Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The hitch mounts to the sheetmetal, and not to the trucks frame?

The height of the camper/hitch leg isn't standard to clear the height of a truck bed?

The damage shown seems to be the result of an improper setup, isn't it?
View Quote

Yes, of course it physically mounts to the frame, but the bed floor is where it "sits".  
There are some adjustments on the hitch and/or camper...but with a lifted truck, you run out of adjustment quick.  Plus, bedsides on new trucks are taller than ever.  Bed floor to bedrail is 19" on my 1996, and 23" on my 2018.  That's 4" lost right there...

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Did the lift kit come with new rear leaf springs? If so I’d verify their weight rating. Truck may be a 3500, but new springs may not be as stout as factory.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#3]
My stock 2019 ram 2500 on 35" tires its 59 3/4 at the bed rail.

Did ya try hitching up to a freaken trailer? I bet the truck will sit good with a big 5th wheel camper.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#6]
It's probably been mentioned but many modern 5th wheels already sit very high. Lifting the camper might lead to a lot of clearance issues, especially if you plan on camping in any areas with trees.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you flip the axles on your camper don't forget to build an extra set of steps to actually get into it.
View Quote

also make sure your overall height is less than 13' 6"  otherwise you may be buying some bridges

b
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Raising the CG of a trailer to match a lifted truck is dangerous.  Lower your truck is the safer way to go.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I got you.

Just get a drop hitch there in the middle

Edit upload
View Quote

Here is a quality post in so many ways
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Unlift it or trade it off on an unmodified pickup.

Bro dozers can't hang.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some moron lifted a clumsy ass dually and now the solution given is to raise a fifth wheel to match?

Take that stupid shit off the dually and save yourself from sliding inverted off the highway like the brodozer version of Top Gun.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#12]
You need to un-brodoze it then the truck will fit the mission.  Lifting the trailer should be an auto-nogo, pulling trailers like that should be taken seriously.  Plus you dont want to crop the top of your trailer on vacation when you encounter a low bridge/tunnel or have to find an alternate long way around route.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Take all that bro-dozer shit off, put Carli back in. I like air bags in the rear of my trucks as well.

You won't need a lift anywhere you're getting a camper into, the vehicle will behave better, tow better, and you won't have to do a stupid axle flip and raise the center of gravity on the trailer.
View Quote

I agree with everything except he may still have to flip the axles.  I had to on a standard Ram 2500 4x4.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, unfuck the brodozer if you want a tow rig.  You could, as mentioned above, find somebody who wants all that shit on it and will return it to stock for free labor to get the parts.
OR, you could lift the fifth wheel, put big tires on it, and put your family's life on the line due to high CG and increased likelihood of loss of control.  Not to mention how much more crosswinds will affect you.  
Some people's kids.... the truck you have will not safely do what you are going to do.  Revert to stock or get a different rig.

You've been told this several times in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#15]
When lifting goes bad.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I agree with everything except he may still have to flip the axles.  I had to on a standard Ram 2500 4x4.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Take all that bro-dozer shit off, put Carli back in. I like air bags in the rear of my trucks as well.

You won't need a lift anywhere you're getting a camper into, the vehicle will behave better, tow better, and you won't have to do a stupid axle flip and raise the center of gravity on the trailer.

Possibly, the manufacturers are getting stupid with the standard bed heights on trucks over the years. I have a 2007 5th wheel toy hauler that I pulled with a 2003 Dodge 2500 4x4, the trailer rode nice and level and had plenty of clearance over the bed rails. I upgraded to a 2018 Ram 3500 Dually 4x4 (stock height) and now the trailer rides nose high and I have to be careful pulling into my driveway or I'll hit the bed rails. I'm now pretty much stuck with an axle flip on my trailer to get the trailer level and still have enough bed rail clearance. Dropping the hitch height isn't an option because of the clearance issues and lengthening the trailer pin box isn't an option because the trailer is already riding heavy on the #3 axle.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My stock 2019 ram 2500 on 35" tires its 59 3/4 at the bed rail.

Did ya try hitching up to a freaken trailer? I bet the truck will sit good with a big 5th wheel camper.
View Quote

This is my bet as well. I have a 2017 ram 2500 with a 4 inch lift kit on 20 inch wheels and 35 inch tires and all I pull is a small two horse trailer with a 10 inch drop hitch. It’s not perfect but it’s close enough to being level but with a bigger fifth wheel I bet it would be just fine in your case
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:50:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I think the 4 inch lift on 35s looks good and is still useable for towing.

OP...  If your really going to tow a lot you would be better to put a 4 inch  on it with 35s.  You probably have a transfer case indexing ring so you may have to take that out if you go with a smaller lift.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

also make sure your overall height is less than 13' 6"  otherwise you may be buying some bridges

b
View Quote
That's definitely a concern, many 5th wheel campers are already running at or close to 13'6" already. Flipping axles can put you over that and legally puts you into the over sized load category in many States although RVs are usually not on the DOT cops radars unless you're a hotshot operator. Out here it's rare to find bridges that are under 15' but there are still some old bridges that are 14' or less. Go up to the PNW or back east and low bridges become more common.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#20]

I’ve got a lifted older 2002 2500HD Duramax. The bed rails sit at 59 1/2” on mine. It’s got 35’s. I put 3” lift blocks (indexed for axles with pin holes and 5/8 heavy duty u-bolts) on the camper (you can’t flip the axles on my style camper springs already mounted on axle). I then also swapped out the factory 15” wheels and tires for 16” aluminum wheels and tires that were 1” taller. It works well and I haven’t had any issues. Most the weight in campers is down low near the floor. Cabinets, tanks, furnace, water heater, etc.

I will say that when I walk the roof the camper does sway back and forth, but it did that at stock height. The manufacturers don’t put heavy enough springs on them from the factory.

It has about 9” of clearance between rails and bottom of fifth wheel overhang. You want at least 6”.  I did adjust the hitch down in the truck to level the camper out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Just run smaller wheels when towing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Okay, I'm back. There are other things in my life besides surfing arfcom, so I apologize. Couple of things......

Yes, I bought the brodozer knowing full well what I was doing. I liked the way it looked, and it's more than capable of doing everything I need it to do. That only changes if we get a 5er.

This isn't some cobbled together chinesium lift / tires / wheels combo. Quality components were used and I haven't had a minutes worth of trouble in three years, although that's only about 20k miles.

Tires are Nittos and they're the correct load rating. Wheels are American Force.

I currently have a 32ft bumper pull, and the truck doesn't drag the rear bumper. With a golf cart in the bed and the camper on the hitch, the truck squats ever so slightly. Previous owner pulled a D5 dozer regularly. I have also regularly pulled a 40 ft. gooseneck equipment trailer, although it was generally only loaded with 6 or 7 side by sides and 4 wheelers, so not exactly high payload weight. You'll be surprised to hear that it pulls just fine, doesn't hunt gears and it stops just fine, too. Correct drop hitch so trailer pulls level, too.

I understand that the 'dozer is not the ideal tow rig. I am simply exploring options. But saying it can not or should not tow anything is a little much. I have been to several dealers, but generally the salesmen will say "I'm sure we can make it work" without having a clue.

Attachment Attached File

ETA different tires now. Nitto Trail Grapplers load range E and 10 ply
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Okay, I'm back. There are other things in my life besides surfing arfcom, so I apologize. Couple of things......

Yes, I bought the brodozer knowing full well what I was doing. I liked the way it looked, and it's more than capable of doing everything I need it to do. That only changes if we get a 5er.

This isn't some cobbled together chinesium lift / tires / wheels combo. Quality components were used and I haven't had a minutes worth of trouble in three years, although that's only about 20k miles.

Tires are Nittos and they're the correct load rating. Wheels are American Force.

I currently have a 32ft bumper pull, and the truck doesn't drag the rear bumper. With a golf cart in the bed and the camper on the hitch, the truck squats ever so slightly. Previous owner pulled a D5 dozer regularly. I have also regularly pulled a 40 ft. gooseneck equipment trailer, although it was generally only loaded with 6 or 7 side by sides and 4 wheelers, so not exactly high payload weight. You'll be surprised to hear that it pulls just fine, doesn't hunt gears and it stops just fine, too. Correct drop hitch so trailer pulls level, too.

I understand that the 'dozer is not the ideal tow rig. I am simply exploring options. But saying it can not or should not tow anything is a little much. I have been to several dealers, but generally the salesmen will say "I'm sure we can make it work" without having a clue.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126644/Dually_jpg-1762129.JPG

View Quote

Trailer salesmen will frequently sell people trailers that are too much for their truck, or that the guy "can" pull, but when they actually do in the real world it ends up kissing their back cab corners and bed rails. I wouldn't rely on them for information.

FWIW, those brush guards don't protect your truck when you hit stuff, they just increase the amount of damage done. Actual bumpers are a different story.

ETA: Big tires effectively lower your diff gear ratio too
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:00:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Put it back to OEM as others have said. Lifting the trailer is how you turn the whole mess over on the freeway, unless you want to turn the whole mess over on the freeway.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#25]
A lifted 1 ton DRW has lost significant towing capacity.  I suggest you purchase a rear tow camper with weight distribution hitch and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

FWIW, those brush guards don't protect your truck when you hit stuff, they just increase the amount of damage done. Actual bumpers are a different story.
View Quote

But they are great at ensuring the pedestrian you nail is extra dead.

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#27]
If converting your truck back to a capable 5th wheel tow rig is off the table then your only option is to tow a bumper pull.  I wouldn't modify a 5th wheel to work with your truck.  I had a 37' toy hauler bumper pull before I went to 5th wheel and it pulled just fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#28]
You need a custom lo-pro hitch, and a sawzall for the bed rails.  To easy
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You sure about that?

Attachment Attached File

I lifted my trailer 4" to be level with my FJ40. On a fifth wheel I imagine you could do the same, but the high CoG might effect you in the wind.

ETA: Just saw the brodozer. I think you can fit a fifth wheel on there, but I'm no expert. It doesn't look that big. *Shrug*
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126644/Dually_jpg-1762129.JPG

View Quote

That truck isn’t exactly massive. It looks like a leveling kit and big tires. Post a pic of the rear end (leafs and blocks) to confirm.

If that’s the case, just drop a tire size or two and buy whatever you want. You’re overthinking and posters in this thread seem to be expecting a 12” lift from the advice they’re posting.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That truck isn’t exactly massive. It looks like a leveling kit and big tires. Post a pic of the rear end (leafs and blocks) to confirm.

If that’s the case, just drop a tire size or two and buy whatever you want. You’re overthinking and posters in this thread seem to be expecting a 12” lift from the advice they’re posting.
View Quote

Very Possible. Dealership originally said 4" lift but I'm not so sure, and until now, never had a reason to investigate.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Very Possible. Dealership originally said 4" lift but I'm not so sure, and until now, never had a reason to investigate.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/126644/rear_jpg-1762244.JPG
View Quote

It has zero suspension lift on it..notice it still has the stock shocks, it would not if it had a suspension lift kit on it...Buy stock tires/rims to bolt on when you haul your fifth wheel trailer...

ETA: looking at the pic closer, it looks like they might have added some leaf spring chunks to act as lift kit along with longer U-bolts...easy job to remove them and make it bone stock again...
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

OEM shock and the block and leafs look unmolested. I’m 99% sure the rear is factory and it’s just a leveling kit. A Dodge guy could probably confirm better than me.

I’d drop to 35” tires and go buy whatever 5th wheel you want.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stock HDs are pretty tall anymore, so there's not a lot of margin often times.

Part of this may be semantics, some people refer to a level as a 2" lift.

My Ram has coils, but I am not entirely sure that leaf setup is stock. I don't have a 1 ton handy to confirm
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:42:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:04:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There is such a thing as a fifth wheel dolly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Everybody always thinks it's about pulling, when it's about stopping.

Quoted:

Yup and yup.

https://www.safetytowingsystems.com
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:19:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:38:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Someone has to have footage of them backing that thing up.  Watching a bro-dozer pull a lifted 5th wheel through a Wyoming windstorm would also be amusing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:28:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The rear looks stock.  I bet you have a 2-3" level in the front...

My old stock 2016 for comparison:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Send your clapped out shit box to the crusher where it fucking belongs.
View Quote

So Edgy. I'm on it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Ratchet straps on your shocks
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Send your clapped out shit box to the crusher where it fucking belongs.
View Quote

Ok boomer
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#46]
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 6MT: Regular Car Reviews
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:06:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Well you want 6-8 inches of clearance from the bed rails and the fifth wheel to be flat.  So sounds like you’re gonna have a light ass pin weight causing weight to shift to the rear axle.   Also bigger tires effect your final gear ratio, so might as well check to make sure proper leaf springs are on it and the lift kit isn’t a piece of shit.

ETA, for all I care go for it, do an Axle Flip with an over under kit and you’ll be more than fine
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:10:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#49]
I don't read good, can't figure out why people think I'm dumber than shit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I don't read good, can't figure out why people think I'm dumber than shit.
View Quote

At least you are a good sport about it bro.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top