BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You're welcome.

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Herradura, Tres Generations and if your really in the mood Cincoro.  All in Anejo.  More flavor and bourbon like than the silver ones.  They are aged, usually in bourbon barrels.  This is what makes them more expensive and more worth it to me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Cuervo Gold is what tequila should taste like.
Lots of fufu stuff out there. Mehhhhh.
Stay thirsty.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#5]
This looks like a winner.

Might start with one of the cheaper El Tesoro bottles first.

Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Kirkland and Trader Joe's store brand anejo is actually Don Julio, and an amazing deal.

Very good stuff.

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Herradura, Tres Generations and if your really in the mood Cincoro.  All in Anejo.  More flavor and bourbon like than the silver ones.  They are aged, usually in bourbon barrels.  This is what makes them more expensive and more worth it to me.
View Quote

Drink bourbon if you want bourbon flavor
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Drink bourbon if you want bourbon flavor
View Quote

I’ll agree with that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Here you go OP…check out that price!
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This looks like a winner.

Might start with one of the cheaper El Tesoro bottles first.

Thanks for the replies!
View Quote

I'm a big fan of El Tesoro.   They are all traditionally made with no additives, and the agave flavor comes through in their tequilas.

Having said that, the bottle that you linked is juice thats been aged in Laphroaig scotch barrels.   I have not tried that one, but I imagine that it will have a strong smoke/peaty flavor to it.   Similar to Islay scotch, it may be an acquired taste.

I can't recommend starting with El Tesoro blanco enough.    It's available at your store, and is a quality tequila that's well made.  

If you want to spend $150 on a bottle, get the Cuervo reserva de la Familia extra anejo.   It's really good, and might appeal to whiskey drinkers while still tasting like agave.

Please save your $$ and skip the Clase Azul, unless you want to impress people who don't like how agave tastes but think that a $200 bottle of sugared up booze makes for fancy tequila.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 1:17:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Siete Leguas
Forteleza
Codigo
Tequila Ocho
El Tesoro

any of these will give you an amazing tequila.  Also keep an eye for Sol de Mexico. Their reposado is very good.

But I will often have to put in a special mention for Jose Cuervo Reserva de La Familia. It's expensive, but oh my god is it amazing. It's like the Cuervo family wanted to remind everyone that, even though they have spent decades trying to kill American college students, that when they really want to they know how to make an amazing tequila.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 1:30:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 1:54:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ocho is fantastic across pretty much all of their aging range.

WOAFP, was The Tequila Guy here, but he caught the banhammer.  I will try to find and reprint one of his excellent posts on the subject.  There's a lot of manipulation is the creation of most forms of tequila, unfortunately.  He recommended a bunch that were not unacceptably manipulated in his opinion.

From me, "Can you give me your top 3 bottles sub $100 that you feel represent the purest form of tequila that you would offer to a group of connoisseurs if they came to your house and your absolute favorite regardless of price?"

Reply:

1.) Tequila Ocho Blanco ($45ish)
2.) Fortaleza still proof blanco ($55ish)
3.) El tesoro Blanco ($40ish)
4.) Pasote Blanco ($40ish)
5.) Mijenta Blanco ($50ish)
6.) Cascahuin tahona ($60ish)
7.) Siete leguas Blanco ($45ish)

1.) Fortaleza reposado ($65ish)
2.) Calle 23 reposado ($50ish)
3.) Mijenta reposado ($65ish)
4.) Artenom 1123 reposado ($75ish)
5.) El tesoro single barrel reposado ($60ish)

1.) Fortaleza anejo ($90ish)
2.) Tequila Ocho anejo ($70ish)
Tesoro anejo and pasote anejo fall a little flat here at their new price point but aren't terrible

For the XAs you get to over the $100 mark but there are plenty with seeking out. if I just wanted someone to be wowed by a tequila I would pour some of the El tesoro paradise. It's between $120-$150 depending on the market. The original extra anejo made by the original Felipe Camarena and Tomas Estes to highlight what could be done to highlight agave and the barrel influence. Or if you really want to splurge a close tie is tears of llorona around $220 now. This is a combination of port, brandy, and scotch barrels blended after 5 years all while never hiding the agave influence. Beautiful tequila for an extra aged.

I completely disagree with him about Tears, FWIW.  Way, way too woody for my palate, and the people we shared it with as well.  But YMMV...
View Quote
I have this one. its DAMN good. I am not someone who drinks alcohol neat but this you can drink neat and its smooth.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 3:23:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Start with a reposado. Blancos are spicy and anejos are too rich for what people are use to. Repos are a decent middle ground.

Herradura and Siete Leguas are the best of casual, high end, tequilas IMHO. Milagro is a great middle of the road brand while figuring out if tequila is your thing, while not breaking the bank. And don't listen to the uniformed here who claim it's a cheap liquer, they've never been to Tequila, Mexico.

Distilleries with citrus groves planted around the vats soley to add to flavor and tiny villages on site to make sure they produce a propper product. Jose Cuervo is cheap, schwill, actual tequila is not cheap or easy. Good luck on trying everything.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 3:43:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here you go OP…check out that price!
https://i.imgur.com/hXA5LOB.jpg
View Quote

Lulz.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 4:09:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Something a little different than Tequila or Mezcal. Sotol

Quite different, more smokey and I really enjoyed it.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Anvil (if it's still open; I thought they'd closed?) is well worth your time if you like well-made cocktails and don't mind paying a considerable premium to do so.

Not surprised they'd pick good stuff.
View Quote
Still open and doing well.  They opened a newer spot upstairs now called Refuge too.  
Only places I miss after moving out of Houston lol
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Still open and doing well.  They opened a newer spot upstairs now called Refuge too.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anvil (if it's still open; I thought they'd closed?) is well worth your time if you like well-made cocktails and don't mind paying a considerable premium to do so.

Not surprised they'd pick good stuff.

Nice!  News I can use, not that I'm ever in Montrose anymore.  Thought there'd been some shakeups in the Heigel (spelling) culinary empire, e.g., Hay Merchant closing, and that Anvil was another casualty.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 8:33:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 8:34:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Pretty sure you have to go to Mexico to get it and it’s over $100 in 2019 money.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm a big fan of El Tesoro.   They are all traditionally made with no additives, and the agave flavor comes through in their tequilas.

Having said that, the bottle that you linked is juice thats been aged in Laphroaig scotch barrels.   I have not tried that one, but I imagine that it will have a strong smoke/peaty flavor to it.   Similar to Islay scotch, it may be an acquired taste.

I can't recommend starting with El Tesoro blanco enough.    It's available at your store, and is a quality tequila that's well made.  

If you want to spend $150 on a bottle, get the Cuervo reserva de la Familia extra anejo.   It's really good, and might appeal to whiskey drinkers while still tasting like agave.

Please save your $$ and skip the Clase Azul, unless you want to impress people who don't like how agave tastes but think that a $200 bottle of sugared up booze makes for fancy tequila.
View Quote

My man! Always cracks me up to see folks talk about how great it is. Adictivo is another additive bomb. I mean, if you like it go ahead, but it ain't an authentic experience.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 8:47:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
When looking at tequila, I'm starting to educate myself...
View Quote

Britney Spears Ft Tila Tequila - Stripper
Britney Spears Ft Tila Tequila - Stripper (MUSIC VIDEO)
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My man! Always cracks me up to see folks talk about how great it is. Adictivo is another additive bomb. I mean, if you like it go ahead, but it ain't an authentic experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My local booze emporium recommended an Adictivo as a sipper.  It's pretty sweet, and not like tequila I'm used to.  It didn't make me want to keep drinking it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Additive free fan here.  From your store, check out El Tequileno for probably best option at lowest price.  Then look at El Tesoro, Tequila Ocho and Gran Dovejo.  If you want a bottle to impress with, the Fuenteseca Blanco is a good one.  Excellent blanco, but they are quite proud of it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My local booze emporium recommended an Adictivo as a sipper.  It's pretty sweet, and not like tequila I'm used to.  It didn't make me want to keep drinking it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was at Woodman's picking up some El Tesoro once. Was looking at the rest of their selection and this guy says to me "you want to know a good tequila? This (points to Adictivo). Trust me, I'm Mexican." Basically the same as if I said "You want to know a good whiskey?  This, trust me, I'm an American" then point to FireBall or Jack Daniels Honey.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Additive free fan here.  From your store, check out El Tequileno for probably best option at lowest price.  Then look at El Tesoro, Tequila Ocho and Gran Dovejo.  If you want a bottle to impress with, the Fuenteseca Blanco is a good one.  Excellent blanco, but they are quite proud of it.
View Quote

Gran Dovejo is good, and I'll at Cascahuin Tahona too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I like Casamigos Reposado
View Quote

Casamigos has a ton of additives which is frowned upon...
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Love Fortaleza and Cascahuin, but good luck finding the Fortaleza, and the Cascahuin 48 & Tahona are a hell of a lot more expensive than they were 6 months ago!
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Call me crazy, but Three Amigos Blanco is a damn fine beverage at its price point and better than some costing significantly more.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Maestro Dobel Diamante has been my go to for many years.

Link Posted: 9/29/2023 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I was at Woodman's picking up some El Tesoro once. Was looking at the rest of their selection and this guy says to me "you want to know a good tequila? This (points to Adictivo). Trust me, I'm Mexican." Basically the same as if I said "You want to know a good whiskey?  This, trust me, I'm an American" then point to FireBall or Jack Daniels Honey.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

“Trust me, I’m Mexican”  Does that usually end well?
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I looked at local state store tonight, nothing recommended here for the most part.
The top self had Patron, which is ok but I don't think it is worth the price.

I bought a pint of Grey Goose Vodka.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I looked at local state store tonight, nothing recommended here for the most part.
The top self had Patron, which is ok but I don't think it is worth the price.

I bought a pint of Grey Goose Vodka.
View Quote

Patron gets a bad wrap but honestly it’s not “that bad” and it’s additive free. One I forgot to list is G4, their blanco is pretty good. Forteleza is basically unobtanium but if you can find it, buy a couple bottles and enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Patron gets a bad wrap but honestly it’s not “that bad” and it’s additive free. One I forgot to list is G4, their blanco is pretty good. Forteleza is basically unobtanium but if you can find it, buy a couple bottles and enjoy.
View Quote

How do people actually buy Forteleza?  Luck....or is there a method of tracking shipments?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I tried DJ anejo and didn’t like it. It didn’t taste like tequila.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#38]
G4, Fortaleza, 1620, siete leguas. Clase Azul has additives and is overpriced.  The Johnny Walker blue of tequila.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Tequila became trendy and expensive.

It's cheap to make and should not be expensive. It doesn't even taste good. For the cost of "good" tequila, I can get a really nice bourbon. I don't get the hype.
View Quote

It takes about 8-10 years for an agave plant to reach maturity. Distilleries have a lot of time invested to go from planting to bottling. That isn’t even counting barrel aging. Also when demand for tequila spikes it takes a while to catch up. Supply and demand is playing a big part in todays pricing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Kirkland and Trader Joe's store brand anejo is actually Don Julio, and an amazing deal.

Very good stuff.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/29/2023 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Although Cuervo CAN make some good tequila - the Reserva de Familia is not one of them.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y6zfoHHj9Uw
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Not high end, at least price wise, but I like 1800 Reposado.
Attachment Attached File

Someone tell me what’s wrong with it.  I’ve had Patron and like it, but 1800 is significantly cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Fuck that. This is all you need.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It takes about 8-10 years for an agave plant to reach maturity. Distilleries have a lot of time invested to go from planting to bottling. That isn’t even counting barrel aging. Also when demand for tequila spikes it takes a while to catch up. Supply and demand is playing a big part in todays pricing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tequila became trendy and expensive.

It's cheap to make and should not be expensive. It doesn't even taste good. For the cost of "good" tequila, I can get a really nice bourbon. I don't get the hype.

This. Also, available farm land gets less and less, and high demand has some producers using immature agave. Saw this coming a few years ago. Stashed some Fortaleza because I knew it was getting hard to find. Then I quit drinking because I have a problem. I have a pretty large stash of booze still. Even have 3 older style bottles of Pasote from El Pandillo.

Patron will be doing a 2nd run of their Estate Blanco in a few years. I think I still have 2 or 3 bottles of their first offering. Some of this stuff has got to appreciate in value.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not high end, at least price wise, but I like 1800 Reposado.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227730/IMG_1382_jpeg-2970532.JPG

Someone tell me what’s wrong with it.  I’ve had Patron and like it, but 1800 is significantly cheaper.
View Quote

Agaves cooked in a high pressure autoclave (better than diffuser, but not as good as slow cooking in a horno) and distilled in stainless steel (you want a copper still for best flavor). And they use additives.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Huge list of choices and a bunch of knowledge Here.
View Quote

It's a shame WOAFP is no longer with us. He'd fucking own this thread.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Herradera.  …Drinkable and doesn’t rip your wallet off your ass.
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like Casamigos Reposado

Yeah, IMO any tequila that uses additives isn't real tequila (which is the vast majority of them). They're real compared to mixto, but they're really akin to drinking flavored whiskey. You ain't getting an authentic experience. But I'm a purist. I didn't even know what I didn't know until I had my first bottle of El Tesoro. Then WOAFP showed me the way. Got me into mezcals too.

Tequila Matchmaker is a great resource. You can see which distillery makes it, cooking method, fermentation method, crushing method, distilling equipment, and they have a program by which to validate that a tequila is additive-free (they get a little badge on the product page).
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Herradura Selection Suprema is very good but like $3-400/bottle last I looked.

4 year aged in ex woodford barrels
Link Posted: 9/29/2023 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#50]
1800 Cristalino Anejo
Maestro Dobel Silver

Both very easy to sip neat and won't break the bank.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top