[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
My EDC hat:

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's not a jacket you get at the store.  That's a motorcycle club.  Their center patch is a ribbon they've earned, according to their website.   That guy who rode past you is a hero.  He earned the NDSM.
View Quote

imagine the poor bastard riding around with an Army Service Ribbon center patch.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For all of you GD war heroes, what WOULD be an appropriate award to adorn across your motorcycle jacket?

Good Conduct would be hilarious.
View Quote

Combat Action Ribbon, maybe...
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t want to brag, or make you lesser guys feel bad, but I have two (2) National Defense Service Medals. Yeah, really. Two.

Pretty crazy, I know.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don’t want to brag, or make you lesser guys feel bad, but I have two (2) National Defense Service Medals. Yeah, really. Two.

Pretty crazy, I know.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My DMV does. I'm fine with saving $200 a year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nobody gives a shit about any awards one received except that person.

My DMV does. I'm fine with saving $200 a year.
I understand state/fed bennies.  I was referring to dudes wearing jackets and such advertising whatever award they received in the .mil.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What about one with a 2 device on it?  Can you get a 2 device?
View Quote

Ummm… I don’t think any service puts a numeral device on the NDSM. Gotta fuck with those little stars that turn every crooked damn time.

I’m sure there’s at least one dude on Arfcom with three NDSMs.

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What about one with a 2 device on it?  Can you get a 2 device?
View Quote

I got 4 Kuwait Liberation medals, (Kuwait). I basically liberated Kuwait 4 times.

I fucked that up pretty bad. I got 4 Southwest Asia Service Medals. I should have went and looked at the shit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
National Defense Service Medal, I think.

If that’s the case, it is no longer issued.
View Quote

No kidding. Guess that makes it special.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Was the first time better than the last?  It seems to have finally stuck the last time though.
View Quote

The first time is always best but they're all basically the same.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Marksman badge
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For all of you GD war heroes, what WOULD be an appropriate award to adorn across your motorcycle jacket?

Marksman badge

kinda, real military hardware qualification badge
" />
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Isn’t that the military’s version of a participation trophy
View Quote

Indeed. Desert Storm warriors earned my NDSM for me while I swilled beer in South Korea.  Yes, I put it on my Class A's.  No I don't display it on my wall today.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

kinda, real military hardware qualification badge
https://i.postimg.cc/3yDRtg6F/Attachmen.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.postimg.cc/3yDRtg6F/Attachmen.jpg
View Quote

I had that one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Plissken was like having an emo Clint Eastwood as a Company Commander.  “Always Pissed Plissken” we called him.  

Still, he was a tactically sound leader.  Kept wanting us to take the handguards off our rifles for some odd reason though.

For those who don’t recognize that ribbon, it’s a Cold War Service Ribbon.
View Quote

If I recall Congress shot it down and everyone was sent certificates or some kind of paper
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Indeed. Desert Storm warriors earned my NDSM for me while I swilled beer in South Korea.  Yes, I put it on my Class A's.  No I don't display it on my wall today.
View Quote

You earned it. Almost nobody in the military gets to go where they want to go. You served when it counted. A far better Marine than me ( a mentor) didn't get to go. it would hurt me pretty bad to know he didn't display what he earned.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That and the CAB combat action badge. If you didn't get a CIB combat infantry badge don't feel sad, here's a CAB.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#24]
When I was out-processing at retirement, the snot-nosed LCpl in admin was actually arguing with me that there was no such thing as an NDSM second award.

I wouldn't leave until he typed that thing on my DD whatever.  

It's my bling, dammit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You earned it. Almost nobody in the military gets to go where they want to go. You served when it counted. A far better Marine than me ( a mentor) didn't get to go. it would hurt me pretty bad to know he didn't display what he earned.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you, good point.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That and the CAB combat action badge. If you didn't get a CIB combat infantry badge don't feel sad, here's a CAB.
View Quote

I wasn't Army so clear me up on this, isn't the CAB for people who were in combat who weren't infantry, such as tankers?
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#27]
US Army 1970-2012. I have three of them. In basic (1970) at the sunny and pleasant Fort Bragg it was called the "Fire Guard Ribbon". The mark of a true warrior who would do anything for a drink between  2400 hrs - 0500 hrs.  Was issued and became proficient with the fire guard stick aka broom handle.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I wasn't Army so clear me up on this, isn't the CAB for people who were in combat who weren't infantry, such as tankers?
View Quote

Sort of. The requirements for the CAB are looser than that. You don't actually have to be in a firefight to get a CAB.

AR 600-8-22

8-8. Combat Action Badge

a. On 2 May 2005, the CSA approved the creation of the CAB to provide special recognition to Soldiers who personally engaged, or are engaged by, the enemy. The CAB is intended to serve as a companion to the CIB and CMB to recognize the greatly expanded role of non-infantry Soldiers in active, ground combat.

b. The requirements for award of the CAB are branch and MOS immaterial. Assignment to a combat arms unit or a unit organized to conduct close or offensive combat operations, or performing offensive combat operations, is not required to qualify for the CAB. However, the CAB is not intended to recognize Soldiers who simply serve in a combat zone or imminent danger area. Battle participation credit alone is not sufficient; the unit must have engaged or been engaged by the enemy.

c. Award of the CAB is not automatic and will not be awarded solely based on award of the PH.

d. Specific eligibility requirements include:

(1) May be awarded to any Soldier.

(2) A Soldier must be personally present and under hostile fire while performing satisfactorily in accordance with the prescribed rules of engagement, in an area where hostile fire pay or imminent danger pay is authorized. For all named conflicts beginning after the effective date of this publication, a Soldier must also be performing in an offensive or defensive act while participating in combat operations, engaging, or being engaged by the enemy. A Soldier must be performing their assigned duties associated with the unit's combat mission in an area where hostile fire pay or imminent danger pay is authorized. The requirement for hostile fire pay or imminent danger pay does not apply to cases determined to be eligible under the conditions described in paragraph 3-8c.

(3) Soldier must not be assigned or attached to a unit that would qualify the Soldier for the CIB and/or CMB. For example, an infantryman (MOS 11B) assigned to Corps staff is eligible for award of the CAB. However, an infantryman assigned to an infantry BN is not eligible for award of the CAB.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Service (campaign) medals and service ribbons denote honorable performance of military duty within specified limited dates in specified geographical areas. These medals are awarded only for active Federal military service.

To date, the National Defense Service Medal has been awarded for four specific time periods, which roughly correspond to the Korean War (1950-1954 (retroactive to June 27, 1950)), Vietnam War (1961-1974), Gulf War (1990-1995), and the Global War on Terrorism (2001-2022).

As with most other awards and decorations, there are other minutiae dealing with NDSM special circumstances.

There are many people walking about with a 3rd award of the NDSM.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I never considered an MSM a high enough award to brag about.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I never considered an MSM a high enough award to brag about.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
National Defense Medal is pretty much a participation award, everybody got them during Desert Storm.  Don't ever think about it.

Meritorious Service Medal and Air Medal, not so much.  I've received two of each and still never advertised it (up until right now), and don't expect I ever will again.  That was 34 years ago.
View Quote
I was under the impression that the Meritorious Service Medal is just under Legion of Merit and Silver star, a pretty substantial medal.
I am Desert Storm vet, my  highest medal is the Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal, the one that given just for being good at your job.  I know for sure I was put in for a Navy Comm twice, it was reduced to a letter of commendation and the achievement medal.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Here in Texas, DV (Disabled Veteran) plates are $3/year. I get that people get the other military plates, especially if they're cheaper.

View Quote
Agreed, they are free in MI.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#35]
It's obviously a joke.  Kinda like the "PFC of Marines" t-shirts you used to see.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I got 4 Kuwait Liberation medals, (Kuwait). I basically liberated Kuwait 4 times.
View Quote
I have three Southwest Asia service medals, I have no idea why as I was only there twice.  
Also, you should have done it right the first three times.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I remember we all got them and I wondered what it's for. Then after a few years I would see new recruits wearing them for just being in. So, the way I see it, anytime I would see some .mil wearing them, everything below on their war rack is worthless.

You see these flag officers with 10 rows of ribbons, and the that one is in the middle somewhere. All of the ones lower mean nothing other than deployment ribbons. What a joke.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that the Meritorious Service Medal is just under Legion of Merit and Silver star, a pretty substantial medal.
I am Desert Storm vet, my  highest medal is the Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal, the one that given just for being good at your job.  I know for sure I was put in for a Navy Comm twice, it was reduced to a letter of commendation and the achievement medal.
View Quote

It's pretty high up there. I'd damned sure display it. My highest award was the CAR. I got put in for bronze star but it got downgraded to a letter. I'm good with it because I didn't earn a bronze star.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have three Southwest Asia service medals, I have no idea why as I was only there twice.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#40]
if hes proud of it then good for him! Id rather have more of his kind than some blue haird gayqyeers flying their sex flag
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#41]
I got two of them once upon a time ago. Was the 2nd award an oak leaf or a star? Never bothered to look it up.

ETA: Bronze Star Device.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thank you. I fucked up my post. i got 4 SWASM not Kuwait Liberation medals. I'm retarded.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
US Army 1970-2012. I have three of them. In basic (1970) at the sunny and pleasant Fort Bragg it was called the "Fire Guard Ribbon". The mark of a true warrior who would do anything for a drink between  2400 hrs - 0500 hrs.  Was issued and became proficient with the fire guard stick aka broom handle.
View Quote

I remember it being called the "Fire Guard Ribbon" back in '92
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I remember it being called the "Fire Guard Ribbon" back in '92
View Quote

We called it the "Fire Guard Ribbon" in 2007, too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:12:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

For those who don’t recognize that ribbon, it’s a Cold War Service Ribbon.
View Quote

What's the point?   It's not even authorized on the uniform.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:13:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That’s so funny I almost want one.
View Quote

I hate veteran hats.  I'd wear that one, though.  I'd put my star on it, too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Good Conduct would be hilarious.
View Quote

Hey, now!

That medal was hard earned!!!  

I spent a year as an single Infantry god in the land of the morning calm where whores were cheap and the soju was cheaper.  

I survived many clandestine assaults under the cover of darkness on various military and civilian installations such as the Officer's/Enlisted club at TDC, the Dragon Hill Lodge in Yongsan, The Paradise Club in Munsan, and several trips up and down that hallowed hilltop known as Hooker's Hill in Itaewon (where many men were lost...).  I fired my "gun" in places people can't talk about in good society, dodged accurately thrown STDs, walked through minefields of cheap women and ramen and selectively targeted multiple instances of hand to hand combat with MPs and other drunk assholes:  All while carrying a combat loadout of at least 2 six packs, a bottle of soju, $40, a questionable Durex and a bad attitude towards authority.

Not. One. Reprimand.  

*Starts looking online for ARMY Good Conduct Medal vinyl decals to go in the rear window of the Jeep.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kinda of. But so is the good conduct medal.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I got the certificate.  The ribbon you have to buy yourself.
View Quote

I think DOD initially rejected this one from Korea but i think it’s now authorized so who knows maybe Cold War could someday

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#50]
That’s so fucking cringe.

Participation medal you get after graduating basic.

Whoa slow down stacking bodies bro save some for the rest of us.

CIB or a CAR? I’ll allow it.

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top