Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Teams in 2016 reported the step was still there, and the only changes were that of snow cover - significantly more snow cover than in previous years, making for an easier ascent.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Great thread, love all the insight. I'll be checking out Meru.

Oh, and FSHP.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I watched Meru last night.  Fantastic film.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Teams in 2016 reported the step was still there, and the only changes were that of snow cover - significantly more snow cover than in previous years, making for an easier ascent.
View Quote
And teams in 2016-2017 said it was gone and took pictures to prove it. Unless snow removes mass and shrinks boulders into nothing, then they're gone
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
And teams in 2016-2017 said it was gone and took pictures to prove it. Unless snow removes mass and shrinks boulders into nothing, then they're gone
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not sure if there were any summits from the South Col in 2014.  There were none in 2015.  So, after two seasons without meaningful traffic, the Sherpas fixed ropes up a different line than usual, owing to newly formed snow on the step.

The guys that led the step, fixing the ropes for the past two seasons are saying the structure of the step seems unchanged, albeit under more snow than in past seasons.  If the one rock in question had cut loose, it would have created a steeper section to surmount and these guys probably would have noticed when they fixed the lines.

https://www.climbing.com/news/2017-everest-news-crowds-speed-records-hillary-step-mystery-and-accidents/

And yes, snow can "shrink" boulders into nothing.  Go do a climb in a dry year over verglassed rock, and then again in good snow/ice conditions.  The difference can be night and day.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I've read everything I could find about Everest. I don't ever remember reading about fixing ropes around the Step.

Have you? Isn't the Step so exposed that wind blows it clean?

Seems odd that after a massive earthquake and reports of the Step changing that they start fixing around it for the first time, but claim it is unchanged. WTF do I know, though?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Ropes have always been fixed on the step.  There's just no other way to do it.  Trying to do a conventional two man belay takes too long if there are multiple teams on the ridge.  Not only that, but it requires that all team members have the technical and physical ability to surmount the step using a tool-only approach - not just the lead climbers.  That's not a sound bet.  Not at that point in the day.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah.. I hate to make the comparison, but anyone that hikes and does some strenuous stuff knows that coming down is an entirely different workout, and can be worse than going up... often you're at your very limit near the end, and there's just a much greater chance of losing your footing on the way down, so the combination with exhaustion makes it dicey..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's because most people who pay $80-100k to be guided up fail to realize, even after being told relentlessly, that getting to the top is only 50% of the climb. Accidents happen when clients get careless, rush, are exhausted, etc. on the way down. They spend all their energy getting to the top without realizing they need almost as much time and energy for the trip down.
Yeah.. I hate to make the comparison, but anyone that hikes and does some strenuous stuff knows that coming down is an entirely different workout, and can be worse than going up... often you're at your very limit near the end, and there's just a much greater chance of losing your footing on the way down, so the combination with exhaustion makes it dicey..
It hurts a lot less falling up than it does falling down.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast in which he had a guest who rescues climbers. He summited Everest in 2001, and said that most deaths happen on the way down.
View Quote
Yup.

When you get to the top, congratulations. You got 1/2 way.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have trekked from Lukla to Everest Base Camp. That was enough for me
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#11]
sorry, double-tap. The air is pretty thin
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ropes have always been fixed on the step.  There's just no other way to do it.  Trying to do a conventional two man belay takes too long if there are multiple teams on the ridge.  Not only that, but it requires that all team members have the technical and physical ability to surmount the step using a tool-only approach - not just the lead climbers.  That's not a sound bet.  Not at that point in the day.
View Quote
Well aware the Step is fixed. The article you posted said they fixed ropes around the Step. Traditionally the fixed ropes went straight up. That was a huge problem in '96 as they backed up at the bottom on the way up, and the top on the way down.

Actually, I think when Krakauer was going down after summiting there were still people trying to go up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]
yea, I just do not understand the allure either

If I wanna see the top of that big ass mountain... I will look at it from an airplane

Risking your life on something as unpredictable as a mountain forecast ( 15,000 foot altitude maybe ... 25K feet plus ? not a chance ) just seems like a really bad idea

But hey, to each their own.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#15]
They're fixing to the right of the traditional line up the step because the recent snow formations allow for it.  The rocks comprising the step still look to be all there, but the new snow buildup is letting them move more easily onto the eastern side of the ridge, bypassing the mixed stuff on the step.  In prior years, they've been boxed in by a sharp edge to the eastern snow, funneling them up the mixed terrain of the step.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 5:40:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A small paper bag makes things much easier.  Tear the corners part way down, fold the sides down a bit.  When done, put the toilet paper in there, and fold up the bag.  From there, two options are available: 1) in remote areas that see little traffic, jettison the bag, making sure it clears the route; 2) put in in the PVC waste tube that's typically hanging from the bottom of one of the haul bags.

Even in remote areas, waste management is a huge issue.  First, you just don't want others traipsing through your mess.  Second, you may have to reverse the very route you just ascended - some steep climbs have no walk-off, and the surest way down is what you just came up.  Finally, you have to consider what is going to happen if a team member gets sick.  Illness can ruin a summit bid, an entire expedition, and could possibly prove fatal via dehydration, hypothermia, etc, if conditions are bad or remote enough.

Entertaining fact for the day:
If you are on a portaledge, the typical updraft is strong enough, that if you accidentally fumble the roll of toilet paper, but still manage to hold on to one end, that roll of toilet paper is going to fly overhead like a kite as it unrolls into the wild blue yonder.
View Quote
Interesting.  What mountains have you climbed?  I enjoy reading about this stuff, but wouldn't dream of doing it myself.  I'm not much of a cold weather person, lol.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:07:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I just watched Meru and I’m blown away. What an amazing documentary, cinematically and story wise.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Interesting.  What mountains have you climbed?  I enjoy reading about this stuff, but wouldn't dream of doing it myself.  I'm not much of a cold weather person, lol.
View Quote
I'm mostly a rock climber, but have done a few alpine routes.  But, none of the successful alpine routes were particularly noteworthy.

There is nothing in my climbing resume that would get me to Everest.  Nothing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#19]
One guy guy that has reached the summit 4 times said the step is significantly altered. Another who is a 15 time champ said the step is gone. As in the largest boulder of the step is completely missing and you can see fresh rock exposed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I just finished Meru....holy shit! Excellent film with unbelievable footage.  The guy who had the accident and cracked his skull who finished was an animal.  There was a K2 movie a long time ago that was supposed to be good, does anyone remember or have a recommendation of another good climbing movie?
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Rob Halls body on the South Summit.

Adventure Consultants' 1996 Everest expedition consisted of eight clients and three guides (Hall, Mike Groom and Andy Harris). Among the clients was Jon Krakauer, a journalist on assignment from Outside magazine. Hall had brokered a deal with Outside for advertising space in exchange for a story about the growing popularity of commercial expeditions to Everest.

Shortly after midnight on 10 May 1996, the Adventure Consultants expedition began a summit attempt from Camp IV, atop the South Col. They were joined by climbers from Scott Fischer's Mountain Madness company, as well as expeditions sponsored by the governments of Taiwan and India.

The expeditions quickly encountered delays. Upon reaching the Hillary Step, the climbers discovered that no fixed line had been placed, and they were forced to wait for an hour while the guides installed the ropes (Rob nonetheless "fixed most of the mountain in 1996").[5] Because some 33 climbers were attempting the summit on the same day, and Hall and Fischer had asked their climbers to stay within 150 m of each other, there were bottlenecks at the single fixed line at the Hillary Step. Many of the climbers had not yet reached the summit by 2:00 pm, the last safe time to turn around to reach Camp IV before nightfall.

Hall's Sardar, Ang Dorje Sherpa, and other climbing Sherpas waited at the summit for the clients. Near 3:00 pm, they began their descent. On the way down, Ang Dorje encountered client Doug Hansen above the Hillary Step, and ordered him to descend. Hansen refused.[6] When Hall arrived at the scene, he sent the Sherpas down to assist the other clients, and stated that he would remain to help Hansen, who had run out of supplementary oxygen.

At 5:00 pm, a blizzard struck the Southwest Face of Everest, diminishing visibility and obliterating the trail back to Camp IV. Shortly afterward, Hall radioed for help, saying that Hansen had fallen unconscious but was still alive. Adventure Consultants guide Andy Harris began climbing to the Hillary Step at 5:30 pm with water and supplementary oxygen.

On 11 May, at 4:43 am, close to twelve hours after the blizzard had started, Hall radioed down and said that he was on the South Summit. He reported that Harris had reached the two men, but that Hansen had died sometime during the night and that Harris was missing as well. Hall was not breathing bottled oxygen, because his regulator was too choked with ice. By 9:00 am, Hall had fixed his oxygen mask, but indicated that his frostbitten hands and feet were making it difficult to traverse the fixed ropes. Later in the afternoon, he radioed to Base Camp, asking them to call his wife, Jan Arnold, on the satellite phone. During this last communication, he reassured her that he was reasonably comfortable and told her, "Sleep well my sweetheart. Please don't worry too much." Shortly thereafter, he died, and his body was found on 23 May by mountaineers from the IMAX expedition. His body still remains just below the South Summit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Hall
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Rob Halls body on the South Summit.

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-ec759f87028a60674749facfe60720a1

Adventure Consultants' 1996 Everest expedition consisted of eight clients and three guides (Hall, Mike Groom and Andy Harris). Among the clients was Jon Krakauer, a journalist on assignment from Outside magazine. Hall had brokered a deal with Outside for advertising space in exchange for a story about the growing popularity of commercial expeditions to Everest.

Shortly after midnight on 10 May 1996, the Adventure Consultants expedition began a summit attempt from Camp IV, atop the South Col. They were joined by climbers from Scott Fischer's Mountain Madness company, as well as expeditions sponsored by the governments of Taiwan and India.

The expeditions quickly encountered delays. Upon reaching the Hillary Step, the climbers discovered that no fixed line had been placed, and they were forced to wait for an hour while the guides installed the ropes (Rob nonetheless "fixed most of the mountain in 1996").[5] Because some 33 climbers were attempting the summit on the same day, and Hall and Fischer had asked their climbers to stay within 150 m of each other, there were bottlenecks at the single fixed line at the Hillary Step. Many of the climbers had not yet reached the summit by 2:00 pm, the last safe time to turn around to reach Camp IV before nightfall.

Hall's Sardar, Ang Dorje Sherpa, and other climbing Sherpas waited at the summit for the clients. Near 3:00 pm, they began their descent. On the way down, Ang Dorje encountered client Doug Hansen above the Hillary Step, and ordered him to descend. Hansen refused.[6] When Hall arrived at the scene, he sent the Sherpas down to assist the other clients, and stated that he would remain to help Hansen, who had run out of supplementary oxygen.

At 5:00 pm, a blizzard struck the Southwest Face of Everest, diminishing visibility and obliterating the trail back to Camp IV. Shortly afterward, Hall radioed for help, saying that Hansen had fallen unconscious but was still alive. Adventure Consultants guide Andy Harris began climbing to the Hillary Step at 5:30 pm with water and supplementary oxygen.

On 11 May, at 4:43 am, close to twelve hours after the blizzard had started, Hall radioed down and said that he was on the South Summit. He reported that Harris had reached the two men, but that Hansen had died sometime during the night and that Harris was missing as well. Hall was not breathing bottled oxygen, because his regulator was too choked with ice. By 9:00 am, Hall had fixed his oxygen mask, but indicated that his frostbitten hands and feet were making it difficult to traverse the fixed ropes. Later in the afternoon, he radioed to Base Camp, asking them to call his wife, Jan Arnold, on the satellite phone. During this last communication, he reassured her that he was reasonably comfortable and told her, "Sleep well my sweetheart. Please don't worry too much." Shortly thereafter, he died, and his body was found on 23 May by mountaineers from the IMAX expedition. His body still remains just below the South Summit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Hall
View Quote
Fucking intense shit.  I read that your body feels very warm and euphoric when extreme frostbite sets in......seems like a peaceful  way to go under the circumstances.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#23]
It's funny as hell that a Frenchman flew a Helicopter all the way up to the Summit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#24]
David Sharps body. He took a rest next to Green Boots and never woke up.

In 2006, David Sharp’s (an experience climber) death tore apart the climbing community raising questions about the “Code Of The Mountain.” The British mountaineer was conducting his third trek to the summit of Everest without using supplemental oxygen, teammates, Sherpas or radios. He aborted the first two attempts due to the perilous conditions and frostbite that claimed several of his toes.

On his third attempt, he successfully peaked and while climbing down he stopped to rest within Green Boots’s cave. Exhausted and disoriented, Sharp curled up and fell asleep. He was never to awake. Sadly, David Sharp did not die instantly. He was passed by more than 40 different climbers who could all note his distress in his final hours. This caused immense outrage in the climbing community all over the world knowing Sharp was left to suffer and not offered help.

“The whole attitude toward climbing Mount Everest has become rather horrifying,” said Sir Edmund Hillary against Mark Inglis and his team who allegedly witness Sharp’s distress during their mount to the top. “A human life is far more important than just getting to the top of a mountain.” Climbers share an unwritten code which commands them to abandon their quest if they witness a climber in peril or distress.

A lot of people argue that Everest has caused a “grey area” in terms of morality stating that it is every man for himself out there. This mentality merely pushes summited Everest into more of a civil war than a quest. Inglis states that he and his team found Sharp incoherent, completely frostbitten and too far gone for saving. Some claims surfaced that some climbers attempted saving him to no avail. Others attested that they mistook Sharp for Green Boots. However, a lot of people have raised the claims that Sharp was purposefully left unattended as a result of summit fever and climber greed of others.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess I can see both sides.  If you are invested in making the climb, several thousand dollars, training, logistics, leaving family behind etc. are you obligated to just stop everything and help someone in need?  Who exactly is going to compensate you for your losses if you do indeed stop, turn back, and help another climber?  For some, it's a once in a lifetime chance and they only get one shot at completing a life long dream.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:31:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I guess I can see both sides.  If you are invested in making the climb, several thousand dollars, training, logistics, leaving family behind etc. are you obligated to just stop everything and help someone in need?  Who exactly is going to compensate you for your losses if you do indeed stop, turn back, and help another climber?  For some, it's a once in a lifetime chance and they only get one shot at completing a life long dream.
View Quote
$50k is a good starting point.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:33:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Because of the discussion about Meru, the route shown in orange is the subject of the Meru documentary ...

https://cdn.ukc2.com/i/184635.jpg
View Quote
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu........
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:37:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Did you just watch it based on this thread?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holy shit, Meru was good. Arfcom wins again.
Did you just watch it based on this thread?
I just got done watching it from recommendations here. Wow, I have a new respect for the sport now!
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Because of the discussion about Meru, the route shown in orange is the subject of the Meru documentary ...

https://cdn.ukc2.com/i/184635.jpg
View Quote
Yeah, that looks like it sucks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
David Sharps body. He took a rest next to Green Boots and never woke up.

https://www.abenakiextreme.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/David_Sharp_Body_Mt_Everest.png

https://freaked.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/david-sharp-freaked.jpg

https://i2.wp.com/thepostmortempost.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/img_7268.jpg?ssl=1

In 2006, David Sharp’s (an experience climber) death tore apart the climbing community raising questions about the “Code Of The Mountain.” The British mountaineer was conducting his third trek to the summit of Everest without using supplemental oxygen, teammates, Sherpas or radios. He aborted the first two attempts due to the perilous conditions and frostbite that claimed several of his toes.

On his third attempt, he successfully peaked and while climbing down he stopped to rest within Green Boots’s cave. Exhausted and disoriented, Sharp curled up and fell asleep. He was never to awake. Sadly, David Sharp did not die instantly. He was passed by more than 40 different climbers who could all note his distress in his final hours. This caused immense outrage in the climbing community all over the world knowing Sharp was left to suffer and not offered help.

“The whole attitude toward climbing Mount Everest has become rather horrifying,” said Sir Edmund Hillary against Mark Inglis and his team who allegedly witness Sharp’s distress during their mount to the top. “A human life is far more important than just getting to the top of a mountain.” Climbers share an unwritten code which commands them to abandon their quest if they witness a climber in peril or distress.

A lot of people argue that Everest has caused a “grey area” in terms of morality stating that it is every man for himself out there. This mentality merely pushes summited Everest into more of a civil war than a quest. Inglis states that he and his team found Sharp incoherent, completely frostbitten and too far gone for saving. Some claims surfaced that some climbers attempted saving him to no avail. Others attested that they mistook Sharp for Green Boots. However, a lot of people have raised the claims that Sharp was purposefully left unattended as a result of summit fever and climber greed of others.
View Quote
When they say 40 people passed him, they were on their way up, including a group with a huge amount of support that was supporting summiting the first double amputee. Based on the initial reports, they all basically stepped over the guy on their way to their own personal glory. (Further details suggest Sharp was beyond help, but those saying so were the ones under scrutiny)

My friends and I were rather disgusted when we heard the news reports on our the door to ski. We mocked the heartlessness by staging a photo on a 13er (that's a 13,xxx ft peak, not an arfcom 13er) where I wore an "oxygen" mask and laid down desperately reaching up for help toward my friend who feigned pissing on me.

After we took the picture we prepared to go up the ridge we were to ski. A guy coming down the ridge asked us WTF are you guys doing?

Turns out he'd been to Everest 4x. He hadn't heard what happened, but was horrified when we told him.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:09:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's a values thing...

Is your life long dream truly reached if you stepping over desperate mountain brothers to get there? If so, I don't give a fuck about your story or you.

"I gave up my summit (to try) to save someone's life in the death zone," is someone who I want to hear from and be around.

In Sharp's case, he might have been unsalvagable.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:11:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Damn that guy gorilla climbed Everest with no permits.

That's badass.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:24:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Watching the true story about the 96 tragedy it's hard to believe people put themselves in those kind of environments to say " I went where many haven't. "

The guy from TX that survived lost his nose and both hands. Hell of a price to pay to come back home
View Quote

Yes, but did he spite his face?
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:38:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A lot of people have fell coming back down off of Hillary Step. It was situated right next to a 10,000ft cliff, not something you want to lose your step on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also, for those that follow Everest, after that last big 2015 earthquake, the Hillary Step is GONE.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CidPB_SUkAA4eAx.jpg

I'm guessing quite a few "permanent" residents of Rainbow Valley might have gotten knocked loose or covered up...
A lot of people have fell coming back down off of Hillary Step. It was situated right next to a 10,000ft cliff, not something you want to lose your step on.
Hillary just can't stop killing people
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#35]
I will never ever forget this movie. I think about the main character almost every day.

Couldn't recommend this movie any more.

Touching the Void
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:28:11 AM EDT
[#36]
That documentary on Meru was pretty interesting.  Great movie and since obviously everyone here is interested in alpine climbing, they should definitely watch it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I will never ever forget this movie. I think about the main character almost every day.

Couldn't recommend this movie any more.

Touching the Void
View Quote
Will watch tonight if I can find it on amazon or Netflix, thanks for the recommendation.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
yea, I just do not understand the allure either

If I wanna see the top of that big ass mountain... I will look at it from an airplane

Risking your life on something as unpredictable as a mountain forecast ( 15,000 foot altitude maybe ... 25K feet plus ? not a chance ) just seems like a really bad idea

But hey, to each their own.
View Quote
29,000+ feet.
Mt. Everest is in a place by itself.
Over the years there has been speculation that Mallory & Irvine actually summited the mountain, but both died on the way down, based on location of some of their gear, their bodies, plus sightings of them the day of their climb.
The allure is there. But having too many friends have issues with altitude climbs, I decided early out that Scotland's Munros & New England's Whites were enough challenge for me.
It's easy to see if in other's eyes. I talked a few folks out of summit attempts in the Whites when weather was ugly & iffy. Hard granite is no place to be in high winds & driving snow.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Fuck Jon Krakauer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read "Into Thin Air"
Fuck Jon Krakauer.

Not a fan of his. I have Into Thin Air and don't even use it as a paperweight. I much prefer other accounts of the events of '96.

And I much prefer reading about the 1986 and 2008 seasons on K2. Actually, K2 is FAR more captivating to me than Everest ever was. There's been a picture of K2 on my office wall for years. There will never be one of Everest. Doesn't mean that it's not a worthy goal. It's just not really one of mine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Go watch "Meru" on Netflix or Amazon. Those guys are fucking insane.
View Quote
Meru was great.

Conrad [Anker] lives 120 miles from me. I have a pic of he and I together and got to talk to him for a while.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Because you disagree with something he wrote?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read "Into Thin Air"
Fuck Jon Krakauer.
Because you disagree with something he wrote?
Because he's a leftist asshole?
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you are referring to Pitman, she had already accomplished 6 of the 7 summits, and been on Everest twice before - one of those attempts being with Alex Lowe on the Kangshung Face.
View Quote
RIP Alex. He was my climbing hero.

And then I found a new one in Ueli Steck. And now he's gone.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Fair enough.  We'll have address Jon Krakauer as a hack across his whole
body of work in another thread.
View Quote
Krak is a leftist shill who does some of what he does just to stir shit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:03:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You think Annapurna climbers are crazy, check out Nanga Parbat.
View Quote
Especially the Rupal Face!

I enjoy reading Tomaz Humar's account of his solo attempt.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I just want to emphasize this part, because then his bias becomes evident. Why was Krakauer on a fully sponsored climb up Everest at all? Why did Outside magazine cover that massive bill? What article was Krakauer supposed to write based off that climb, what was the concept that he sold to his editor?

Based on his own words, Krakauer was only there to write a hit piece on the whole Everest commercialized climbing experience. He was going to write about how undeserving novice climbers with money were getting short roped up the mountain, about how traffic jams were occurring because too many normies with money were climbing up and taking valuable space only the deserving experienced climbers should be allowed, and mostly he was going to discuss the trash situation, about h ow these commercial expeditions were the cause of the piles of trash accumulating on the mountain. And the hippies who read Outside magazine would have LOVED this sort of article. He was going to get a whole center spread, numerous pages.

But disaster happened instead. And Krakauer got a better hit piece story to write about, one big enough not just for a magazine article (which he wrote first, because of a contract) but also enough material for his own book.

Afterwards, numerous other members of the expedition, the Russian guide, some of the client climbers, some of the sherpas started a war against Krakauer because so much of the story was his own bullshit and bias. We're actually seeing that now, the standard story of the 96 disaster, blame is firmly attached now and the justification. Essentially Krakauer's version of that day and night have become canon. But the reality is that Everest is a very dangerous mountain to climb, a shit load die every year, and that year more died than normal, but still far less than the amount that died other years, because climbing giant mountains in super cold and little oxygen isn't something people do if they like safety.
View Quote

NAIL --> HEAD

Krak is a "journalist". 'Nuff said.

And yes, he's done some respectable climbing. But I still wouldn't piss on him to warm his frozen hands.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

29,000+ feet.
Mt. Everest is in a place by itself.
Over the years there has been speculation that Mallory & Irvine actually summited the mountain, but both died on the way down, based on location of some of their gear, their bodies, plus sightings of them the day of their climb.
The allure is there. But having too many friends have issues with altitude climbs, I decided early out that Scotland's Munros & New England's Whites were enough challenge for me.
It's easy to see if in other's eyes. I talked a few folks out of summit attempts in the Whites when weather was ugly & iffy. Hard granite is no place to be in high winds & driving snow.
View Quote
I guess it is if you're talking about several hundred extra feet (over K2). But K2, Annapurna, Nanga Parbat, and several other 8,000ers are far more treacherous. They just don't have the allure to some because you can't say "I climbed Mount Everest". But as someone who used to do a fair bit of climbing (mostly ice climbing), I can safely say that I'd MUCH rather be able to say that I climbed one of those "mountaineer's mountains", than "I climbed that mountain that those couple of thousand doctors, lawyers, postal carriers, socialites, etc" climbed. And for that matter, I'd much rather be able to say that I trekked solo across Antarctica than that I'd climbed Everest. I'm serious.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
There is also a legitimate question about the risk you will be placing on yourself in an attempt to aid somebody else in that environment. This isn't like hiking through a U.S. National Park on a pleasant day and coming across somebody who needs help. By the time you reach "Green Boots" your own body is already pushing itself and you are both physically and mentally going in survival mode. Simply loitering with a person in that condition could put your own life at risk. I am not qualified to judge anybody's actions who was up there.

Again, I am NOT a Climber, I am a Trekker but I have heard enough stories from Nepal to keep me from ever buying a set of crampons and a belaying rig.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Might be a dumb question to some ... but this is a serious question

I live in WA state and we have Mount Rainier ( I think its around 15,000 feet and the highest in the state )- and yea every couple years someone dies up there due to some extreme accident / unforseen problem while trying to ascent the summit.

Anyway ... the entire top of Mt Rainier is glacier / ice covered 24/7 365 days a year. Even middle of summer you can clearly see the top 1/4th of the mountain is all snow and all ice ( doesn't ever melt )

Now if this Mt Everest is 29,000 feet and twice as tall and its colder the higher you go. My question is why all the bare rocks and bare granite I keep seeing in all the Mt Everest pics ? I would think the glacier ice up there is 10 feet thick on everything ??
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Now if this Mt Everest is 29,000 feet and twice as tall and its colder the higher you go. My question is why all the bare rocks and bare granite I keep seeing in all the Mt Everest pics ? I would think the glacier ice up there is 10 feet thick on everything ??
View Quote
Because Mt. Everest is in the jet stream for much of the year and the very high winds (over 100mph) blow all the snow and ice off the peaks.  Plus the peaks are above a lot of the precipitation producing clouds.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Just saw a chart showing deaths vs elevation. Seriously, how shitty would it be to die at base camp??
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top