Quoted:
Ha. Still no disagreement. It’s a joke.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They will be along any minute they are still waiting for their AOL to connect.

“You’ve got mail”
Our first real disagreement in this thread...…..they will not be along at all......because no one really disagrees would be my guess.
Ha. Still no disagreement. It’s a joke.
Apparently you have never been to a "Q" thread.

Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Which brings up another point to be made about data privacy....A 2a point.

Routinely you see discussions about gun registration and how that leads to confiscation. No lists has always been our stance as a group, for the most part. No lists of owners. No lists of transactions. No giant list of guns, well except those scary NFA items. Which very much would make confiscation harder.

Now that we have discussed ancient history let’s talk modern world. We live in a world where companies collect and store data on everything from bearing temps to occupancy levels to how often you log into your email, FOREVER.  Now with that data comes all kinds of metadata. Time place reliability origin path etc.

The government of the US has been actively collecting and archiving yours mine and everyone else’s metadata for quite a while now. Think NDAA. Now using that data it wouldn’t be hard to put some analytics together and then use some additional machine learning to polish your list. And we have “how you say? A bingo”.

This list would be more accurate than a list produced from any record keeping system that the Democrats could dream up.

Every time some one here makes a reference to the “hive” or GD mindset or the “average” ARFCOMER I think about this very thing. It’s not just us it could also be used to produce a list of just about anything given enough time and data.

EDIT TO ADD:  “But, it’s ok we promise to only use it on the “bad” guys.”
View Quote
And that's pretty much where I'm at.

Kudos to Bama for getting a dirtbag off the streets. I'm all for making sure that law enforcement have the tools necessary to do their job and do it safely.

But what happens when those tools get turned on us gun owners because some hostile Admin or state gov decides we are a danger to society?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You know it when you see it.

Run the plate and the plate did not match the vehicle.
View Quote
And there is the legal reason for the stop.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:33:38 AM EDT
[#4]
The steady march toward our dystopian future. Technology.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’m not sure how I feel about this statement.... on a couple of levels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm told it scan pictures from the internet.

So we took a picture of one of our officers who made the news. It found his picture.
from what i can tell it's basically a glorified google image search app.
It means LE found tineye a decade late.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And that's pretty much where I'm at.

Kudos to Bama for getting a dirtbag off the streets. I'm all for making sure that law enforcement have the tools necessary to do their job and do it safely.

But what happens when those tools get turned on us gun owners because some hostile Admin or state gov decides we are a danger to society?
View Quote
While it maybe a handy tool, this app is hardly a game changer. Hell you can check into your flight with your face now. The power of this stuff comes when you remove Bama from the equation entirely until you need an arrest and then you lead him right to the person with RTM. How are we going to arrest everyone who needs arresting if we have to wait for Bama to grab a pic with his phone.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

your dealing with departments here that won't generally even provide basic equipment and run cars with 300k miles on them. your not getting those purchased  lol
View Quote
So dump the cost of the hardware on the cop and the department pays a license fee for the app.

Not quite right but I get it. Do the cops using the app get to claim cell phone and data plan as a work expense on taxes?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So we took a picture of one of our officers who made the news. It found his picture.
View Quote
Now that's a bit 1984ish. I can understand mugshots but a full internet search to match a pic sounds funky to me.

What happens when some shithead starts using it to pull facebook and/or Instagram profiles from the hot chicks he pulls over?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

from what i can tell it's basically a glorified google image search app.
Well... like tineye but....apparently looks through beards and is considered by LE reliable enough to be used as a method of reasonable identification to lock someone up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Some people never watched the documentary Minority Report
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Some people never watched the documentary Minority Report
View Quote
I'm not sure that you did either. How does arresting someone with no evidence because they might commit a crime equate with someone using a glorified tinyeye app to determine someone's real identity?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No we do not. But I can impound the vehicle and he would have provide legit ID to get it back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take pics, gather as much info as possible, issue cites in name given, release.

Seek warrants later when it is all figured out.

ETA: Impound your ride, etc...since you don't have a DL
Police in your state don't have authority to arrest for driving without a license?
No we do not. But I can impound the vehicle and he would have provide legit ID to get it back.
What about traveling without a license?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If I tell you I'm "Rando McRando" and my birthday is obviously 20 years too young for me, what do you do?

Obviously you try to get the real info, but if I insist I'm Mr. McRando and you can't find me in your computer, what do you do?  Would you eventually release me if I hadn't otherwise committed an arrestable offense?
View Quote
License,  registration, and proof of insurance. I'll wait while you look for the registration and insurance.  If I get to the point of an arrestable offense, hook and book. The jail willl fingerprint and get a positive ID. Then I'll be called back to tack on a charge of criminal impersonation.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Fuck that noise.  You want my picture, you either get a warrant or arrest me?  Had some asshole Lake County Narcs harassing some friends and I after they pulled us over a long time ago.  Tried saying we were in a gang, because some of our shoes were black.  What the fuck were these dickhead cops smoking?  They didn't like it when it was pointed out that some of their shoes were black.  They started taking pictures of everyone.  When it came time for my picture I told them no.  Told them either get a warrant, or arrest me.  They gave me a lot of shit, but I told them to fuck off.  They weren't getting my picture for free.  Black shoes being in a gang.  Get the fuck out of here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fuck that noise.  You want my picture, you either get a warrant or arrest me?  Had some asshole Lake County Narcs harassing some friends and I after they pulled us over a long time ago.  Tried saying we were in a gang, because some of our shoes were black.  What the fuck were these dickhead cops smoking?  They didn't like it when it was pointed out that some of their shoes were black.  They started taking pictures of everyone.  When it came time for my picture I told them no.  Told them either get a warrant, or arrest me.  They gave me a lot of shit, but I told them to fuck off.  They weren't getting my picture for free.  Black shoes being in a gang.  Get the fuck out of here.
View Quote

Sure
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sure
View Quote
Believe me or not?  I couldn't care less.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
That’s bold talk for a man that lives in a realID compliant state.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sure
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure
Some of the make believe bullshit people post in GD is incredible.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That’s bold talk for a man that lives in a realID compliant state.
View Quote
Yes because we have always had real IDs.  I don't know how some of you guys function in real life?  It amazes me sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If a cop is pulling over hot chicks, he is already IDing them when he obtains their DL number.
View Quote
Not everyone uses their real name on FB and Instagram.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

No, it's a tool. It basically said here is a picture of someone from the internet that looks like your person.

I then looked at the pic, yep that's him. I then used the information from where the picture came from to positively ID him in the state DL/ID data base.

Thus confirming his real name and DOB.
View Quote
So you are using your judgement to make the ID?

After an internet search with an app?

So no actual analytics being performed?

I hope this was a free download.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A person has to have a valid DL to drive a vehicle on the roadway in AL.

No DL, no driving and I can impound the vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take pics, gather as much info as possible, issue cites in name given, release.

Seek warrants later when it is all figured out.

ETA: Impound your ride, etc...since you don't have a DL
Police in your state don't have authority to arrest for driving without a license?
What about traveling without a license?
A person has to have a valid DL to drive a vehicle on the roadway in AL.

No DL, no driving and I can impound the vehicle.
But I’m asking about traveling?!??
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
With more and more law enforcement wearing body cameras, seems this will become automatic.
View Quote
Not automatic,  it will be an added service that will have additional equipment requirement.  Many agencies just can't afford a basic camera setup at $2500 per officer and car.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Perfectly fine with the bold. I have zero interest in China-like surveillance of citizens in the US. Nobody needs to know who I am, who I'm with, where I'm going, etc., when I'm about my daily business and not breaking laws. Anonymity is gauche in the information age, but I'm good with people keeping as much as they can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good pro active LE.  Dumbasses in San Francisco just passed a policy on prohibiting technology involving facial recognition.

Be safe.
Perfectly fine with the bold. I have zero interest in China-like surveillance of citizens in the US. Nobody needs to know who I am, who I'm with, where I'm going, etc., when I'm about my daily business and not breaking laws. Anonymity is gauche in the information age, but I'm good with people keeping as much as they can.
I agree completely.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes.

Yes, it is free.
View Quote
Barely moved my Orwellian meter.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Beards.....
View Quote
Doesn’t fool facial recognition. The key metric it looks at is spacing between the eyes IIRC. Maybe giant wrap around sunglasses.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes.

Yes, it is free.
View Quote
All considered, seems like a decent app to have available. The price sure is right!
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I agree completely.
View Quote
They won’t be taking a vote.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
That clears things up a bit for me, here I was thinking it connected to a state or federal database of mugshots,
DL photos, etc, although it's only a matter of time before LE will have that ability.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

If a cop is pulling over hot chicks, he is already IDing them when he obtains their DL number.
View Quote
True. But if something like this pulls from social media there's the potential for that one random shithead to be standing next to her car looking at her Instagram bikini pics rather than having to go home and look for them himself at 2 a.m. when his wife's asleep.

If it doesn't break a NDA to answer, does your PD already have an sop in place on what happens if this gets misused? Or was that part of the agreement with the app company, like if the app is found to be misused the PD loses access or has to pay a fine?

I'm all about technology, but technology usually gets misused before someone thinks ahead to put rules in place.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Doesn’t fool facial recognition. The key metric it looks at is spacing between the eyes IIRC. Maybe giant wrap around sunglasses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beards.....
Actually the best method for currently confusing facial recognition analytics is white and black face paint. Think KISS and ICP. Really jacks it up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It's Facebook isn't it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what's the app?
LE only.
It's Facebook isn't it.
Well played.

Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:30:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I sure feel safer
View Quote
Yeah, I wonder how any law enforcement was done at all before LEOs had all the tools of a surveillance state.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Actually the best method for currently confusing facial recognition analytics is white and black face paint. Think KISS and ICP. Really jacks it up.
View Quote
Computer Vision (CV) Dazzle.

ETA: More information...

Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yes.

Yes, it is free.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's a tool. It basically said here is a picture of someone from the internet that looks like your person.

I then looked at the pic, yep that's him. I then used the information from where the picture came from to positively ID him in the state DL/ID data base.

Thus confirming his real name and DOB.
So you are using your judgement to make the ID?

After an internet search with an app?

So no actual analytics being performed?

I hope this was a free download.
Yes.

Yes, it is free.
Except it’s not. The company is getting compensated in someway just like Facebook and Twitter. So now I wonder who they sell the data you collect for them to and how that will eventually turn into a civil suit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:37:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beards.....
Yeah but that kind of kills being “the gray man”.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Good snag
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm not sure that you did either. How does arresting someone with no evidence because they might commit a crime equate with someone using a glorified tinyeye app to determine someone's real identity?
View Quote
You don't see any parallels to the retina/facial ID advertisement tech in Minority Report to the escalading using of facial ID tech in LE, tech, and retail?

Do you really think it's a leap once they lock down your facial ID or retina details to then store them, and have random "readers" set up across public areas?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top