Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Goddamn, Christians have absolutely no shame at all...
View Quote

Ah yes, the one guy who represents an entire worldwide religion that has spanned 2000 years.

What a stupid comment. As a Christian, I can't say I approve of him or his messaging. I prefer small reformed churches to the massive Walmart style.

You could apply your statement to any religion/belief if you pick one guy who doesn't set a good example.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

He has a reputation for getting people back into church that haven't attended in twenty years.  But getting back to what I posted earlier he doesn't talk like any genuine preacher presenting the real Gospel.
View Quote

Is it a net positive for society?

Yes all these people are giving him money and he's spending it on luxury items for himself but is it inducing a lot of "morality" and good positive behavior into society?

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

His thing is just telling people what they want to hear instead of actually doing a sermon on the word of God. He is a sharp dressed good looking guy and his wife is attractive. It is all in the presentation. Plus, it is Texas, and people from Texas, are, well, you know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
how the fuck does he do this?

The grift / scam must work as he's got all this money and all these followers.

His thing is just telling people what they want to hear instead of actually doing a sermon on the word of God. He is a sharp dressed good looking guy and his wife is attractive. It is all in the presentation. Plus, it is Texas, and people from Texas, are, well, you know.

This is it.  It's "I'm OK; you're OK" but with a Christian backdrop.  Nowhere does he say that Hell awaits  you if you don't accept Jesus as your Savior.  He just makes it sound like Jesus is good to have, like extra frosting on your birthday cake or something.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
what's their reasoning? have you talked about it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know people, good obedient, Godly, Christ-centered people, who are absolutely convinced that Joel is a great and Godly man.
what's their reasoning? have you talked about it?

No.  Any semblance of that could easily be taken as challenging them.  I am not close enough to them to have that conversation.  Besides, just from what conversations we did have on the subject, it was very obvious they were almost spellbound..... so I left it alone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#6]
A motivational speaker that figured out throwing "God" into the mix gives great tax benefits.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I went to high school with his younger sister, and I remember when his family started the ‘church’….

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#8]
People defend Kenneth Copeland like he's a modern day Moses too.  Copeland is a delusional nutcase at the very minimum in my book.  At worst he's a demon-inspired charlatan doing nothing more than a performance on stage.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used to watch Joel Osteen.  I never saw him talk about sin, repentance, or the need to have Jesus remove the death sentence that sin brings.  I get it that his marketing strategy (yes, I meant to say that) is to preach to people who are already believers, but I think getting sinners to repent was the main focus of the book of Acts.  We need for the Christian church to get back to that, and Joel Osteen sure ain't helpin' any.
View Quote

I’ve watched a lot of his messages, and he’s preaching the gospel of the bountiful.  It’s not all fire and brimstone, but he does preach faith in Christ as the path to salvation, and every message I’ve listened to ends with a prayer to Christ for forgiveness and salvation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Joel Osteen is the epitome of 2 Timothy 3:6
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#11]
The Catholic Church owns more real estate than McDonalds or Bill Gates, I think somewhere around 177 million acres.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hold on.  

Taxpayers can choose to itemize their deductions, which is required when taking a charitable contribution deduction, or take the standard deduction when filing tax returns. For 2023 the standard deduction is $27,700 for married couples.  https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/041315/tips-charitable-contributions-limits-and-taxes.asp

IIRC, a couple would have to have $27,700 in deductions before a dime of charitable contributions are deducted.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are donations to churches tax write offs?

Ive always been curious as I live in a area ripe with large churches. Always wondered how exactly they made ends meet on donations

Yes

Hold on.  

Taxpayers can choose to itemize their deductions, which is required when taking a charitable contribution deduction, or take the standard deduction when filing tax returns. For 2023 the standard deduction is $27,700 for married couples.  https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/041315/tips-charitable-contributions-limits-and-taxes.asp

IIRC, a couple would have to have $27,700 in deductions before a dime of charitable contributions are deducted.
mega churches should not be eligible for 501.c3
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I’ve watched a lot of his messages, and he’s preaching the gospel of the bountiful.  It’s not all fire and brimstone, but he does preach faith in Christ as the path to salvation, and every message I’ve listened to ends with a prayer to Christ for forgiveness and salvation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to watch Joel Osteen.  I never saw him talk about sin, repentance, or the need to have Jesus remove the death sentence that sin brings.  I get it that his marketing strategy (yes, I meant to say that) is to preach to people who are already believers, but I think getting sinners to repent was the main focus of the book of Acts.  We need for the Christian church to get back to that, and Joel Osteen sure ain't helpin' any.

So have I, but it sounds like a mere formality, like, "I better mention Jesus now."  I don't think his technique motivates very many people to come to Christ who aren't believers already.  I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I'd have to see definite numbers on how many people have become Christians during one of his sermons.

I bet it's slightly more than Tony Robbins.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I know people, good obedient, Godly, Christ-centered people, who are absolutely convinced that Joel is a great and Godly man.
View Quote

I'm one of them.   He doesn't charge me a penny to listen to his sermons.  I was in a dark depression at one point, I never heard him speak before and his sermons helped to get me back in a good place.

He also tells his followers to get in a good bible based church.  I love Jesus and have faith in the Lord, so if anyone has good things to say I like to hear.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Joel Osteen is the epitome of 2 Timothy 3:6
View Quote

I was thinking more along the lines of those who have a form of godliness but deny the power thereof.  (verse 5)
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Cults come in many shapes and sizes
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I saw Alice Cooper hang himself on stage there around 1975.
View Quote

Welcome To My Nightmare tour, caught that in Tampa (or St. Pete).

Saw him guillotined at the Omni @ 1973 for the billion Dollar Babies tour.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I wonder how his buddy Larry is doing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#21]
When it comes to Christians, TMFINR.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm one of them.   He doesn't charge me a penny to listen to his sermons.  I was in a dark depression at one point, I never heard him speak before and his sermons helped to get me back in a good place.

He also tells his followers to get in a good bible based church.  I love Jesus and have faith in the Lord, so if anyone has good things to say I like to hear.

View Quote

He seems incredibly fake to me. His facial mannerisms and body language don't seem genuine.

I'm probably super cynical after dealing with the public at work for almost two decades. I deal with a lot of bullshitters.

He seems like Patrick Bet David, Grant Cardone, Michael Franzese etc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of our former members, as I recall?

And I'd rather stand on the streetcorner listening to the words of a pastor who is trying to drag sinners out of the gutter than attend one of Osteen's opulence fests.

Streetcorner's tithe plate most often goes to buy someone a meal or a new pair of shoes. Megachurches care only about building their brand.

Works, not faith.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

So have I, but it sounds like a mere formality, like, "I better mention Jesus now."  I don't think his technique motivates very many people to come to Christ who aren't believers already.  I'm willing to be proven wrong, but I'd have to see definite numbers on how many people have become Christians during one of his sermons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he probably converts more than most given how ubiquitous his content is.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Its pay day.

There'll Come a Payday (from The Righteous Gemstones)
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#26]
If Osteen had a nearly twin pedo brother it would be Gavin Newsome.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Being a shaman is a lucrative gig if you're shameless enough to pull it off.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#28]
You can believe in what you want it's a free country and his success is proof of that. People are starving for something to believe in and I'm afraid he ain't got a clue.
I'm certainly not qualified to judge but I wish more people were exposed to the truth.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Religious Cultists are just like Liberals. They are told what to think and just turn that brain right off.  No one is as blind as he who chooses NOT to see.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

What makes him a Christian?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep, still looks like a cult leader.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Hold on.  

View Quote

What if one tithes more than that?

It happens and so much more.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I bet not ONE CENT of Osteen's own money was used to pay off the loan.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I absolutely despise the stupid morons that go these megachurches. I could say god should send them to hell, but if god made them that stupid, then it is on him.

The only thing that is good about these churches is that if these crap-eating morons weren't in that cult they would most likely be Liberals.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I am amazed people give him money.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I saw Alice Cooper hang himself on stage there around 1975.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hey, don’t lump us all in. He’s not a Christian. He’s a “Christian” in name only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, don’t lump us all in. He’s not a Christian. He’s a “Christian” in name only.

Exactly, saying he's a Christian is like saying Mitt Romney and Liz Cheney are conservatives just because they had a R after their name.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
People defend Kenneth Copeland like he's a modern day Moses too.  Copeland is a delusional nutcase at the very minimum in my book.  At worst he's a demon-inspired charlatan doing nothing more than a performance on stage.
View Quote

There are those who also defend Creflo "Create a flow" Dollar...................and he is one of the worst
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Fucking used car salesman
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean like all atheists are akin to commies and Joseph Stalin?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Larry Lea?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#42]
There is a special place in hell for televangelists.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#43]
It's so simple, he read Morris Cerullo's book:

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Mammon preacher huckster nothing Christian about him in the least...doctrine of demons is what he preaches...preaches to those with itching ears...
imo
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Reminds me of Shamblin Lara and her hubby.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Well goody for him.  I'm sure Hayseuss approves of everything Osteen does.  After all, the Christ entered Jerusalem on the back of an ass and not in some fancy chariot or sedan chair.   His "kingdom" was certainly not the palatial estate Osteen has either.

Link Posted: 1/18/2024 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Reminds me of Shamblin Lara and her hubby.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390133/ffgf_jpeg-3098878.JPG
View Quote

Is that her hairdo or does her shaggy dog just like to sit on her head?
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
His wife has a strange look in her eyes.
View Quote

Botox
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top