Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I've only flown on one a couple of times. One was a "commuter" flight from east coast to west coast. The other time was just a few years ago as the wife and I flew to Hawaii. Both times it was by far the most smooth flying airplane I've ever been on.

All things must end but this one gives me a sad.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#2]
@Wings2Wheels

You are welcome in my Jumpseat anytime.

I had two American pilots Jumpseat with us from JFK to ANC, and we gave them the VIP treatment. They were pretty amazed!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They're filling it's bunker with the initial load of coal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the big tube into the roof sucking its brains out?

They're filling it's bunker with the initial load of coal.

Nut coal or wing coal?
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Sad moments, I hate to  know that's happening, the 747 aircraft was a magnificent beast.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Damn 737 landing at T-38 ref speeds....
View Quote

Speaking of T-38s……

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

… Boeing got some new (to them) chase planes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
BIG PLANES BURN BIG COAL!

TC
View Quote

I LOLed!

The Gosht Ship. It's hard to be discrete in such a big bird.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:01:32 PM EDT
[#7]
That aircraft is older than me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:06:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I keep wanting to fly Lufthansa just for the chance of getting on one
View Quote

In late 2018, the first leg of my trip to the sandbox was on a Lufthansa 74 in regular economy.

Now, I've been crew on our 767s, including the ones with our Heathrow based flight attendants who do a fantastic job with what they're given to work with....and it didn't come CLOSE to the experience on Lufthansa.

In retrospect I should have asked if I could have visited the cockpit, but as crew, I know how busy it can be prior to international flights and didn't want to bother them. In hindsight I should have.

If U.S.-based carriers could provide service even half as good, we'd be king kong...instead, we are trying to lower costs, lower expectations, and compete with the likes of Spirit and Allegiant.

The ride on the 74 was smooth, seat pitch a LOT bigger than the U.S. equivalent in coach, and service above and beyond.  Totally worth it...even though I wasn't footing the bill!

Now...the rotation back to the states is another story entirely, was also supposed to be on a 74 supplied by a shall-not-be-mentioned mil-air contract carrier who left nearly 300 of us stranded at Al Udeid because they were running behind, had crew duty issues, and their roller system wasn't working.  They obviously didn't know the capability of 300 U.S. GIs to hand load and secure their trash when properly motivated to GTFO a shithole....we would have been loaded before they could have finished putting the gas on the jet!
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@TimeOnTarget
You just moved up to one of my favorite posters here!
Awesome photos and stories.
View Quote

Thanks Brother!

It's been a wild ride for sure. I am blessed.

This is the ladder that we climb to the upper deck. It can fold up out of the way for cargo loading.
Attachment Attached File

Descending into Afghanistan.
Attachment Attached File

The two massive outflow valves that control pressurization.
Attachment Attached File

Winglet
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the pleasure of traveling by 747 on a few occasions.

The best was after missing a connecting flight and trapped at LAX, trying to get to D.C., I got put on a 747 that was being moved in an equipment transfer with only a handful of passengers (all missed connections) and one flight attendant. After take-off, she moved us all up to First Class on the upper deck to make her job easier. No food but she had a drink trolley with the seal already broken (so she wasn’t responsible for the inventory, she told me). Free drinks and everybody was just socializing like we were at a cocktail party. When the Captain announced we would soon be landing at Dulles, we were all pleading for them to just circle around for awhile
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:12:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Its always cool seeing a shitload of 74s whenever we'd go into CVG. Sad they're going away but writing has been on wall for years.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can't read the thread title without thinking of Dos Gringos...  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e9EDf5WVQ0
View Quote

Saw Trip & Snooze perform at the pilot's O-club at Barksdale (yes, there was a separate one near the Qs for us debaucherous idiots) in 2002 when I was going through the A-10 B course and they were in for an Air Warrior II.  

It was fun singing along with them prior to their stuff blowing up (pun intended) after OIF.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:16:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am really surprised the military hasn't purchased more of them - the Looking Glass mission etc are still 707 based.

And I always loved the Cruise Missile Carrier Aircraft concept.  
View Quote

The cruise missile carrier was doomed at the start. You can't take a jet that was designed as an oval or semi-oval and simply cut a bunch of holes in the bottom, put missile racks inside, and have any sort of structural integrity afterwards.

Ask the engineers who had to design the P-8 torpedo launch bay into a 737 fuselage.  That bird had all sorts of flex problems and cracking at the start.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Boeing literally just opened a big new facility in west valley Phoenix. Drove by it yesterday-- Camelback-ish and 303 west.
View Quote

HUGE building.... I'm sure there are bigger ones, but that sucker seems like it has its' own weather forecast inside of it!
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@Wings2Wheels

You are welcome in my Jumpseat anytime.

I had two American pilots Jumpseat with us from JFK to ANC, and we gave them the VIP treatment. They were pretty amazed!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/432675/tempImagexP5zoA_jpg-2498593.JPG
View Quote

Appreciate that sir!  I may take you up on that sometime.

For the record, you're always welcome on my jumpseat as well...but you'll have to unfold it, lock it into place, and watch your knees if/when either pilot slides their seat back.

I won't even get into the 2nd jumpseat they are putting in our MAXes.  If you're not a 4' double leg amputee below the hip, you're not fitting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#16]

NICE!  I wonder if I have flight time in that bird.

The -38 is gonna have to tap 'burner just to keep up with the stretched 73s in the pattern....
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#17]
T-38 has a 25 foot wingspan.  B747's cabin is about 19 feet wide.  So if the T-38's wings were able to fold about 3 feet from each tip, you could fit it in a 747
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is anyone taking delivery of 767s in pax configuration anymore, or are they all freighters? Are they -300 or -400 airframe?

The KC-46...whoever took the boomer out of the tail should be drawn & quartered.

Could the triple be the last true Boeing jet to have come off the line?
View Quote

Nope..just freighters and tankers
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Or they could just stay in Renton. But they have already shrunk the Renton facility’s geographical footprint over the years.

I won’t surprise me if the upcoming machinists union labor negotiations and resulting agreement in 2024 might play a determining factor in those sort of decisions, too.
View Quote

I was in a professional development seminar, and one of the senior VPs was giving us a pep talk, ironically after admitting that first level manager in any of the factories was considered "the worst job in Boeing". He started down the road about how we needed to push the envelope on efficiency and pioneer new multi-use processes because demand for the 737 was so high and we were so space constrained.

I asked him why the onus fell on the newest and least influential managers to overcome a critical obstacle when we'd had plenty of real estate, before Boeing had sold off good parts of Renton at a huge profit to commercial real estate developers. You could have heard a pin drop, the other firsts looked at me like I'd grown a second head.

He looked at me pretty hard too, and then explained that Boeing used the limitation as a "forcing function" to "take managers out of their comfort zone and make them innovate".

Not sure how close to the end that was for me, but it definitely helped shape my decision.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#20]
About every six months or so I think about applying at Atlas.  I wanted to fly the 747 ever since watching Airport 75 as a kid.  I wound up in a flying job that has me home nearly every day and pays enough to cover the bills.  Too unmotivated towards flying to spend 16 days away from home at this point.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There will probably be a couple thousand dollars worth of tools lost in the fuselage and wings of that thing. Kudos to Boeing for killing one of their last viable product lines and fully committing to their legacy of obscurity as one of the last great American manufacturers.
View Quote

Lol...they're not all lost. When the customer did the first major inspection and depaneled the aircraft we'd get back a box of them. I'm pretty sure that's part of the reason they started forcing the managers to do the mechanics tool cart inventories, so they could go back to them and say "how did YOU sign off on this hammer being present in the toolkit, when you never filed a lost tool report and it was found, by customer, on tail XXXXXX."

They knew damn well the real reason was because both the mechanics and the tool crib people that gave them the replacement hammer were union, but hell would have frozen over before they admitted it. Boeing cheated and lied through the FAA special inspection when the problem became impossible to hide, if they'd of gotten caught doing some of that stuff the FAA would have shut the line down and cost Boeing hundreds of millions of dollars.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damn, Atlas Air got the final 4. I hope they keep them looking good.

RIP to the Queen of the Skies.

I fear there will never be another 4 engine jumbo in our time.

Thank you OP for the picture.
View Quote

Airbus A380?

Edit: NM, I see it is no longer in production as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#23]
If I still lived in WA I'd be there to see it roll out and fly for the first time
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#25]
A couple of pictures I took with a 747 parked on the PAPA ramp when the Antonov's were there.  The 225 is in the back.

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes. I always ask my wife to take me. It’s probably pretty mundane for her after 36 years, but I still find the processes and the scale of everything interesting. The big birds never fail to impress.

Glad I got to see the last 747 at the end of the assembly line. I am hoping they have some sort of celebration for its rollout or first flight. End of an era for sure. The wife has been told that she will be able work the program right into its grave sometime next summer, winding everything down, wrapping things up and making final dispositions for the remnants. Probably going to be an emotional time when that last day comes.

I do also have limited access as a railroad employee. But would be really pushing it to do stuff like this.
View Quote

If you are up for it, the Renton family day is Sept 18. We are opening the P-8 line for walk through for the first time as well. Plus you can see where BNSF drops off all those fuselages.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Time capsule so future generations can ooo and ahhh over what a great country this once was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are they doing with all of the tooling afterwards?

Scrap bin?
Save it for spares production?

Time capsule so future generations can ooo and ahhh over what a great country this once was.

Beat me to it; my thoughts as well.

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
T-38 has a 25 foot wingspan.  B747's cabin is about 19 feet wide.  So if the T-38's wings were able to fold about 3 feet from each tip, you could fit it in a 747
View Quote

T-38s have large wingtip sections outboard of the ailerons (gotta be close to 3') that are affixed simply via a row of screws, and the spar does not carry all the way out through it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you are up for it, the Renton family day is Sept 18. We are opening the P-8 line for walk through for the first time as well. Plus you can see where BNSF drops off all those fuselages.
View Quote

Well....not *all* the fuselages get dropped off there.

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You would be surprised as how much of that old tooling is sold to other continents like Africa.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#31]
What the hell is Boeing going to do? Is there a 797 or 808 in the works? they cant make 737s forever.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What the hell is Boeing going to do? Is there a 797 or 808 in the works? they cant make 737s forever.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are going to start an aluminum recycling business...and build 737s from the scrap!

The 737 is like the herpes of the aviation world...it just won't. Go. Away!
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#34]
My Guard unit got to fly NWA   N601US from Wi to Idaho for a 3 week AT we went on back in the 90's . it was a contract flight, turns out it was the 27th Jumbo jet off the line in 1969.
Later the Nose was donated to the Smithsonian and the rest of it was scrapped in 2007.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 9:58:16 PM EDT
[#35]
My brother just made the hop across the pond and back on a LH 747 .

OP did you get to sign the last one?
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They closed the 787 lines in Everett and consolidated all production at Charleston, SC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks like this particular bay is going to be used for the 767/KC46. There are already 767 freighter forward sections behind this 747. I don't know if they are relocating the 767 final assembly line from the back of the building where it was relegated during the haydays or what, but they are already staging 767 parts where they used to keep 747 parts.

Beyond that, with the loss of the 747, 787 and OG 777, there is going to be some empty real estate in that building. It's difficult to describe just how big it is.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2117/7C0B0FC3-08DB-40CF-9E65-361D80610FAD_jpe-2498169.JPG

It won't surprise me if when whatever replaces the 737 comes along they build it in Everett and close down the Renton plant.

787 Dreamliner - loss?   I thought they had just finally worked out the kinks to resume production on the 787?

The Last 747 - Truly History.    

Bigger_Hammer

They closed the 787 lines in Everett and consolidated all production at Charleston, SC.
I did not know that.  I know a lot of people went from Huntsville to Charleston when Boeing bought the factory there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Saw Trip & Snooze perform at the pilot's O-club at Barksdale (yes, there was a separate one near the Qs for us debaucherous idiots) in 2002 when I was going through the A-10 B course and they were in for an Air Warrior II.  

It was fun singing along with them prior to their stuff blowing up (pun intended) after OIF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't read the thread title without thinking of Dos Gringos...  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e9EDf5WVQ0

They hit Nellis while I was there... but I was busy flying nights on the MQ-1.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well....not *all* the fuselages get dropped off there.

https://media-cldnry.s-nbcnews.com/image/upload/newscms/2014_27/548951/140706-boeing-fuselages-jms-1758.jpg

gave rise to this scheme....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. I always ask my wife to take me. It’s probably pretty mundane for her after 36 years, but I still find the processes and the scale of everything interesting. The big birds never fail to impress.

Glad I got to see the last 747 at the end of the assembly line. I am hoping they have some sort of celebration for its rollout or first flight. End of an era for sure. The wife has been told that she will be able work the program right into its grave sometime next summer, winding everything down, wrapping things up and making final dispositions for the remnants. Probably going to be an emotional time when that last day comes.

I do also have limited access as a railroad employee. But would be really pushing it to do stuff like this.

Thanks for the heads up. I kind of doubt my wife would want to go, but if I want to I could probably hit up a nephew of hers who is a senior manager somewhere down there.

As far as dropping off fuselages, been there, done that. Played around with them quite a bit at Balmer Yard in Seattle, too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Flown from SEA to LHR several times on -400's over the last couple of decades.  On our last trip, was able to book seats (business class) in the hump.  Never had the chance before, so I jumped at it.  Glad I had the opportunity to do so, since British Airways scrapped their remaining 747's during the pandemic.  Next trip over will be either a 777 or 787.

The Museum of Flight in Seattle has the first 747 ever built.  Walked through it last time I was there.  Unfortunately, it was turned into a test bed aircraft, with almost all of the interiors stripped out for test equipment.  No access to the hump or the flight deck.

End of an era.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Never flown on a 747....which is a bummer.

Been on a few long-range transoceanic flights, and they were either 787 or 777 aircraft.

Possibly headed to Perth, Australia for work, and when I looked at the possible flights to get a travel quote for the customer, the aircraft was the 787 for the long legs.

Don't get me wrong, I like the 787, I just want to experience the 747.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Never flown on a 747....which is a bummer.

Been on a few long-range transoceanic flights, and they were either 787 or 777 aircraft.

Possibly headed to Perth, Australia for work, and when I looked at the possible flights to get a travel quote for the customer, the aircraft was the 787 for the long legs.

Don't get me wrong, I like the 787, I just want to experience the 747.
View Quote

Fly to Germany on Lufthansa.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I was in a professional development seminar, and one of the senior VPs was giving us a pep talk, ironically after admitting that first level manager in any of the factories was considered "the worst job in Boeing". He started down the road about how we needed to push the envelope on efficiency and pioneer new multi-use processes because demand for the 737 was so high and we were so space constrained.

I asked him why the onus fell on the newest and least influential managers to overcome a critical obstacle when we'd had plenty of real estate, before Boeing had sold off good parts of Renton at a huge profit to commercial real estate developers. You could have heard a pin drop, the other firsts looked at me like I'd grown a second head.

He looked at me pretty hard too, and then explained that Boeing used the limitation as a "forcing function" to "take managers out of their comfort zone and make them innovate".

Not sure how close to the end that was for me, but it definitely helped shape my decision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or they could just stay in Renton. But they have already shrunk the Renton facility’s geographical footprint over the years.

I won’t surprise me if the upcoming machinists union labor negotiations and resulting agreement in 2024 might play a determining factor in those sort of decisions, too.

There’s enough Boeing property around the CHS airport for BSC to fit two additional final assembly buildings.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that’s just modern, MBA ran corporate America. Purposely run everything on too short of a shoe string to maximize asset utilization, hyper efficiency, squeezing every last possible penny of out of the place for the next quarterly report. No redundancy or ability to absorb inevitable problems. We’ll deal with the future when it gets here. Then expect the ground level managers to somehow make it work. I see it at the railroad. It’s infuriatingly frustrating and one of the reasons I decided not to continue on a management track.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
"We had a (buzzword) plan in place and this (buzzwords) opportunity allowed us to bring the team together to implement a (buzzwords and platitudes) solution."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There will probably be a couple thousand dollars worth of tools lost in the fuselage and wings of that thing. Kudos to Boeing for killing one of their last viable product lines and fully committing to their legacy of obscurity as one of the last great American manufacturers.

Lol...they're not all lost. When the customer did the first major inspection and depaneled the aircraft we'd get back a box of them. I'm pretty sure that's part of the reason they started forcing the managers to do the mechanics tool cart inventories, so they could go back to them and say "how did YOU sign off on this hammer being present in the toolkit, when you never filed a lost tool report and it was found, by customer, on tail XXXXXX."

They knew damn well the real reason was because both the mechanics and the tool crib people that gave them the replacement hammer were union, but hell would have frozen over before they admitted it. Boeing cheated and lied through the FAA special inspection when the problem became impossible to hide, if they'd of gotten caught doing some of that stuff the FAA would have shut the line down and cost Boeing hundreds of millions of dollars.
"We had a (buzzword) plan in place and this (buzzwords) opportunity allowed us to bring the team together to implement a (buzzwords and platitudes) solution."

Probably every corporate conference call in America.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#46]
My dad told me when he was a kid in the 50s and 60s there was no greater thing to aspire to than to be a Boeing engineer. It’s kind of interesting though because I think dudes got laid off and would shuffle back and forth to Douglas in Long Beach, get laid off and come back, etc.—almost like seasonal work. My granddad worked on the 727 and 747 lines and my great granddad worked for a Boeing contractor down in Tacoma.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My dad told me when he was a kid in the 50s and 60s there was no greater thing to aspire to than to be a Boeing engineer. It’s kind of interesting though because I think dudes got laid off and would shuffle back and forth to Douglas in Long Beach, get laid off and come back, etc.—almost like seasonal work. My granddad worked on the 727 and 747 lines and my great granddad worked for a Boeing contractor down in Tacoma.
View Quote

I'd argue that Boeing's problems can be directly traced back to its integration of McDonnell Douglass leadership into its leadership structure.  Boeing used to be great engineers who built planes as a business.  MD's culture was to focus on the business more than the engineering.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Upper deck on the freighter looking aft.
Attachment Attached File

Looking forward.
Attachment Attached File

The galley.
Attachment Attached File

One of two bunks aft upper deck.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#49]
The nose door.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I always thought the polished aluminum looked great.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I'd argue that Boeing's problems can be directly traced back to its integration of McDonnell Douglass leadership into its leadership structure.  Boeing used to be great engineers who built planes as a business.  MD's culture was to focus on the business more than the engineering.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I vaguely recall my uncle, who also worked for Boeing, saying something similar during the merger itself.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top