User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
We got a decent weekend out of their sales pitch.  30 some years back, when we were poors.  I wouldn’t do it again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife and I went to one of those presentations in Orlando.  They would not take NO for an answer.  Kept bringing me out more and more offers.  That 2 hour presentation ended up being 4+ hours.  I started reading the paperwork and FL had a law where you could cancel the whole timeshare agreement with no penalty if you sent a written notice within 30 days of signing up.  I signed up for one, got my free dinner tickets, and sent the cancellation notice as soon as I got home.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP will you tell us the truth of what happens?
Because I forsee DAYS of a nightmare in your future.
View Quote

I will!
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My wife and I went to one of those presentations in Orlando.  They would not take NO for an answer.  Kept bringing me out more and more offers.  That 2 hour presentation ended up being 4+ hours.  I started reading the paperwork and FL had a law where you could cancel the whole timeshare agreement with no penalty if you sent a written notice within 30 days of signing up.  I signed up for one, got my free dinner tickets, and sent the cancellation notice as soon as I got home.
View Quote

You sat through 4 hours of bullshit for a free dinner?

Why not just go buy dinner at a restaurant?
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Yer Fucked OP.   Call an ambulance on yourself and say you have “Chest Pains”.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]
My last telemarketers time share offer to Branson MO. ended with me asking to describe the type of clothing they were wearing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because I was a young dumb active duty poor.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL I've never heard of having to pay money up front to attend but then I read down through the thread and understand why they're now charging money they say they'll refund!
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:40:08 PM EDT
[#12]
2 hours is 6.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fair enough.
View Quote

Looking at the laws in FL now, looks like you can cancel within 10 calendar days.  Maybe that is what it was then.  Being the asshole that I am today, I think it would fun to sign up for the biggest timeshare package they had and get all the free stuff they'd give me and cancel it as soon as I got home.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Don’t sign anything. You are screwed. Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#15]
First there's nothing wrong doing what you're doing. We did it multiple times and it's very easy to do. Why not take all the free shit if you have the time. As soon as it's over look them dead in the eye and say we came for the free stuff, and no is our answer. Where do I check out? Most of the time that works. You get out in 2 hours and you're done.

Second I never thought I would own a timeshare and I do now. Except it is a privately owned place that has existed for over 40 years down in the keys. It is pretty much just a place to stay but they have a private boat ramp and boat dock for our boat. They do have a pool. We only pay $450 for the week. When the hurricane hit we did have an extra cost and believe it or not it was only an extra $125. There's nowhere you can go down in the keys and stay for $450 for a whole week. It's the best purchase I ever bought. We only paid $1,500 for the deed . We go every year. We're trying to get a second unit down there but they never really come up for sale because everyone holds on to these ones. The big timeshare companies I would never buy into. Good luck and enjoy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I have never heard of paying them up front. You fvcked son.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Long story short, I just called about a routine issue with my IHG Rewards card.  They said hey will you listen to a brief message if we bribe you?  I said sure, why not.  Bottom line I gave them $250 for a 4 day/3 night stay at a hotel to be fully refunded when I listen to a 2 hour spiel about timeshares.  LOL.  I don't want a fucking timeshare but I'm getting old and I like wasting other people's time, so why not!?

I fully intend to sit there for 2 hours and say NO!

How fucked am I?
View Quote

So, you paid upfront to waste their time and to get something for free?  Sure, they're shysters but trying to get free shit from the shysters makes you... a shyster.

*shrug*
It's your integrity.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I’d be careful for those thinking they can just get out of it by rescinding their agreement.  They’ll make all sorts of obstacles preventing you and claiming six ways from Sunday that you didn’t notify them within the timeframe or proper channels.  

Just like those free offers…you can cancel anytime.  Yet they always continue hitting your credit card one or two more times.  

The bankruptcy angle might be the best bet to being allowed to leave.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:08:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Enjoy owning a timeshare, OP
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Long story short, I just called about a routine issue with my IHG Rewards card.  They said hey will you listen to a brief message if we bribe you?  I said sure, why not.  Bottom line I gave them $250 for a 4 day/3 night stay at a hotel to be fully refunded when I listen to a 2 hour spiel about timeshares.  LOL.  I don't want a fucking timeshare but I'm getting old and I like wasting other people's time, so why not!?

How fucked am I?
View Quote

It is a scam.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#21]
IHG. So Holiday inn Club vacations!

My wife and I did not want a time share either. But we did. and we actually love it.

Going to a resort Thursday in Arizona.

The Mertle Beach one is my favorite. We have stayed there 3 times.

Ask me questions. I do NOT think it is for everyone. My parents owned a few and they sucked!!!!! But we have been largely happy with Holiday Inn Club Vacations. The first couple years I was ashamed to say I owned a time share.

For HICV..... I hope you are going to Vegas. We bought in Vegas and later found out the maintenance fees are the lowest in Vegas. We stayed in the Orlando resort and talked to some owners who were pissed at their fees. They bought in Orlando and the fees were more than twice ours.

I pay $680 a year maintenance and the Florida people were paying almost 2 grand. We get to stay week long vacations in huge, nice, 2 bedroom 2 bath, full kitchen and laundry for like $50. We have already "made back" the money we would have spent renting similar accommodations.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#22]
This guy thanks you OP

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:22:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll take things I wouldn't do for $250 for an $1000, Alex.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Most people don't want one.   That's why the timeshare promoters go to such great lengths and every high pressure sales tactic to get suckers to sign up.
I never heard of one that wasn't a nightmare.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#25]
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Timeshare guy. This guy go gets.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I know 2 old money families that own timeshares. They bought in the 60s Originally then bought up shares as people died. They own 100% of a few different ones each in Florida. They are rentals now but on unused weeks they let family and friends use them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How fucked am I?
View Quote
They really suckered you.  They took it from a "we will bribe you" and morphed it into a "you pay us to bribe you".
Just write it off as a lesson learned (could have been much worse) and forget all of it (except the lesson).
DO NOT GO - especially if they could sucker you into paying for your own bribe, they WILL get you to sign up for a timeshare.
And you WON'T get your refund.
You've been warned........

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I've sat through time shares before, I have no problems saying no. One my wife and I actually sat through the hole thing, got our room comped (the time share "pitch" was at the hotel we booked) and like $100 meal credit in the hotel. Took about 2 and a half to 3 hours. The second was kinda weird but not at all bad. My parents belong to Westin or one of those time share groups, they booked a condo for us and I explained to our pitch person that my parents already had the membership and they were inheritable and therefore no reason for me to "Buy in". They actually thanked me for not wasting their time and gave us the vouchers that had been promised, we used all the food vouchers and 1 of the two show vouchers. Only spent 20 minutes and didn't have to leave the condo complex.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Wife signed us up for something like that when we were engaged.   I forget what we got.  I want to say it was some $1000 pots or pans and a 2day/3night stay somewhere.  Kind of the same setup. She paid like$200 to "hold our seats" and we had to listen to some sales pitch.  

Man, that shit took ALL day.  The sales pitch was like 2 hrs.  Then u broke off into small groups to try and get people to buy in. Then if u still say no its 1 on 1 time with a sales guy.  That's another hour no matter how many times u are upfront and say no.  THEN another sales pitch with the manager to try and get you.  After what's probably 5-6 hours, we got a gift certificate for some place to pick u0 those pots or pans and some other certificate for the vacation.   I told her never again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#30]
If I was retired and had a lot of free time I'd probably do it just to mess with them.

but I get limited time off in my career and no way and I wasting a day of it wing lectured by crafty salesman trying to coax money out of my bank account for something I don't want or need.

my last car buying experience in 2017 was enough to cure me of the desire to interact with salesmen.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Here is a trick...I got suckered into sitting on one of those with a free breakfast and tickets to some show. Lock your credit before you go...the first thing they will want you to do even before they begin their pitch is fill out a credit application. I did knowing full well it would be denied...it was denied and they let us go after like 20 mins of being there with the tickets in hand

View Quote

I love this idea.  Thank you
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#32]
In for the AAR.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My brother seems to think you can rescind your signature for anything within three days of signing no just about anything. I can see him going along with it and signing everything just to get a free trip, get the tickets, and turn around and tell them he takes back his signature.

He once bought a Jeep and made a loan then walks up to the sales manager's desks two days latter  and tell him he's reminding his signature.  Naturally the manager isn't receptive so my brother leaves the keys in front of him and says the Jeep is in front then walks out. He's spent half his life hanging up, blocking calls, not taking a certified lettter, and running from process servers.
View Quote

I guess it's working out for him then?
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I actually have always been curious about how these things work so I really want to go.  I was already planning a trip to the area (Gatlinburg) so if the $250 gets refunded then great.  To be clear, the "bribe" was a bunch of IHG points just for the phone call.  Those points hit my IHG account within minutes.

If you really don't want to be there I can see how it would be miserable.  I'm genuinely curious, AND I will lock my credit prior to going as suggested in this thread.

There will be an AAR

PS - Told the GF my plan and she is pissed LOL.  Said "enjoy your presentation"  
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How fucked am I?
View Quote
People love their Timeshares so much, there is a whole industry created where you pay them to get you out of your Time Share.

I might be concerned about what kinda place are they giving you for 4/3(refundable) for 250.00???

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I actually have always been curious about how these things work so I really want to go.  I was already planning a trip to the area (Gatlinburg) so if the $250 gets refunded then great.  To be clear, the "bribe" was a bunch of IHG points just for the phone call.  Those points hit my IHG account within minutes.

If you really don't want to be there I can see how it would be miserable.  I'm genuinely curious, AND I will lock my credit prior to going as suggested in this thread.

There will be an AAR

PS - Told the GF my plan and she is pissed LOL.  Said "enjoy your presentation"  
View Quote

I had a very uncomfortable experience with a timeshare salesman in Gatlinburg. At the end they basically were telling me I was an idiot for not buying.  It wasn't worth the voucher that I got that I had to take to a specific bank to get cashed.

Run far away.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I don’t think I have a big ego, but holy shit I have more self-regard then to whore myself out to get freebies and sit through a timeshare sales pitch.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A couple years ago Hilton Vacations offered me a 7 day stay in Hawaii for $569
if I listened to their presentation.
They also threw in a rental car, food vouchers for the resort and $200 off my next Hilton stay.

Yep, it was close to 2hrs for the presentation on my next to last day there.

I just said Thank You and Goodbye.  It's not rocket science.

Did it at Cabo too, got a free shuttle ride from the airport, free breakfast, free 1/2 day fishing trip and free 2hr UTV/ATV rides.

It's not hard to say no.
View Quote

My coworker with four time shares says differently.

I definitely don't miss the "we need to sell our days at our timeshare and no one else in the office wanted it please pay us and go" pitch.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Years ago an acquaintance went to one that promised a free Bell and Howell camera, when they handed it to him he thought the box was empty, cheap plastic POS.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Never been to one you have to pay upfront.  It's always been you have to pay if you don't sit through a seminar.

Good luck getting that money back
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:39:51 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a question for the people that have a timeshare. Have you ever thought about who gets it when you are dead? Why would anyone buy something that their heirs CANNOT refuse? I really cannot understand a law that says your heirs cannot refuse something to begin with, it's just legal thievery.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#46]
If you are lucky then the two hr presentation will only last four hrs.  Be prepared for five or six.

The people putting it on make their living getting people to accept.  They are good at it and have heard your denial a million times.  They are well trained in being able to put pressure on you and not accepting you saying no.

Most people that get these timeshares regret it.  Escalating cost and you will pay hell to ever get out of it.

If you pay someone to get you out of the contract it will cost you a lot of money.

Run Forrest, run!
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Karate Island is a documentary.
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Ask whether sex is included with the purchase of the timeshare.  
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Reading this thread and hearing some say that they resist these scams easy to reap the freebies, reminds me how different we all are. Some people ignore beggers, some call them over to give them cash, but me?? I absolutely have no patience being fucked with and don't want anybody  ringing my doorbell or soliciting me at the airport or in the store  aisles. You can't even pump gas without a bum approaching you. Why would I want to spend 6 hours like that??
Link Posted: 3/28/2023 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Ask whether sex is included with the purchase of the timeshare.  
View Quote

Every time a timeshare is purchased, someone gets fucked.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top