Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:48:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guys that have experience with one, how do you think it would do for a grouse gun?
View Quote
I've gotten a few so far this year
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://tombstonetactical.com/images/mossberg/51340-1.jpg

This is also a "firearm" and cannot be sold to a person under 21.

The shape of the grip is irrelevant. It's the length that counts.
Well, it is.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I like mine, but don't think it has the punch of a longer barrel shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Some would state you're using the wrong shells.

The firstgen LCP was no fun after 15 rounds, it has notoriously bad recoil and handling, but they are carried regardless. Very few buying Shockwaves plan an afternoon at the trap and skeet range. It would be better to practice at paper plates at 25 feet - the working intent of the gun.

I spotted a breacher pouch for $25 and I know it won't last long. Still researching MDC regs but I don't see it being illegal to hunt deer. The best mod recommended so far is threading it and screwing on a flash hider. Seems to extend reach and accuracy well.

I suspect Mossberg might offer that.
View Quote
@tirod

That's true but I still carry one of those!

What flash hider are people putting on?  I might be interested in that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#5]
those two look to be among the most dismal creatures I've ever seen
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is the last adapter?
View All Quotes
It appears to be a Choate M4 style side folder with an arm brace on it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#7]
The magazine fed version is better.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Man, I've seen pics of the shotgunner, I really thought this was a Serb thing.
View Quote
Not Serbia, Texas.  America's Serbia.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Those are illegal configurations. A pistol grip makes it an aow, no matter what BS arfcom is spitting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Those are illegal configurations. A pistol grip makes it an aow, no matter what BS arfcom is spitting.
Uh, no.

https://www.remington.com/other-products/model-870-tac-14-arm-brace
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yeah, I'm sure Remington didn't check with the ATF before releasing a factory brace version.

You're the only one here spitting BS.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What came of this whole thing? Road rage deaded? Shirtless dude(s) charged?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Our shirtless heroes got into an argument with a felon with rage issues over a mattress getting dumped in a dumpster.

Captain roid rage swings on the older moob brother, prompting his demise.

And cancer’s cure is delayed once again.

Fortunately, the rager’s woman vertically videoes the whole mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vp1mZPUsjU
What came of this whole thing? Road rage deaded? Shirtless dude(s) charged?
Rager is deaded.  In the vid I posted it was censored, but the vid in the original thread on this showed his head turned inside out.

The two gentlemen who prove that not all heroes wear capes...or t shirts, were arrested and charged, but got out on bail.

Not sure what has happened since then.  This all happened in the not too distant past so I'd kind of be surprised if anything more has developed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Limp wristers say it's stupid, I have yet to read any of them willing to stand within 20 stupid yards from the end of it's stupid barrel with stupid 00 buck or stupid slugs and stupidly get shot.

They have some very valid uses and they work well.

Of course. I may be one of the few that get off my ass around here and go shoot and experiment with things but hey.
View Quote
Would you volunteer to stand in front of a super soaker full of putrid urine? No? Does that validate it as well then?

I think Shockwaves are cool but your argument is garbage.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Would you volunteer to stand in front of a super soaker full of putrid urine? No? Does that validate it as well then?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Limp wristers say it's stupid, I have yet to read any of them willing to stand within 20 stupid yards from the end of it's stupid barrel with stupid 00 buck or stupid slugs and stupidly get shot.

Of course. I may be one of the few that get off my ass around here and go shoot and experiment with things but hey.

Typically I agree with the piss filled super soaker rebuttal but it's not really relevant here.

I can get hits nearly as far and as fast as with a stocked shotgun. I'm spending a lot of time bear hunting with one this year and if I wasn't confident in my ability to make a human kill within the ranges i encounter I wouldn't be waisting my time with it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I couldn't really say, but I bought 2 Tac 14s off PSA for 269 each.

I haven't shot them yet but I stuck a laser on one. I'm normally not a fan of lasers but in this case I can see the practicality.
View Quote
@JA_Magnum
What laser did you put on?  I have a TAC-14 and I'm noticing the lack of receiver drilling and tapping and the fact that the mag tube doesn't extend past the forend.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Typically I agree with the piss filled super soaker rebuttal but it's not really relevant here.

I can get hits nearly as far and as fast as with a stocked shotgun. I'm spending a lot of time bear hunting with one this year and if I wasn't confident in my ability to make a human kill within the ranges i encounter I wouldn't be waisting my time with it.
View Quote
I was planning on carrying mine across my back for deep venture swamp bear hunts, but found out Virginia game laws require at least an 18" shotgun barrel.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:30:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I’m not saying the Shockwave is ineffective or stupid, I’ve never shot one so I have no basis for an opinion. I was just pointing out that the “let me shoot you with it” argument is retarded and adds nothing to the conversation. I don’t want shot with a single shot 22 short derringer but that doesn’t make it a valid tool either.

I think a custom breaching type scabbard with a Shockwave could actually make a knockabout gun but I’d have to shoot one for a while to see.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Our shirtless heroes got into an argument with a felon with rage issues over a mattress getting dumped in a dumpster.

Captain roid rage swings on the older moob brother, prompting his demise.

And cancer’s cure is delayed once again.

Fortunately, the rager’s woman vertically videoes the whole mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vp1mZPUsjU
View Quote
I've seen that shirtless shockwave guy come up a few times in pics, but never knew where he was from. Now I know, and real life is simple hilarity.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I’m digging these. Honcho 410 spring operated
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Honest question of anyone has experience:

I have a 12 gauge shockwave and I agree with the comment that you need to aim for the belt buckle to hit a target in the chest, especially past 10 yards. Is the 20 gauge more controllable?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok, I guess I'll be the one to point out the gigantic bulge in this guys pants.

Jesus Christ, dude.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ok, I guess I'll be the one to point out the gigantic bulge in this guys pants.

Jesus Christ, dude.
Next time be a little more downlow

As simple IM to him would have been appropriate

Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:48:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have a 12 gauge shockwave and I agree with the comment that you need to aim for the belt buckle to hit a target in the chest, especially past 10 yards. Is the 20 gauge more controllable?
View Quote
I can still hear the range master yelling at us qualing with 14" 870s....... BEAD THE BELLY! YMMV
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks.  I think it would work well for putting on side of your pack while hiking and getting that opportunistic grouse.  In states that allow hunting them with rim fire I’ll just use a suppressed 22 pistol but that’s not a legal take method in NV
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks.  I think it would work well for putting on side of your pack while hiking and getting that opportunistic grouse.  In states that allow hunting them with rim fire I’ll just use a suppressed 22 pistol but that’s not a legal take method in NV
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Not a great option for hitting flushes but good for walking into an area.

I carry a few rounds of bird shot in my left pocket (also what might have spawned the new title) for when I know there are bird that are about to flush.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I got Shockwave and Jetfire the same Christmas. 85 I think.
View Quote
We grew up in the golden age of toys, didn't we?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#25]
@03RN

Now your going to be forever known in GD for your junk.  
Not at all for your defensive shooting skills.

GD is gonna GD.

BTW: We need another challenge thread!
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ought.. as in double 00.. not odd. You wouldn’t say 30 “odd” 6 when referring to a .30-06 would you? .. and the shockwave is a regular 12 gauge.. just short barreled and missing a stock.. You need to shoot it a few times, and figure It out, unless your a weekling or elderly the recoil is very manageable even with slugs..it’s just as effective as a stocked shotgun with enough practice..
View Quote
Aught.

If you want to be a grammar Nazi at least be correct.

Aught
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

24" folded.
I'd want to see an ATF letter specific to that particular setup before I got one.

I'm not saying it is a test case to see if the BATF thinks the overall measurement for a non-NFA weapon is with the with the pistol brace folded or extended as the do with folding stocked rifles, but I would not want to find out the hard way.

https://suarezinternational.com/suarez-tac-14-folding-arm-brace-system-12ga/
View Quote
For $299 I'd rather just pay the tax stamp.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Oughta said Aught. Is that double OTT?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Defending the alley dumpster from unwanted mattresses.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A human kill?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#31]
As far as what it might be good for. If I were allowed to have a gun at my office I would have the semi auto version with the double stacked magazine loaded with plated 00Buck. With a laser and light that might be the perfect active shooter response.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I like mine, but don't think it has the punch of a longer barrel shotgun.
View Quote
Not as much of a decrease as you think.

12 gauge velocity by the inch

from the article;
"The point where there was a sharp drop in muzzle velocity was the place we were looking to pinpoint and on average the difference from the 30-inch barrel all the way down to 12 inches only gradually declined approximately 200 fps. In our opinion, that is quite consistent for such a drastic difference in length. It was below 12 inches however, that the velocity started to drop quickly. With a drop of only 200 fps in the first 18 inches of barrel reduction, the next 6 inches produced a smooth and consistent drop falling 250 fps when decreased from 12 inches in length to 6.875 inches in length. If there is indeed a magic number for barrel length where muzzle velocity rapidly declines, that number would seem to hover around 12 inches in length."

Chart from the article is unavailable but here is something from a different source;

In this chart we see the velocity difference between the 18" barrel (KSG) and the 14" barrel (Shockwave) to be less than 70fps.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#33]
This place is costing me more money.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
wow.
is that on the regular license, or an extra tag?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
wow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow.
Well, you know, that 2A thing has always just been about hunting deer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd buy the semi auto if it were less expensive. Not a pump fan.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ought.. as in double 00.. not odd. You wouldn’t say 30 “odd” 6 when referring to a .30-06 would you? .. and the shockwave is a regular 12 gauge.. just short barreled and missing a stock.. You need to shoot it a few times, and figure It out, unless your a weekling or elderly the recoil is very manageable even with slugs..it’s just as effective as a stocked shotgun with enough practice..
View Quote
Nobody says outht here, we always double odd, 30 odd 6. you say it your way I'll say it mine, if it bugs you tough shit.

And no it's not just another shotgun, and no it's not manageable with slugs or full power 00 odd buck.

It's a bitch, quit filling everybody full of shit, it's a bear to hang on to if your not ready, unlike a stocked shotgun which you aim in a normal way!

You want to hit something aim it turbo. Even with LE double odd buck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I posted this in the Shotgun forum;

Personally, I like my 12ga Mossberg Shockwave so much, I have also purchased a Shockwave in .410 as well as a Remington TAC-14 in 12ga too!

I would not recommend it to someone as a FIRST firearm or ONLY firearm that fires shotshells but it does have niche uses for experienced shotgunners (not trying to sound Tier-1, just saying).

I mounted a receiver top rail and TLR-8 ligth/laser combo on my 12ga Mossberg Shockwave. Even with the heaviest 3" Magnum loads it is very controllable shooting from the hip or a "low ready" position. It is Very easy to maneuver in tight spaces. I keep the laser adjusted parallel to the bore axis so I always know the muzzle is pointed ~2" below the projected red dot.

My .410 Shockwave is loaded with #9 shot for use against rats and snakes. It shoots so light that I have no problem using a slightly canted cheek weld in order to line up the receiver flat and front bead for a traditional shotgun sight picture.

My Rem.TAC-14 does NOT have a drilled and tapped receiver top (a shame because it would have been so easy to do at the factory) but I am looking into a replacement front cap with an integrated light/laser + 1 extension. I don't know. As is, it balances very well. I may go the "brace" route to turn it into a more handy 12ga. firearm. I haven't decided yet.

These guns are much more than novelties. With a little thought and practice (and maybe a few add-ons) they can serve and excel in very necessary roles.
View Quote
A 410 like this would be neat for my 63 yr old bones!
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Guys that have experience with one, how do you think it would do for a grouse gun?
View Quote
You have to be shitting.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sitting on the road?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm thinking that this would work well with a scabbard on my wheelchair.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
A laser is a complete game changer for the Shockwave.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nobody says outht here, we always double odd, 30 odd 6. you say it your way I'll say it mine, if it bugs you tough shit.

And no it's not just another shotgun, and no it's not manageable with slugs or full power 00 odd buck.

It's a bitch, quit filling everybody full of shit, it's a bear to hang on to if your not ready, unlike a stocked shotgun which you aim in a normal way!

View Quote
Apparently I spelled it wrong as well. I guess it’s aught? Who the fuck knows.. But still odd is simply people miss pronouncing ought or aught.. so there’s that..

Second of all any grown man should be able to “manage” or hold on to a shockwave.. hell my 8 year old son loves the thing, now I won’t load the tube with slugs for him, but He has shot a few rounds of high brass #4s and buck in his day and manages not to wine or cry about it, or have it slip from his hands.. I’m honestly beginning to wonder if all the hate for shockwaves or 12 gauges in general stems from jealousy of those that are to week actually use them.. It’s a 12 Gauge, much like the stocked version, it’s gonna kick.. big Fucking deal.. hold it like a man, point it at something, pull the trigger and hold onto it..

Third, if you actually decided to shoot it enough times instead of crying about recoil, you would soon discover you can pull up and hit shit much faster then a shotgun with a stock.. shoot it enough and you can actuallly hit shit reliably with out even using the bead..
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ought.. as in double 00.. not odd. You wouldn't say 30 "odd" 6 when referring to a .30-06 would you? .. and the shockwave is a regular 12 gauge.. just short barreled and missing a stock.. You need to shoot it a few times, and figure It out, unless your a weekling or elderly the recoil is very manageable even with slugs..it's just as effective as a stocked shotgun with enough practice..

Never heard that, it is double odd.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I’m digging these. Honcho 410 spring operated
View Quote
I made a post on this but everyone was all like "meh"

It has a ton of features for $250. Downside it's made by the Turks.

I'd rather buy Chinese over Turkish.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ought.. as in double 00.. not odd. You wouldn't say 30 "odd" 6 when referring to a .30-06 would you? .. and the shockwave is a regular 12 gauge.. just short barreled and missing a stock.. You need to shoot it a few times, and figure It out, unless your a weekling or elderly the recoil is very manageable even with slugs..it's just as effective as a stocked shotgun with enough practice..

It is manageable.  With the right loads. You aren't going to run full powered loads through a snub nose are you?

Buck and slugs have been fine, but I'm not using 3" shells out of this thing. I'm tempted to try a few though.

If normal buck/slugs hurt out of this idk what to say.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Odd is people miss pronouncing aught or ought.. when you say it out loud, It can sound like odd, and many people just assume that’s what people are saying.. it’s extremly common but it derived from auoght or ought or what ever it is.. aught is a short hand for zero..
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#48]
I'd like to offer a brief break from the meat gazing with a nice deal on the SBM4 brace kit for the 590 shockwave:

I just purchased one for $100 bucks.

https://www.primaryarms.com/sb-tactical-sbm4-brace-mossberg-shockwave-590-sbm4-01-sb

Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Really good deal.

The Adapter/Hogue Grip is usually like $70-ish alone iirc.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:18:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fantastic

Attachment Attached File
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top