BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Doesn't the airtag only work like 30 ft.?
View Quote

GPS location gets me 50 ft away from the vehicle, Airtag gets me closer in case it's in a parking garage or dense area.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There were a TON of vehicle break-ins and thefts at the sporting clays nationals in San Antonio a few weeks ago.
View Quote
That has been going on for years.  The Catholic Church across from the center asks people not to leave firearms in their cars -  they attract too many break in's.  They don't mind the firearms in the Church apparently - just don't leave them in your cars...

The trick they were using 10 years ago was to mark the vehicles in the shooting sports complex (usually with an adhesive dot in the wheel well).  Then they would go "shopping" the local hotels.  Half the people are too fucking lazy to carry in their guns - so they get stolen.  Understand we are not necessarily talking about cheep guns - a lot of these are 10k P and K guns (higher in trap and skeet guns).  They could probably make money faster steeling the guns than the whole cars.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I can't believe someone would pay 85k for a truck
View Quote
Lol poors.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#4]
They used to hang horse thieves.  That needs to come back in a big way.

Anyone who would steal a vehicle doesn't need to be wasting our oxygen anymore.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought the reason we have these fucking bulky-ass $500 keys for our cars now is that it makes them harder to fucking steal.  
View Quote
Same.  I know there are tech smart criminals now, but you would just think this would be almost impossible now.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Nah man. If anything, it made it easier. A cloning tool and a 8" piece of stiff wire and that (or any) new GM vehicle is easy pickings.

Both tools available on the web.

<---------22 year locksmith.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the reason we have these fucking bulky-ass $500 keys for our cars now is that it makes them harder to fucking steal.  

Nah man. If anything, it made it easier. A cloning tool and a 8" piece of stiff wire and that (or any) new GM vehicle is easy pickings.

Both tools available on the web.

<---------22 year locksmith.

Lovely.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#7]
You boys like mexeeeco?  Cartel got a new hwip.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, stupid question.

how do they steal vehicles like that? You mean 2021? I thought it had a lot of security features.

is the key electronic? Is that the source of the problem?

if not, do they pick the ignition key? Or jump the wires like you see in the movies?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had two Silverado's stolen. A 2016 and a 2018. They disabled Onstar both times. Don't bother spending money on that service. I had to get a garage for the latest one, and still have this truck. lol
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I can’t believe someone would pay 85k for a truck
View Quote

That's the real crime here.

OP, hope he gets his truck back intact.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hope they catch the thieves.
View Quote
Really, you think they are going to actually look for them?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ONSTAR can GPS locate the truck without Cellular coverage.
View Quote

Tell me more. If I unplug or cut the antenna wire, how does the car communicate with the rest of the world?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you care, put a hidden kill switch somewhere. Make them tow it
View Quote

I prevented thefts of two different vehicles using this one simple trick.

Thieves left empty-handed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/picard-UhOh-339.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I had no idea modern trucks were so easy to steal. Many of us that work leave expensive tools in the back thinking they’re secure. Of course many people carry items for self-defense even extra cash or a credit card.

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit, if they abandoned the stripped truck in the police station parking lot, they would probably get a ticket for it or something
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My brothers 2021 GMC Denali 2500 stolen last night from a hotel. Took the thieves less than four minutes to drive off with an $85k truck. It’s ridiculous to see how easily they were in it and it was running in seconds then drove off minutes later. Proceeded to another location miles away, stripped his fleet GPS tracking system out and disabled ONSTAR.

https://youtu.be/DrPnaUM2rTU

View Quote
That sucks. I hope they catch them.

That said: things like this are why I do things like remove critical uncommon parts from the vehicle and carry them with me if I need to park securely ... besides parking in a way that gives tow truck drivers hives to work around.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OK, stupid question.

how do they steal vehicles like that? You mean 2021? I thought it had a lot of security features.

if not, do they pick the ignition key? Or jump the wires like you see in the movies?
View Quote

Electronic keyless fobs are becoming pretty popular. There's tools out there that can copy the signal that's coming off your key and transmit the same thing to your car without your fob being anywhere near it. Similar to how thieves were opening people's garage doors a while back (did that ever stop?)
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ya.  No shit.  How does that (not) work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya.  No shit.  How does that (not) work?

They can clone your key's profile or fake it with the right hand held computer.
the only way to keep them from cloning your key it to keep it in a fariday cage
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#20]
You would need one of these hidden and wired onto the negative side of the starter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TPYD74/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_CBDMC9HQKPMKJ623ZYG7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#21]
A guy in the building next door to my work bought a new mercedes AMG something or other 4 years ago and he went to lunch with some of the guys from the industrial park and thieves (presumably) cloned his wireless key fob and stole his car while he ate.

They came back out and the car was gone . . . no broken glass, no nothing.

Stuff like this is the exact reason I daily drive sub $5k cars and spend my car fund money on a weekend/track car. I used to travel frequently to Bankhead and Oakland (downtown Atlanta) in really shitty parts of town and never had a problem with anyone breaking into my car.

I know of 3 guys staying at hotels that have had their nice trucks and trailers/cars stolen either racing at Commerce/Atlanta Dragway or Hampton/Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A simple on/off switch between the fuel pump or starter hidden works wonders as preventing a vehicle from being stolen.
View Quote

I had switches on my previous vehicles fuel pumps, including the Tacoma I drove into Mexico.  I still haven't gotten around to adding one to the current Tacoma.  In my first VWs I used to pull the rotors when I'd park them at trailheads.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
All fucking thieves must fucking die.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There was a crew a couple years ago that were cloning keys from the street. They'd come back later and just drive away while the owner slept.
View Quote

Were they gone in 60 seconds?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You boys like mexeeeco?  Cartel got a new hwip.  
View Quote

Came to post this.  It is already being equipped with armor and a .50
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Car and Driver parked a Corvette on a New York street several years ago and watched to see how long it lasted.
They put a fuel shut off valve on a fuel line and it would go a few hundred feet and die.
It lasted an average of about 10 minutes.

I'd like to put a fuel shut off on my pickup.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:46:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That said: things like this are why I do things like remove critical uncommon parts from the vehicle and carry them with me if I need to park securely ... besides parking in a way that gives tow truck drivers hives to work around.
View Quote

Like the ignition rotor?

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't understand why hidden kill switches aren't more popular.  Its not rocket surgery to install one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:49:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That sucks man.

Hopefully ID'ng the car following will help.

Keep us updated, hope they catch the assholes.

Lojack is looking better and better.
View Quote

The truck had a hidden Third Party GPS tracking system that are on all of his company vehicles. Uses them to track drivers locations for jobs easily.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OK, stupid question.

View Quote

8" piece of stiff wire, bent in a particular fashion, will pop the ignition switch out in +/- 30 seconds. Then just fire up the clone tool, find the correct radio code, and BAM! New truck!
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wonder if they still make that steering wheel lock thing.
The Chub or the Club something like that.

That sucks Biden ball bag op.
View Quote

If someone is stealing your vehicle do you really think they'll shy away from cutting the steering wheel
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Like the ignition rotor?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like the ignition rotor?

Yep.

Or part of the starting circuit.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
All fucking thieves must fucking die.
View Quote
It's a property crime committed by poor folks just trying to feed their starving children. We've got to end the school to prison pipeline! Stop criminalizing poverty! Get rid of the cameras, too, because all surveillance is racist!
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
OK, stupid question.

View Quote

The only reason there are so many security features is because there is a way around every one of them. If the thief knows how to defeat 3 out of 5 he can't take your truck. If he knows how to defeat all 5, you're fucked.

And thanks to online message boards it's not hard to learn. Every feature has a group that doesn't like it. Car guys are always looking to change/add/remove something. Look how many of us hate Onstar.

Take 50 people discussing how to remove Onstar, add one guy with...dishonest reasons, amd you have a guy learning how to steal a car through legit discussion.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#35]
The last one I saw was a Dodge Hellcat Redeye stolen off the local lot about a week ago with no keys.  Took them a couple minutes to have it started and driving away.

Luckily they recovered this one.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#36]
What about a remote controlled relay that was actuated by another key fob? You actuate the relay when you get out of the truck to break the circuit and then you have to actuated again to make the circuit

You can wear that in line with the fuel pump or starter circuit
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't understand why hidden kill switches aren't more popular.  Its not rocket surgery to install one.
View Quote

Yeah, the wire to the starter solenoid is pretty easy to find on every car I've seen. You could tap into plenty of other spots in the ignition circuits I'm sure, but I'm lazy :)
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If someone is stealing your vehicle do you really think they'll shy away from cutting the steering wheel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder if they still make that steering wheel lock thing.
The Chub or the Club something like that.

That sucks Biden ball bag op.

Always wondered why they don't make a ver 2.0 with a large bent U that goes around the steering column (as opposed to the wheel), then down to connect to the bit that hooks around the brake (or gas pedal, whichever you prefer. Locking the brake pedal prevents an automatic from being started. Locking the gas pedal prevents the vehicle being driven).

Once locked, they'd have to saw through the pedal (which is obviously doable, but harder and noisier than cutting through the steering wheel).
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Why?

Was it a bad purchase in 2020?

Will you replace it and at what cost?
View Quote

I decided I want to get back into a Lexus GX. For whatever reason trucks are what have gone nuts. I can buy a 2018/2019 GX for about 40-45k that had original sticker of $60k+ so essentially it is a wash for me, but still at a discount off original price.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I pull the fuze for the fuel pump. Good luck figuring that out.
View Quote

Amatuer.

I pull the whole top end every time I park.

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#41]
So you buy a truck for say $50,000 and with the market being as crazy as it is you could turn around and sell it for $58,000. It gets stolen, does the insurance pay the 50 or the 58000?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Keyless is terrible for security. If your fob is not secured and close to the vehicle, you could also be doomed just the same.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#43]
One of the many joys of diversity.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Need to bring back a proper hangin' for car thieves.  Worked for horse thieves back in the day.  Get caught in the act, get a rope...
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:22:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have heard the fuse can be pulled to disable onstar
View Quote

I have a '17 Denali 3500 and the only way to disable onstar is to pull 3 plugs under the trim by the radio. In doing so you lose a bunch of capabilities but it is possible and quick to do if you know where to look. If these thieves were that good I'm sure they disabled onstar, GPS, etc…before moving. Only takes a minute or so.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Find the power wire to the fuel pump. Cut and install  a hidden manual  switch somewhere. Even if can break in will never get started without pump working.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#47]
I wouldn't shoot some poor schlub stealing some food out of a store, but when someone works their ass off to buy a 80k truck and someone steals it?  Off with their hands at least..........
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's a property crime committed by poor folks just trying to feed their starving children. We've got to end the school to prison pipeline! Stop criminalizing poverty! Get rid of the cameras, too, because all surveillance is racist!
View Quote

Simone Browne is far from an educator.
Anything that identifies a particular repeating feature is deemed racist whether it is earned or not.  How did we all wake up, coordinate and decide to hate one race?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If you care, put a hidden kill switch somewhere. Make them tow it
View Quote

This

Many videos on youtube showing how to do it.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I pull the fuze for the fuel pump. Good luck figuring that out.
View Quote

This...or crank sensor to be a little more tricky.

The cleverest idea I've heard is to use a 3-position switch.  Two of the positions are shorts which will blow fuses requiredfor ignition.  Even if he finds the switch after the vehicle doesn't start, the vehicle won't start (no positions work).  I could never do this because I would forget and blow fuses constantly.....
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top