Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Save it for the next time something needs unstuck.  You know it will happen.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Learn how to tie better knots.
View Quote
No shit. "if you can't tie a knot, tie alot", usually ends up like this.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#3]
A knife is best and just cut it out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]
It's done for, throw it away.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Had to get something unstuck. Didn’t have a tow strap with me but had a thick tie down. Now I have this. It’s in there good. Took some tugging to get out the thing out of the mud.

I’ve tried putting it in a vise and pulling with pliers, screwdrivers etc.

Won’t come out. What else should I do? Soak and freeze it then try to pull so it’s more ridged?

Just give up and cut it and have a shorter strap?

Attachment Attached File
View Quote
Gold...
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mower battery is pulled for the winter
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would work likely. Or a lawn mower. Them just start manipulating the knot with your hands. Don't pull on anything the make the knot move a little bit and it will loosen right up.
Mower battery is pulled for the winter
Use your wife’s Magic Wand?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
The knot used was very effective at accomplishing the task
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Marlinspike.

Sail on sailor.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]
1-Place it on a block of wood.

2-Beat on it with a dead blow hammer.

3- ???

4- Profit !
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You fucked it. You don’t tie knots in straps. Even if you get it untied, it’s still ruined.
View Quote

The water knot is specifically for tying knots in straps.  Holds fast, and is easy to untie.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I’m going to try some of the suggestions in here. But you’re probably right. At the worst, I’ll cut it and just have a shorter strap
View Quote
My God, I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would waste that much of their time on a $6 strap....That includes maintaining this thread.

Throw it away and buy a new one.

Do you need the $10? Let me know and I'll send it to you if you promise just to throw this Made in China shit away.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learn how to tie better knots.
Most knot tying tutorials cover both the strength of the knot and whether it is considered non-jamming.

OP, were you just trying to make a loop for an attachment point?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Needle nose pliers...work slowly to not fray the strap.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#15]
steam, needle nose and an awl.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My God, I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would waste that much of their time on a $6 strap....That includes maintaining this thread.

Do you need the $10? Let me know and I'll send it to you if you promise just to throw this Made in China shit away.
View Quote
It’s a ~$15 strap
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Most knot tying tutorials cover both the strength of the knot and whether it is considered non-jamming.

OP, were you just trying to make a loop for an attachment point?
View Quote
Yeah.

Didn’t have any of my recovery straps but had this. Ran it through itself on the j hook on one end for an attachment point and did this on the other end
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Marlin Spike
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Take it to my ex-wife and tell her there is a dollar bill hidden inside the knot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Microwave it for 10 minutes. It'll come right apart.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not really tow, more like yank and pull and pull and yank. For awhile
View Quote
Keep going, you’ll get that happy ending!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah.

Didn’t have any of my recovery straps but had this. Ran it through itself on the j hook on one end for an attachment point and did this on the other end
View Quote
I'm no knot expert, but I've been experimenting with different knots for hammock camping, especially quick release knots.

As someone else already mentioned, it looks like water knots are the correct knot to use with webbing straps.

water knot webbing loop for easy hammock 2.0

If I just wanted a quick temporary loop, I would probably use a marlinspike hitch slid over the J-hook, with a slippery half-hitch to secure the tag end. I have no idea how well that would hold up to stress, though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m going to try some of the suggestions in here. But you’re probably right. At the worst, I’ll cut it and just have a shorter strap

I’m not OCD, but I could not let that go. It’s not about the $6.

Even if I knew the strap was fucked, I’d still have to get the knot out. I could not let that go unresolved.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I've found that pushing the ends into the knot works better than pulling and prying on it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It’s a ~$15 strap
View Quote
Do you need $15? If so PM me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Even if I knew the strap was fucked, I’d still have to get the knot out. I could not let that go unresolved.
View Quote
Yeah, you are OCD...Throw it in the trash.

If you can't let a $10 knot go "unresolved", then.....Yeah~
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Do you need $15? If so PM me.
View Quote
I don’t know a person on this earth who wouldn’t be pumped if they got $15 for free

That’s not the point though. If it’s salvageable, I’d much rather keep it and use it than spend money on a new one.

Getting ready to put the kids to bed soon then I’m going to go out and Dick around with the strap some more
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I didn't read all the responses, but I had success putting two straps in a dryer and air tumbled it for 30 minutes.  It loosened a little but not enough to get the knot out so put it back in for 60 minutes on air dry and the know was loose enough to undue.  It worked for me but I'll warn you, it will be LOUD banging around in there!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don’t know a person on this earth who wouldn’t be pumped if they got $15 for free

That’s not the point though. If it’s salvageable, I’d much rather keep it and use it than spend money on a new one.

Getting ready to put the kids to bed soon then I’m going to go out and Dick around with the strap some more
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, even if just for the challenge.

Even if the strap is junk, I'd keep it to practice knots with. Just tag or paint the ends so you know it's scrap, and then practice until your heart's content.

It would also be just fine for less demanding uses, such as a tree strap for hanging a hammock.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah. Not OCD. This is very specific and goes back to me being a kid and getting all pissy and angry about a knot in a rope that was part of one of my toys.

My grandfather, looked at me with great disappointment for being a whiny little bitch and, without a word, took it from me and very patiently worked the knot out. Then, he handed it back without a word and walked away.

I very patiently work out all knots now. All knots.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I didn't read all the responses, but I had success putting two straps in a dryer and air tumbled it for 30 minutes.  It loosened a little but not enough to get the knot out so put it back in for 60 minutes on air dry and the know was loose enough to undue.  It worked for me but I'll warn you, it will be LOUD banging around in there!
View Quote
It’s got a very large j hook on the other end I don’t think I’d want to put in the dryer!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#33]
After reading all of these replies, I need to go ties some straps into knots and see how well these different methods work.

I think the hammer/mallet method intrigues me the most.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I don’t get your point.

If it was yours you would just throw it away and piss away $15 on a new one without even trying?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nah. Not OCD. This very specific and goes back to me being a kid and getting all pissy and angry about a knot in a rope that was part of one of my toys.

My grandfather, looked at me with great disappointment for being a whiny little bitch and, without a word, took it from me very patiently worked the knot out. Then, he handed it back without a word and walked away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah. Not OCD. This very specific and goes back to me being a kid and getting all pissy and angry about a knot in a rope that was part of one of my toys.

My grandfather, looked at me with great disappointment for being a whiny little bitch and, without a word, took it from me very patiently worked the knot out. Then, he handed it back without a word and walked away.

I have a pile of my wife's knotted up costume-jewelry necklaces I'd like to mail you.  Can you cover return shipping?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:49:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It’s a ~$15 strap
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s a ~$15 strap
$10 at HF, Northern Tool, HD, etc...
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don’t get your point.

If it was yours you would just throw it away and piss away $15 on a new one without even trying?
View Quote
Yes, I have done the exact same thing as you have in this thread when I was younger....Several times.

Once I screw with it for a few minutes and my time starts looking more valuable shitposting on here than screwing with a $5 nylon knot that has now lost all of its tensile strength because you fucked it up....Then yeah.

Garbage and then tomorrow morning, Big Lots and a brand new pack of wider straps with unrusted cranks and smooth sailing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It’s got a very large j hook on the other end I don’t think I’d want to put in the dryer!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it has a hook on the end it is dangerous
Throw it out, you are helping yourself

Get a good strap with loops on the end
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have a pile of my wife's knotted up costume-jewelry necklaces I'd like to mail you.  Can you cover return shipping?
View Quote
THIS.RIGHT.HERE....

Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Jewelry is the worst.

You can’t muscle it and the small links make it damn near impossible to see the insertion points.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Magnets and a treadmill
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yes, I have done the exact same thing as you have in this thread when I was younger....Several times.

Once I screw with it for a few minutes and my time starts looking more valuable shitposting on here than screwing with a $5 nylon knot that has now lost all of its tensile strength because you fucked it up....Then yeah.

Garbage and then tomorrow morning, Big Lots and a brand new pack of wider straps with unrusted cranks and smooth sailing.
View Quote
I don’t see anything listed on big lots site with a load limit anywhere near these. All they appear to have are the cheap-o ones
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If it has a hook on the end it is dangerous
Throw it out, you are helping yourself

Get a good strap with loops on the end
View Quote
I have plenty of those.

I didn’t have any WITH me, as I’ve said in this same thread several times.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
THIS.RIGHT.HERE....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS.RIGHT.HERE....

On an unrelated note...how the hell did you manage to get a call sign with a 2017 join date? And a damn cool one to boot!

I’ve been here since before the reset and have never caught a call sign thread.

Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don’t see anything listed on big lots site with a load limit anywhere near these. All they appear to have are the cheap-o ones
View Quote
You have ruined the $10, Made in China strap by tying it in a near unrecoverable knot, stretching and heating it and then asking hours of questions about how to fix the $5 problem.

Then you actually go to Big Lots website to see if they stock the $15 strap.

You could have worked like an illegal spreading mulch all this time asking about your $5 strap and then bought 20 straps.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#46]
I use a dinner fork...  Haven't been stopped yet.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You have ruined the $10, Made in China strap by tying it in a near unrecoverable knot, stretching and heating it and then asking hours of questions about how to fix the $5 problem.

Then you actually go to Big Lots website to see if they stock the $15 strap.

You could have worked like an illegal spreading mulch all this time asking about your $5 strap and then bought 20 straps.
View Quote
I already told you it’s not a $10 strap. Stop trolling

Feel free to send me all the straps you want though
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Beat it with a rubber mallet.  ALL sides, ALL directions.

Like CoC beatdown.  

It will loosen eventually.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#49]
A time machine could really help with these kinds of problems.

Hang on a minute OP,I'm off to the workshop.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

On an unrelated note...how the hell did you manage to get a call sign with a 2017 join date? And a damn cool one to boot!

I’ve been here since before the reset and have never caught a call sign thread.

You make me sad.
View Quote
Hundreds and hundreds of people have callsigns on here....I suggest PM'ing the correct Northern CA person to ask if you are that interested in acquiring one~

A callsign is worth exactly what anything else is worth, minus the callsign...

In other words, you are the first person I have seen in probably over a year to even mention callsigns....

If you like it, I will officially transfer it to you....And, I'll probably send you a Big Lots strap too if you really need it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top