Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Today OP was a cool guy
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I never had a physics teacher that cute.
View Quote

Fixed it.

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

2.33333_ to be precise.
28" of water column= 1 psi.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FYI...

For every 2.3 ft of vertical water depth, the pressure increases by 1 psi.
It's even more for salt water.

-ZA

2.33333_ to be precise.

27.7 InH20 is equal to 1 PSI.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Awesome post OP
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot all say "no shit"  
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I dealt with this a lot in my career.
Pump curves, tank elevations, etc.
Had a supervisor once who was fascinated I could determine tank level by water pressure, but I think he had a degree in beekeeping or something.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
2.31 ft of water equals 1 psi. Water is at 4 deg C for that standard. You could go to 2.306 for extra precision, but everybody uses 2.31.

Water is the most dense at 4 deg C.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2.33333_ to be precise.
2.31 ft of water equals 1 psi. Water is at 4 deg C for that standard. You could go to 2.306 for extra precision, but everybody uses 2.31.

Water is the most dense at 4 deg C.

And GD is the most dense at room temperature

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Nice boat!  Hey!  It floats!

If you want to see power of water, try freezing it. 100,000 psi
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, bad idea.
Most compressors will blow contaminants like oil, good way to get pneumonia at the least.
There are special compressors called hookah made specifically for shallow diving.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/19372/IMG_4076_jpeg-2931987.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol!  Don't do this.

I mean what could possibly go wrong?  Rust in lungs is the least concern.

Yeah, bad idea.
Most compressors will blow contaminants like oil, good way to get pneumonia at the least.
There are special compressors called hookah made specifically for shallow diving.

I did it once.  Had to glue a vinyl patch at the bottom of an 8' pool.  Took about 5 minutes and a weight belt.

I made a makeshift filter out of some PVC, some clean cotton rags, and a wad of activated charcoal I stole from my old aquarium supplies.

Yeah, I don't recommend it.  It's dumb, but in a pinch it did the job.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:43:17 PM EDT
[#10]

There has never been a more appropriate avatar for a post.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Gravity pump. How does that work? Hydraulics are cool.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:44:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
She's a Wisconsin 10
View Quote

I wouldn't kick her out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As a PADI guy that's interesting.
Thanks
View Quote

Same here.  And the math checks out on about 18 inches for a snorkel: https://van.physics.illinois.edu/ask/listing/2253
This means to operate any kind of snorkel at depth would require pressurization of your vessel from the snorkel at the surface?  Is that even possible?
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Ok. Story please
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Thanks

Quoted:
Don’t breathe UNREGULATED compressed air
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:45:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I want to try taking my old CPAP machine out of storage and see if I can use it under water in the pool, or maybe mod it for pool use.  . Mine uses a mask which covers my nose and mouth.
View Quote

This sounds like SCUBA with extra steps.

You'd be better off finding a cheap HVLP pump.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:58:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ok. Story please
View Quote

Stock photo, but I have seen and repaired popped pools, the one I remember best popped during a heavy thunderstorm on a hillside and no ground water was present.

Pool was just acid washed and refilling, popped 3 feet out of the ground, the repair was to leave it 3 feet out of the ground, core drill bottom of pool and pump grout under pool

Had custom rails and ladders made, the nice part was only leaves falling from trees would go into pool, Pool was located about 35 miles north of NYC
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:25:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Don't skyscrapers have tanks on the upper floors for flushing toilets and such?
View Quote
Sounds like a good hook for a disaster movie.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:36:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Could have told you that and I learned it in the 3rd or 4th grade.

My dad found a tube and showed me how the "breathing through reeds" in the movies was bullshit.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:46:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Princeton physics and they're learning what most people learn in high school? WTF?
View Quote

Her students apparently helped her set up the experiment. This stunt was done for PR or community outreach. Older parents and adolescents were also in the crowd.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Bernoulli had an equation for this sort of thing
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I demonstrated head pressure to a group of coworkers by attaching a balloon to a section of flexible tubing full of water. Laying flat the balloon is nearly flat but it expands when I raised the tube up high.

The other experiment I did in front of them was using a large water bottle with a hole drilled in it drip in to a bottom section of bottle taped to the base. At rest it slowly drips. With a rope tied to it I would spin it rapidly and the drip becomes a stream. Centrifugal force like a pump.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 9:57:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Her students apparently helped her set up the experiment. This stunt was done for PR or community outreach. Older parents and adolescents were also in the crowd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Princeton physics and they're learning what most people learn in high school? WTF?

I was more concerned that they weren't smart enough to install the hose clamps first.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Same here.  And the math checks out on about 18 inches for a snorkel: https://van.physics.illinois.edu/ask/listing/2253
This means to operate any kind of snorkel at depth would require pressurization of your vessel from the snorkel at the surface?  Is that even possible?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks

Most places call it Snuba, and it's basically a big fancy mask and they pump air down to you via a tube.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#26]
If you think about inhaling and exhaling,  even above water surface there is a limit to how far you can breath through a pipe. Go try to drink with a straw. Now try to drink through a ten ft tube. Much harder. It's as much a function of the bodies ability to internally create pressure and suction as it is ambient atmospheric pressure. There is a reason that man invented pumps
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Most places call it Snuba, and it's basically a big fancy mask and they pump air down to you via a tube.
View Quote

When I was in my early years of the pool biz we would dive on leaking vinal liners or any pool with a shell leak with an oilless air compressor and this type of mask where the air would enter and escape out a check valve.

We would never dive alone, and it been heard top side guy would lite up a joint and blow smoke into the compressor intake

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#28]
By 7
Quoted:

I have a picture of the voyager in flight, signed by the entire flight crew
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A column of water 100' high and 1" thick has as much pressure at the bottom as a dam 100' high and hundreds of acre feet in volume.

Link to video.

Dad got me into snorkel/scuba diving when I was 14 or so. I asked him "why are snorkels so short?" He cut a 3' length of PVC, put a couple of elbows on it and sent me to the shallow end of the pool. I Could Not Breathe  beyond about 18"! The water pressure was too great.

The same concept was demonstrated when they pressure tested the fuel tanks on the Rutan Voyager aircraft. They hoisted a garden hose 50' up the side of the hangar and connected it to the fuel tank and kept adding water till the tank deformed.

I have a picture of the voyager in flight, signed by the entire flight crew

I have a copy of their book "Voyager," signed by Dick & Jeana. I donated a few bucks before the flight, at an airshow; I think I bought a few gallons of avgas!
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There was a recent experiment with carbon fiber bonded to titanium that tested this....
View Quote

Din't go very well, did it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#30]
She plays accordion and sings well.

KATERINA VISNJIC, Dr. sci. in SERBIA
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#31]
What kind of tubing did they use? I'm surprised that didn't explode first.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Garden hose.
Now someone calculate the pressure at the bottom of the hose.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I thought this would be a thread about leaking basements.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks like chlorine tubing that I use on a roll-a -chem feeder.

I don't see it nylon reenforced.

vinyl Tubing 7/16"" Od

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hose and tubing is available that can hold high pressures.

Burst strength is way higher than maximum allowable pressure rating.

That thin glass flask is delicate.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Now consider, if you will, a giraffe and the hydrostatic pressure differential in its brain between browsing leaves from the top of a tree and grazing grass off of the ground.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Now consider, if you will, a giraffe and the hydrostatic pressure differential in its brain between browsing leaves from the top of a tree and grazing grass off of the ground.
https://measuringstuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/8.5-x-11-68.jpg
View Quote

Their heart must be massive.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Their heart must be massive.
View Quote

They have a special valve system in their necks; this keeps the blood from flowing too fast and hard.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yes, Katerina is a cutie and musically talented too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CpjgIi0V5U
View Quote

Katerina is no Khatia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jbHbDena_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqtz6a8ikGg
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just use a run of the mill air compressor and adapt the output to your hose.  Don't forget to regulate the outlet pressure as far as you can before starting and test without it attached to your face.  You can always increase it.  Blowing 40 psi directly into your mouth and nostrils is going to hurt.

Don't go deep.

Also, it's going to smell and taste bad.  lol
View Quote

Could permanently cause damage.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Also, beware Delta P injuries and fatalities.  Friend had a kid die this way in a pool when I was young.  

Dangers of Delta-P

Crab Sucked into Pipe by Delta-P
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In the fire service we called it atmospheric or head pressure. We had a standard of 5 p.s.I. Per floor to overcome head pressure, in addition to other friction loss calculations to achieve proper nozzle pressure on, say the 10th or 12th floor the pumper would be screaming.

Hence the reason you can't pump water up 100 floors.

Yes and they're filled by helicopters, or if it's a environmentally friendly LEED certified building, specifically trained water carrying pigeons.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah, bad idea.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol!  Don’t do this.

I mean what could possibly go wrong?  Rust in lungs is the least concern.

Yeah, bad idea.

There are "breathing air" filter packages available for larger compressors too, for use in hospitals and such.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quiz time.

Is it the weight of the water causing the pressure or the weight of the atmosphere on the water?  They are both fluids.

Or is it the difference in pressure between the glass vessel and air vs water combined with atmosphere?
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
A column of water 100' high and 1" thick has as much pressure at the bottom as a dam 100' high and hundreds of acre feet in volume.

Link to video.

Dad got me into snorkel/scuba diving when I was 14 or so. I asked him "why are snorkels so short?" He cut a 3' length of PVC, put a couple of elbows on it and sent me to the shallow end of the pool. I Could Not Breathe  beyond about 18"! The water pressure was too great.

The same concept was demonstrated when they pressure tested the fuel tanks on the Rutan Voyager aircraft. They hoisted a garden hose 50' up the side of the hangar and connected it to the fuel tank and kept adding water till the tank deformed.
View Quote

That’s a cool video. And a hot teacher.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Hydrostatic pressure is a really big deal on dam foundations.  We use flow nets to calculate the uplift pressure and design accordingly.  Used to do it by hand, now the computer does it for us.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In the fire service we called it atmospheric or head pressure. We had a standard of 5 p.s.I. Per floor to overcome head pressure, in addition to other friction loss calculations to achieve proper nozzle pressure on, say the 10th or 12th floor the pumper would be screaming.

Hence the reason you can’t pump water up 100 floors.
View Quote

Sure you can. You just need positive displacement pumps instead of impeller pumps. Heck, the well that serves my house is 350 feet deep and the pump has no trouble with it.

Vacuum can’t pull a column of water taller than 32 feet, plus or minus.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The diaphragm on the vent is around +/- 15 psi.
They can hold 400 barrels of water. Thats 16,800 gallons of typically salt water
View Quote

You’re talking about rainfall accumulation on top of the roof, right?

Some of those big tanks have “floating” roofs, don’t they?
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#49]
1 ft high of water = .434 psi
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you think about inhaling and exhaling,  even above water surface there is a limit to how far you can breath through a pipe. Go try to drink with a straw. Now try to drink through a ten ft tube. Much harder. It's as much a function of the bodies ability to internally create pressure and suction as it is ambient atmospheric pressure. There is a reason that man invented pumps
View Quote

That’s frictional loss more than anything else.

I forget the math, but it’s not complex.

Given the hose diameter, output elevation, and pump PSI it’s easy to calculate how far the pump can move water down the hose.

They had a wildfire in north Florida back in the 80s, on a flatwoods site, heavy organic soils. They ran a 17 mile hose lay to feed the sprinklers wet tingling  down the peat.

I forget how many, but it was a series of staged engines pumping water to drop tanks, in sequence, to get the water to the fire. I’m sure it was under 500 feet between tanks.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top