Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 2:57:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How are you determining this, on a professional level?  What are the criteria that you must follow, as whatever your profession is, to make this yes/no decision?

I am not a fan a miniature horse clopping into a restaurant either, I think it is ridiculous but I don't make these decisions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a proper use of a dog.
How are you determining this, on a professional level?  What are the criteria that you must follow, as whatever your profession is, to make this yes/no decision?

I am not a fan a miniature horse clopping into a restaurant either, I think it is ridiculous but I don't make these decisions.
I've not yet lost a single couch.

I assure you it works.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 3:23:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I can sign off  based on the person’s need. I am not an animal trainer,

You guys are telling me the mastiff is sweet. Fine. I accept your experience.

But I don’t want to give service dog status to some untrained animal or really any animal so you can then fly with it or go to a restaurant.

Nobody can challenge service dog status. I’m not giving somebody cover for that.
View Quote
lol, this won't last. Soon any person or animal will be able to identify as a service animal, and neither government nor insurance company will be allowed to stop it. The fanatical animal lover lobby is strong.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 3:27:04 AM EDT
[#3]
So you are basically against signing off on ESA shit, but then felt it necessary to go full derp and bring in a specific breed of dog that obviously you've never owned.

Having owned 3 Italian Mastitis (Cane Corsos) I find your implied correlation that these are a bad breed somehow in order to justify your professional decision, then a need to start a thread about it to further your desire for affirmation from others pathetic.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 3:43:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Those who hand out permission slips rarely know wtf they are doing... So is this really a surprise? Really?
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 3:44:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I love those things.  One of my friends in 4th grade had a bulllmastiff and he was a giant drooling teddy bear.  He was so awesome. He loved to play and we used him like a pillow when we read comics.  I wanted one very badly.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 3:54:40 AM EDT
[#6]
wait, is bimba a dog or a woman?
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 4:34:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

...and diabetes.
View Quote
Say what???
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#8]
OP's bed sheets stay wet
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a bullmastiff.  She was bred to keep the couch from floating up into space.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:10:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The Mastiff is one of the sweetest, most chill dogs you'll ever come across. In fact, the reason that the Bullmastiff (60% Mastiff/40% Bulldog) was even bred is because the Mastiff wasn't as agile and aggressive as they needed it to be. There is nothing to fear from a Mastiff.....unless you're in the process of injuring his human. In that case, you're probably going to get mauled by a 200 lb. dog.
View Quote
Or a 343 lb. dog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zorba_
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:13:20 AM EDT
[#11]
How about a Peacock!
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You provide a letter over your signature. The problem is that professionals are signing off on untrained animals- chickens, ferrets, you name it.

I’m not participating in this lunacy.

Wiki says it simply:

A service dog is a term used in the USA to refer to any type of assistance dog specifically trained to help people who have disabilities, such as visual impairment, hearing impairments, mental disorders, seizures, mobility impairment, and diabetes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please explain- under what capacity are you "signing off" on a service dog? Are you certifying that you've trained the dog to perform a specific job for someone with a disability, or ????

Edit- how does a Doctor "sign off"/attest to a dogs performance? Is he/she a part time trainer?

Edit 2- your post is about an emotional support dog NOT a service dog. I'm still curious how a Doctor "signs off" on a specific dogs ability and suitability to perform "emotional support".
You provide a letter over your signature. The problem is that professionals are signing off on untrained animals- chickens, ferrets, you name it.

Wiki says it simply:

A service dog is a term used in the USA to refer to any type of assistance dog specifically trained to help people who have disabilities, such as visual impairment, hearing impairments, mental disorders, seizures, mobility impairment, and diabetes.
How does a dog aid people with mobility impairment? I could maybe use one if it could.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nothing to fear? Not at all true.

Tail strikes to the knees and balls, farts that could strip paint, and you could slip and fall on drool spots.

Very dangerous creatures.
View Quote
I see you know the breed well.

My brother rescues and breeds Pressa Canarios (Spanish Mastiff).

Of his 4, 2 he raised and are as sweet as candy to anyone they know. 200 lb and 160 lb. lap dogs. If they don't know you, it's game on though.

His other two are rescues and are extremely aggressive towards anyone but him. Including his daughter. Which is why they stay outside in the kennels. They are absolutely beautiful girls though. Which is why he keeps them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:26:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
wait, is bimba a dog or a woman?
View Quote
Bimba
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you know the difference between a service animal, and an emotional support animal?

If you're "signing off" on them, you'd better.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:30:53 AM EDT
[#16]
WTF is a service horse? His "service" is you can ride him?
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#17]
That's a.....?
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#18]
My mastiffs are glorious. Never knew I could try to get them on a plane.  Will try now!
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Good no sign OP.

Fuck these kinds of people trying to work the system.  If they actually need a service or emotional support dog, they need to get something that’s fucking appropriate.  A giant bull mastiff is not.

But much freedumb and my emotional support pit bull
So much derp from people these days.  What happened to people being reasonable and rational.

Post above me fucking 1000% makes my point.  5 year old gets mauled by emotional support pit bull.

There needs to be more regulation on these “emotional support” animals.  Make them be trained to the same level as service dogs.  If they can’t pass that, no emotional support animal status because they can’t appropriately be in public.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Could I get you to sign off on my emotional support gun?
View Quote
I need one of these as well
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

But I don’t want to give service dog status to some untrained animal or really any animal so you can then fly with it or go to a restaurant.

Nobody can challenge service dog status. I’m not giving somebody cover for that.
View Quote
ESAs aren’t service dogs and there’s no reason you have to write any letter or document you don’t feel comfortable with.

It’s all going to be ok. There really isn’t a problem here. You said no and that’s alright.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This thread is confusing so I searched the net.

It appears only licensed Mental Health Professionals can prescribe an ESA (emotional support animal). Medical doctors cannot. Is this correct? How did a General Practice Doc prescribe one?

It also appears that the prescription is for an ESA, but NOT any specific animal. That would mean you would NOT be "signing off" on the dog, just the person. Is that correct?

It seems pretty clear that ESA's do not have the rights/privileges of a service dog either.
View Quote
Stop bringing facts into this. OP is upset.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Wiki says it simply:

View Quote
If you’re a medical professional and have to deal with this, you seriously need to educate yourself. You don’t have to approve of anything, but you owe it to your patients to know what the hell the law is and what the various categories of animal are, and what an ESA letter is vs a service dog. You should be embarrassed about your willful ignorance.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#25]
My mastiff needs emotional support.

200 pound pussy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
WTF is a service horse? His "service" is you can ride him?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Ahh yes. The emotional support animal. The "look at me!" for veterans and liberal freeloaders alike.

Jesus fuck. If you need an emotional support anything - get your fucking shit together. Stop being such a gigantic pussy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I saw a great Dane service dog the other day. It actually looked like it worked well for the guy because it looked like a sight dog and was easy to hold onto the harness on it's back.
View Quote
My Great Dane is more of a disservice dog.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
We had English mastiffs on the farm when I was growing up. They were great with kids, livestock, and other dogs. Really, all they did was sleep and fart.

Why wouldn't they be as good as any other dog for that role? I mean, 99% of this "emotional support" stuff is bullshit anyway, so what difference does it make?

I'm genuinely curious, not looking to argue.
View Quote
Finn agrees with this guy.

Attachment Attached File

PS: Don't mess with his dragon.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I’m not inflicting that on the world.

An emotional support dog.
View Quote
An ESA is not a service dog. They have different legal access allowances and perform vastly different jobs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:51:28 AM EDT
[#31]
The concept of an emotional support dog, or any other animal is fucking absurd.  Grow the fuck up.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My DIL’s AST is a registered service dog. What’s the big deal.

She doesn’t fly with him or shop with him. They car travel so he gets into the hotel without a bunch of bullshit. He stays in his crate.

And he doesn’t fart much or drool.
View Quote
A service dog is not the same as an emotional support animal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 9:54:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Can you imagine signing off on a beast like this?

Though I could have legally. Told the guy it was outside the scope of my work and liability insurance wouldn’t cover it.

Told him I never signed off on disability claims of any kind.

A general practice doc gave it to him.
View Quote
I bet you think AR15s should all be registered, but Mini 14's don't need it with all that harmless wood on them.

(Bull mastiffs, as a breed, are some of the biggest wimps you'll ever meet)
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you’re a medical professional and have to deal with this, you seriously need to educate yourself. You don’t have to approve of anything, but you owe it to your patients to know what the hell the law is and what the various categories of animal are, and what an ESA letter is vs a service dog. You should be embarrassed about your willful ignorance.
View Quote
Unstable people who feel they need a fucking emotional support chicken are the ones who should feel embarrassed.  Fucking absurd.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:03:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
At this point, i’m thinking it’s just a creative writing exercise. No one who actually does this stuff for a living would be so ignorant, nor would they take such pride in their ignorance.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:06:27 AM EDT
[#36]
I train service dogs for many reasons and you dont have the authority to do that.

Good luck on court and let your insurance company know what you did... doc
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Buttmastiffs are often bred and trained to attack genitals.
View Quote
Owners usually have a large stock of peanut butter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#38]
My 100lb American Mastiff and 180lb English Mastiff, they were both the runt, in their natural habitat. They are so ferocious...

OP, stay off my lawn.

ETA My wife has RA. When she is having a flare and having problems walking, our baby (160lber) will walk right next to her so she can put her hand on him to help her steady herself. He learned to do this on his own, he wasn't taught it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Safe move OP, my Bully use to constantly attack my kids.

Attachment Attached File

Dammit I miss her.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:32:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This thread is confusing so I searched the net.

It appears only licensed Mental Health Professionals can prescribe an ESA (emotional support animal). Medical doctors cannot. Is this correct? How did a General Practice Doc prescribe one?

It also appears that the prescription is for an ESA, but NOT any specific animal. That would mean you would NOT be "signing off" on the dog, just the person. Is that correct?

It seems pretty clear that ESA's do not have the rights/privileges of a service dog either.
View Quote
Thanks largely to assumptions about the ADA (because of hordes of professional shitheads suing all of creation for the slightest infraction or inconvenience) the practical line has been successfully blurred between 'pet' and 'service animal,' and now no one is going to say no when someone's fleabag is drug into their business.  Or say no when their signature is needed on some stupid rubber-stamped form.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Has OP  "signed off" on other dogs before but just didnt want to on the mastiff mix?
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Someone with little power and vast ignorance strikes again.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Can you imagine signing off on a beast like this?

Though I could have legally. Told the guy it was outside the scope of my work and liability insurance wouldn’t cover it.

Told him I never signed off on disability claims of any kind.

A general practice doc gave it to him.
View Quote
Service dog or Emotional Support Animal?

What sort of paperwork? There is no real paperwork for a service animal, not even to fly. (At least Alaska Air doesn't require any.)

A mastiff would make a great mobility dog. We know someone whose 180 lb Newfoundland is a mobility dog. His wife was permanently injured when a drunk driver hit their car. The dog is big enough that she can use him to support herself and pull herself up, something a smaller dog could not do.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Oh I didn't forget, I've cleaned many walls and ceilings around here.

Sadly our drooly girl hasn't been with us for a few years, and our English has always been pretty dry mouthed. The puppy hasn't grown into her face yet, but she's a bullie and will probably make a mess. She was also 87lbs at the vets today.

No way in hell I would parade them around in some degrading service dog vest, or make them visit a grocery store, though. They're most content holding the couch down at home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing to fear? Not at all true.

Tail strikes to the knees and balls, farts that could strip paint, and you could slip and fall on drool spots.

Very dangerous creatures.

You forgot about when they shake their heads and foot-long streamers of drool go flying everywhere. I remember seeing em stick to the ceiling a few times!

I'm starting to side with OP on this!
Oh I didn't forget, I've cleaned many walls and ceilings around here.

Sadly our drooly girl hasn't been with us for a few years, and our English has always been pretty dry mouthed. The puppy hasn't grown into her face yet, but she's a bullie and will probably make a mess. She was also 87lbs at the vets today.

No way in hell I would parade them around in some degrading service dog vest, or make them visit a grocery store, though. They're most content holding the couch down at home.
Our Newfie goes for distance rather than height. But he is still a 110 lb puppy.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How does a dog aid people with mobility impairment? I could maybe use one if it could.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please explain- under what capacity are you "signing off" on a service dog? Are you certifying that you've trained the dog to perform a specific job for someone with a disability, or ????

Edit- how does a Doctor "sign off"/attest to a dogs performance? Is he/she a part time trainer?

Edit 2- your post is about an emotional support dog NOT a service dog. I'm still curious how a Doctor "signs off" on a specific dogs ability and suitability to perform "emotional support".

Wiki says it simply:

Everything from pulling a wheelchair to helping someone move around or stand up if they fall. The Newfie we know has a vest with support handles. That's the sort we know. But the definition is much more broad. http://www.servicedogsforamerica.org/about-us/service-dogs/mobility-assistance-dogs/
Mobility assistance dogs perform a variety of tasks for their human partners, like bumping the button on automatic doors, retrieving dropped items, and bringing out-of-reach objects to hand, such as a ringing phone. For dogs that will be placed with someone in a wheelchair, the animal can assist with pulling a wheelchair up a ramp if necessary. Other dogs may serve as a brace for people who are ambulatory, but suffer from balance and strength issues. With a properly retrofitted home, a mobility assistance dog can tug open doors, close them again, turn lights on and off, and summon help by finding another person in the house. In public, the mobility assistance dog is an invaluable helper, quietly serving its partner with tasks that would be difficult or impossible to do on their own.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Freedom is scary
View Quote
Freedom doesn't seek a permission slip to allow his dog to fly coach.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#47]
@Terlinguachili

If someone with your "approval" got kicked out of a restaurant with their "service" animal, would the restaurant be in violation of ADA laws?

Edit: I've worked multiple cases of the above. I've never heard of someone "signing off" on legitimate service animal certifications until your post today.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That’s not how the law works.  If someone has a service animal, I’m only BY LAW allowed to ask two questions.  Is this a service animal required due to a disability?   What work or task has the animal been trained to perform.

His point is accurate.  It’s dangerous to challenge a person with an animal that they are claiming is a service animal.  Lawsuits are a very real threat.

ETA: It’s common to have someone try to pass off a support dog as a service dog.  I don’t want to lose my job over being wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like hell they can't. If your need for the service animal isn't covered by ADA then they don't have to allow the animal in.  Pretty sure emotional support is not a protected disability that needs a service animal.

Edit fixed typos.
That’s not how the law works.  If someone has a service animal, I’m only BY LAW allowed to ask two questions.  Is this a service animal required due to a disability?   What work or task has the animal been trained to perform.

His point is accurate.  It’s dangerous to challenge a person with an animal that they are claiming is a service animal.  Lawsuits are a very real threat.

ETA: It’s common to have someone try to pass off a support dog as a service dog.  I don’t want to lose my job over being wrong.
Exactly. I don’t want to put a public accommodation or conveyance in that position.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The OP has a serious lack of communication skills, that much is clear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can sign off based on the person’s need. I am not an animal trainer,
If you're not a trainer,or someone with certified credentials, why are you "signing off" on any animal?

Seems that you are signing off on a liability you can never counter, with a knowledge you can never prove.
The OP has a serious lack of communication skills, that much is clear.
I’ll take that with good humor whatever the case.

If you don’t think you can get sued for something in this situation, then perhaps you are missing the fact that people sue over anything. Child’s face gets ripped off at an airport, all who have touched that case will be scrutinized.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
You have the legal capacity to make a professionally recognized diagnosis in your licensed profession.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top