Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I encourage folks to learns some 18th century cooking techniques and corresponding recipes to suit. Its a fun and tasty hobby. There are plenty of vids on YouTube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crockpotting that is pretty easy.

Yes it easy unless the power grid fails  then you need how to cook them

I encourage folks to learns some 18th century cooking techniques and corresponding recipes to suit. Its a fun and tasty hobby. There are plenty of vids on YouTube.

Make ya some salt pork!

Also, cooking over an open fire isn't that hard, unless you're wanting to be very precise.  Mostly, throw it in a pot and let it cook all day.  Don't get your coals so hot that you burn up your food.  

Cast iron is king.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Never in the history of this country did we have a Civil War, until we had one.
Never in the history of this country did we have a Great Depression, until we had one.
Never in the history of this country did we participate in a World War, until we had one.
Never in the history of this country did we participate in a second World War, until we had one.

What's the old adage...
"The one thing we learn from history, is that we learn nothing from history, so a wise man will stockpile rice and beans and build bigger ammo forts, but the not so wise, can just sit and wait for FEMA", or something like that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 3:13:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ham hocks, baby.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Laughs in Southerner.

Ham hocks, baby.

Yessir.  

I might have a few in the freezer...
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think we will see famine in this country, but I do think things will get very expensive and difficult.  Also, it doesn't matter if we are actually running out of food.  It only matters if people think we are running out of food.  Stores will be a horrible place to be if people can't get what they want.  Think Black Friday all the time, or whenever delivery day is at the store.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Cost of 1 PSA rifle will set a family up with a good cushion.

I'll leave it at that because  GD gonna GD when it comes to prep threads.....as I can see by page one.

I don't wanna see my wife or kid suffer..
And if it's buy 12$ a gallon gas to get to work or buy 12$ 2 for 1 green beans
What ya gonna do.

Eat that rice fort...buy gas, make money a survive...

As spices. We grow our own herbs, hot chili's etc.
Salt is or was cheap...and dried spices last a while.

Tony Cs can be purchased in 5 gallon buckets iirc

View Quote

Well said.  

I make sure that I have a lot of salt (kosher, canning, and table), pepper (peppercorns store well), if you have a grinder), garlic, chili powder, taco seasoning, Italian seasoning, basil, and oregano.  Those are my main spices.  The wife has stockpiled a good amount of canning spices and sugar.  Lemon juice is pretty important for canning, if you can't find citric acid.  We used lemon juice in our tomatoes last year when the CA ran out and we had a hard time finding it.

And buy a freezer.  Stock it with big, cheap cuts of meat.  Pork shoulders (<$2/lb on sale), hams(<$2/lb on sale), beef roasts(<$4/lb on sale, but maybe not now), and whole chickens(~$1/lb on sale).  Learn to slow cook and smoke your meats.  With the right spices, I can flavor a hell of a lot of rice and beans with a good smoked cut of meat.  It doesn't really matter if it's pork, beef, or chicken.  Plus, it's excellent protein and minerals.

If you do that, plus some canned veggies, your rice and beans will go a long way.

Cornbread is calorie dense, and a great side with beans.  Hell, it's a good side with lots of things.  Cornmeal will store a good amount time with the right containers.  Cornmeal, flour, an egg, and little buttermilk (or milk with lemon juice), a little sugar, and some bacon grease or oil.  Good eating.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Pork loin is still pretty cheap. with a few hens and a garden you can make some pretty nice fried rice dishes with that stock piled rice.
What's happening globally with food, fuel and fertilizer should have everyone preparing at the very least for shortages and expensive products. It's pretty much staring us directly into the eyes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Did anyone actually STARVE during the Depression?  When, in the history of the US did people have to rely on SURVIVAL caches for their meals?

I lived thru the LA fires, the big earthquake, the riots and all the grocery stores and restaurants stayed open.
View Quote

Yes.  Are you really asking this?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A rice and beans "fort" is never *not* important - but how immediately critical is it? IMO not very.
View Quote

This.  I'm going to keep enough of it that I'd get sick of eating it a few times over, but I doubt it will come down to having to do that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lol. Half the world lives on rice. And I doubt you've eaten beans for very many meals in a row.

When combined with beans it makes a complete protein.

OP, include wheat berries, barley, oats, peas, several kinds of beans, corn, flour of corn and wheat, yeast, dry milk, salt, pepper, masa, a grain grinder, a means of cooking if you've no power and you'll have a start. Increase canned goods purchases when at the grocery. Learn pantry rotation and cooking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rice is very empty of calories. Beans are much better. But, energy is needed to cool them.

Lol. Half the world lives on rice. And I doubt you've eaten beans for very many meals in a row.

When combined with beans it makes a complete protein.

OP, include wheat berries, barley, oats, peas, several kinds of beans, corn, flour of corn and wheat, yeast, dry milk, salt, pepper, masa, a grain grinder, a means of cooking if you've no power and you'll have a start. Increase canned goods purchases when at the grocery. Learn pantry rotation and cooking.

Not to mention that when you're really hungry, they're going to taste very good just how they come.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a bunch of both just before the plandemic bs. They've been sitting in my garage and the beans are now still hard after cooking several hours. Does anyone know how to cook them properly after being stored for awhile? Keep beans stored in a cool area,the rice is still fine.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Everyone I knew that lived through the depression could garden or farm and probably did.

Lots of folks today wouldn’t even if they could.

Completely dependent on the labor of others and supply chain.
View Quote

Yep, we’ve never been so dependent on so few farmers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I bought a bunch of both just before the plandemic bs. They've been sitting in my garage and the beans are now still hard after cooking several hours. Does anyone know how to cook them properly after being stored for awhile? Keep beans stored in a cool area,the rice is still fine.
View Quote

Dam, Son!

I'm assuming that this is pinto beans or some sort of Great Northern bean:

Both of these methods should have the beans in a significant amount of water, like multiple inches above the beans in the bowl.

What you do is soak them overnight for best results.  You'll actually see the beans get bigger from pulling in the moisture.  

A fast way to soften them is to put them in water, bring them to a boil for a few minutes, take them off the heat, cover, and let them sit in the hot water for an hour or better.  

After you do the above, drain them, add fresh water to at least an inch above the beans, salt, some oil, seasoned pork if you have some, and bring them to a boil again.  Boil for 20-30 minutes, turn them down to a soft simmer, and let them cook for hours.

One last thing: Always check your bulk bags of beans for small stones, dirt, and bad beans before your final cook.  I've found many stones in mine over many occasions.  That'll break a tooth.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last year, or maybe the year before, we cooked and ate some beans we'd stored circa 2012. Yeah, they get harder to cook, and taste sort of dry/grainy after a few years. But they were still edible. Just not very tasty.

Rotate them out every 2-5 years and I think you'd be fine. Also, if you're hungry, they'll taste fine.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#14]
When things got a little nutty in the early stages of the Coof pandemic we were shopping in the CDA Costco, along with about 2,000 of our fellow citizens. In the very crowded dry goods section a man was loading two, 20lb bags of rice into his cart.

His wife loudly said, "for God's sake, do you even know how to cook rice?"

Him (looking grim, but determined): "We're going to need this, I'm getting it."

Her: "Well you go right ahead and buy it, but I'm telling you right now you're going to eat every damn mouthful."

The whole aisle busted up laughing, especially my wife. We'd been having the same argument. She shops fresh almost every day...we have this argument a lot. People had been a little testy, what with fighting over toilet paper, it was a welcome relief.

I'd love to know how much rice she forced down his gullet. He may still be eating rice puddin'.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Double tap
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:14:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Love me some beans… I’ll generate enough methane to power all of Texas.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Rice and beans don't play a part in my survival plan for SHTF.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Great add to rice and beans, soups and stews.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Rice is very empty of calories. Beans are much better. But, energy is needed to cool them.
View Quote

not really. turn off the stove, they'll cool off on their own. just give them a little time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife doesn't do beans so I guess it's rice rice rice and rice with a side of rice for me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Regardless of what the hippies tell you the protein isn’t as bioavailable as animal protein.

Beans and rice is not a complete protein.

Plants,especially beans, don’t want to be eaten and have phytochemicals in them to inhibit or bind to essential nutritional bits.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My wife doesn't do beans so I guess it's rice rice rice and rice with a side of rice for me.
View Quote

She will when she’s hungry enough….
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Not worth anything to me, I prefer beef, chicken, pork, fish..etc.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#24]
How do you guys store your rice and beans (and other foods, really) in a way that will keep them for long periods but also allow you to rotate through them? I’m loading up on food slowly but surely more to soften the blow of higher food prices later this year than to have a SHTF contingency plan.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Laughs in grandparents that lived through the Grest Depression...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?  When in the history of the US was anyone NOT be able to get food?

And you have 100,000 rounds of SS109?  OK, now what?

Laughs in grandparents that lived through the Grest Depression...

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#26]
The best time to build a fort is when it's not critical.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Idk OP but I went ahead and got one anyways..
rice, beans and seasoning fort built! Right next to my TP fort… just incase SHTF, I can still wipe my butt.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Dam, Son!

I'm assuming that this is pinto beans or some sort of Great Northern bean:

Both of these methods should have the beans in a significant amount of water, like multiple inches above the beans in the bowl.

What you do is soak them overnight for best results.  You'll actually see the beans get bigger from pulling in the moisture.  

A fast way to soften them is to put them in water, bring them to a boil for a few minutes, take them off the heat, cover, and let them sit in the hot water for an hour or better.  

After you do the above, drain them, add fresh water to at least an inch above the beans, salt, some oil, seasoned pork if you have some, and bring them to a boil again.  Boil for 20-30 minutes, turn them down to a soft simmer, and let them cook for hours.

One last thing: Always check your bulk bags of beans for small stones, dirt, and bad beans before your final cook.  I've found many stones in mine over many occasions.  That'll break a tooth.
View Quote

If the beans are old enough, they are very difficult to get tender again. Pressure cooking helps.

I've read another method, but can't remember the details. Something added to the water, like baking soda, maybe??

May be able to soak in lye water, similar to how they make hominy. Never tried it, so that is purely speculation.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Please give the doomsday scenario where you're loading mags and I'm attacking your house for food?

Just jackoff prepper fantasy shit.

View Quote

My FIL talks about having to hold night watch over their garden during the great depression.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gas?

Not that it is any of my business. Just speaking from       experience.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Refried beans for Mexican?

Navy beans and ham soup?

Midwest style kidney beans in chili?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Regardless of what the hippies tell you the protein isn’t as bioavailable as animal protein.

Beans and rice is not a complete protein.

Plants,especially beans, don’t want to be eaten and have phytochemicals in them to inhibit or bind to essential nutritional bits.

View Quote

I didn't know plants were sentient.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If the beans are old enough, they are very difficult to get tender again. Pressure cooking helps.

I've read another method, but can't remember the details. Something added to the water, like baking soda, maybe??

May be able to soak in lye water, similar to how they make hominy. Never tried it, so that is purely speculation.
View Quote
I have a recipe from my Great Depression Grandmother that calls for soaking them overnight, and then adding baking Soda to the water when cooking them.  Google indicates baking soda speeds up cooking time and helps to tenderize them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, "wife won't cook" and "power grid failure" might be considered the same thing. But sounds kind of sexist to me.  in a binary way. Pronoun was presumed 'she'.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How do you guys store your rice and beans (and other foods, really) in a way that will keep them for long periods but also allow you to rotate through them? I’m loading up on food slowly but surely more to soften the blow of higher food prices later this year than to have a SHTF contingency plan.
View Quote

Buy rice and beans in sealed bags, throw bag in new, clean 5-gallon bucket, add a single dessicant pack (if you must) then snap a sealing lid on the bucket. Use sharpie to mark storage date on lid.

This isn't fancy but it works. As mentioned earlier, I've ate beans that were ~8 years old stored this way. Yes, they tasted bad/dry/grainy/tough. But they were still edible. If you're worried about them drying out too much, rotate them every 2-3 years.

Storing a 50-pound bag of baking soda (available at feed stores as sodium bicarbonate) allows you to add a bit to the cooking water, as mentioned before by another poster, if you want that option. I've also thought about soaking them in water for a day then soaking them in oil/grease/fat before cooking. Couldn't hurt.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't think the average American knows how to properly cook dried beans.
View Quote

Pressure cooker for the win.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I enjoy Townsends
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I need to find things that are low carb to store away.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#39]
There is no down side to a well stocked pantry.

Words to live by.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I need to find things that are low carb to store away.
View Quote

Unless it’s specifically for a medical issue when work habits and amounts of available food are drastically shifted the additional carbs for energy are likely to be far easier burned.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
We've learned the importance of ammo and tp forts, but is the hype about food shortages a concern to the average American? It seems like a pretty cheap investment, you can buy cheap and stack real deep today. Is tomorrow a concern?
View Quote

Yes, it's a concern, a big one actually.

Let's forget Biden's "Operation: Fuck America" for a minute. The odds of another Carrington Event (look it up) are estimated to be about 0.7% a year. That's not a lot, but it is significant and means there is about a 9.2% chance of it happening over the next 20 years. Another Carrington event would... well we don't know exactly. But it would likely take down power in the US for months, maybe years in some areas. That means no fuel flows, no food gets transported, and things get really, really bad in a hurry.

Then there is the possibility of all kinds of natural disasters, massive crop failures, really serious pandemics as opposed to Covid level pandemics, etc.

All of these could make food scarce.

So, get a bunch of beans and rice and store them in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers, these will supposedly keep for 30 years if you keep them in a relatively cool place. (Just assume the o2 absorbers when I mention Mylar from now on.)

Then store some wheat berries if you can as they will keep for 30 years too. But you will need a way to grind them into flour.

Rolled oats (Oatmeal) will keep for 10 years in Mylar bags and that has some 1,700 calories a pound. I've seen bulk 10 pound boxes at Sam's for a bit under $12.00

A 5 pound bag of flour can be stored in a one gallon Mylar bag and will supposedly also keep for about 10 years. Flour is about $1.00 a pound, often a lot less depending on what you get.

Sugar is fairly cheap and it will never go bad if you keep it dry and insect free. In lean times having a couple ounces of sugar a day (about 200 calories) would go a long way towards keeping you alive and active.

Pasta is good and will store for a long time.

And you need to make sure you have plenty of cooking oil as well. But this is also pretty cheap.

Bottom line is that a good stockpile of food is just good insurance against what might happen. It's more realistic that you will need the food than you will need more than 1,000 round of ammo.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Salt lots of it for seasoning and preserving doesn’t hurt either
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The best time to build a fort is when it's not critical.
View Quote

Yep. If you wait till the Indians are shootin' at ya, it makes for a rough go.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:23:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I used to work for the largest rice grower in the U.S. if you wanted rice all you had to do was ask and the owner would give you a 50 lb sack. You better like rice.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Well rice and beans will stretch other foods you have, or do as a meal when the humane society shelter is cleared out and the neighbors are MIA
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You should really be stacking more of what you normally eat it’s ok to supplement some of that with beans and rice but don’t expect that to be your only plan
View Quote

I post a thread awhile back asking for ideas on food stores diversification. The only thing people suggested was buy beans and rice. I have plenty of beans and rice. I want other things also.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why?  When in the history of the US was anyone NOT be able to get food?

And you have 100,000 rounds of SS109?  OK, now what?
View Quote

The great depression seen a lot of hungry mouths.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Please give the doomsday scenario where you're loading mags and I'm attacking your house for food?

Ignorant statement considering several in this threat basically state they will use their ammo fort to steal your food fort by force. I certainly am no prepper fucking moon bat but I’m no idiot either. Things aren’t good and are getting worse being as prepared as you can be is just smart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And this is who you will be defending your food supply from. Desperate starving neighbors.

Ignorant statement considering several in this threat basically state they will use their ammo fort to steal your food fort by force. I certainly am no prepper fucking moon bat but I’m no idiot either. Things aren’t good and are getting worse being as prepared as you can be is just smart.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Did anyone actually STARVE during the Depression?  When, in the history of the US did people have to rely on SURVIVAL caches for their meals?

I lived thru the LA fires, the big earthquake, the riots and all the grocery stores and restaurants stayed open.
View Quote

Oh imagine that. California guy knows better and knows more than the rest of us.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top