Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Take some pictures and head down to the local newspaper. They love shit like this when a politician is involved.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep....at some point the load will get high enough that it doesn't matter how far the 4x4 posts are in the ground, you'll snap them off at ground level.  The size of the shade + the wind load / by the strength of the 2 4x4's.  Either that or the shade will just rip off the boards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I want to have 4x4 posts about 12 feet above ground to hold a sunshade capable of withstanding Kansas wind from the north, wonder how deep I'll need to sink those in the ground?

If you are going that high, I would get some drill pipe instead.  Will be stronger and last longer.

Yep....at some point the load will get high enough that it doesn't matter how far the 4x4 posts are in the ground, you'll snap them off at ground level.  The size of the shade + the wind load / by the strength of the 2 4x4's.  Either that or the shade will just rip off the boards.

Guy wires...
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If they use it to gawk and stare at his family then 100% abso-fucking-lutely its a problem.
View Quote

Yet, no one has demonstrated they have done that. You have the word of one person and by his own admission they have been cordial toward his family. He still has not answered the question of how old the other kids are. Are they 6 or 16?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Problem with HOA is that eventually, they will turn into the very thing it was meant to stop: other people butting their noses into YOUR business in YOUR home. Only now they have a legally binding contract with you that you can eventually be fined and held liable to pay those fines. Even if its petty bullshit.

OP needs to record the perverted behavior of mayor and his pervert offspring then come election time freely disperse said footage to local media.

Or OP runs against mayor pervert if only to spread the message with media attention.
View Quote

OP is sounding like a shrieking Karen who thinks he's the main character.

He's yet to give any details of the actions and ages of the neighbors.

Sounds more like they are just living their best life paying no attention to the OP.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

And sometimes a Biden is just a Biden.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Three year old girls?

Sometimes a tree house is just a tree house.

And sometimes a Biden is just a Biden.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Just put a camera on a pole, face it into the neighbors yard. Mail them, and everyone you care to, the web address for the livestream.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
3 yo girls... how old are the neighbors kids? maybe ask them if they want to come play in the pool
View Quote

Do kids who live next door to each other play together? I vaguely remember when I was a kid playing with my neighbors. Our parents let us stay out until the man came around to light the street lights.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Build your own platform that will block their view...with the ugly side facing neighbor's yard...even better, mirrors on the side facing the neighbor.  Focused mirrors with blinding light/heat would be best.

Or, just a mirrored mylar panel on your side of your fence facing their platform.  That way, you aren't building a high fence that would require special permits...it is just a sun block for your pool.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Canvas movie screen made from a white painters drop cloth

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-ft-x-12-ft-canvas-dropcloth-38109.html

black iron uprights and aircraft cable tension line with turn buckles
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Grow some hops
Build a sun shade that obstructs the view horizontally
Put a smoker in right under the tree fort so they cant stay up there very long. Smoke some hatch chilis

The nuclear option is to go find some old nasty homeless lady. Give her 100 bucks to sunbath nude in your backyard make sure its gonna be so nasty the neighbor will never get that image out of his head.

Eta
You could also drill the tree roots that come into your yard and pour some tordon in the hole. A dead tree is a hazard. Have to take it down cause the tree isnt safe
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Sounds more like they are just living their best life paying no attention to the OP.

View Quote

Yeah I could be a shrieking Karen.

Or I could be a dad who doesn't want his girls to be watched in the backyard.

Thanks for your contributions here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Halloween is coming right up, I think you should decorate.  But only in your backyard, right next to the treehouse.

https://images.halloweencostumes.com/products/84521/1-41/25-foot-inflatable-marshmallow-man-decoration.jpg
View Quote

This is the way
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Take some pictures and head down to the local newspaper. They love shit like this when a politician is involved.
View Quote

Yep, draw media spotlight on him. Ruin his political career.  Peep'n tom.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you're Presidential material, 3 year old triplets might be right in your strike zone.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lol

I'm tempted to build our own and move the kids out there permanently.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Bro is just jelly he can't afford to build his family a tree house.

Lol

I'm tempted to build our own and move the kids out there permanently.

Show him who’s boss

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag

I am dealing with the exact same situation as the op

Looking for ideas that will offer a decent looking visual break

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Erect some of those triangular sunshades arranged to create a visual barrier?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Guy wires...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If I want to have 4x4 posts about 12 feet above ground to hold a sunshade capable of withstanding Kansas wind from the north, wonder how deep I'll need to sink those in the ground?

If you are going that high, I would get some drill pipe instead.  Will be stronger and last longer.

Guy wires...

Good option if you have the room and don't mind more stuff to mow around....if you can get a couple sticks of drill pipe you don't have to mess with them though.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, but who's watching them?  

Is it the neighbor's kids?  How old are they?  

Kids are observant and curious.

You've already admitted the "perv" angle is not a good one and that his family has been kind to yours.

Do you take your kids out in public?  Do you cover them in a burka so no one can see them?

The more you post, the more I think YOU are just as much of an issue as your neighbor.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mount a camera that records video and sound of neighbors action. Post on facebook when he runs for re-election.
View Quote
I like this idea of the best.

But seriously, if he sees obvious cameras pointing at his treehouse, that will probably solve the problem.

Otherwise, some sort of canopy that you can put up and take down as privacy is required so that you don't break any neighborhood ordinances.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Build a pole shed between the fence and pool.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They are generally pleasant, but do all manner of either clueless, or purposefully aggressive things like this all the time.

Absolutely zero consideration for how their behavior impacts others and want others to adjust their behavior to the benefit of themselves.

So, like most people in society now.
View Quote

I feel your pain. My neighbor erected an 8 foot kiddie tree house/swing set/jungle gym a week after I bought my house. I'm pretty sure they conspired with the sellers of our house about waiting until the place was sold before they put up, what we referred to as, "the monstrosity." No, we would not have bought the place if that was there when we looked at the house. It would have been a deal breaker for us. Yes, it towered over our fence, as did their fig tree and all their back yard lights, which we called "the sun." They were the nicest people, yet they were absolutely clueless as to how their living situation affected anyone else. I finally had a talk with them when they installed a motion senser security light that blinded me when I was at my kitchen sink. Of course they were shocked that any of what they were doing bothered us and they made efforts to make life easier for us, but guess what? At the end of the day, people are going to do what they want to make their kids happy.

Their kids liked that monstrosity and you can't call the cops on kids staring into your window, screaming for no apparent reason, chucking figs over the fence or wanting to play outside in the sun after dark. So I dealt with it. People don't have a whole lot of sympathy for you when you're complaining about your neighbor's kids having fun, even if it's at your expense. Put the shoe on the other foot and ask yourself how happy your neighbors are, listening to three toddlers screeching in their kiddie pool? Yeah, sounds bitchy, doesn't it? That's how you're going to come across telling a guy he can't build a treehouse for his kids.

The good news is, they'll eventually get bored with it and move onto some other new annoying thing.

Do what you can to mitigate their intrusion and DO make a fuss if you see the dad up there. That's creepy on a way different level than kids being up there.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:35:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Build a nice pergola .

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If there is a limit to the fence height, there likely is a limit on building a structure like that.

Or...

Get pictures/video of them on the platform. Contact local media. You have a concern of privacy, your neighbor just happens to be the mayor...
View Quote

Yes, this exactly. No way that would be allowed in a place that limits fences to 6'
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ok, but who's watching them?  

Is it the neighbor's kids?  How old are they?  

Kids are observant and curious.

You've already admitted the "perv" angle is not a good one and that his family has been kind to yours.

Do you take your kids out in public?  Do you cover them in a burka so no one can see them?

The more you post, the more I think YOU are just as much of an issue as your neighbor.
View Quote

Hi neighbor.  I always thought you lurked here.
Can you take down your spy nest?  Or maybe just build a little wall on the side that directly overlooks my yard?
Oh yeah, heres a reminder that you can pay me, as you agreed, for part of the privacy fence I built just for you on your property.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Minor update:

Wife called city zoning guy.

He said
"yeah, really it shouldn't just be a bunch of lumber, it really needs to be one of those kits you buy.
I haven't been by to review that one. It should be 6 feet away from property line and 2.5 stories or shorter.
Where do you live?"

*wife gives address*

"Er, uhh, yeah, well actually it's pretty rural out there so, yeah"

So, I fully expect him to come by and tell me that there's nothing out of line and my gazebo is too close to the property line or something.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Above ground pool? Move the pool farther back, then it'll be easier to shield.

In ground that close to fence? I'd build some wheel mounted rolling screens out of wood siding. Maybe 8' wide and 6' tall. 3-4 oughta do it. Roll 'em right up to pool edge on platform side of pool. Need a drone to get over that.

Edit:

Temporary is the name of the game. How 'bout a sail?

Shade Sail

Mount one side on the fence, stretch over pool.
View Quote

You have to get the ones that has the steel cable reinforced tie outs.  Those fabric connections will last a year, at best.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Use Roundup on those pesky branches overhanging your pool
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Trees and shade sails sound like the best options.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone is here pro freedom until someone else does shit on their own property lmao
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Yep, moving into the location you knew you didn't have much privacy. Kinda moot point to expect it now. Just go buy a home on acreage and you won't have to worry about such problems. Subdivisions have always sucked,will continue to suck..
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:11:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My solution

Own 55 acres, build house in middle of 55 acres surrounded by 30-40' pine trees.

You need a satellite, drone or aircraft to see my back yard.

Same will my swimming area.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20856/IMG-0840-149091.jpg

View Quote

Nice and peaceful! That's what I'm talking bout
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:49:09 PM EDT
[#35]
GD: Kids these days are pussies. Back in my day, we had awesome treehouses and shit.

Also GD: *Gasp* A treehouse? You should call the government on him!
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
GD: Kids these days are pussies. Back in my day, we had awesome treehouses and shit.

Also GD: *Gasp* A treehouse? You should call the government on him!
View Quote

In OP's defense, it DOES look much more like an "observation deck" than any tree house we ever built.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

In OP's defense, it DOES look much more like an "observation deck" than any tree house we ever built.
View Quote

I’ve built some pretty shitty treehouses in my day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Minor update:

Wife called city zoning guy.

He said
"yeah, really it shouldn't just be a bunch of lumber, it really needs to be one of those kits you buy.
I haven't been by to review that one. It should be 6 feet away from property line and 2.5 stories or shorter.
Where do you live?"

*wife gives address*

So, I fully expect him to come by and tell me that there's nothing out of line and my gazebo is too close to the property line or something.
View Quote

Congrats on "the man" being in your life until you move.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#39]
huge update

He was out there working on it, so I pulled on my big boy pants, and told him:
-it really looks to me that he is wanting to look in our yard at our little girls swimming in the pool
-would you consider build a solid railing to add some privacy?
-ill be building a structure of some sort to block his view, and it's because of his fort
-you can clearly do whatever you want on your property, I'm not trying to tell you what to do.  

He said:
Whoops, I didn't even think of how the optics of it would appear
It's not nefarious
I won't be up here, just my kids
Maybe I'll build a solid barrier along the rails

I'll still be building a structure of some sort and planting trees.  
You all gave me great ideas, thank you!

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Congrats on "the man" being in your life until you move.
View Quote

The man has already been in my life.
I permitted every portion of my fence, they already don't like where my gazebo is, blah blah.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
huge update

He was out there working on it, so I pulled on my big boy pants, and told him:
-it really looks to me that he is wanting to look in our yard at our little girls swimming in the pool
-would you consider build a solid railing to add some privacy?
-ill be building a structure of some sort to block his view, and it's because of his fort
-you can clearly do whatever you want on your property, I'm not trying to tell you what to do.  

He said:
Whoops, I didn't even think of how the optics of it would appear
It's not nefarious
I won't be up here, just my kids
Maybe I'll build a solid barrier along the rails

I'll still be building a structure of some sort and planting trees.  
You all gave me great ideas, thank you!

View Quote

Did you offer to help him build it? Good neighbors and all.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Just go swimming in a Speedo.

They’ll never use the treehouse again.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Have a group of gay guys to have an orgy in your pool when you're out of town.

He'll see that and never look over the fence again.
View Quote

Or maybe that is right up his alley?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's what I'd probably do:  set up a hidden camera, and FFS don't let him know about it, make sure it gets audio, behave normally, and capture his/his boys' pervert asses on film...don't blackmail him with it...that could get you in trouble...simply release it and let the chips fall where they may ;)
View Quote

Coffee2code!  I thought you were a fucking genius!  Now, I am sure.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Did you offer to help him build it? Good neighbors and all.
View Quote

No I did not.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#46]
How old are his kids? If they're old enough they'll get bored with it soon enough and it'll just be an eyesore.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

*wife gives address*

View Quote

So yeah, I'm not entertaining complaints against that address.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Let them build it.
Get video of mayor gawking at minors. Contact local news with footage.
Get paid.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Do you know how to operate a bulldozer?
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#50]
It will be expensive but you can get Thuja Green Giant Arborvitae that grow 2-3' a year.   They come in ANY size up to 12'
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top