Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hold on...where the hell are you people finding these work from home jobs?
View Quote
Onlyfans.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Truly spoken like management.
Fuck off with all that. If you hire someone to build a deck, and they charge you $5000 including materials and labor and say it will take 2 weeks, then they finish it in 1 week, do they owe you money back? Are you going to be upset that they finished ahead of schedule? Should they use that extra week to build you a fence?
My employer pays me to be on the clock for X hours, and I have tasks that need to be completed during those hours. I don't owe them any more than that and they don't owe me any more than that. They pay me well because they know I'm going to get those jobs done.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As long as the job is getting done, and the employer is happy with the result, there is no problem.

I've never understood this notion. If the "job" is getting done in less tan 40 hours, isn't there more "job" to do in the remaining time?
Isn't there something else to do, whether it be conceptualizing, planning, or similar?
Fuck off with all that. If you hire someone to build a deck, and they charge you $5000 including materials and labor and say it will take 2 weeks, then they finish it in 1 week, do they owe you money back? Are you going to be upset that they finished ahead of schedule? Should they use that extra week to build you a fence?
My employer pays me to be on the clock for X hours, and I have tasks that need to be completed during those hours. I don't owe them any more than that and they don't owe me any more than that. They pay me well because they know I'm going to get those jobs done.

Do I hire professionals to do bit jobs for two weeks? Do you do bit jobs?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Dad worked from home for a company starting in 1982. He was allowed to do other drawings for other companies if he had the time. 90% of the time the companies competitor got the job. Did that till he retired in 2015. I did the same work self employeed so I had no company to say I should or shouldn't.

Drawing structural steel shop drawings outside Baton Rouge. He went to the office every Friday to pick up his check.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The true hustler would do that, but farm out the actual work to remote workers in India for a fraction of each salary.
View Quote

I worked with a guy that did that, no one cared to really prove that, but he would “write” hundreds of lines of debugged and tested code, with maybe an hour at his desk when he wasn’t on the phone speaking in Chinese.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:10:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I wrote a really good response to all of this.

Then I deleted it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:20:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Luck

2015 My wife was offered a good job in Denver and we decided to make the move from the DC area. Told my work that my wife was moving and I was going with her. They told me they would give me $100 a month for good internet. It helps when you are the only person with a security clearance and the access to log into client systems.

October 2020 I had an former coworker contact me and asked if I wanted to come work for her at her new gig. Big construction company was spinning up a professional services sector (mostly enterprise GIS) and needed people. Since their Denver office was closed at the time due to COVID the job offer stipulated it was 100% work from office.

Now the office is back open and I go in maybe once a week. It is a nice office and really close to my range. Heck I can even bring my dog.

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:27:02 AM EDT
[#7]
About 90% of the IT jobs on LinkedIn are billed as remote.

Many still require a vaccine for some…..thing , though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've never understood this notion. If the "job" is getting done in less tan 40 hours, isn't there more "job" to do in the remaining time?
Isn't there something else to do, whether it be conceptualizing, planning, or similar?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As long as the job is getting done, and the employer is happy with the result, there is no problem.

Ah, you mean, "If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean"?

Sorry, I don't work at 7-11.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#9]
The WFH crowd is going to fuck their cushy WFH jobs into non-existence.

Then we'll all have to sit here and listen to them cry about how bullshit it is that employers are doing away with WHF.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:49:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:53:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Then we'll all have to sit here and listen to them cry about how bullshit it is that employers are doing away with WHF.
View Quote

Some will, some won't.

Plenty to go around for the smart ones. I'm never setting foot in an office again. They tend to get so cranky when they catch me napping with no pants. Home office for me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:56:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure what a "bit job" is
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:59:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I had no idea so many people worked jobs that are so easily outsourced.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:59:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Some will, some won't.

Plenty to go around for the smart ones. I'm never setting foot in an office again. They tend to get so cranky when they catch me napping with no pants. Home office for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some will, some won't.

We'll likely end up seeing the lowly peons that think they rate all the special privileges they going during Covid get forced back to office work, but higher level positions will remain mostly WFH.

We'll likely get away from entry level positions being WFH because too many people are lazy pieces of shit that require the supervision.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:04:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We'll likely end up seeing the lowly peons that think they rate all the special privileges they going during Covid get forced back to office work, but higher level positions will remain mostly WFH.

We'll likely get away from entry level positions being WFH because too many people are lazy pieces of shit that require the supervision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some will, some won't.

I don't have the time or the crayons to explain why you're wrong. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:13:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The true hustler would do that, but farm out the actual work to remote workers in India for a fraction of each salary.
View Quote

I seem to recall a software guy doing just that and forfeiting $50k of his $250k salary to some contract firm in China. He got caught because they got flagged logging into the company network from China to upload "his" project.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I seem to recall a software guy doing just that and forfeiting $50k of his $250k salary to some contract firm in China. He got caught because they got flagged logging into the company network from China to upload "his" project.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen versions of that story that say he had up to four jobs.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2013/01/16/169528579/outsourced-employee-sends-own-job-to-china-surfs-web
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:34:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Remote workers are paid for the work, not for the hours in a seat.

As long as the employee doesn't actually lie to his employer(s).
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:38:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some will, some won't.

Ok.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:12:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Heard a piece on radio not long ago about a guy that had a wfh job that he ended up automating.  Was their top producer for years, got raises and promotions.  Offers to come day shift/manager all turned down because he’d automated the role from home and was going out, sleeping, watching tv during the time he was supposedly doing this job.  Had it as his “night job” for years (had a reg day job too) before the company finally automated his role and canned him but not without a healthy severance package ??
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:12:47 AM EDT
[#21]
My wife had an Indian guy on her work that they're pretty sure was outsourcing work to India. He claimed he was VPN'd to India to get the Indian TV or something.

He was later arrested on a crime not related to that job.

They should have offered the guy in India the position.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:47:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is called a Manager.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:48:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Heard a piece on radio not long ago about a guy that had a wfh job that he ended up automating.  Was their top producer for years, got raises and promotions.  Offers to come day shift/manager all turned down because he’d automated the role from home and was going out, sleeping, watching tv during the time he was supposedly doing this job.  Had it as his “night job” for years (had a reg day job too) before the company finally automated his role and canned him but not without a healthy severance package ??
View Quote

Your job as a sysadmin is to automate your job out of existence, then not tell anyone.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I did that for more than fourteen years.  Produced daily syndicated radio shows for three companies and did a daily local show for my main employer. Never an issue. It was a lot of work and schedule juggling.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Many, many years ago I was a Pro Desk manager at Home Depot.

One of our parking lot cart pullers was either borderline downs or way out on the spectrum, or both.  He was a super nice guy, hard worker, and honestly an asset to the company.

It turned out he was also an asset to the other big box retail store right next to us, because we found out somehow he was working (legit) for them, too.  Pulling shopping carts.  At the same time.

Both stores fired him.  I think it was bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Depends on the employment contract signed by the employee at the time of hiring.

Mine says I can’t moonlight or contract with any other employer without express consent and review of my employer. My industry is known for moonlighting and most every employer I’ve worked for frowns upon it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Hell I've run into people working multiple jobs IN OFFICE. One who was on my current team had a hair salon on the side and would hype it up to us. She eventually left to do that full time.

Had another at a different company selling real estate on the side. Always taking personal calls. Got caught and reprimanded when one of her side calls was accidentally on speakerphone for the open plan office to hear
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Doctors do this too. I'm fairly certain of it. I did a virtual visit recently for my youngest since my pediatrician couldn't see us for two weeks (suspected eye Infection). We did a video chat for maybe two minutes and then I got a mostly boilerplate summary.

Could easily be done while she's keeping other patients waiting.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Home...
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

U.S. programmer outsources own job to China, surfs cat videos
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I wrote a really good response to all of this.

Then I deleted it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#32]
lol

Work is for suckers
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:49:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Working one job sucks, can't imagine 2-3.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#34]
If you can do it without getting caught then its not wrong
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, there’s nothing else to do.  Lots of corporate jobs pay their employees to do a job and don’t allow the employees the latitude to get creative. So, you do your job, and then you do what ever you want with the time left over.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#36]
If the work is getting done, then it's not wrong.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#37]
TL,DR version: employee at my first employer operated a consulting business on the boss’s dime using the boss’s client list and the boss’s business address. Employee didn’t do his actual job, signed the boss’s name to project documents that were incomplete without the boss’s knowledge, quit to start his own business and the boss ended up sued.

One of the first firms I worked for was a licensed sole proprietor with five employees. This was before the pandemic, work from home wasn’t a thing and frankly I don’t know if my former boss survived the shutdowns with his business intact.

Employee one was a decent guy, experienced but as it turns out, he was running a consultation business on the side, even listing our office location as his business address. He’d check the conference room schedule and meet clients on the clock while the boss was totally unaware. Employee was sly in the fact the boss wasn’t internet savvy and was so busy with work and his political activism, he didn’t know this was going on.

Employee one was also working on a major residential project for our boss and since the boss trusted him completely, the boss only checked in irregularly. Big mistake as employee one’s consultation business was booming and he wasn’t actually working on the documents for his assigned project.

Boss was on vacation in Europe when documents were due, rather than send them to the boss for review, he wet stamped the set and forged the boss’ signature and sent them. Keep in mind, the work done to this point was shoddy and incomplete, it would’ve been a shitstorm for the employee. However, we could’ve asked for more time and fixed them. Shortly after, employee one completed his exams and became licensed himself, and he up and quit within a day of receiving his own stamp in the mail to start his own firm in the same town.

Eventually this blows up and the boss gets sued for shit documents leading to huge issues for the client. The whole deal is ultimately the boss’s fault because he let employee one operate autonomously without much oversight. I tried to convince the boss to report employee one for using the boss’ seal and forging signatures but he never did.

Stamping and signing documents for the licensee happens a lot in the business, but NEVER without oversight and approval through QC review checks by or for the guy who owns the stamp. It’s a huge liability to not know what goes out in your name.

I’m not sure how long employee one was operating his consulting business while on the clock but one, it took up most of his time towards the end and two, he bought a fairly expensive building in town to start his own firm. I even think he was consulting with people off the boss’s client list. Just a huge dick move.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#38]
If you called yourself an LLC and were 1099 it'd be the same thing. Do the job, get paid.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I’ve seen people start their own tech companies while working full time. One dude was managing a team and running a network consulting business at lunch and ducking out to do calls in conf rooms during the day. Quit when confronted.

Another time we hired a guy from a big bank customer as a sales engineer. Three or four weeks into the job, someone noticed he had two laptops on his desk, the second one being a different brand and with a bank asset tag on it. Fired by both companies.

There are tons of people in tech running websites and other side gigs, but most are not W2 jobs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm working two full time W2 jobs in tech and doing real estate investing on the side with 3 rentals. I have no debt other than the rentals @3% or less, so all the money is going straight into savings/mutual funds. I'll be retired in 2 years at 45...

Link Posted: 3/29/2022 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Onlyfans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Onlyfans.

Imma bout to take feet pics and post them on OF
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Luck

2015 My wife was offered a good job in Denver and we decided to make the move from the DC area. Told my work that my wife was moving and I was going with her. They told me they would give me $100 a month for good internet. It helps when you are the only person with a security clearance and the access to log into client systems.

October 2020 I had an former coworker contact me and asked if I wanted to come work for her at her new gig. Big construction company was spinning up a professional services sector (mostly enterprise GIS) and needed people. Since their Denver office was closed at the time due to COVID the job offer stipulated it was 100% work from office.

Now the office is back open and I go in maybe once a week. It is a nice office and really close to my range. Heck I can even bring my dog.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51968147598_897913b3f2_z.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Luck

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51968147598_897913b3f2_z.jpg

nice...
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Hard part seems like like overlapping of bullshit conference calls.

Roughly 25% of my week is spent in this for 1 job.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, conference calls are where schedule juggling comes in.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I have enough BS calls every week doing 1099 work.  Though much of it is spent building the lead funnel.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hell I've run into people working multiple jobs IN OFFICE. One who was on my current team had a hair salon on the side and would hype it up to us. She eventually left to do that full time.

Had another at a different company selling real estate on the side. Always taking personal calls. Got caught and reprimanded when one of her side calls was accidentally on speakerphone for the open plan office to hear
View Quote

I regret not doing this in the late '90s and going forward. I had a job at a large car company in Dearborn, Michigan. You might be able to guess which one it was. I had a really specific computer job and my department was very low volume. None of the managers seemed to realize this.

The housing market was quite good at the time and I decided to become a real estate agent and work from my desk at the car company. I could have been in and out all day doing showings and whatever nobody would have known.

I took a much better paying IT job instead. A year later 9/11 happened and I got laid off.

Had I stayed at the other place I could have worked there another 15 years or so. I have friends that just left now. And by now I'd have a book of business built up as a real estate agent where I could just be retired on active duty and people would be walking back in the door for their third or fourth house from me. Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I’ve seen people start their own tech companies while working full time. One dude was managing a team and running a network consulting business at lunch and ducking out to do calls in conf rooms during the day. Quit when confronted.

Another time we hired a guy from a big bank customer as a sales engineer. Three or four weeks into the job, someone noticed he had two laptops on his desk, the second one being a different brand and with a bank asset tag on it. Fired by both companies.

There are tons of people in tech running websites and other side gigs, but most are not W2 jobs.
View Quote

I've known a couple guys who worked cabling offices for ethernet and phones. This job seems horrible to me but apparently is pretty lucrative. Everyday they would sign out boxes of cables for the work they were going to do.

Those boxes were billed to the customers and if you ended up the day with a partial box there was no mechanism to return it. So these guys would build up garages full of partial boxes of cable and then do cabling jobs on the weekends. They made a pile of money because a big part of the cost of those jobs is the cable, and they were getting it free.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#48]
My contract states that I will devote my business time to my present employer, so I would be violating the terms of my contract to do this. However, from a time perspective, I certainly could.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

That could be hard, but you're muted 90% of the time of those calls anyway, unless you're putting them on. I've sat in calls and meetings for hours without ever talking.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#50]
A Director of Engineering that I used to work with once said "They pay me for what I know, not how many hours I put in."

I try to always keep that in mind.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top