BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll pass thank you.

Looks like you're enjoying it, have fun.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#2]
When we trained for the Local Fire Company's dive team, it would go like this...

Lost ice diver rescue.
Say the line breaks and a diver becomes untethered.

If you are the lost diver, you swim to the surface touching the ice.
You take your dive knife and "drill" into the ice.
To hold yourself in one position.
Adjust your buoyancy. AND STAY THERE.

The line tender on top of the ice, always pays attention to the angle of the line.
For instance, "diver is proceeding between the blue boathouse, and orange kayak next to spruce tree".
The line worker also takes note of the distance. The tether line has numbered markers every 10 feet.

So "diver was disconnected 70+ feet out. Between stand up jet-ski on trailer, and Tiki Bar".

Now the rescue divers go out. I had that duty.
Two divers on the same line, go out twice the "lost distance".
45 degrees to the "lost location".

And they swim right at ice level, keeping the line taunt.
They swim the radius. and if the lost diver stayed put, and didn't FREAK OUT...
The line should intercept the lost diver.

To quote Mr. Pink from the meme above: Fuck all that !
Because.
That lost diver went out to RECOVER a fisherman or snowmobiler .
WHO SHOULD HAVE STAYED OFF UNSAFE ICE.

You have multiple people on the surface, and multiple people at depth.
All have families. ..

To satisfy a family of an idiot, or child of an idiot.

The post by you OP, are always interesting.
I think diving is a great sport.

Ice diving... not so much.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope nope nope!

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool pic op.
Definitely a nope for me. We don’t have ice down here, but I did bust through some floating marsh once.
Not sure that’s something you’d want to dive under though. Lol
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#5]
A couple more photos from yesterday.

We were all helped into our gear. I was giving the guys a quick course in how to attach sidemount tanks. Or in the case of the guy on MY right; how I attach mine. He dives sidemount but doesn’t use tank bungees.

In the hole just before going down.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ice diving class this weekend.  Two dives today. We finish up tomorrow. 38 degree water. About 45-50 air temp. The chainsaw was too heavy for me, so I used the ice saw. There was a steep slope of snow covered rocks to get to the ice. I went down on my butt. We slid all tanks down. I had to park a ways away and the walk about trashed my knees. There were a number of young strong guys who offered to haul my gear. I’m very glad they did.

We’re at Devils Lake State Park near Baraboo, WI. So there were a lot of people out and about taking in the gorgeous day. A number of people came over to watch from a distance, but we told them they were allowed to come closer. Lot of people ice fishing, too. The game warden came over and had a nice chat with us. One guy said I was crazy for ice diving. I then told me I cave dive, too. He said that was even worse.

Yes, I know. I committed the cardinal sin of mask on forehead. Do I give a flying fig? Nope! :D

We were tethered to a line held by a surface tender. There were a few guys from the Dane and Racine County sheriff’s dept dive teams in the class.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/279183/D644FB30-25BE-4F3A-B228-0BC40D333669-1844282.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/279183/91DC2A66-6501-4201-BD86-C63CCA322F0D-1844285.jpg
View Quote

What’s the purpose of the triangular hole? Better grip/leverage to get in and out vice a circular hole?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:11:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool! Literally!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#8]
That's a bold move, Cotten.

Brrrrr.....
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What’s the purpose of the triangular hole? Better grip/leverage to get in and out vice a circular hole?
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  What’s the purpose of the triangular hole? Better grip/leverage to get in and out vice a circular hole?
View Quote

She's an Illuminati diver.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Awesome stuff as always, Marie! I love your threads.

I’d never in a million years do that, but it’s still awesome.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Always interesting posts and pics from the self proclaimed "Great Lakes Mermaid" phrase below your forum name.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Showed LAWBunny this thread.  She's the type who won't get into the pool unless the water is 95F or better.  

She said "I like this Marie chick, but she's nuts "
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Why does your mask flood if you go upside-down?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Marie, you should come up to the Straits and dive the William H Barnum.

I have around $150.00 worth of Shiver Minnows hung up on that wreck in 80 FOW.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Marie, you should come up to the Straits and dive the William H Barnum.

I have around $150.00 worth of Shiver Minnows hung up on that wreck in 80 FOW.
View Quote

I think I might have done the Barnum when I was in the Straits two years ago. I’m not retrieving any fishing lures!
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Showed LAWBunny this thread.  She's the type who won't get into the pool unless the water is 95F or better.  

She said "I like this Marie chick, but she's nuts "
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Just got home from Cheeseland. Hauling gear in and then I’ll download the bit of video I got on today’s dive.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Weather today was total opposite of yesterday. Very foggy, gray, misty rain, mid 30s air temp.

The blocks of ice were pushed in the hole yesterday and the hole marked with wooden stakes and fencing. Today, we had to pull the blocks of ice out of the hole and clean up the edge with a chainsaw a bit.

We just had to do one dive today. Mine was about 10 minutes. Buddy was getting cold and instructor was having issues with his regulator.

Buddy (not me)

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:54:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Nope.

Pass.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Hoping to get some photos or video of me underwater. Waiting for person with the GoPro to get it to me.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I can think of warmer ways to spend the day, but not many that are cooler than that....Marie, you are more brave than most. Always enjoy your threads. Glad you had a fun and safe time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Dupe
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:58:04 PM EDT
[#25]
yeah..... no.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:05:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Great job Marie!  

(Crazy as it is!)
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I always like Marie threads. They contain a lot of “Nope”, but they’re still interesting!
View Quote

Marie threads are awesome.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:43:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The fact that you are totally insane is one of my favorite things about you!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only Dive in bath water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzCjQwt2rgI

You and @DK-Prof

The fact that you are totally insane is one of my favorite things about you!  

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:45:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Practically in my back yard...glad you had a good time...water should have been nice and clear...
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#31]
OMG yeeees

I miss diving
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Do you ever get warm?
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Very cool
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:56:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do you ever get warm?
View Quote

Oh yes!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:15:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  Oh yes!
View Quote

Tell us about your heated vest - what happens if your dry suit springs a leak and water encounters your battery?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#36]
That's awesome!

I'd like to ice dive someday. Just once or twice to try it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 12:21:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Tell us about your heated vest - what happens if your dry suit springs a leak and water encounters your battery?
View Quote

Thermolution Yellow Grade vest. Can be used under a WETsuit as well as drysuits. So I don’t have to worry about a suit leak.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I would be horrible at ce diving on a lake with ice fishermen on it.

I would stick my hand up every hole I got close to.

I would look for vexilar transducers and give the fishermen a hell of a show.

Imagine the look on their face as you approach their bait.

Then grab the line and yank it so hard they lose the pole in the water.

Then swim it up through the hole.

Or tip ups.  OMG, putting shit on a tip up just to mess with them.  Blow up dolls, bottles of booze, full beer cans of Hamms.

I could go on and on...
View Quote

When the fisherman sinks the hook into your hand...ask me how I know...

Go upside down and when they pull you back to the hole you can ski upside down on the bottom of the ice
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I am soooo sore today.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#40]
No thanks, that's crazy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No thanks, that's crazy.
View Quote

Are you repudiating your user name?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#42]
That's awesome! I've done some bouldering and rock climbing in that area--absolutely gorgeous!
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That's awesome! I've done some bouldering and rock climbing in that area--absolutely gorgeous!
View Quote

I don’t know if you saw the post, but another member was ice fishing on Saturday and saw my group ice diving.

I dived there in the summer. It’s fabulous just diving along the rock fall in the water and peaking in the cracks, looking at the fish, etc.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#44]
That is very cool OP.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#45]
This is the heated vest I use, for those who were asking.

Thermolution Yello Grade heated vest

Many technical divers use a vest run off an external canister battery (also powering a corded light), but those can lights are more expensive than even just this vest. And the batteries are heavy.

This is an easier solution. These vests can be used with wetsuits as well as drysuits. No worrying about drysuit leaks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 10:57:48 AM EDT
[#46]
I did that years ago (not there)  didn't enjoy it enough to ever do it again. Especially the walk back to the RV.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I did that years ago (not there)  didn't enjoy it enough to ever do it again. Especially the walk back to the RV.
View Quote

What was bad with the walk back to the RV? Did you dive wet?
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Marie,
 How many knives do you carry when diving?

Years ago, I was helping out at a youth outdoor field day: hunting, fishing, shooting, trapping, etc

Anyway, was talking to some of the other instructors afterwards, and noticed the guy who was teaching outdoor survival was wearing a number of knives.

When I asked him about it, he showed me a couple more!

I asked why so many, and he told me he used to be a rescue/ recovery diver 20 years ago.

He was diving in a muddy creek off the Mississippi, and got hung up on something. Pulled and felt something sharp dig into his back/ shoulder. Couldn't reach it, so tried to turn around. Turned some more and felt something dig into him in his other side.

Started to panic, then realized it was a catfish trotline, heavy tarred line. Tried to cut his way out and dropped his knife. Tried pulling some slack but was tangled in some trees. Changed directions and got enough slack to get shallow enough to get his head out of the water, and tender came over and cut him loose.

Said ever since, he has carried a LOT of knives!

Again, really enjoy your dive threads.
I spend a LOT of time on the water, used to be my job.
But try NOT to spend any time IN the water, LOL.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Marie,
 How many knives do you carry when diving?

Years ago, I was helping out at a youth outdoor field day: hunting, fishing, shooting, trapping, etc

Anyway, was talking to some of the other instructors afterwards, and noticed the guy who was teaching outdoor survival was wearing a number of knives.

When I asked him about it, he showed me a couple more!

I asked why so many, and he told me he used to be a rescue/ recovery diver 20 years ago.

He was diving in a muddy creek off the Mississippi, and got hung up on something. Pulled and felt something sharp dig into his back/ shoulder. Couldn't reach it, so tried to turn around. Turned some more and felt something dig into him in his other side.

Started to panic, then realized it was a catfish trotline, heavy tarred line. Tried to cut his way out and dropped his knife. Tried pulling some slack but was tangled in some trees. Changed directions and got enough slack to get shallow enough to get his head out of the water, and tender came over and cut him loose.

Said ever since, he has carried a LOT of knives!

Again, really enjoy your dive threads.
I spend a LOT of time on the water, used to be my job.
But try NOT to spend any time IN the water, LOL.
View Quote

I carry a small line cutter on each of my dive computer straps. So a line cutter on each arm. When I’m on the Great Lakes (so maybe fishing line), I carry a pair of paramedic shears on my right side. They will cut steel fishing line leader. Only stuff that does. Many people don’t both with the BFKs you’d see in Seat Hunt and stuff.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#50]
hard no for me, i went ice diving as a kid but falling through probably doesnt count. thankfully it was only waist high, cold ass dirt bike ride home
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top