Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:01:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm, I guess I've been out of it since this is the first I've heard about the Garmin. So far, it looks great. Good enough that I want to replace my old original Labradar with one. The Labradar has been very good, but I really dislike the size of it, especially when I'm trying to fit a spotting scope, sand bags, and everything else I need for a data-gathering range trip.

Anyone have anything negative to say about the Garmin? I don't need it to estimate BCs... I'll get those from Bryan.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have as well, but the labradar is capable of giving you downrange data at an absolute max of 200 yards. That's worthless when calculating bc. I've never found data from Bryan litz to be lacking.  He's called a lot of companies to the carpet on their exaggerated claims.
View Quote

My shooter app is several yrs old, but his g1 bc on 107smk 6mm is .510bc.  In reality it's .543 in the 243 and 6creeds tested to 1200.  My shooter app might be just old, not sure when/if it's been updated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I love mine and absolutely do not get the hate. And mine is just the Lite version.

This thread will be full of people who think Labradar just mocked this up in Solidworks the week after Garmin released theirs. It's retarded. And I don't say that to be critical of the Garmin unit, just the hatred people show towards Labradar.

View Quote

Mine absolutely sucks.

Emailed Lab Radar, and to their credit, they replied with a BUNCH of tips.

I have now installed a peep site to help aligning the Crap Radar,
Paid extra money for an external magnetic trigger,
Upgraded the firmware,
Double and triple checked everything,
change frequencies numerous times,
factory reset numerous times,
and basically - this thing is a piece of shit. I'm lucky if it measures 1 shot in a range trip.

Admittedly, I need to followup with Lab Radar again, I really do think this unit is defective.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a garmin.

I have this plan to place it near the target 500 yards away...and record the screen with a camera.

Not sure I'll do it.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Labradar and really liked it.  I ordered the Xero and really like it.  The size of the Xero is just so convenient, that it means I never use the Labradar.  I think this product from Labradar is too late.  Guys like me who like the the OG version but were annoyed by the app never really working right probably already moved on to the Garmin.  The Labradar experience always left something to be desired for me.  The app was bad, it wasn't uncommon that I'd have to restart mine.  Just things like that.  It wasn't like the experience was so great that I have brand loyalty.  In fact, I was happy to try another brand when the Xero came out to see if it was a better experience, and it is.  

I don't see folks who've moved on as going back.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Garmin makes a lot of things, some extremely high tech.  

What else does Labradar make?  This is important, because they couldn't make one product work without serious flaws.  

Yeah, I had one, and I dealt with every flaw and tone deaf consumer support.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Trueing reality with paper, you can also easily do it via your Kestrel though.
View Quote

I understand that, but as I said, the max downrange velocity the labradar can give you is 200 yards.  You aren't truing up any bc with velocity at that distance.
i use results on paper, starting at 600 yards. Often the error is just starting to show up there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Here’s another example of you and your unknown unknowns.

You don’t know what I’m shooting at what distances and it’s never crossed your mind that it might matter.
View Quote

Lol, Ok. Trying up your bc for your muzzloader so you can calculate drop on all those 200 yard shots you make?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, I mean you’ve got an unknown unknown here.

Get your info from Litz and you know what his bullets do in his barrels. You still don’t know what they’ll do in yours, and you don’t even know that you don’t know that.

It’s not a big deal to make corrections based on shooting, but it’s nice to minimize those, in my opinion. I’ve seen bullets measure both higher and lower than litz published bcs. And I shoot a lot of stuff he isn’t measuring.

Data for cast bullets, and even the better modern muzzleloader bullets, is still either nonexistent or published by the maker that has a vested interest in inflating the numbers.
View Quote
 Bullets at an equal Muzzle belocity don't behave differently out of different barrels, minus those with stabilization issues. Try again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

My shooter app is several yrs old, but his g1 bc on 107smk 6mm is .510bc.  In reality it's .543 in the 243 and 6creeds tested to 1200.  My shooter app might be just old, not sure when/if it's been updated.
View Quote

I've found minor variation as well. They update their data as they test various bullets with doppler radar.  Its worth updating your app.  Serious question. Do you think 150 yard velocity data would have allowed you to catch and correct that error?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had a Labradar and really liked it.  I ordered the Xero and really like it.  The size of the Xero is just so convenient, that it means I never use the Labradar.  I think this product from Labradar is too late.  Guys like me who like the the OG version but were annoyed by the app never really working right probably already moved on to the Garmin.  The Labradar experience always left something to be desired for me.  The app was bad, it wasn't uncommon that I'd have to restart mine.  Just things like that.  It wasn't like the experience was so great that I have brand loyalty.  In fact, I was happy to try another brand when the Xero came out to see if it was a better experience, and it is.  

I don't see folks who've moved on as going back.
View Quote

Me neither but I’d assume the bast majority of shooters still don’t own a chronograph, or might eventually need a new one.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lol, Ok. Trying up your bc for your muzzloader so you can calculate drop on all those 200 yard shots you make?
View Quote

I try to point out your ignorance and you just double down on it.

Yes, I regularly shoot muzzleloaders out to 200-300 yards, and yes, bc matters there.

Not to mention cast rifle bullets.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
 Bullets at an equal Muzzle belocity don't behave differently out of different barrels, minus those with stabilization issues. Try again.
View Quote

Yikes.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Why do we have to fight over EVERY subject?

Why do we do this?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I have no experience with Labradar. I debated buying one for a long time but could never pull the trigger because there were so many negative reviews. I bought the Garmin a few months ago and it is awesome. Hopefully Labradar's new version will work just as well, but I probably won't be buying another chrono anytime soon.

ETA: My last trip to the local public range there was a guy setting up a chrono with the light screens. It took him about 10 minutes between assembly, putting it on the tripod, and a lot of back and forth getting it lined up the target. I asked if he had seen the Garmin and he had not, so we set it beside his rifle on the bench. Velocities were about 10 fps greater on the Garmin, which is expected since his chrono was 10 feet in front of the muzzle. Needless to say, he is ditching the vintage equipment for a Gamin.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  I love mine and absolutely do not get the hate. And mine is just the Lite version.
View Quote

When you pay THAT MUCH for an electronic gizmo, you expect it to work.  

When it doesn't, people get pissed.

When asked to fix it and you don't, you lose your present and future customers' loyalty.  

That is why.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

When asked to fix it and you don't, you lose your present and future customers' loyalty.  

That is why.
View Quote

Bingo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Why do we do this?
View Quote

It’s ‘stop liking what I don’t like’ and ‘you must affirm my choices’. Consumerism cancer applied to shooting sports.

Also, there’s a dose of nerd bashing in all of this. Labradar made one of the top 5 advancements in shooting sports in the last 20 years, imo (behind rangefinders that work, higher bc bullets, and scopes with good turrets) and people hate them for it because the sort of engineer who would build a labradar couldn’t build an app to make it easier to use.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#19]
$999???
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That is why.
View Quote

Fix what? The device or the app?

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've found minor variation as well. They update their data as they test various bullets with doppler radar.  Its worth updating your app.  Serious question. Do you think 150 yard velocity data would have allowed you to catch and correct that error?
View Quote

Nope, never said it would either.  I don't own a lab radar, in fact I said I have a magnetospeed and just ordered a Garmin from euro optic last Friday.  In fact, in this thread I actually said I true up my bc at 1200yds after getting solid MV with my magneto and punch in solid numbers in enviro in shooter.  Then I adjust my bc till predicted coincides with actual.....at 1200yds.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#22]
My Garmin is much better than my labradar, no aiming no triggers just set it up and shoot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#23]
for when everything is ice outside you improvise
(Garmin never missed a shot and battery life is insane)
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm still rocking an Oehler 35P that I've had for twenty plus years.  I'd like to replace it for something which isn't pita to set up.

I'll wait until the new Lab shakes out, after reading the SH thread, there's not a lot of love for it there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I have the Magnetospeed and yes it takes a bit of fiddling to use it with a suppressor.  Just could not justify the LR with the issues it has vs price you pay for it.  That said I have the Garmin on the way.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Who hates Labradar?
View Quote

@Tejas1836 do you understand now after the replies to this thread?

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

100 to 150 yards isn't anywhere near enough distance to calculate any type of bc anyhow. Worthless data.
View Quote

Absolutely this! Even 200 yds is useless
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Im not a fan of the LR by any means, but their product doesn’t turn me off. The company and lack of service/support absolutely do. I wouldn’t buy their product if it was the only one on the market. Luckily for me that isn’t the case.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Absolutely this! Even 200 yds is useless
View Quote

I’d agree if we were talking about shooting 1000 yards.

I realize this may bother some people here, but some of us actually shoot other things, where a BC calculated over 150 yards might actually be of some value to us. Not saying it’s perfect, but it is often the starting point I otherwise would not have.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#31]
You can pry my MagnetoSpeed v3 + Wiser Mount from my cold dead hands.

Or let me know when I can get a Garmin for $400.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who hates Labradar?

I have been enlightened. Waiting on my Garmin to be delivered today, I never owned a Lab, was considering before I saw the Garmin.
@arowneragain
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If it still needs an aiming sight, hard pass.
View Quote

Yep.  First thing I saw.  Fuck that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who hates Labradar?

I don't really see any hate in this thread. Just an absurd amount of simping, and I've owned and been happy with my labradar for probably 5 or 6 years.

People are right to be gunshy about a company with a rather spotty record of product support for a luxury good.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#35]
OP is a Labradar Retriever
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep.  First thing I saw.  Fuck that.
View Quote

Right. Because gun people are so inconvenienced by aiming stuff.

(The jokes write themselves)
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I don't really see any hate in this thread. Just an absurd amount of simping,
View Quote

You mean the Garmin folks who keep showing up to declare theirs is better, without even reading the spec sheet on the new Labradar?

Yeah, it's pretty pitiful.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
OP is a Labradar Retriever
View Quote

More like a pointer, but, lol.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:45:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Where the fuck are the dogs?

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#40]

Thank you. After all the howling in this thread it needed a dog picture.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#41]
This definitely has the Garmin beat for the 0.001% of shooters who are shooting a black powder wildcat and need velocity readings 100yds down range to spitball a BC.

Too little too late. I’ll stand by my prediction Labradar won’t be around a year from now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This definitely has the Garmin beat for the 0.001% of shooters who are shooting a black powder wildcat and need velocity readings 100yds down range to spitball a BC.

Too little too late. I’ll stand by my prediction Labradar won’t be around a year from now.
View Quote

I don't think your 0.001% figure is anywhere close to accurate - and let's be honest, you don't either.

Guess we'll know in a year whether they stick around.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Why would I need to "estimate" bc when that data is widely available for nearly every popular bullet on the market?  Labradar has a lot of catching up to do, because the Garmin unit is superior in every single way.
View Quote

I use some relatively obscure copper solid bullets to hunt. (Badlands bulldozer II’s.) Great bullets, but the factory BC was not accurate for me. Litz doesn’t even publish a BC for them.

The extrapolated G7 BC I got from the labradar was dead nuts on at 1000 yards.

The extrapolated BC I got for ELD-X’s was within .001 of what the factory publishes.

If you shoot bullets on the edge of stability, your BC will likely be lower than what the factory publishes.

If nothing else, it helps keep the industry honest.

OP I 100% agree, I love my labradar and don’t get the hate. Some of the best shooting money I’ve ever spent.

Despite its “clunky” interface getting stepped out velocities at distance is worth it for me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm just patiently waiting for the Garmin to get in the $250 range...
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why do we do this?
View Quote

And this why we can't have nice things!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I don't think your 0.001% figure is anywhere close to accurate - and let's be honest, you don't either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooters where 10-15yd down range velocity matters. My number is probably high.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:32:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Savage
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Lol, Trijicon 2.0.

"Now that we say on our asses for years, competitors blew past us. Quick let's copy them and the populous will think they are copying us!"

Good for them. I'm sure it will work, too.

I have a LR. It was ahead of its time...7 years ago. Unfortunate that they never even got the app to work properly, and basically said Fuck Off to their entire customer base when they asked for a fix.

I'd not buy another.
View Quote

All of this.  Bought the Garmin and so far it’s been amazing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Why do we do this?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
for when everything is ice outside you improvise
(Garmin never missed a shot and battery life is insane)
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/141584/22_LR_jpg-3103473.JPG
View Quote

Looks a bit familiar!

Sort of

Attachment Attached File
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top