting it off and causing huge changes in temperature?
View Quote
It depends on exterior temp, how long you leave it off, and how aggressively you set it.

When we have lows of 55F and highs of 85F, I'd never need to run it.  If the indoor temperature drops to 64F overnight, it rarely heats up to 72F before evening.

Who said anything about being uncomfortable?  When the outside humidity gets oppressive and the average daily temp is 80F+ I'm going to run it, but I'm plenty comfortable at 77F.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Northeast Ohio, we turned it on (for the first time this year) yesterday.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:45:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

About the same for us here in the swamps
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This.

My brother is a multimillionaire and his house is a sweat box in the warm months and freezing in the Winter. And he lives in the South. No idea how he doesn't get mold.

I have been running my AC for months. In Michigan. Sometimes heat and AC in the same day, with the window open for part of that same day, sometimes during heat, sometimes during AC, sometimes neither.

Our other house is in the South. I'm there this week. We often switch right from heat to AC and back this time of year.

Be comfortable.

If you legit don't have the money, I get it. Do what you have to do. But a lot of people (here more than anywhere else I talk to people) seem to take some kind of perverse, Depression baby, Shanty Irish pride in doing stupid shit like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

My brother is a multimillionaire and his house is a sweat box in the warm months and freezing in the Winter. And he lives in the South. No idea how he doesn't get mold.

I have been running my AC for months. In Michigan. Sometimes heat and AC in the same day, with the window open for part of that same day, sometimes during heat, sometimes during AC, sometimes neither.

Our other house is in the South. I'm there this week. We often switch right from heat to AC and back this time of year.

Be comfortable.

If you legit don't have the money, I get it. Do what you have to do. But a lot of people (here more than anywhere else I talk to people) seem to take some kind of perverse, Depression baby, Shanty Irish pride in doing stupid shit like that.
It's fine if you want to run yours 24/7 and keep the thermostat at a rock solid 72F 365 days a year, but there is no way that it is going to actually be cheaper than letting it flex consistent with the seasonal and daily changes.

There are studies that show that "Away" intelligent settings on smart thermostats may be counterproductive with certain systems and under certain circumstances, but it's not a blanket reality.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Not getting hot yet…about 75° outside.  I can mostly avoid it if I get the wife to keep the doors shut.  Whole house fan and open windows upstairs at night gets house to about 65-68, then close it up and ride out the heat.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#50]
fucking yankees
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top