Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a lack of expectations and accountability at home from parents.  Then when schools try to hold students accountable and to expectations, said parents throw a shit fit for being mean and cruel to their precious Littles.

I'm a teacher and I have kids with several Fs right now.  The school already took away their privilege to play sports.  Yet every day, without fail, there they are talking to their friends about how they played Fortnite or stayed up until 1 AM on snap chat or tik tok.  If I had Fs as a kid my playstation would never be seen again.  

Until measures are put in place to either hold parents just as accountable as their children for their education or force parents to do so, this problem will not get better.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been a teacher for about a decade, and I've seen that and more.

I cannot identify the problem, because there is not a problem: there are many small things. The biggest problem is our culture.

Most of the teachers I've worked with are dedicated, care about their vocation, and want their students to learn. Unfortunately, the other factors in the system work against us.

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone interested in a serious, thorough critique of the issue should read some JTG.

Most illuminating:
Attachment Attached File

Most insightful:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Staying out of the classroom and at home for 1.5 - 2 years because of Chinafloo didn't help
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This map should embarrass the hell out of every conservative/republican:

https://www.drivecms.com/uploads/mcelroytutoring.com/Screen%20Shot%202023-11-20%20at%207.05.18%20PM.png
View Quote

I'd wager that's more likely a result of a lot of high iq talent leaving small states for elite universities and later, high paying jobs, than an indictment of their school systems

That's the general trend with these kinda things right, hinterland smarties go to the empire's centers of power, right

eta: after skimming the thread, I was expecting more baghdad bob, "you're alive during the greatest time, there are no serious problems that can't be solved with the right policy!"
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Try teaching high school chemistry to whole classes that have no understanding of fractions, ratio or proportions.

View Quote

I know those and I bombed chemistry.... several times

Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Staying out of the classroom and at home for 1.5 - 2 years because of Chinafloo didn't help
View Quote

We did online classes for 3 months that spring and we were back in the classroom doing a full class schedule plus online classes that fall.

It was hell on teachers.  Broke lots of people.  Damn near broke me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It started failing the taxpayers and teachers several decades past.

My measure of a teacher's college is proportional to the number of afternoons and nights available for partying, not hitting the books.  It's seven as near as I can determine.

When I was a kid, teachers educated in Arkansas came to Southern Missouri for better pay.  They were always considered poor teachers, warranted or not. That was more than warranted for one that had been a college football coach in Arkansas; useless teacher, but his real job was scouting football teams.

A few came from Oklahoma, but not many made it easy of Springfield.

View Quote

I noticed the trend in the late nineties.  The young mostly female teachers were all regulars at the local bars, they were smoking dope ten steps out the door of the bars and going right back in smelling of skunk.  They never changed their college ways.   Apparently the school was also indifferent to their staff racking up the DWIs.   When the teacher lacks maturity and responsibility how could they impart that to children?   What I saw was they were there for the paycheck and benes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No.  Burr is a hero for his actions against Hamilton.  I teach that portion of our history with a favorable lean towards the Anti-Federalists, with a nudge that some of the Federalist ideas were not ideal, but necessary for a functioning federalist republic.

I’m much more subtle in my nationalism, more of what made America great and how we need to get back to it.  Heavy on Western Civ and what made us so successful over the centuries and how America was the natural heir to that greatness.  Let’s not squander it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nationalist .. you mean like hamiltonian?

No.  Burr is a hero for his actions against Hamilton.  I teach that portion of our history with a favorable lean towards the Anti-Federalists, with a nudge that some of the Federalist ideas were not ideal, but necessary for a functioning federalist republic.

I’m much more subtle in my nationalism, more of what made America great and how we need to get back to it.  Heavy on Western Civ and what made us so successful over the centuries and how America was the natural heir to that greatness.  Let’s not squander it.

Oh thank goodness.

Now I can stop planning how to go "borrow" burr's handgun.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anyone interested in a serious, thorough critique of the issue should read some JTG.

Most illuminating:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252069/123490340_jpg-3139177.JPG

Most insightful:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/252069/51HEH7eOmNL_jpg-3139176.JPG
View Quote

I was doing quite well listening tot he audiobook version of that until he laid that nasty pile of poop about calvinism and etc. in a bit of obvious emotional flailing.

I need to get over that and finish the book.

I have a couple by rushdooney on the topic, IDK if they are good or not, they're in my forever long pipeline of audiobooks to do.  I have heard that they pretty much kicked off the modern age of homeschooling among the conservative reformed christians though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This is exactly right.

She says:
You cannot expect us to teach our curriculum efficiently when students are grade levels behind.

There is only one reason the kids are having these problems, because her coworkers aren't doing their jobs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe that teacher needs to fail her students from attending the next grade

This is exactly right.

She says:
You cannot expect us to teach our curriculum efficiently when students are grade levels behind.

There is only one reason the kids are having these problems, because her coworkers aren't doing their jobs

You can fail kids and the administration will still advance them to the next grade.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#12]
That explains many credit scores these days.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Kids are people. Just shorter.

People excuse them too easily.

Bring back the ass whoppins and accountability.

I was a teacher. They're getting stupider with the advance of technology. The ones that aren't retarded and disciplined enough to be focused and learn will do great. They are our future.

The rest are heading downhill like Indian food flying through your colon.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:01:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can’t do anything of those things and I have a Masters degree
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No child left behind.

As a parent with kids in school, we should be separating out the dummies and the violent ones from the well-behaved kids who just want to learn.  And the really smart overachievers should have advanced classes.
View Quote

Left in every child’s behind.

That’s what it really is.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:10:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Stupid people raising stupid kids. All of these things usually make perfect sense when you meet the parents. You couldn’t pay me any amount of money to be a teacher.
View Quote

Parents, yeah right, most are raised by the "mother", the father has been excluded by court order.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:13:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe that teacher needs to fail her students from attending the next grade
View Quote

If a student fails the admin comes at you and crucifies you for not doing enough to help the student. Then a grade placement committee will pass them anyway.

High school history teacher. It’s truly sad the way the students are. We are fukt!!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:14:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Parents, yeah right, most are raised by the "mother", the father has been excluded by court order.
View Quote

So far as I can tell, most of them are raised by TikTok.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:18:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's 100% parenting.  Kids learn most things at home and then fill in some gaps at school.  

It's amazing what kids can do when you give them that individual attention as a parent.  Read to your kids, do math with your kids, do sports with your kids.  They are just little sponges at that age and can learn virtually anything if you have the patience to teach them.  

I think my kids have been read to 99% of the nights of their lives at this point (5 and 7) with only a few rare nights where we skip it.  Not a surprise that they both test in the 90th percentile or higher on everything.

That works for anything, not just reading, writing, and math.  There's some kids out there with incredible talents and behind every one of them is a patient parent that put in the work.

View Quote

Yup. Before I went to kindergarten I was reading and writing, double digit addition and subtraction thanks to my grandpa. We were building simple woodworking projects, playing baseball, all sorts of things. Then I went to public school with the simpletons and kinda regressed. But I was light years ahead of my peers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:21:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No child left behind.
As a parent with kids in school, we should be separating out the dummies and the violent ones from the well-behaved kids who just want to learn.  And the really smart overachievers should have advanced classes.
View Quote
We should, but the commies, leftists, and teachers unions won't allow that.   DIVERSITY!
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:24:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Sounds a lot like the too long didn't read crowd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Raised on cell phones... most have the attention span and critical thinking skills of a gnat.
Sounds a lot like the too long didn't read crowd.
Yeah, we get a lot of that here.   And some of the TL is not long at all.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:37:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Let me fix this.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:47:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Try reading the 2nd book in lewis's space trilogy.

The sentences are complete and coherent... and you have NO idea what is going on.
View Quote

I love the idea of the impossible asshole book.

Have you tried Infinite Jest, or Gravity's Rainbow?  Such asshole books.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:43:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My daughter’s class was the first in the district that didn’t have to do spelling tests. Vocabulary tests were tossed also. Sentence structure and punctuation? Nobody got time for that.
View Quote

insert SweetBrown.jpg
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:58:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This was on another site. From what I gather in the thread, this is a normal high school not in a poor area.

I teach high school. Age range 15-18 years old. I have seen students who can't do the following:

-Read at grade level. Some come into my classroom at a 3rd/4th grade reading level. There are some students who cannot sound out words.

-Write a complete sentence. They don't capitalize the first letter of the sentence or the I's. They also don't add punctuation. I have seen a student write one whole page essay without a period.

-Spell simple words.

-Add or subtract double-digits. For example, they can't solve 27-13 in their head. They also cannot do it on paper. They need a calculator.

-Know their multiplication tables.

-Round

-Graph

-Understand the concept of negative.

-Understand percentages.

-Solve one-step variable equations. For example, if I tell them "2x = 8. Solve for x," they can't solve it. They would subtract by 2 on both sides instead of dividing by 2.

-Take notes.

-Follow an example. They have a hard time transferring the patterns that they see in an example to a new problem.

-No research skills. The phrases they use to google are too vague when they search for information. For example, if I ask them to research the 5 types of chemical reactions, they only type in "reactions" in Google. When I explain that Google cannot read minds and they have to be very specific with their wording, they just stare at me confused. But even if their search phrases are good, they do not click on the links. They just read the excerpt Google provided them. If the answer is not in the excerpts, they give up.

-Just because they know how to use their phones does not mean they know how to use a computer. They are not familiar with common keyboard shortcuts. They also cannot type properly. Some students type using their index fingers.

These are just some things I can name at the top of my head. I'm sure there are a few that I missed here.

Now, as a teacher, I try my best to fill in the gaps. But I want the general public to understand that when the gap list is this big, it is nearly impossible to teach my curriculum efficiently. This is part of the reason why teachers are quitting in droves. You ask teachers to do the impossible and then vilify them for not achieving it. You cannot expect us to teach our curriculum efficiently when students are grade levels behind. Without a good foundation, students cannot learn more complex concepts. I thought this was common sense, but I guess it is not (based on admin's expectations and school policies).

I want to add that there are high-performing students out there. However, from my experience, the gap between the "gifted/honors" population and the "general" population has widened significantly. Either you have students that perform exceptionally well or you have students coming into class grade levels behind. There are rarely students who are in between.
View Quote

But they will be the first to tell you what to do, and how to do it, right?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:17:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When everyone is a failure we are equal. Why do you hate equality?
View Quote

Equality is where everyone has the same opportunity.

This is equity - where everyone has the same outcome.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:20:11 AM EDT
[#27]

You ask teachers to do the impossible and then vilify them for not achieving it.
View Quote

When the kids entered the school system they weren't grades behind. At some point their school and teachers failed them. Not holding teachers to account is how later grades of teachers are put into this position. Clearly, not holding teachers accountable isn't working.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:25:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's a lack of expectations and accountability at home from parents.  Then when schools try to hold students accountable and to expectations, said parents throw a shit fit for being mean and cruel to their precious Littles.

I'm a teacher and I have kids with several Fs right now.  The school already took away their privilege to play sports.  Yet every day, without fail, there they are talking to their friends about how they played Fortnite or stayed up until 1 AM on snap chat or tik tok.  If I had Fs as a kid my playstation would never be seen again.  

Until measures are put in place to either hold parents just as accountable as their children for their education or force parents to do so, this problem will not get better.
View Quote

What portion of your students would you say are negatively effected by their parenting?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

SC is really doing great, despite really difficult demographics and poverty in places.

They're also adding classical liberal arts (classes in epistemology, ethics, and rhetoric) and personal finance as a requirement to the curriculum this year, they've always had government/founding documents and economics as requirements.

Plus we have the three governor's schools for G/T and they assigned classes by test scores in grade school.

Education Lottery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is interesting:

They also signed anti-immigration laws so strict the fed gov sued them, they’re Pro Gun, and want to reduce spending on entitlement programs.

SC is really doing great, despite really difficult demographics and poverty in places.

They're also adding classical liberal arts (classes in epistemology, ethics, and rhetoric) and personal finance as a requirement to the curriculum this year, they've always had government/founding documents and economics as requirements.

Plus we have the three governor's schools for G/T and they assigned classes by test scores in grade school.

Education Lottery.
thank Nikki Haley… she was the governor that steered SC away from that common core shit.  

Also refused to enact any gun legislation when there a spate of school shootings.  Also enacted anti immigration laws so strict Obama DOJ sues her (and lost).  Her record of what she supported/signed is pretty solid compared to the other primary candidates record of saying what people want to hear then not doing it…

Just sayin…
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:38:52 AM EDT
[#30]
My wife taught college until just last year. It truly is as bad as they say; the more sensational news headlines aren’t cherry-picking statistical outliers for clicks.

We have never seen a more intellectually and emotionally crippled generation than the one graduating high school right now. The effects are going to be damn near apocalyptic
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:19:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Mid 30s here, the only true thing I was “taught” in school was how to take the end of the year state tests to pass onto the next grade. 75% of school outside of proper grammar, spelling and intermediate math skills I haven’t used in my pretty successful career. Not once has my job asked me what day Roe v Wade was taken into effect or anything calculus. Kids today have a calculator in their pockets, as do we, how many times have you sat on a scratch pad and worked out a full math problem or did you just go to your calculator app?
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Parents have abdicated their responsibility to educate their spawn in most of those cases of underperforming students.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Uh... sir, are you suggesting that we should monitor teachers and how their classes are performing???!?!?!  These teachers are HEROS!  THE FRONT LINES!!!!!!!  Pass the kids no matter what so that these ABSOLUTE HEROS do not look bad!
View Quote

The parents are heroes too.
So many heroes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Has she tried having sex with them?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I teach high school. Age range 15-18 years old. I have seen students who can't do the following:

-Read at grade level. Some come into my classroom at a 3rd/4th grade reading level. There are some students who cannot sound out words.

-Write a complete sentence. They don't capitalize the first letter of the sentence or the I's. They also don't add punctuation. I have seen a student write one whole page essay without a period.

-Spell simple words.

View Quote
I've seen this on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I can't do anything of those things and I have a Masters degree
View Quote
Hopefully you got your student loans paid off by FJB...
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:02:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I can’t do anything of those things and I have a Masters degree
View Quote

Obviously, education does not impart intelligence. The Other Resident here dropped out of High School in her Freshman year so, in reality one could say she has only an 8th Grade education. She can do a lot of things on her tablet and phone, including navigation and general web surfing, but not much in word processing. She's also good at basic math and a whiz at balancing checkbooks.

My 40ish stepsister recently got a Master's and a teaching certificate. She put out a memo regarding the family cabin that was, in my High School educated (and 50 years of "continuing education") opinion, a piss-poor effort at communication and organization. My dad and stepmom thought it was OK. So, the stupidity is not confined to the just the youngest generation. Seems to me that society in general has regressed intelligence-wise. I gave lil' Sis a "D" grade on her memo.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Screentime is more important than school.

They keep ignoring that, so do parents.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Mid 30s here, the only true thing I was “taught” in school was how to take the end of the year state tests to pass onto the next grade. 75% of school outside of proper grammar, spelling and intermediate math skills I haven’t used in my pretty successful career. Not once has my job asked me what day Roe v Wade was taken into effect or anything calculus. Kids today have a calculator in their pockets, as do we, how many times have you sat on a scratch pad and worked out a full math problem or did you just go to your calculator app?
View Quote

We played dominoes the other night and I kept a running tally for everyone. I add everything up at the end to make it more exciting and it was basically a race among everyone to see who could do it the fastest.

I drill my kids on mental math regularly though, and practice long math on my own at work rather than relying on the calculator, but will use a calculator to verify it.

I kind of drill my Gen Z employees on it too when we are doing things like layout of rebar or looking at plans.

It's nice to have the calculator, but it softens your brain when you rely on it for easy math.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's not that the students are dumb, they just don't know anything.
And the reason they don't know anything is because nobody cares to know anything, it's no longer valued.
We live in a culture that is now openly hostile to intellectualism.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's not that the students are dumb, they just don't know anything.
And the reason they don't know anything is because nobody cares to know anything, it's no longer valued.
We live in a culture that is now openly hostile to intellectualism.
We live in a society where you can see the word 'zeitgeist' used in a Vanity Fair article about Tori Spelling.
- Dennis Miller

Quoted:
My sister teaches but feels more like a babysitter.
All she does is break up fights and she's an elementary school teacher.
On the flip side, these kids will be working for my kids.
I find it funny how so many of you seem to believe that the future is a place where merit will matter.
Unless your children are the proper race, gender, and sexual orientation, they will be slaves.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:35:32 AM EDT
[#41]
They’re just slines.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#42]
I worked with a young guy that wanted to be an engineer. Pretty sharp kid and smart as can be...except he couldn't write for shit.

Terrible speller, grammar was atrocious (I been, I seen, etc.), and an absolute failure at punctuation and formatting. He once showed me his resume and Every Word On It Was Capitalized.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Sad. And I type with index fingers. ??
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

When the kids entered the school system they weren't grades behind. At some point their school and teachers failed them. Not holding teachers to account is how later grades of teachers are put into this position. Clearly, not holding teachers accountable isn't working.
View Quote

Yeah, you obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.  A lot of these kids indeed are behind the moment they enter school.  They’ve never been read to, they’re socially dysfunctional, medicated, been raised by screens and never disciplined even at 5 years old.  They’re unable to be taught in this state until they’ve been deprogrammed.  

The kids that have been raised by responsible parents are indeed light years ahead even in kindergarten.

Like it or not, the first and most important educator in a kids life is their parents.  Adults who ignore this responsibility are the number one reason these kids are the way they are.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Try teaching high school chemistry to whole classes that have no understanding of fractions, ratio or proportions.

View Quote

I think like everything else wrong with our country once things get past a certain point it becomes nearly impossible to fix them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Equality and diversity are strenghts, not deliberate weakness foisted upon us.    Note sarc face.

That is absolutely the case in my local schools - they will NOT fail anyone, period.  Bunch of bullshit, but there it is.
View Quote

I think one of the biggest problems in our society is too many people don’t want to let anyone fail.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yeah, you obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.  A lot of these kids indeed are behind the moment they enter school.  They’ve never been read to, they’re socially dysfunctional, medicated, been raised by screens and never disciplined even at 5 years old.  They’re unable to be taught in this state until they’ve been deprogrammed.  

The kids that have been raised by responsible parents are indeed light years ahead even in kindergarten.

Like it or not, the first and most important educator in a kids life is their parents.  Adults who ignore this responsibility are the number one reason these kids are the way they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  The school cannot fix a home problem.  Many good teachers, including my wife, are quitting due to this issue.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Instead of reading to children most parents today shove a tablet at them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I don’t have a college degree and can do all those things (actually I was 5 credits away but took my certificates and went back to work instead of putting up with the BS for another semester). I do have trade certs for welding and machining through that college, graduated HS and finished the trade programs with a 4.0 GPA

I was in charge of writing any resumes, petitions, official statements, and proofreading anything written or typed by any of my fellow students. I may sound like I’m from Louisiana but I do have a solid grasp on the english language

The amount of young adults entering (or trying to enter) the workforce with terrible time management skills that struggle to use anything electronic other than their smartphone is staggering. Also just a lack of knowledge in general- case in point I worked with a kid just out of high school that honestly had no idea how to use a shovel… didn’t even know what it was
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely. I went into kindergarten knowing how to do basic math and how to read.

How did that happen? Because my mother taught me.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top