Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Energy is defined as force times displacement.  It the force doesn’t move what it is acting upon, then it isn’t energy.  It’s just a force.
View Quote
Ok a lot of people are saying it’s not moving so therefore there is no energy being used, whick ok I get that. But it still doesn’t seem to apply here because the magnet is using its magnetic field to pull itself and with a rare earth magnet it pulls itself with enough force you could get an inaccurate weight many times what it truely weighs.

How is that any different than me pushing down on the scale causing the same inaccurate reading.  When I push on that scale I use energy, so how is a magnet doing the same thing “not using energy”.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#2]
If motion is relative, will spinning a full bucket of water in infinite, empty space spin all the water out of it?  How does the bucket know it's in motion?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]
IN for the answers, I think I slept through that Physics lecture.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Then how do magnets work? How can I put a magnet on my refrigerator and it not fall off? Wouldn’t it use magnetic energy to pull itself to the fridge to resist gravity? So how come it never falls off?
View Quote
Be patient.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok a lot of people are saying it’s not moving so therefore there is no energy being used, whick ok I get that. But it still doesn’t seem to apply here because the magnet is using its magnetic field to pull itself and with a rare earth magnet it pulls itself with enough force you could get an inaccurate weight many times what it truely weighs.

How is that any different than me pushing down on the scale causing the same inaccurate reading.  When I push on that scale I use energy, so how is a magnet doing the same thing “not using energy”.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Energy is defined as force times displacement.  It the force doesn’t move what it is acting upon, then it isn’t energy.  It’s just a force.

Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s a vacuum
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes and because there is no work there is no heat.  Therefore the magnet doesn't cook aand thus stays in it's raw state, stuck forever.  Why do you think they call it a "rare Earth magnet?"

Duh.
View Quote
Lets say the magnet loses over half of it's magnetism. Is it considered medium well?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#9]
The one example I like to share with my students is, “the next time you sit around a campfire, remember that the flame/ heat is just stored sunshine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lets say the magnet loses over half of it's magnetism. Is it considered medium well?
View Quote

Very good inductive reasoning but that would only be medium.  It becomes medium well after it loses three quarters.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#11]
People can define force and energy but I think what you're really asking is why there's an electromagnetic force and what it actually is under the hood.

Well, that is the $1mil question.  We can describe how it works all day long but nobody actually knows what it is because it gets down into quantum behavior, virtual photons and such, and we simply haven't figured it out yet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#12]
You transfer kinetic energy into a piece of iron to align the molecules and magnetize it.
Or pass it through an electric field.

Either way, you are storing some energy in the process.

Magnetic attraction to ferrous metal, and gravity are both forces.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey! How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does a sun set? How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hey! How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does a sun set? How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does.
View Quote
Of course all of these things can be and have a very long time ago, been specifically explained.  Just like the fact that magnetism is not an energy to begin with, which completely invalidates OP's question. This thread will have legs anyway.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#15]
The normal force of the fridge induced by the magnet results in a static frictional force stronger than the gravitational force on the magnet.

The magnetic field is exerting a continuous force, just like gravity, but it takes no energy to hold the object stationary because it isn't moving. Force is being applied but no energy is changing hands.

If you hold a ten pound weight off the ground, the force your body is applying and the force of gravity cancel, and apparently no work is being done because nothing is moving. Except at the molecular scale, your skeletal muscles are using chemical energy (ATP) to push myosin around, motor neuron action potentials are running around and acting on muscle fibers, .ect. , (doing work), so on the macro-level things are stationary but on the molecular-level your body is subconsciously expanding, contracting and doing lots of other stuff many times a second. The object is bobbing up and down slightly, thus accelerating and you're doing work on the object and yourself to keep it "stationary", which is why you can't hold it forever. The human body is not designed to exert continuous force. A brick could though. Or a magnet. Or a table.

Energy is not force and magnetics are basically tables. We good?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have only had to refill my magnet twice
View Quote
Get some synthetic magnetomic fluid and it will last longer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How is it equal? The magnet is sideways actively resisting the pull of gravity. If I leave the magnet up for 2 mins it uses less energy than if I left it up there 2 years?
View Quote
The magnet doesn't use energy to hold itself in place - energy is only expended or added when movement takes place.  If you slid a book under your monitor to hold it up, how much energy does that book expend in 2 minutes, as opposed to 2 years?

Mike
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If motion is relative, will spinning a full bucket of water in infinite, empty space spin all the water out of it?  How does the bucket know it's in motion?
View Quote
Motion is relative - acceleration is not.  Spinning is the result of acceleration of everything around the point of rotation.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Magnets?

Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#20]
It will eventually falloff when it runs out of electrons or protons or something that magnets shed. I know magnets slowly lose strength and can be re-magnetized.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Then how do magnets work? How can I put a magnet on my refrigerator and it not fall off? Wouldn’t it use magnetic energy to pull itself to the fridge to resist gravity? So how come it never falls off?
View Quote
Check it in a thousand years and let us know how well it's working...
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep no energy used. It is the way the atoms are made up that form the attraction.
View Quote
Let's play this game:

1) is it cooled to absolute zero?
2) do you even Brownian motion?
3) are electrons moving in their orbits?

what's not moving?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Brb, gotta jack my truck up off the ground so my springs dont wear out, then I can post my reply.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#24]
It doesnt fall off because your refrigerator is producing an electromagnetic field.

If you lose power or unplug it.... well, your magnets will fall off.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Is high school science class not a thing anymore? It was a required class when I went to school back in the fucking dark ages before home computers or the interwebz.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wrong. Energy cannot be destroyed or created (we think), and matter is merely a form of energy. Twist energy into enough knots and you get matter (strings). Smack matter hard enough and it returns to being energy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Matter op, matter cannot be created or destroyed.
Wrong. Energy cannot be destroyed or created (we think), and matter is merely a form of energy. Twist energy into enough knots and you get matter (strings). Smack matter hard enough and it returns to being energy.
And there is A LOT of energy in matter.

Like put two apples together, one of matter, the other antimatter and the explosion would finally be worthy of all the Snackbars screamed when someone farts.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#27]
There are 2 types of energy, Kinetic and Potential.  Magnetism is a type of Potential energy.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There are 2 types of energy, Kinetic and Potential.  Magnetism is a type of Potential energy.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some people don't have Potential or Kinetic
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Came here hoping for a magnet on a treadmill reference.

Left disappointed.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#31]
i'll take aligned electron moments for $1000 Alex
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have only had to refill my magnet twice
View Quote
you're getting shitty gas mileage bro
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How is it equal? The magnet is sideways actively resisting the pull of gravity. If I leave the magnet up for 2 mins it uses less energy than if I left it up there 2 years?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beacause the energy you exerted to pull the magnet off the refrigerator is reciprocal to the energy it constantly exerts to stay in place. It's a weird balance of nature
Magnets lose strength over time. They aren't permanent.

I suggest taking physics and/or Thermodynamics courses.  If you're into these kinds of questions, you'll love these courses.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You transfer kinetic energy into a piece of iron to align the molecules and magnetize it.
Or pass it through an electric field.

Either way, you are storing some energy in the process.

Magnetic attraction to ferrous metal, and gravity are both forces.
View Quote
magnetic attraction and repulsion are applicable to all materials, simply at varying strengths
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
But if it's always attracting other electrons then it's not technically a potential energy, no?

It's not something I've researched but I would say magnets are a mix of potential and kinetic energy
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Work = force x distance.  Neither the magnet nor the refrigerator are moving -> no work -> no energy is used.

You should read a Physics book someday.
View Quote
But what if the fridgerator is on a treadmill?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Energy is only expended through work (force acting over a distance). Stationary force does not expend energy.

Mike

PS. Strictly speaking conservation of energy is not axiomatic but a result of symmetry.  When the equations of motion are unchanged with translation through space, conservation of momentum is just a mathematical consequence.  When the equations of motion are unchanged by rotation, angular momentum is conserved.
Equations of motion unchanged in time give rise to energy conservation.  With space expanding at an ever-increasing rate dark energy is being created. For now conversation of energy holds on a galactic scale but not in the spaces between galexies.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Energy is only expended through work (force acting over a distance). Stationary force does not expend energy.

Mike

PS. Strictly speaking conservation of energy is not axiometric but a result of symmetry.  When the equations of motion are unchanged with translation through space, conservation of momentum is just a mathematical consequence.  When the equations of motion are unchanged by rotation, angular momentum is conserved.
Equations of motion unchanged in time give rise to energy conservation.  With space expanding at an ever-increasing rate dark energy is being created. For now conversation of energy holds on a galactic scale but not in the spaces between galexies.
View Quote
Axiomatic.

That CoM is a consequence of homogeneity and not an assumption is an important distinction.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It does fall off because your refrigerator is producing an electromagnetic field.

If you lose power or unplug it.... well, your magnets will fall off.
View Quote
This is... absolutely incorrect.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.  Remember E=Mc^2?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#41]
OP this is pretty simple.

There is attractive force between the metal and the magnet. Gravity is acting (toward the center of the earth) on the magnet.
Opposing that force is the force of friction. In this case, since the magnet isn't moving, it's the Static coefficient of friction between the surface of your fridge and the surface of the magnet.

If the friction was incredibly low, the magnet would slide down the fridge.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
OP this is pretty simple.

There is attractive force between the metal and the magnet. Gravity is acting (toward the center of the earth) on the magnet.
Opposing that force is the force of friction. In this case, since the magnet isn't moving, it's the Static coefficient of friction between the surface of your fridge and the surface of the magnet.

If the friction was incredibly low, the magnet would slide down the fridge.
View Quote
Not so. The magnetic force in this case is stronger than gravity. The magnetic attraction is not a linear horizontal vector but a field of varying intensity and influence.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
E=MV^2 ........energy = mass times velocity squared. there is no energy if it ain't moving(velocity).
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Fucking magnets how do they work?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Fuck me. I'm feeling lighter already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does gravity use up gravitational energy? When will the Earth run out of it?
Well fuck. There goes me ever sleeping again.
Fuck me. I'm feeling lighter already.
My new diet plan.  "Just Wait."  I'll be a millionaire.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#48]
The magnet uses a tiny amount to create the field, and field produces the force.

That "cannot be created nor destroyed" is taken out of context and way too seriously.

It refers to closed systems, which really only occur in thought experiments.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If energy can’t be created or destroyed then that means the energy of the universe is finite and didn’t change. That also means that energy was contained in a singularity that went bang.
View Quote
It was, the singularity was pure energy.  And bang is just a term scientist use to describe it for lack of a better analogy.  Matter condensed out of that energy later.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top