Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I have lynx in my AO. I have seen a Bobcat, 1600' from my home, and a ML 3500' from my home.

All distances are guess's , but I walk the path at least once a week. and are close

The West Nile Skeeters are bad now, so I walk around Brooks Lake. The wind keeps the state bird down
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mountain lions can take down a bull elk. So, I'm going to guess yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mountain lion isn't gonna take on a horse..............is it?
Mountain lions can take down a bull elk. So, I'm going to guess yes.
Had a friend who had a horse severely mauled by a lion.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The West Nile Skeeters are bad now, so I walk around Brooks Lake. The wind keeps the state bird down
View Quote
You DON'T want it, either.

I contracted Tickbite Fever in Africa and West Nile here and I'd have to flip a coin to say which was worse.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does KY fish and game acknowledge the existence of mountain lion/cougars/pumas/whatever you want to call them?

Because VA Dept of Game and Fisheries does not, despite evidence of their existence.
View Quote
Neither does Georgia.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What? Y'all never had a barn cat that was just a mass murdering SOB?  Cats kill for sport, it's not just a people thing. I've had dogs that were just hell on woodchucks, tag team style.

The big cat rumors persist in north PA and southern tier NY.   Fleeting trail cam shots now and then. The bears are back for sure, they get swacked on the roads pretty regularly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If a predatory ( healthy ) cat such as a Cougar/Mt. Lion, why would it go all out on 3 horses and 2 dogs in one night, makes no sense to me considering their instincts to prey, kill and eat one animal at a time.

My guess its a rabid cat or bear.
As was pointed out, sometimes they just think it's fun. You should see what they can do to sheep.
What? Y'all never had a barn cat that was just a mass murdering SOB?  Cats kill for sport, it's not just a people thing. I've had dogs that were just hell on woodchucks, tag team style.

The big cat rumors persist in north PA and southern tier NY.   Fleeting trail cam shots now and then. The bears are back for sure, they get swacked on the roads pretty regularly.
A friend of mine has a couple of REALLY fancy Ragdoll cats that are some murdering little bastards.

They've even brought him a couple hamsters from somewhere in the neighborhood. They've moved up to rabbits, now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does KY fish and game acknowledge the existence of mountain lion/cougars/pumas/whatever you want to call them?

Because VA Dept of Game and Fisheries does not, despite evidence of their existence.
View Quote
WV and OH are the same.  I've seen tracks in OH and saw one in WV.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ohio maintains that there are no mountain lions.

Yet, about 5 miles from me, State highway patrol chased one down the highway.

They later clarified their statement that it was a bobcat...

Yeah, I'm sorry. You don't get a mountain lion and bobcat confused.
View Quote
You do when you are told to...
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:34:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry about that, I think my phone went
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#10]
They’ve been in TN for years. TWRA only acknowledged this in 2015, yet they still say they were only passing through and that there are no breeding populations here.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife/mammals/large/cougars.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not sure about KY Fish and Game but TWRA has acknowledged sightings of them as far as Middle Tennessee.  Wouldn’t be surprised if they ranged north a bit.  There are plenty of credible reports of sightings as far east as GSMNP but so far no pictures that I know of.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Something is hunting and killing things for fun and it ain't no mountain lion.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#13]
"According to Kentucky Fish and Wildlife, the animals' wounds are inconsistent with a large predator attack. They say they do not have conclusive answers as to what caused the attack at this time."

Ha ha.

http://www.wbko.com/content/news/Three-horses-and-dog-attacked-and-killed-by-animal-492304201.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They've been in TN for years. TWRA only acknowledged this in 2015, yet they still say they were only passing through and that there are no breeding populations here.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife/mammals/large/cougars.html
View Quote
We have always had them out here in the West but I've read that they have been moving East for a while now. They had a tracking collar on one that moved 1500 miles East before getting hit by a car.

I often camp in the woods in my Cougar Taco (hammock) . The only thing out there that makes me nervous is Mountain Lions.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#15]
They were miniature horses.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"According to Kentucky Fish and Wildlife, the animals' wounds are inconsistent with a large predator attack. They say they do not have conclusive answers as to what caused the attack at this time."

Ha ha.

http://www.wbko.com/content/news/Three-horses-and-dog-attacked-and-killed-by-animal-492304201.html
View Quote
They would already know if it was a big cat , the prints would be all over that muddy ground. For some strange reason they don't want to say what they found.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Cats are pretty fragile and you don’t need a lot of penetration to hit their vitals. A 9mm is perfectly adequate to take one down.
View Quote
I believe this is correct. The problem isn't about having the power to kill them , the problem is being fast enough to land bullets on them before they get to you
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They would already know if it was a big cat , the prints would be all over that muddy ground. For some strange reason they don't want to say what they found.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha ha.

The guys said there were bobcat tracks and then larger ones, too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Also throat tore out , that's not a cat attack
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Bigfoot or werewolf. No doubt.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:01:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
It might not be, but you cannot make a definitive statement about that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Jersey Devil.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:02:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lions definitely go for throats...
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nope. KY says they're not really there.

PA did/does the same. In a PA hunters safety class in about 1994 somebody asked about lions. The Game cop said they didn't exist in PA. The volunteer instructor said that the PGC had to say that because, since Eastern Lions at the time were considered endangered (they were declared extinct not long ago) the PGC would have to spend a shitload of money on habitat work and protection and all that and they didn't want to. The PGC cop said nothing in response to this.

PGC always said that any cougars found were "escaped pets", because that's a thing apparently. People started pointing to DNA analysis saying the cats were all from the West. Except (1) cats are going to spread East as their population grows and (2) one of the reasons the Eastern Lion got delisted was because they determined via DNA that all North American lions are the same species.

So they're here. Or they will be.

I'm looking forward to it, personally. Too many deer, too many liberals hiking.
View Quote
Had one kill a horse near me (yes, in central CT suburbia ) and the fish and game guys claimed it was a bobcat despite huge tracks all near the dead horse.
Speculation is the fish and game guys might have had a hand in re-introduceing them and are in CYA mode
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Dogman

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Had one kill a horse near me (yes, in central CT suburbia ) and the fish and game guys claimed it was a bobcat despite huge tracks all near the dead horse.
Speculation is the fish and game guys might have had a hand in re-introduceing them and are in CYA mode
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. KY says they're not really there.

PA did/does the same. In a PA hunters safety class in about 1994 somebody asked about lions. The Game cop said they didn't exist in PA. The volunteer instructor said that the PGC had to say that because, since Eastern Lions at the time were considered endangered (they were declared extinct not long ago) the PGC would have to spend a shitload of money on habitat work and protection and all that and they didn't want to. The PGC cop said nothing in response to this.

PGC always said that any cougars found were "escaped pets", because that's a thing apparently. People started pointing to DNA analysis saying the cats were all from the West. Except (1) cats are going to spread East as their population grows and (2) one of the reasons the Eastern Lion got delisted was because they determined via DNA that all North American lions are the same species.

So they're here. Or they will be.

I'm looking forward to it, personally. Too many deer, too many liberals hiking.
Our game department assisted in the introduction of wolves to Idaho.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not on a horse they won't.
They won't get under something like that , they will kill it from the back of the neck
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If a predatory ( healthy ) cat such as a Cougar/Mt. Lion, why would it go all out on 3 horses and 2 dogs in one night, makes no sense to me considering their instincts to prey, kill and eat one animal at a time.

My guess its a rabid cat or bear.
View Quote
I vote for buncha dogs.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They won't get under something like that , they will kill it from the back of the neck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google mountain lion goes for throat.

Multiple reports of lions killing horses via their throat and ripping it's throat out.

Also videos of lions ripping elk and deer throat out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#30]
KY used to have a 'coyote control officer' employed by the state because of coyote-related injuries to race horses and horses on horse farms.  Don't know if they still do now, but it used to be a sufficient enough problem that the state employed a person to deal with the culprits.  The 'coyote control officer' was based in Frankfort.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#31]
North American cats aren't like the African variety that need over penetration and stomping their guts out velocity.

But there is no such thing as overkill.

338 Lapua, 375 ouch and ouch, 45-70...
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Stupid is as stupid does I guess.
View Quote
You don't know the half of it. NYS is making sure we can't kill hogs either, that will be the state's job. Now go Google the number of deer the state hunters were able to kill on the massively overpopulated long island deer population, less then 100 when the cull needs to be in the thousands. I can sit in my neighbors backyard and kill more deer in a weekend then the state did in 6 months. Must have been a union job.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
In California they do.  My neighbors horse created a ruckus one night.  Jumped the fence
and wasn't seen for about 2 weeks.  When he finally limped home he had cat tracks all
over his back.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#34]
It was probably the pitbull which later died from its injuries.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wendigo
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
A guy I served with told a story from his grandfather about a cougar attack while on horseback.  His grandfather was a Texas Ranger around 1900 and had to travel on horseback while making his patrols.  One day out in hill country a cougar jumped off a rock, landing on the horse's back between him and the horse's head and went for his horse's neck.

His grandfather shot the cougar with a .45 Long Colt and the cat turned on him.  Another shot right in the cat's chest killed it.  My buddy said he always thought that was a tall tale until he was given all the grandfather's memorabilia after his death.

One of the items he got was a sheepskin jacket that was bloody and had shredded by a big cat's claws.  From then on he fully believed the story.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Google mountain lion goes for throat.

Multiple reports of lions killing horses via their throat and ripping it's throat out.

Also videos of lions ripping elk and deer throat out.
View Quote
I just googled it.

If you can find footage where a mountain lion takes a elk from going under it and going for it's throat I would like to see it.
They will drag them by the throat or make a killing bite on it after it's down but they won't start the attack on the throat.

Cats won't go under a big animal like that  and face injury , they don't have to. They are killing machines from the top .
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Something is hunting and killing things for fun and it ain't no mountain lion.
View Quote
It could be a  Cougarin or Stone Cougar, or some other big cat hybrid pet.

A semi domesticated big cat will for the sake of killing just like a domesticated cat will hunt and kill small prey, birds, mice etc... just to kill it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A large cat killed five animals...including three horses  Why?  Just for practice.   Forest credit?  
View Quote
Possibly a mother cougar showing her cubs how to hunt.  I've heard stories about cats killing multiple prey like in this story and most times it was found out to be a mother teaching her young to hunt.

But there are also stories out there about big cats killing just to kill.  Recall the recent story about the cat that got loose in the zoo and went around killing a bunch of other display animals just to kill them.

Blood Lust.  Big cats got it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:26:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Wendigo
View Quote
What ever did it did it for fun.

3 horses and  2 dogs, it went into the stable to kill the 2nd horse
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#41]
This story has a squatchy feel to it. Did they find any half rotted llama skulls nearby?
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:35:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've seen three dead along side the highway over the past 23 years.  Call the Game Commission to tell them and they've told me it was a deer.  I told them then they've got a deer with fangs and a long tail laying next to the highway and they might want to check it out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This story has a squatchy feel to it. Did they find any half rotted llama skulls nearby?
View Quote
This is no Sasquatch

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
12 Ga should work fine.   00 buck or slugs.
View Quote
I know for a fact 12ga #6 will kill a mountain lion.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Of course they will if they can get the advantage.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Looked it up so I might as well post it. Confirmed sightings, tracks, dna, etc from the Cougar Network. Obviously not definitive but still interesting.

They have a more recent interactive map on their site. cougarnet.org/confirmations

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Put empty boxes all around the field.
View Quote
That is so stupid it's absolutely fucking brilliant!
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I believe this is correct. The problem isn't about having the power to kill them , the problem is being fast enough to land bullets on them before they get to you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cats are pretty fragile and you don’t need a lot of penetration to hit their vitals. A 9mm is perfectly adequate to take one down.
They are ambush predators and like to pounce on their prey from trees.

I always scan the trees as I walk through the woods.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Looked it up so I might as well post it. Confirmed sightings, tracks, dna, etc from the Cougar Network. Obviously not definitive but still interesting.

They have a more recent interactive map on their site. cougarnet.org/confirmations

https://i.imgur.com/SEUHVBJh.jpg
View Quote
I love how there's a small community of cougars in southern Florida.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Odds are it's a mountain lion with a possibility that it's an escaped exotic cat although it'd probably be easy to tell the difference in wounds and tracks if it's an african lion or tiger.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top