Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I help manage hogs on a couple of places here. The ranchers and farmers would rather have hogs than a bunch of citiots running around with guns shooting up the place, usually missing, and hogs don't file lawsuits after doing something stupid and hurting themselves.
As stated above, you can't hunt hogs enough to hurt the population effectively. They just move away from the guns. They have to be trapped out or poisoned. If you have a relationship with the farmers and ranchers then paying isn't a thing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sunscreen isn't available to them.
They get sunburned. Rolling in mud helps prevent it. Oil, tar, mud. Probably makes no difference to them. And oil is probably still on the ground when water isn't.
View Quote

Interesting. Makes sense.
We used to raise a few pigs every now and then. It’s the only animal that I carry a gun with to feed when I’m in the pen with them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#3]
If ranchers want the pigs gone, why do these same ranchers have bag limits and trophy fees?  

“Oh, the hunters tear up the land so bad!  We have to charge a fee.”

Here in Oregon we have huge timber farms, private land where trees are the crop. Most of the timber companies will let you hunt their land for free, as long as you sign up. Registration includes providing your make, model, and plate for every vehicle. You sign an agreement and abide by the rules, your membership stays active. That’s it.  No bag limits on shooting squirrels, no “sweat equity” bs, just an agreement to be cool.  Somehow it works and the timber companies don’t cry about it.

Must have different types of hunters here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If ranchers want the pigs gone, why do these same ranchers have bag limits and trophy fees?  

Here in Oregon we have huge timber farms, private land where trees are the crop. Most of the timber companies will let you hunt their land for free, as long as you sign up. Registration includes providing your make, model, and plate for every vehicle. You sign an agreement and abide by the rules, your membership stays active. That’s it.  No bag limits on shooting squirrels, no “sweat equity” bs, just an agreement to be cool.  Somehow it works and the timber companies don’t cry about it.

View Quote

There are no bag limits on hogs in Texas. You don;t even have to have a hunting license.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep. I have 200 acres near Waco that is overrun with pigs. Want to know what happens if you let one guy have permission to shoot pigs on your land?  Well, the beer trash strewn all over the place is the first headache. Then you find out this one person invited a bunch of other people who think they now have free reign to come and shoot anything on your place. They poach deer, tear up the roads, run the pigs with dogs  dogs that then attack the cattle

Hell one guy I knew had a steer shot by a "Hunter" that was chasing pigs on his land.

That's why the land owners charge money. It's not to make money, but to repair damage from poachers AND keep the slobs out. Someone who can pay is not someone who will be as big of a problem, and they won't bring in his cousin's-roommate's-brother's-coworker's friend who will think he has free rein of the place
View Quote
People who don't mind putting a little sweat equity into the property in return also aren't the type that will cause those problems.

The money is the same kind of asshole filter. Seems it works.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

A large multinational corporation does not have a problem scraping up the cash to replace an 800 gallon poly water tank and has lawyers on retainer when some idiot manages to blow his hunting buddy's foot off.

I've hunted in Oregon by the way.  Your hunters are dangerous  incompetent dumbasses just like anywhere else.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Hogs should be killed on sight
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hogs should be killed on sight
View Quote

I used to feel that way, until a trapper explained the economics of it all.  State registered trappers take live hogs, feed them up and then sell the meat.  No shooting involved.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Texas is a shithole full of shithole people. Don’t be shocked.
View Quote

Aw.  Aren't you just a sweet little thing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wild hogs do not produce bacon and hunters are not a solution. They can however, be a very expensive problem a lot worse than the hogs.
View Quote

I'll add to that, the meat isn't worth the effort at all. Even trapping them and putting them on feed for a few months doesn't do much more than clean out the parasites.

Only twice I've paid for killing them, in insurance deductibles both times were it was probably >150 pounds. I see 5 to 20 of them fuckers every night on federal land driving home from work.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:34:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll add to that, the meat isn't worth the effort at all. Even trapping them and putting them on feed for a few months doesn't do much more than clean out the parasites.

Only twice I've paid for killing them, in insurance deductibles both times were it was probably >150 pounds. I see 5 to 20 of them fuckers every night on federal land driving home from work.
View Quote

I’d have to agree. They can be okay if you get a good one and treat it right, but it’s still just “meh”. The whole “they’re delicious!” Thing is horseshit. They are nothing close to a domestic meat pig.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nah, the damage isn't too bad unless you want to pay $500 a day to hunt plus $100 trophy fee for anything over 75 pounds.

THEN he'll let you help him with his dire hog damage problem.
View Quote

You’re not wrong
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL!  Ain't that some shit!?  

That's a new hog behavior to me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Charge people outrageous prices to hunt them like farmers do
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I help manage hogs on a couple of places here. The ranchers and farmers would rather have hogs than a bunch of citiots running around with guns shooting up the place, usually missing, and hogs don't file lawsuits after doing something stupid and hurting themselves.
As stated above, you can't hunt hogs enough to hurt the population effectively. They just move away from the guns. They have to be trapped out or poisoned. If you have a relationship with the farmers and ranchers then paying isn't a thing.
View Quote
Saw a guys trap he made, has a saloon door type gate that swings in and out so they can freely come and go to where the deer feed is. When he's got plenty coming regularly he'll drop the one way latch so they can get in, but not out. Seems to work pretty well for someone who only weekends their property, he seems to get a half dozen or more every time he visits the property.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

These threads always bring out the private property haters
View Quote

It's not so much that.

Years ago there used to be farmers crying on TV about hog problems "the pig bomb" was what they called it.

I think it was natural for people to think "hmmm they have a problem made of pork and I like pork, maybe they'll let me shoot some."

What happened was it got popular and then people started paying for it. Now the pigs are a problem and a product that can make money.

Unfortunately, I think the places that actually want the pigs gone do best by strictly regulating the killing of the pigs, otherwise people were trapping and relocating pigs to be able to get in on the business.

Tldr, don't cry about the pigs if you make money off of them.(I don't think I've heard much from people crying about them lately. Maybe it's just a holdover from years ago)
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's not so much that.

Years ago there used to be farmers crying on TV about hog problems "the pig bomb" was what they called it.

I think it was natural for people to think "hmmm they have a problem made of pork and I like pork, maybe they'll let me shoot some."

What happened was it got popular and then people started paying for it. Now the pigs are a problem and a product that can make money.

Unfortunately, I think the places that actually want the pigs gone do best by strictly regulating the killing of the pigs, otherwise people were trapping and relocating pigs to be able to get in on the business.

Tldr, don't cry about the pigs if you make money off of them.(I don't think I've heard much from people crying about them lately. Maybe it's just a holdover from years ago)
View Quote
Or people can't (or won't) make the distinction between a rancher, and a place that set up guided hunts as a business.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Maybe he could ask for volunteers to take care of his problem,or does he expect to get paid for that....?
View Quote

Guaranteed he gets paid for it, Texas Ranchers are their own worst enemy when it comes to control of Hogs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

I’d have to agree. They can be okay if you get a good one and treat it right, but it’s still just “meh”. The whole “they’re delicious!” Thing is horseshit. They are nothing close to a domestic meat pig.
View Quote

I think it depends on what they're eating.

I killed a sow near Macon, GA that had been eating oats. It was pretty much the same as store bought pork. (dude charged $50/hog, no charge if you didn't shoot anything).

I went out with a couple of arfcommers near Wichita falls and we killed a bunch in a few different fields and I took the loins from a bunch of them and they were all delicious. They hung out in the pastures with cattle, so I assume they were eating mostly grass or other vegetation.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Or people can't (or won't) make the distinction between a rancher, and a place that set up guided hunts as a business.
View Quote

There's also that.

I don't blame the people who charge people to come on their land, that's why you buy land, to have control over it. Lol

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Hunting is not effective.
Trapping will help.

A helicopter hunt operation is also quite effective in our area.  They get paid and come through every six months or so.  Hog numbers are way down after that, but they always come back.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No clue, but they like diesel too.   They'll root a fuel spill to heck and gone.

I like how the usual suspects are whining about not being afforded  the opportunity to add more problems to the poor guy's hog issue.

Hunters are not a cure and can be worse than the hogs.  Esp if they are the usual slob hunting crowd that demands they hunt for free.
View Quote

.   Property taxes are crazy here , even with ag exemptions . Every little bit helps
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sunscreen isn't available to them.
They get sunburned. Rolling in mud helps prevent it. Oil, tar, mud. Probably makes no difference to them. And oil is probably still on the ground when water isn't.
View Quote

They eat the shit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hog meat taste is strictly tied to diet.  The ones I hunt mainly go after acorns and there is no problem with the meat at all.  Take the backstrap off the bigger ones or shoot the piglets and roast them  whole like you would a chicken.

I have roughly 300 lbs of wild hog meat in the freezer at the moment.  It's all good.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wild animals made of bacon are destroying property in Texas?

If there was only a solution for that.
View Quote

I never understood this issue either

Edit: sounds like they are defective and don't have bacon..are they too lean? Ribs? Taste like shit? What's the issue?
(Excuse the ignorance, I go to the grocery store )
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I bought my 40 acres 25 yrs ago.  My dad let anyone hunt our 250 acres at the farm.  It takes years to get the message out to people that your land isn't a free for all.  A few calls to the game warden for trespassing is about all you can do. That group tells another, and eventually random people will stop screwing up your hunt in your own land.
View Quote

Bit stricter here.  Hunt without written land owner permission and you will most likely lose your gun, vehicle and a goodly chunk out of your wallet.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Ticks
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:15:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine just put in 1700' of new chip and seal road on his ranch in Texas.

Hogs are tearing it up to rub in the tar.  
View Quote

I live in Texas.  I have guns.  Will travel.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thats probably a decent shooting lane
View Quote

With a belt fed at night.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Closed minded ass clowns are closed minded ass clowns.

Where'd I leave my shocked face.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bless your heart.
I'm sure you would be a wonderful hunter to have on my property.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:36:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Possible solution.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I never understood this issue either

Edit: sounds like they are defective and don't have bacon..are they too lean? Ribs? Taste like shit? What's the issue?
(Excuse the ignorance, I go to the grocery store )
View Quote

@somaliskinnypirate

Feral hogs have to work hard to eat. Farm hogs just lay around and get all the food they want. Feral hogs are tough motherfuckers, because they have to be. Unless they find an abundant and constant food source they are very lean. That's why many people will trap them and feed them out. Around here we trap them and sell them to a buyer who sells them to a corporation. Last I heard they were shipped live to Scandinavia and processed for human consumption.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Nah, the damage isn't too bad unless you want to pay $500 a day to hunt plus $100 trophy fee for anything over 75 pounds.

THEN he'll let you help him with his dire hog damage problem.
View Quote

So true.

Ranchers in Oklahoma: These damn hogs are destroying our crops and attacking our cattle! Someone do something!! REEEEEEE

Hunters: We can help you with that

Ranchers: Oh yeah!? $1000 day and you can take all the hogs you want.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I would like to find a rancher who just wanted pigs killed. 15 years ago I had a Texas rancher who charged $100 a day and said kill them all. I would really like to find someone again who would grant access to the land for a small fee.

However, I understand they have a commodity and it provides income for them.  It's a pay to play system now and there is no shortage of folks willing to pay $500 for 1 pig.   Besides the liability/risk of having strangers shooting on your land is also an issue.  I know folks who have lost cows to "hunters".

If you are fortunate enough to have access to land, Best do everything you can to keep the owners happy.

View Quote

Agree.

I used to drive to WY (from WA state) to shoot Prairie dogs out north of Casper. Knocked on a couple doors (the very first year), said hello and that I’d like to help control their P-dogs. Always got a yes and after that the ranchers talked and I would get more and more neighbor’s numbers, year after year. Didn’t take long, they all own like 10,000 acres or more. Word got out after the first year or two and I didn’t have to knock on doors anymore. One guy even gave us his rifle, ammo, and said “use this too” and “Get them all!”….(rifle and unused ammo returned).

Always got the landowner a 12 pack on the way out of town to keep things cordial. We even went to dinner with some ranchers in the evenings. They wanted to hear how it went.

I can’t imagine paying someone to hunt a pest for them, not after my experience above….I understand they don’t want city folk or idiots running about but they just have to ask me for some background which speaks for itself. I’m a 15 year AD USAF aircrew member, with a wife three kids at home, kinda speaks for itself. If they feel uncomfortable then it’s a “no”, but don’t whine. They make their own choices of course but here is a different, probably unpopular, opinion.

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You are not doing him a favor.  Hunters  create a goodly amount of risk and are generally, a pain in the ass.  

If you had the "expertise" you would not be demanding that you hunt for free, you would be running a trapping business.
View Quote

OK let me give you some insight....

I don't demand shit for starters. I have two ranches and access to many others. When im on one ranch and take out dozens of pigs...then I ask the next door rancher if he wants help because I spotted another herd on his side of the fence. He says yes, I show up and then he demands I pay him $xxx amount lol
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Will he allow me to come and hunt with a few of my buddies, free of charge, to rid him of his hog problem?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why am I going to do extra favors just to do a rancher a favor already?

I'm the one with  the expertise, equipment and will to be out all night and help him out. I'm not doing extra shit lol
View Quote

Pretty much this.

Balance out what vetted hunters could do for him by killing the hogs as opposed to making your exterminator pay or expend sweat equity to get rid of your pests.

The Texas bias against hunters on private property unless they pay to be there is laughable to the extreme.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Closed minded ass clowns are closed minded ass clowns.

Where'd I leave my shocked face.
View Quote

Are you looking in a mirror?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Are those houses in the near background?
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Hogs roll in anything hydrocarbon for insect control on their skin.  Keeps ticks & fleas off.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#46]
FPNI again
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yep. I have 200 acres near Waco that is overrun with pigs. Want to know what happens if you let one guy have permission to shoot pigs on your land?  Well, the beer trash strewn all over the place is the first headache. Then you find out this one person invited a bunch of other people who think they now have free reign to come and shoot anything on your place. They poach deer, tear up the roads, run the pigs with dogs… dogs that then attack the cattle…

Hell one guy I knew had a steer shot by a “Hunter” that was chasing pigs on his land.

That’s why the land owners charge money. It’s not to make money, but to repair damage from poachers AND keep the slobs out. Someone who can pay is not someone who will be as big of a problem, and they won’t bring in his cousin’s-roommate’s-brother’s-coworker’s friend who will think he has free rein of the place
View Quote

One would think if you were a rancher or landowner, you could stipulate hunting only at night with thermal.

The price of thermal you would think keep the “beer slobs” away.

Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well said. That is absolutely correct.  It is best that people avoid traveling to Texas.  Absolutely avoid moving to Texas, unless you really want to see the full display of shithole people.

I mean it.  Stay where you are, do not go to Texas.  Shithole people.

To recap, stay where you are.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

One would think if you were a rancher or landowner, you could stipulate hunting only at night with thermal.

The price of thermal you would think keep the “beer slobs” away.

View Quote

Right up until they shoot a cow that they think is a pig. It happens.
Link Posted: 5/28/2023 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This. I got tired of listening to farmers talk about how bad the problem is when they want you to pay them to go take care of it for them.
View Quote

From the perspective of a landowner who has a hog problem…

I am frequently approached by people whom I don’t know who want to hunt hogs on my land…

‘Let me do YOU a favor, and kill those hogs…’ is usually along the lines of what they say to me. Ha!

I have zero desire to let someone I don’t know have access to my property, let alone with a rifle.
Does this person know the difference between a hog and a cow? Will he take responsibility and liability if he somehow shoots a cow instead of a hog?

If this person falls and hurts himself on my land, will he hold me liable?

If he or his idiot hunting buddy gets drunk and shoots the other, am I getting named in the lawsuit?

If you want me to allow you to have free access to my property with guns, would you give me the keys to your house and allow me access with guns?

Are you going to be a good steward of my land, and leave it better than you found it?

Instead of pissing and whining about landowners wanting to charge you to hunt on their property, try to see it from their perspective.
Maybe take the time out of your life and make friends with a landowner. Maybe put in some sweat equity around his property. Maybe then, you’ll earn their trust and invite you to hunt hogs for free…

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top