Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or any European car for that matter. Nanoslide cylinder bore coating is applied directly to the aluminum block sans steel liners, on a dirt bike yes, a 60-80K car nope!
View Quote
This has been done for at least 20 years with no issue.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Woo hoo!
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To put things in perspective for our knuckle dragger members this would be like Chevy putting a turbocharged 350 into a production car that makes 1185hp.

Now tell me this isn't a major achievement.
Now you have my attention.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/291460649980-0-1/s-l1000.jpg
Nice.

What are you putting that in?
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
To put things in perspective for our knuckle dragger members this would be like Chevy putting a turbocharged 350 into a production car that makes 1185hp.

View Quote
No HP/L is an ultimately useless metric because all engines with the same displacement don't have the same weight. 4L BMW dohc v8s more often than not weigh more than 7.0L pushrod V8s with more power. If your lower displacement engine weighs more than a higher displacement engine to make the same power and adds a whole bunch of complicated engineering to achieve this, then all you have done is created a worthless engineering exercise.

Again, engine weight/engine power is what really matters, along with reliability and efficiency.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
diesels making the equivalent torque/liter at 6.6 liters would be making about 1200 ft-lbs...trucks are rolling off the line making 1k and have been for several years. Next mid cycle will put them there...they are already built to do it.   It's up there but not really all that impressive.  500ish horse in a car isn't new..they are just doing it with a smaller engine.  engines make torque, torque at higher rpms makes Hp, design them to put up with whatever cylinder pressure you need to hit your goal.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A Lotus 7 replica needs that motor
View Quote
I was thinking Ariel Atom.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No HP/L is an ultimately useless metric because all engines with the same displacement don't have the same weight. 4L BMW dohc v8s more often than not weigh more than 7.0L pushrod V8s with more power. If your lower displacement engine weighs more than a higher displacement engine to make the same power and adds a whole bunch of complicated engineering to achieve this, then all you have done is created a worthless engineering exercise.

Again, engine weight/engine power is what really matters, along with reliability and efficiency.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those engines dont even have VVT to combat having smooth idles while achieving high rpm HP.

Look I love chevy engines in fact my next ride will be a C6Z heads/cam but the pushrod engine is dead.

The power they can squeeze out of newer engines while keeping them smooth with manners and good gas mileage is amazing.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]
The good news is that although it's direct injection, at higher power levels it gets some of its fuel from port injectors.
So, if you put your foot in it occasionally and run top tier gasoline, the soot gets cleaned off the intake valves.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#10]
It’s not a real AMG unless it has 8 cylinders...

TC
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool, but not for me...
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Nobody needs a car that goes faster than 70 mph!
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's German. It has to be complicated by default.  
View Quote
I've read someone's technical appraisal of a Tiger tank that concluded the Germans lost WWII due to needlessly overcomplicating their designs, using the Tiger's engine as an example.  Roller bearings on the crankshaft in an essentially disposable combat vehicle?

Mercedes' new engine probably just took the Deutsche National overcomplication award away from its current holder.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bingo.  Throw that motor in a 2500 lb hatchback and it would get my attention.   Better yet would be a small mid engine sports car like a Lotus or something like the old MR2 or  early Acura NSX.
Looks like it's destined for a big 4 door sedan though.
View Quote
Factory 5 Type 65 Daytona kit car with the Merc engine or even a modded 2.3 Ecoboost would be interesting.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Motorcycle motors make that  hp naturally aspirated
View Quote
yeah, at 15k RPM.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How’s the lag?  

I’ll stick with my LS3.
View Quote
LOL

Yes. That turbo lag is the one sticking point keeping you out of a new MB turbo 4.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I want to put a 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang, drive train, and suspension in a 240Z
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Think it will fit in my FR-S?

Link Posted: 10/5/2019 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Really ain't shit IMO.  I mean if they mass produce it sure, I suppose.  But completely do-able with a JDM EJ207 boxer motor (Subaru) with a good turbo, equal length headers, larger injectors and maybe some e85, etc.  And rev to 8500 or 9000 rpm.  And be dead nuts reliable all day.

ETA: EJ207 means it's a 2.0.....

Also when putting that in an AWD WRX/STI platform or especially a GC8 (think 22b) platform, it scoots.  3100 lbs or so, 8500 rpm, boost builds pretty early.  I applaud AMG for always pushing the envelope with their motors, but Subaru has been there for a while with the 207.  And 207's don't have hardly any of the major documented issues the USDM EJ257 does.  I also think suby's newer FA20 (newest gen WRX 2.0 motor) has a lot of potential once these cars become a little cheaper to tinker with.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 5:08:03 PM EDT
[#20]
jUsT Ls SwAp iT

Not everyone wants to ride around in a clapped out s10, with a junkyard ls, iffy cam bearings(if you dont look at them, they wont be bad) some new springs (maybe a boost rated cam if your welfare check came in) with some Nagasaki noisy boys and straight piped exhaust screaming so loud you cant hear your pregnant ol lady screaming her water just broke as she takes a long draw off her Marlboro red.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Really ain't shit IMO.  I mean if they mass produce it sure, I suppose.  But completely do-able with a JDM EJ207 boxer motor (Subaru) with a good turbo, equal length headers, larger injectors and maybe some e85, etc.  And rev to 8500 or 9000 rpm.  And be dead nuts reliable all day.

Also when putting that in an AWD WRX/STI platform or especially a GC8 (think 22b) platform, it scoots.  3100 lbs or so, 8500 rpm, boost builds pretty early.  I applaud AMG for always pushing the envelope with their motors, but Subaru has been there for a while with the 207.  And 207's don't have hardly any of the major documented issues the USDM EJ257 does.  I also think suby's newer FA20 (newest gen WRX 2.0 motor) has a lot of potential once these cars become a little cheaper to tinker with.
View Quote
I would do unspeakable things for a clean GC8 with a EJ207 swap (and other WRX/STi parts) that revs past 8k.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Gives me a headache just looking at it.

View Quote
Well, to be fair, that's the entire engine/transaxle assembly...
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Your LS3 has less power under the curve then even this 4 banger. You'd have to get to near 4K RPMs before your LS3 puts out more torque.
View Quote
Yeah but you don't score chicks at the bowling alley on ladies night revving a four banger in the parking lot
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't care what you old turds think.

NOW is the new golden age of cars!
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Would that modded out rice a roni engine get near the economy, is it smooth and quiet, does it meet the most stringent emissions standards?

Yeah, let's see Fuji toy cars do that with a warranty.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Does it still sounds like a 4 banger?

Bzzzzzzt........Bzzzzzzztttt......Buuuuuuzzzzzzzt.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Very impressive and would be incredible in a sub 3k pound RWD.

I wonder how much, if any, of this is a result from their current dominance in Formula 1.
View Quote
Almost everything they do commercially is a result of their f1 teams experience. Same as every other manufacturer.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Lol arfcom typical with the mah ls in a jeep is super reliable and I'd only drive a Beemer with a v 10 diesel.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah but you don't score chicks at the bowling alley on ladies night revving a four banger in the parking lot
View Quote
Very few chicks have been scored by revving engines at the bowling alley.  Attracts a lot of guys, if you're into that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Mmmm...twin scroll turbo. Tasty
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Damn impressive - while it's under warranty.
View Quote
This

I don’t want to play with that after the warranty expires. They better make a ton of crate motors to replace these because I’d be shocked if any of these original motors makes it to 100k miles.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#32]

How about a 1500 hp 4 cylinder Formula 1 engine?
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Too bad it’s going in wrong wheel drive cars.
View Quote
AWD with rear drive drift mode
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDk9RzFw6s

How about a 1500 hp 4 cylinder Formula 1 engine?
View Quote
In 10 years, when telling the tale, it will be 1900hp.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#35]
That's nice - will they finally start building their suspensions again that feel better than my Hyundai?
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's ridiculous. Like adequately explained already, we rate engines by horsepower per cubic inch/liter. We rate vehicles by horsepower/pounds. So, if there is a huge, heavy engine in a car, its weight is naturally part of the car's weight so the extra engine weight drags down the horsepower to pounds ratio. The total car may not now be in the 'high performance' category but if the engine is high performance (1 horsepower for each cubic inch or approx. 61 HP/Liter), it remains high performance. Nothing about the engine rating changes because of its weight, only the rating for the total vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#37]
No shit, first thought was same.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Would that modded out rice a roni engine get near the economy, is it smooth and quiet, does it meet the most stringent emissions standards?

Yeah, let's see Fuji toy cars do that with a warranty.
View Quote
It could be pretty damn solid, yeah.

People are getting over 500HP/L out of built 207s with deck inserts. 416 reliable HP wouldn't be difficult at all, even with cats and mufflers. Would cost of course, it's just a little too much to do on the cheap.

This is a neat engine for a factory offering.
Link Posted: 10/5/2019 11:10:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'd be changing the oil & plugs like crazy in that.

Typical US consumers don't maintain their vehicles very well. On a high-tuned poodle engine that's a recipe for kabooms.
View Quote
Runs a full synthetic good for 10k
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 1:00:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Bingo.  Throw that motor in a 2500 lb hatchback and it would get my attention.   Better yet would be a small mid engine sports car like a Lotus or something like the old MR2 or  early Acura NSX.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That will never happen.
And that is what is sad.   It totally could happen.

But it wont.

A pocket rocket AMG would be impressive as hell.   But it will go into some 3600+ pound sedan with a 87 speed transmission and I still wont give a shit.
Eh.

Wiki has the A class in a weight range of 2,800-3,200 pounds.

They also have it as 0-60 in 3.9s and a top speed of 168 MPH. That's pretty damn fast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_A-Class_
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Eh.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--6Z5wako3--/c_fill,fl_progressive,g_center,h_900,q_80,w_1600/soutrmd1ggqvmqbqkjk7.jpg

Wiki has the A class in a weight range of 2,800-3,200 pounds.

They also have it as 0-60 in 3.9s and a top speed of 168 MPH. That's pretty damn fast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_A-Class_
View Quote
OK that's crazy, an MB hot hatch.

Obviously I see the appeal of the format, but people buy German for sex appeal, and that has none.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 1:21:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Dayam that’s impressive.  Moar power than a WW I aeroplane.
View Quote

My 1980 Celica had more power than most WW1 airplanes.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 1:45:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Motorcycle motors make that  hp naturally aspirated
View Quote
Hp is a function of torque based on rpm, your statement is not really all that relevant.

Making 400 hp out of 2 liters in a production car is a feat.

I was impressed when Volvo got 300 hp out of their twin charged, 2 liter 4 in the xc series.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 1:48:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Well, to be fair, that's the entire engine/transaxle assembly...
View Quote
AWD drive as well.

No more complicated than any other DOHC turbo 4.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 1:50:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does it still sounds like a 4 banger?

Bzzzzzzt........Bzzzzzzztttt......Buuuuuuzzzzzzzt.
View Quote
Agreed wife drives a 320hp Mustang that gets 30mpg+
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 2:10:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I bet I already know what pretty much every service procedure in the manual says:

Step 1-  Remove Engine

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol
Looks like a rocket motor
I bet I already know what pretty much every service procedure in the manual says:

Step 1-  Remove Engine

Tru dat
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:56:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

OK that's crazy, an MB hot hatch.

Obviously I see the appeal of the format, but people buy German for sex appeal, and that has none.
View Quote
Sure, in the US. It's not really the same in Europe. Image and panache are very different for some car companies over there. Sure, an E63 AMG is still badass, but you also have base model E classes being used as taxis. I don't even know if they sell the A class in the US, it might ruin their image.

Also, when I was in Germany (which was almost 20 years ago, damn) sedans were for boring old people and all the kids had hatches for the practicality necessary in their more active lifestyles.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Hp is a function of torque based on rpm, your statement is not really all that relevant.

Making 400 hp out of 2 liters in a production car is a feat.

I was impressed when Volvo got 300 hp out of their twin charged, 2 liter 4 in the xc series.
View Quote
I lucked into one if those Volvos for a rental, heaps of fun.   S60 all wheel drive
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#50]
That’s an incredible motor.

Lease the car, drive the snot out of it, trade it in.

Enjoy it new under warranty, then it’ll be someone else’s problem.

It’s an MB, after all.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top