Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Weird, these companies bait suckers in telling them it’s cheaper than cable but then increase fees?

Who could have seen that coming?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been a sling user for 2 years now. I don't watch a ton of TV, but the shows I want I get.

They haven't raised the rates since I got it, and the quality has improved a bit. (When I first got it the streaming was mediocre)
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 3:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On top of the monthly charge, do they hit you with fees and tax?
View Quote
Not with DirectTV/ATTNow.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Just saw the email about the rate increase.  I've not been happy with them recently anyway.  Going to look at youtubeTV.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
On top of the monthly charge, do they hit you with fees and tax?
View Quote
Just tax, and unlimited screen fee IIRC.  Like $58.xx a month right now for a 54.99 plan.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:02:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, can't believe it's spiraled like that. I used to watch hulu for free when I got divorced, nearly every season of Stargate.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Weird, these companies bait suckers in telling them it’s cheaper than cable but then increase fees?

View Quote
Netflix is still pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
No live streaming though, which is what the OP was talking about.
I have no use for live streams myself.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have been a sling user for 2 years now. I don't watch a ton of TV, but the shows I want I get.

They haven't raised the rates since I got it, and the quality has improved a bit. (When I first got it the streaming was mediocre)
View Quote
Roger that - still $25/month plus tax.  I have an antenna on the roof and and that's another 30+ channels on top of Sling and about 4 other free streaming sites available on ROKU.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#11]
They're all going to raise their rates to where you may as well keep you cable
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Not just no but hell no.  I haven't paid for anything with commercials for about 20 years now and I don't see myself starting anytime soon.  If they make money from showing me commercials, why aren't they paying me to watch them?   Screw that.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn’t that start out at like $6.99/mo? What is it now?

I’m just saying everything subscription based will increase. They got ya hooked. (Along with EVERYTHING else but) I have some friends who do this stuff and some stuff I would like on one carrier and other stuff I’d want from another carrier. How many different sub services do I have to have to get the 10% content (combined) I want to watch? 3-4? That adds up to a lot plus internet.

It’s a scam in my eyes, most things monthly based are to “hide” how much it is actually costing the consumer. Take Spotify, $10/mo not bad but $120/yr to listen to music? I better be listening to that shit 10 hrs a day every day for that much. I can buy a pretty darn decent radio for that much so you are paying the bribe for no commercials (until everyone is a subscriber)
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:27:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I’m just saying everything subscription based will increase. They got ya hooked. (Along with EVERYTHING else but) I have some friends who do this stuff and some stuff I would like on one carrier and other stuff I’d want from another carrier. How many different sub services do I have to have to get the 10% content (combined) I want to watch? 3-4? That adds up to a lot plus internet.

It’s a scam in my eyes, most things monthly based are to “hide” how much it is actually costing the consumer. Take Spotify, $10/mo not bad but $120/yr to listen to music? I better be listening to that shit 10 hrs a day every day for that much. I can buy a pretty darn decent radio for that much so you are paying the bribe for no commercials (until everyone is a subscriber)
View Quote
I think it was less during the days of the DVD. I think the current price is reasonable for what you get at today at $8.99
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#15]
You guys are kidding yourselves if you thinking streaming will reamin cheaper then cable in the near future.

They traded growth for cheap prices to kill cable.  Now that everyone has or is switching and cable is dying they can start jacking up prices.

WTF did you "cut the cable" guys think was going to happen?

You really think they wouldnt care about their bottom line at some point?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:32:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone have problems with their IP address using Hulu Live?

I have to pay extra for a static IP and I’ve read you get “verify location” error messages. And you can only get 4 or 5 before you’re locked out if you don’t have a static IP
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think it was less during the days of the DVD. I think the current price is reasonable for what you get at today at $8.99
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pay for the $16.99/month version since I got my 4k TV. It's worth it for the stuff that is 4k. The Planet Earth/Blue Planet stuff is amazing
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You guys are kidding yourselves if you thinking streaming will reamin cheaper then cable in the near future.

They traded growth for cheap prices to kill cable.  Now that everyone has or is switching and cable is dying they can start jacking up prices.

View Quote
Has cable not gone up in price over the years?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I pay for the $16.99/month version since I got my 4k TV. It's worth it for the stuff that is 4k. The Planet Earth/Blue Planet stuff is amazing
View Quote
I still have a 1080P TV but I am due for a 4K TV. I will definitely switch to the 4K service when I get a new tube. I love the Planet Earth stuff.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Put up an antenna and get free over the air v like we had in the old days. I love my antenna.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:39:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Dumped Nutflix a while back and told DirecTV Now to take a hike when they went to 60.

Now have Philo, $20 a mo and no buffering
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Hulu has been a good option for us that I like better than strictly cable. Live TV, no-ads Hulu on demand, ESPN+, and Disney+ for about $60 a month. They bundle Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+ together so when Disney+ came out it was essentially free with the 3 bundled. Ill take that for $60 a month vs. cable which is just whatever is playing on each channel at the time.

This will be about $10 a month increase for us so $70. I'd love it if we lived in an area with good OTA reception but we're in a natural valley with a high side in between us and where the TV towers mostly come from. When I've done online channel searches for our address we'd get 2-3 shit channels at best.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a perfectly reasonable price, just not for me as I’m only interested in maybe 2-4 shows.
But how many have that plus a couple or few other ones. They see people will pay it and they come out on top so we’ll be seeing most everything be subscription based. Look at phones, pay $33/mo and when your 2 yrs is up, you give us a perfectly good phone we’ll sell and you can keep the sub going for the next two years and so on. You never have a phone that is “paid for” but adds another $30+ /mo onto your bill which is already pushing too high.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Trying both hulu and YouTube tv right now since PS vue is going away.
Hulu live plus unlimited DVR and more than 2 streams is $60 a month  (now $70 with the increase), YouTube TV is $50 for unlimited DVR and 3 streams (which I can deal with), guess it's YouTube tv for me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Roger that - still $25/month plus tax.  I have an antenna on the roof and and that's another 30+ channels on top of Sling and about 4 other free streaming sites available on ROKU.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I cut the cord, increased my net speed and still saved $50 plus a month.

And neither the net nor sling have increased in the 2 years,  even tho my internet was bumped up for free.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That is a perfectly reasonable price, just not for me as I’m only interested in maybe 2-4 shows.
But how many have that plus a couple or few other ones. They see people will pay it and they come out on top so we’ll be seeing most everything be subscription based. Look at phones, pay $33/mo and when your 2 yrs is up, you give us a perfectly good phone we’ll sell and you can keep the sub going for the next two years and so on. You never have a phone that is “paid for” but adds another $30+ /mo onto your bill which is already pushing too high.
View Quote
That's why I am contemplating getting cable again. I don't really watch too much TV in the first place but I do have a few subscriptions.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Again?

time to cancel.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That's why I am contemplating getting cable again. I don't really watch too much TV in the first place but I do have a few subscriptions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn’t there some a la cart cable deal where you pay for the channels you want? Probably still too expensive for what it is but at least you get the channels you want.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#29]
People don't think Carriage fees be the way they are but they due.

I bet that $10 increase is because of ESPN. That's about what they charge cable companies per subscriber even if the subscriber doesn't watch ESPN.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Isn’t there some a la cart cable deal where you pay for the channels you want? Probably still too expensive for what it is but at least you get the channels you want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not tnat I have seen.

You can buy different packages, but not channels individually.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 5:52:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not tnat I have seen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not tnat I have seen.

Stupid, but kind of proves my point. Seems cheap with packages for $15 but it’s geared toward people that are uber cheap or will watch anything. If you want outdoors or specialty channels you are “forced” to pay more. Just like that cable I already have.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Just cancelled them, have been trying out them and youtube tv and was going to go  ahead with hulu live today since they were cheaper. Not anymore I got the email that they were going up and just cancelled my trial and told them why. I will be going youtube tv
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I got the email today....Live with no commercials going up to $60.99.

I’ll be canceling it when I get home.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#34]
They are getting lit up on social media, people are ripping them a new one.

Phone wait times of 315 minutes
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#35]
What in the blue fuck is going on in here?

Ad free Hulu+ is only $13 a month.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hulu live is live tv basically cable same channels and same content and same times as cable
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
pretty soon we will go full circle and cable will be cheaper than the streaming services, with my bundle I pay about that much for cable
View Quote
It already is if you have Hulu, Netflix, Disney etc.

I think what is going to happen is people will just tune out. I think they all are pricing themselves out of existence.

TBH, most of the price increases come from the content creators, not the distributors.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#38]
youtube TV makes financial sense, but dang I hate google
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hulu live is live tv basically cable same channels and same content and same times as cable
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[Rick] Well, that's just CableTV with extra steps. [/Rick]
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea but about half the price
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not in my AO. They want to bundle everything with my internet. I have to check it out. Seeing posts below mention HULU has the same stuff as cable for cheaper.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#42]
https://www.fubo.tv/welcome is another option
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
youtube TV makes financial sense, but dang I hate google
View Quote
You get a discount in exchange for each and every bit of personal info they can datamine from you.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Yea, fuck that!  I have the low end hulu for about $8 a month.  For sports, maybe check out Sling. I was a subscriber for $25 a month but dropped it because I didn't watch much. Picked it back up for a month to watch the baseball playoffs. No contract. Do you have a tv antenna?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
There’s a couple free services; IMDb app, Pluto. There there’s Amazon video that’s free with prime. ATT watch Tv is free with unlimited data cellphone plan.

I’m only paying a monthly fee for Netflix and getting ready to cancel it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Dumped Nutflix a while back and told DirecTV Now to take a hike when they went to 60.

View Quote
How do you like Philo?  That seems to be a deal.  $20/month for cable channels.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:43:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Anybody that signed up for that crap? Who do you think pays for the 50 million a year NFL player? Suckers. I haven't payed for tv like EVER. No wonder people are broke. Talked to some worker at HomoDepot that's paying $150+ a month for TV he hardly watches. Why?
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Curious as well given we r dumping hulu now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 7:53:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also seems to expand the movies and older shows available as content on-demand.  A lot of stuff I look up says it's only available if I subscribe to Live TV.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(He looks like Homelander there)
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top