Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Correct.

You wanna know how I know the OP wasn't in FFA or done any meat judging?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those Kroger steaks don’t have a great color. In my experience with Costco meat, it’s a very good quality.

Correct.

I know it's bad, but what visual clues give it away? The coloring, the fat distribution? I wasn't in FFA.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What’s that all about?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Costco "Blade Tenderized" no thanks.

What’s that all about?

It makes it much more tender. you can’t beat Costco prime steaks for quality. Better than any high end steak place.

I’ve never had a steak better than the ones I grill at home. Including 100 bucks per steak super high end.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#4]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:21:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The Nolan Ryan steaks look 10 times better than the Costco ???????
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
CTPT:  USDA PRIME vs. whatever (“tender”?).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:. Their prime steak guys are great, can’t be beat. . I can’t go back to choice. Haven’t bought choice in over a decade.
CTPT:  USDA PRIME vs. whatever (“tender”?).

It’s usda prime. I only eat prime. Choice is for poors.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Going by o.p.’s picture, I’d say you are correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kroger's meat sucks.

Those Ribeyes in ops picture look great
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"With Card"

They make money on selling all your habits. What is the price if you don't want the butthole inspection by the grocery store?

Can you walk into Kroger any day of the week any time of the year and get that price?
View Quote

My Kroger card has a fake name and email tied to it and I pay cash.  They can track and sell the buying habits of "[email protected]" all they want...
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"With Card"

They make money on selling all your habits. What is the price if you don't want the butthole inspection by the grocery store?

Can you walk into Kroger any day of the week any time of the year and get that price?
View Quote

So does everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I know it's bad, but what visual clues give it away? The coloring, the fat distribution? I wasn't in FFA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those Kroger steaks don’t have a great color. In my experience with Costco meat, it’s a very good quality.

Correct.

I'm no expert, but visually, you want the cut to be a light cherry red color and finely dispursed marbling.

You'll notice a color difference and marbling difference between the two cuts.  The Kroger is lighter color and the chunks of fat are larger within the cut as opposed to the Costco cut--even though they are both listed as Choice.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kroger's meat sucks.

Why? Because they have more fat then actual meat?  
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Unless it's a special occasion, buy the cheaper one and learn to cook cheaper cuts of meat so they are good.
This will give you extra money to buy more cool gun shit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Kroger consistently has meat on sale. Every time I go in there is a sale going on. Not so with Costco and then you have to factor in cost of membership.

I’ve been a member now for 3 months. Not sure if it was a value. I’m going to start tracking gas prices next.
View Quote

If your Costco membership isn't paying for itself you're doing something seriously wrong.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What’s that all about?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s that all about?

Means he has a weak immune system.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Costco sucks.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Op hates Costco, and is using circular logic to try and justify his hatred.

The only question is why?

Where did Costco touch you op?

Your no-no zone?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Back when I was in college, I'd hit the 24hr Kroger on my way home from my job as a bouncer.

I'd get there right as the meat dept. guy was marking stuff down and would make out with an absurd amount of meat for next to nothing.

I miss the good 'ol days.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"With Card"

View Quote

Yes.

Tell the girl ringing you up you forgot your card and she'll just grab one off the stack they give to new customers and scan it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Kroger marks down old product to sell it. If you notice it’s not even graded beef. It just says “certified tender”… All costco beef is graded choice or higher. Who knows where that Kroger beef comes from.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been saying Costco's isn't a deal for years. It's like talking to cult members they don't believe me LOL. I have a membership through my brother-in-law's business so I go in and look at the food. And I go hmmm it's cheaper at Kroger's LOL. The people pay for the privilege of paying more that's even funnier.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:49:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s that all about?

And you have dental problems.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:50:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I've never heard anyone say Costco is the cheapest, but they have never tried to be.

They also aren't the most expensive, but they have good quality products.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It makes it much more tender. you can’t beat Costco prime steaks for quality. Better than any high end steak place.

I’ve never had a steak better than the ones I grill at home. Including 100 bucks per steak super high end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s that all about?

I've never had a prime ribeye and thought this needs to be much more tender. What makes "super high end" steaks is the aging process.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What’s that all about?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s that all about?

Maybe read the Costco label you posted more carefully.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 4:51:46 PM EDT
[#28]
How thick are the cuts?

WM has sirloin at $x, Sams has it at $x, so same price, but WM cuts are like 3/4", while Sama is 1.5".

Also, sale vs normal as mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'm no expert, but visually, you want the cut to be a light cherry red color and finely dispursed marbling.

You'll notice a color difference and marbling difference between the two cuts.  The Kroger is lighter color and the chunks of fat are larger within the cut as opposed to the Costco cut--even though they are both listed as Choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.

Meat expert, huh?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:05:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How thick are the cuts?

WM has sirloin at $x, Sams has it at $x, so same price, but WM cuts are like 3/4", while Sama is 1.5".

Also, sale vs normal as mentioned.
View Quote

I did buy some steaks from Walmart and they didn’t taste as good as Kroger’s steaks to me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Kroger consistently has meat on sale. Every time I go in there is a sale going on. Not so with Costco and then you have to factor in cost of membership.

I’ve been a member now for 3 months. Not sure if it was a value. I’m going to start tracking gas prices next.
View Quote

If you buy gas there you dont have to figure in the memby cost.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It’s not always the cheapest, it’s usually among the best though.

Also, looking at your tags, it looks like Costco is cheaper outside of Kroger running a sale… Costco puts meat on sale too. What’s the point of all this?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Kroger meat is  already greying out.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Cheaper isn’t always better. Costco’s meat is consistently better than Kroger. And for those crying about the cost of membership, go be poor elsewhere. I got the Executive Membership years ago, which gives cash back on purchases. My cash back every year has been more than enough to cover the next year’s membership, which means I’ve only ever bought a membership once, almost a decade ago.

Oops, I mean Costco is terrible, stay away. Wear your pajama pants while bringing your seven screaming children to Walmart, they have the best deals.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kroger's meat sucks.

Negative. They are are way down the chuck end.  Eye not good. Cap ok.

Look like a really shitty cut. Marbling is good, but that’s because chuck end. It will be chewy as hell
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#36]
FPNI and SPNI. And so do some other replies.

Nice try OP.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Is Nolan Ryan as good at raising beef as he was at pitching and face punching Robin Ventura?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I've never had a prime ribeye and thought this needs to be much more tender. What makes "super high end" steaks is the aging process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s that all about?

And I’ll say again I’ve never had a better steak than a Costco prime I grill at home. Why?

I pick the cut (this is more important than everything else)
I season the way I like
I cook to perfect doneness
I cook over charcoal
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes your maths are wrong.

Have you ever been to Aldis?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And I’ll say again I’ve never had a better steak than a Costco prime I grill at home. Why?

I season the way I like
I cook over charcoal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s that all about?

I season the way I like
I cook over charcoal

Man I got a cast iron sear down to protection and prefer that over charcoal. All the beef tallow and Irish butter taste awesome.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, looking at your tags, it looks like Costco is cheaper outside of Kroger running a sale… Costco puts meat on sale too. What’s the point of all this?

So, why does Kroger have to constantly put their meat on sale - but Costco doesnt?
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Cheaper isn’t always better. Costco’s meat is consistently better than Kroger. And for those crying about the cost of membership, go be poor elsewhere. I got the Executive Membership years ago, which gives cash back on purchases. My cash back every year has been more than enough to cover the next year’s membership, which means I’ve only ever bought a membership once, almost a decade ago.

Oops, I mean Costco is terrible, stay away. Wear your pajama pants while bringing your seven screaming children to Walmart, they have the best deals.
View Quote

This.  

Executive Membership is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So, why does Kroger have to constantly put their meat on sale - but Costco doesnt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because like one poster pointed out Costco is like a cult and plenty of people are drinking the cool aid. With their $1 hotdogs.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#45]
I like costco. I can consistently turns this

Into this

And is it tender and delicious!
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Krogers is on sale and half the weight of the Costco. And that price per weight looks like a Prime dry aged steak price. But it’s not Prime or even Premium. It’s a “choice” cut. That pack should be $5 for those cuts not $30!

My father does Kroger Steaks. Meh… I’ll eat it when I go visit and he cooks them. But lots of it I don’t eat because it’s mostly fat and tendons. Huge difference in quality between what he gets and what I buy myself from the local butcher. Costco/ Sams has good steaks for the price.

I’ll admit I’m more of a fan of the NY Strip and not the Ribeye.
So not claiming to be an expert in it. Those particular steaks don’t pass my visual test.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Costco is not always cheaper, I drove clear across town to my local Costco, and it was $3 cheaper at Target. You have to shop them just like any store, but "generally" they are cheaper; but then you have to balance your travel time, and you buy huge quantities. If you have family probably worth it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Costco is not always cheaper, I drove clear across town to my local Costco, and it was $3 cheaper at Target. You have to shop them just like any store, but "generally" they are cheaper; but then you have to balance your travel time, and you buy huge quantities. If you have family probably worth it.
View Quote

Maybe, but Target's meat is tuck-friendly. No discount or price difference is worth supporting that.

In my area, our Kroger chain can occasionally beat Costco on meat price with a sale, but quality requires more luck than I ever have while shopping.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Costco beef has gotten expensive and ive never been impressed with the quality. Their ground beef is still a decent deal.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:21:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meat sales at regular grocery stores are loss leaders while Costco already has tons of other incentives for people to go there.

The irony is the OP's response to this is so close to figuring that out for himself, and yet so far away.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top