Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From a purely practical standpoint, you should care because it costs you less as a taxpayer.

The delta between what you fund and eventually receive is smaller than the cost of funding welfare payments.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happy to explain further.

I could colloquially say "I've paid into social security, so I expect to receive it when I retire"

OR

I could say "With the understanding that I will one day in turn receive social security retirement benefits, I have contributed a portion of my salary to fund the prior generations' social security retirement benefits".

The difference is semantics.  The difference does not provide a basis for discontinuing social security.

A separate question is "what [my] position to support it continuing it", which you have asked above.

It is not a perfect system and could certainly stand to be improved.  But it loosely attempts to match payments with contributions (note the word "loosely").  Most programs of this nature allow a person to contribute nothing to the system, and yet still receive benefits.  They are in effect free riders.  The current system, flawed that it is, ensures that there is not complete free ridership by making contributions mandatory.

As I stated before, we will never be a society that does not provide some measure of support for its elderly.  I've visited countries like that; it's not pretty.  So, that leaves us with a choice:

1) a program like social security, that requires some level of contribution, to decrease free ridership; or
2) a program like "the dole", that does not require contribution, and yet we (being taxpayers) still fund.

Out of those two choices, I opt for one that at least loosely ties contribution to benefit.  I'm happy for it to be an improved system and not social security.  I'm unhappy to end it completely and still end up supporting people.  
If your stated goal is "To take care of the elderly" then why tie it to previous contributions?  That doesn't seem logical.

Why are you okay with some elderly people dying on the streets but not all?  (Or, you know family or faith groups taking care of them)
My goal is to take care of the elderly while minimizing free ridership.  Social security does this by requiring contributions (it is effectively a "pay it forward" model).

What makes you think I am ok with some elderly people dying in the streets?  No one dies in the streets in America.
Even those not eligable for Social Security don't die on the streets?

ETA:  And I made the logical leap since you are down with SS as the safety net, but it doesn't apply to everyone.
Those not eligible for Social Security (and in poverty) typically receive other forms of welfare.  They don't often die in the streets (in America).

They cost taxpayers more on a net basis than those who contribute to social security do.

For simplicity, imagine:

Benefits received
-contributions paid in
= Net cost to taxpayers

Social security payments are "funded" by future beneficiaries, unlike other welfare systems where the beneficiaries pay nothing.  
Who the fuck cares if they are "funded" by future folks stuck in the cycle?

All that (and the fake account information bullshit) does is saddle us with the "fuck you, pay me" mentality that exists.

It's all just taxes that go in and welfare that goes out.  The rest is just advertising.
From a purely practical standpoint, you should care because it costs you less as a taxpayer.

The delta between what you fund and eventually receive is smaller than the cost of funding welfare payments.  
How does my paying the Social Security tax reduce my burden as a taxpayer?
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could colloquially say "I've paid into social security, so I expect to receive it when I retire"

OR

I could say "With the understanding that I will one day in turn receive social security retirement benefits, I have contributed a portion of my salary to fund the prior generations' social security retirement benefits".

The difference is semantics.  The difference does not provide a basis for discontinuing social security.

A separate question is "what [my] position to support it continuing it", which you have asked above.

It is not a perfect system and could certainly stand to be improved.  But it loosely attempts to match payments with contributions (note the word "loosely").  Most programs of this nature allow a person to contribute nothing to the system, and yet still receive benefits.  They are in effect free riders.  The current system, flawed that it is, ensures that there is not complete free ridership by making contributions mandatory.

As I stated before, we will never be a society that does not provide some measure of support for its elderly.  I've visited countries like that; it's not pretty.  So, that leaves us with a choice:

1) a program like social security, that requires some level of contribution, to decrease free ridership; or
2) a program like "the dole", that does not require contribution, and yet we (being taxpayers) still fund.

Out of those two choices, I opt for one that at least loosely ties contribution to benefit.  I'm happy for it to be an improved system and not social security.  I'm unhappy to end it completely and still end up supporting people.  
If your stated goal is "To take care of the elderly" then why tie it to previous contributions?  That doesn't seem logical.

Why are you okay with some elderly people dying on the streets but not all?  (Or, you know family or faith groups taking care of them)
My goal is to take care of the elderly while minimizing free ridership.  Social security does this by requiring contributions (it is effectively a "pay it forward" model).

What makes you think I am ok with some elderly people dying in the streets?  No one dies in the streets in America.

ETA:  And I made the logical leap since you are down with SS as the safety net, but it doesn't apply to everyone.
Those not eligible for Social Security (and in poverty) typically receive other forms of welfare.  They don't often die in the streets (in America).

They cost taxpayers more on a net basis than those who contribute to social security do.

For simplicity, imagine:

Benefits received
-contributions paid in
= Net cost to taxpayers

Social security payments are "funded" by future beneficiaries, unlike other welfare systems where the beneficiaries pay nothing.  

All that (and the fake account information bullshit) does is saddle us with the "fuck you, pay me" mentality that exists.

It's all just taxes that go in and welfare that goes out.  The rest is just advertising.

It is not about what you pay in, it is about what other recipients pay in.

Imagine an elderly person that has worked , but saved nothing for retirement.

Under the current social security system, they will have "paid into" the system.  Lets imagine they paid in $2,000 per year on average for 35 years, so $75,000.

Now, for simplicity, imagine they receive an SS benefit of $12k per year for 20 years, so $240,000.

Ignoring time value of money, they will have cost taxpayers:

$240,000
-$75,000
= $165,000

Now imagine social security does not exist.

They pay in nothing.  Welfare is $12k per year for 20 years, so $240,000.

$240,000
-$0
= $240,000

Obviously this is a very simplistic example. We are indifferent that it is "pay it forward" model, because over a large population, at any given time people in functionally similar financial situations will be paying it forward.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The obligation for your insurance company to pay is contractual.  In 1960 the Supreme Court in Flemming v. Nestor ruled that you have no contractual relationship with the government for Social Security.

Your argument is invalid.
View Quote
Well thank God you settled that one.  The government can stop paying social security benefits and stop collecting FICA any time they want.  Problem solved!
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Under the current social security system, they will have "paid into" the system.  Lets imagine they paid in $2,000 per year on average for 35 years, so $75,000.

Now, for simplicity, imagine they receive an SS benefit of $12k per year for 20 years, so $240,000.

$240,000
-$75,000
= $165,000

$240,000
-$0
= $240,000

Obviously this is a very simplistic example. We are indifferent that it is "pay it forward" model, because over a large population, at any given time people in functionally similar financial situations will be paying it forward.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OR

For simplicity, imagine:

Benefits received
-contributions paid in
= Net cost to taxpayers

$240,000
-$75,000
= $165,000

$240,000
-$0
= $240,000

I was hoping I missed something and you seriously hadn’t started to make this argument, yet here it is.  

Words fail me if what you acknowledge is a tax doesn’t count in your math of the cost to taxpayers.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well thank God you settled that one.  The government can stop paying social security benefits and stop collecting FICA any time they want.  Problem solved!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The obligation for your insurance company to pay is contractual.  In 1960 the Supreme Court in Flemming v. Nestor ruled that you have no contractual relationship with the government for Social Security.

Your argument is invalid.
I didn’t settle it.  The Supreme Court did in 1960.

Legally the government could stop SS tomorrow.  Politically it would be suicide because too many folks believe they have an account that they have paid into.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Of course he will, just like everyone else that is eligible. ( i know some RR workers and some other jobs dont have it taken out and wont be part of SS)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He will be.
Of course he will, just like everyone else that is eligible. ( i know some RR workers and some other jobs dont have it taken out and wont be part of SS)
You should research how those organizations opted out.
Congress briefly opened a window to do so, saw what was happening and slammed it shut.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Good post. All good information.

The biggest myth is that it matters.  As a society, we will never be willing to step over starving dying old people in the street (see India for reference).  That means we will always have social security, welfare or a combination of the two.  Whether they take or out of your check and call it social security or take it out of your check and call it the dole is completely irrelevant.  It will be taken regardless.
View Quote
that's an interesting claim, but I disagree with it.

The communists in congress would gladly put us all up against a wall and fix the problem, from their perspective.  leaving dying old people in the streets isn't such a far step from that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good for you. I have interesting question, when he gets his first job, how will that work so they dont take SS out of his check ? Im sure employers gonna be pita about it. What about military service if he chooses that route?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@UtahShotgunner

So here is what I've run into around that. "They" tried that when I signed my son up for public school. I hear all the time "you HAVE to have a social security number to do X". I say "prove it, by the way, here is the case law that disagrees with you. Please read the area's that are highlighted in yellow". At that point all of the sudden he doesn't need one anymore. You will hear you need one all the time.

I heard the same thing around the passport application. What the law says around this is that if you already have one it's against the law not to put it on the application. It's pretty cleverly worded but it never says you HAVE to have one. If you read it you will just assume you do. I just left it blank and the state dept. wrote me a letter and said please respond with a signed statement that he has never had one and we will process it, which I did. He received it shortly after.

In your case, I quickly looked at the laws in Utah around birth certificates and saw no mention of requiring a social security number. HERE is a link to the law in Utah. I'm pretty sure you were told that by the folks in the Hospital. They tried that with me too. It would be against the law for them to require that your son be signed up for a federal program for the state to issue him a birth certificate. I don't think that would hold up to a lawsuit.

I'm not sure about your insurance company. There is a medicare reporting requirement that says my son has to have one but I have ignored it so far and he is 10 years old. He is covered under United Healthcare so it's not a thing for them at least.

Let me give you a tip. No one ever actually reads the rules. They just repeat what they have heard as the gospel truth.

ETA...

I found a better LINK. There is no legal requirement in Utah for a child to have a social security number prior to being issued a birth certificate in the state of Utah. If you can find something different I'd love to see it. This isn't a personal challenge BTW. I'm just really interested in the laws around this stuff and if you see something different that contradicts what I believe I'd appreciate you letting me know.
Good for you. I have interesting question, when he gets his first job, how will that work so they dont take SS out of his check ? Im sure employers gonna be pita about it. What about military service if he chooses that route?
He won't be able to work or join the military.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The kid will follow in the steps of the 19 year old with ant vaxxer parents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@UtahShotgunner

So here is what I've run into around that. "They" tried that when I signed my son up for public school. I hear all the time "you HAVE to have a social security number to do X". I say "prove it, by the way, here is the case law that disagrees with you. Please read the area's that are highlighted in yellow". At that point all of the sudden he doesn't need one anymore. You will hear you need one all the time.

I heard the same thing around the passport application. What the law says around this is that if you already have one it's against the law not to put it on the application. It's pretty cleverly worded but it never says you HAVE to have one. If you read it you will just assume you do. I just left it blank and the state dept. wrote me a letter and said please respond with a signed statement that he has never had one and we will process it, which I did. He received it shortly after.

In your case, I quickly looked at the laws in Utah around birth certificates and saw no mention of requiring a social security number. HERE is a link to the law in Utah. I'm pretty sure you were told that by the folks in the Hospital. They tried that with me too. It would be against the law for them to require that your son be signed up for a federal program for the state to issue him a birth certificate. I don't think that would hold up to a lawsuit.

I'm not sure about your insurance company. There is a medicare reporting requirement that says my son has to have one but I have ignored it so far and he is 10 years old. He is covered under United Healthcare so it's not a thing for them at least.

Let me give you a tip. No one ever actually reads the rules. They just repeat what they have heard as the gospel truth.

ETA...

I found a better LINK. There is no legal requirement in Utah for a child to have a social security number prior to being issued a birth certificate in the state of Utah. If you can find something different I'd love to see it. This isn't a personal challenge BTW. I'm just really interested in the laws around this stuff and if you see something different that contradicts what I believe I'd appreciate you letting me know.
He won't be able to work or join the military.
The kid will follow in the steps of the 19 year old with ant vaxxer parents.
Another sovereign citizen....
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was hoping I missed something and you seriously hadn’t started to make this argument, yet here it is.  

Words fail me if what you acknowledge is a tax doesn’t count in your math of the cost to taxpayers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OR

For simplicity, imagine:

Benefits received
-contributions paid in
= Net cost to taxpayers

$240,000
-$75,000
= $165,000

$240,000
-$0
= $240,000

@SmilingBandit

What do you mean?  Did you even look at my post? That is not what I claim, nor what my example illustrates.

Rather, it shows that the net cost is less than it otherwise would be because the recipient “contributes”.

You cannot include the recipient in your taxpayer pool when you calculate the net cost to “other tax payers”.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@SmilingBandit

What do you mean?  Did you even look at my post? That is not what I claim, nor what my example illustrates.

Rather, it shows that the net cost is less than it otherwise would be because the recipient “contributes”.

You cannot include the recipient in your taxpayer pool when you calculate the net cost to “other tax payers”.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OR

For simplicity, imagine:

Benefits received
-contributions paid in
= Net cost to taxpayers

$240,000
-$75,000
= $165,000

$240,000
-$0
= $240,000

@SmilingBandit

It's nonsensical to discard the 15.3% of the taxpayer's earnings being taken by the government as taxes because they are a different flavor of tax.  The cost to the taxpayers is the same in both of your examples.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 12:44:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I dont know the facts on inflation, but disagree its welfare for the old, they paid into it, i dont know why that fact is dismissed.

Someone never working a day in their life getting it and never paid into it, that is welfare.

Yes, i was robbed, they took my money to pay current participants, so fuck yea, the next group can pay me. Dont like it, dont particulate when the time comes, i plan to sign up first chance. If its not there when time comes, ive planned accordingly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that intended to refute his statement?
I dont know the facts on inflation, but disagree its welfare for the old, they paid into it, i dont know why that fact is dismissed.

Someone never working a day in their life getting it and never paid into it, that is welfare.

Yes, i was robbed, they took my money to pay current participants, so fuck yea, the next group can pay me. Dont like it, dont particulate when the time comes, i plan to sign up first chance. If its not there when time comes, ive planned accordingly
I have paid into all of the welfare programs at the federal, state and local levels.  They are still welfare programs.  To your question, I don't really expect to have an option to take SS.  I have saved for retirement and by the time I get to the age to collect, I think it will be means based, or more means based than it is now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 12:46:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It's nonsensical to discard the 15.3% of the taxpayer's earnings being taken by the government as taxes because they are a different flavor of tax.  The cost to the taxpayers is the same in both of your examples.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OR

For simplicity, imagine:

Benefits received
-contributions paid in
= Net cost to taxpayers

$240,000
-$75,000
= $165,000

$240,000
-$0
= $240,000

@SmilingBandit

Meant politely, did you read my post?  Nowhere have I done that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

$240,000
-$75,000
= $165,000

$240,000
-$0
= $240,000

View Quote
A requirement to save 10% of one's income would do the same thing, but actually earn interest (that isn't paid for by the taxpayer)
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Except for where you did exactly that of course.

$240,000
-$75,000
= $165,000
You subtracted the FICA taxes when you came up with your net cost to the taxpayer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Social security should’ve been privatized into IRA style accounts, partially, when Bush pushed for that.  The single biggest issue is SS cash is used to fund structural short falls in government through inter-departmental loans.  These loans are back by a special, non-negotiable treasury bond.  Yes IOUs, 2.8 trillion dollars worth of IOUs.  Imagine if the fund had all that cash to invest and grow. It would be the largest sovereign wealth fund on earth.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Social security should’ve been privatized into IRA style accounts, partially, when Bush pushed for that.  The single biggest issue is SS cash is used to fund structural short falls in government through inter-departmental loans.  These loans are back by a special, non-negotiable treasury bond.  Yes IOUs, 2.8 trillion dollars worth of IOUs.  Imagine if the fund had all that cash to invest and grow. It would be the largest sovereign wealth fund on earth.
View Quote
Cant stick a steak on the floor , walk away and not expect the dog to eat it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sure you would.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not reading all that.

All I know is that if there was a box where I could opt out of it and get back everything I've put in so far I'd check it in an instant.
Sure you would.
In a f-ing heartbeat.  .gov can’t do anything right....nothing, everything they touch turns to crap.  I could be much better off $$$$ by managing my own retirement and disability insurance.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
In a f-ing heartbeat.  .gov can’t do anything right....nothing, everything they touch turns to crap.  I could be much better off $$$$ by managing my own retirement and disability insurance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I know is that if there was a box where I could opt out of it and get back everything I've put in so far I'd check it in an instant.
Sure you would.
Forget the bullshit "get back everything I've put in", it'd hit the button to be free and clear.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Lol at all the folks “I have an account number and can log in and see it”

Dumb & Dumber -- Empty Suitcase of Money
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I want my money!!!
View Quote
This.
I bet we're near the same age!
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want my money!!!
This.
Your money is gone.  Long spent in the same fiscal year it was collected.

What you actually want is someone else's money.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Other countries have done government-held mandatory personal savings successfully.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
It has mostly been spent.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much, there was crazy surplus, but gov couldnt keep hands out of cookie jar.

On one site, they stated increase SS tax by 2.? % would fix the problem, so have an increase a little bit at a time in SS tax by .5 % by either employer or employee and stipulate it cant be touched other then for SS etc etc, increase each year or every other year
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Pretty much, there was crazy surplus, but gov couldnt keep hands out of cookie jar.

On one site, they stated increase SS tax by 2.? % would fix the problem, so have an increase a little bit at a time in SS tax by .5 % by either employer or employee and stipulate it cant be touched other then for SS etc etc, increase each year or every other year
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "surplus" bought treasury bonds by design.  In what world do bonds get purchased but the income not spent?

If we increased the FICA tax again and ended up with a "surplus" do you know what would happen to the money?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
He will be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have long held the belief they understate the actual inflation rate by a small amount and have been doing so since at least the 80's.  .3-.5 is easy enough for the numbers to look plausible, but over time it adds up.

Also, it is welfare for old people.
So you wont be signing up when the time comes, providing your eligible?
He will be.
They all will accept it. There's a term for people that say they won't sign up for it when the time comes. The term is "Lying Fucks" lol.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#29]
The same could be said for money you place in the bank or an investment account, the money you actually put in isn't the money you get back.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you have a better study than the Congressional Budget Office, I'm all ears.
View Quote
The REALITY of it is as I stated.

The CBO can say what it wants but its not reality.

The employer pays his portion of SS from his pocket. It does not come from the employee.

Show me where I am wrong.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The employer pays his portion of SS from his pocket. It does not come from the employee.

View Quote
6.2 % from employee and 6.2% from employer
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't know  how a study could be clearer
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
So

Fucking
Wrong

It's
You
Didn't
Even
Read
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

So

Fucking
Wrong

It's
You
Didn't
Even
Read
View Quote
Lol, ok chief , ive actually read numerous reports on how to fix SS shortfalls, one was outlined above with my own opinion tacked onto the end, but if sure you can enlighten us on why increase SS tax wouldnt help fix the shortfalls SS will encounter around 2032-2034
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't know  how a study could be clearer
View Quote
Lol, so the employer doesnt pay 6% , while the employee also pays 6% ?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You subtracted the FICA taxes when you came up with your net cost to the taxpayer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$240,000
-$75,000
= $165,000
I subtracted what the beneficiary paid in (i.e. what they were forced to self fund).  That is not other taxpayers money.  You’re either being deliberately obtuse or suffer from poor reading comprehension.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I subtracted what the beneficiary paid in (i.e. what they were forced to self fund).  That is not other taxpayers money.  You’re either being deliberately obtuse or suffer from poor reading comprehension.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$240,000
-$75,000
= $165,000
It doesn’t matter if it’s other taxpayer money.  It’s tax money.  Being paid by the same people that would be funding it if we eliminated the whole account lie.
If it was actually their money then they would have a contractual claim to it, which they don’t.  The moment it leaves your check it becomes general revenue with a thin veneer of bullshit over it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It doesn’t matter if it’s other taxpayer money.  It’s tax money.  Being paid by the same people that would be funding it if we eliminated the whole account lie.
If it was actually their money then they would have a contractual claim to it, which they don’t.  The moment it leaves your check it becomes general revenue with a thin veneer of bullshit over it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$240,000
-$75,000
= $165,000
Ok.  So you’ve just said the equivalent of “it doesn’t matter, because foxes live in the forest and cows eat grass”.  Cool, but completely unrelated to my point.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#40]
To put it aa simply as possible:

I don't expect it to be there when I retire, which is within 10 years.

If it is, I'd be happy to get back the money I was forced to pay into the program,

Not expecting to get back what I paid in, hoping I can recover some of my investment into this Ponzi scheme so that I can feel better about myself.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ok.  So you’ve just said the equivalent of “it doesn’t matter, because foxes live in the forest and cows eat grass”.  Cool, but completely unrelated to my point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$240,000
-$75,000
= $165,000
Taxes paid are taxes.  They are not investments and pretending they are is laughable.

Argukng that the 15.3% of your labor that is taxed isn’t really a tax because you are told that you eventually get something from a government program in return is beyond reason.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Taxes paid are taxes.  They are not investments and pretending they are is laughable.

Argukng that the 15.3% of your labor that is taxed isn’t really a tax because you are told that you eventually get something from a government program in return is beyond reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$240,000
-$75,000
= $165,000

Where do I say it is an investment or that it isn’t a tax?

Again, you’re responding to points I haven’t made.  I suppose it’s easier to create and knock down a straw man?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Again, you’re responding to points I haven’t made.  I suppose it’s easier to create and knock down a straw man?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$240,000
-$75,000
= $165,000

I’m having a lot of trouble understanding what logical point you are making.  Other than A!=A if you pretend 15% of A is really B.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 5:27:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd run not walk to check that box without getting back what I've already paid in. I'm 43 and would love to manage my retirement fund with my income from this day forward, and I'd happily let the gov keep the change I've already paid in over the last 28 years.

We hold back 30% of our small business income for fed/state/FICA. 30 fucking %.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I’m having a lot of trouble understanding what logical point you are making.  Other than A!=A if you pretend 15% of A is really B.
View Quote
Cool, I'll try once more without the math since I see that it is confusing to you.

Concept 1:

Imagine you are in the Chick-fil-a drive through.  You go to receive your Spicy Chicken Sandwich and the person manning the drive through window tells you it has been paid for by the car in front of you.  You in turn pay for the car behind you, who in turn pays for the car behind them, ad infinitum.

Under this model, did you get a free sandwich, or did you pay for it?  I'll assume you're clever enough to realize it was not free, and there is functionally no difference between "paying it forward" and paying for something directly.  Under either scenario, you have one sandwich and you have $5 less.

Concept 2:

I assume you are familiar with The Ant and the Grasshopper by Aesop.

In the fable, the Grasshopper dies of hunger.  Our reality is that Grasshopper takes part of the Ant's food (via taxes and redistribution).  This means less for the Ant.

Now imagine that as the Grasshopper hops about, there was a mechanism to force the Grasshopper to save some food, not necessarily enough, but some.  That would mean he would eventually take less of the Ant's food than if that mechanism did not exist.

Conclusion

We acknowledge that "paying forward" is the same as paying for it.

We acknowledge that if we require the Grasshopper to pay for something, it ultimately means a bit more for the Ant (or rather that the Ant will eventually subsidize the Grasshopper less).

While it could be improved in many ways, this is fundamentally what social security is.

Whether it is a "tax" is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
To put it aa simply as possible:

I don't expect it to be there when I retire, which is within 10 years.

If it is, I'd be happy to get back the money I was forced to pay into the program,

Not expecting to get back what I paid in, hoping I can recover some of my investment into this Ponzi scheme so that I can feel better about myself.
View Quote
Even if nothing is changed SS will still be able to pay 91% in the year 2052. For anyone that thinks they won't get it let that sink in"2052".

BTW that's even if no changes are made and we know some will be. Also, many don't realize SS was actually in worse shape in the 80's than it is now.

https://blog.ssa.gov/social-security-2019-trustees-report/
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Even if nothing is changed SS will still be able to pay 91% in the year 2052. For anyone that thinks they won't get it let that sink in"2052".

BTW that's even if no changes are made and we know some will be. Also, many don't realize SS was actually in worse shape in the 80's than it is now.

https://blog.ssa.gov/social-security-2019-trustees-report/
View Quote
Read your own link, that 90% is for disability insurance, it says 80% after 2035 if no changes are made , for regular SS
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Cool, I'll try once more without the math since I see that it is confusing to you.

Concept 1:

Imagine you are in the Chick-fil-a drive through.  You go to receive your Spicy Chicken Sandwich and the person manning the drive through window tells you it has been paid for by the car in front of you.  You in turn pay for the car behind you, who in turn pays for the car behind them, ad infinitum.

Under this model, did you get a free sandwich, or did you pay for it?  I'll assume you're clever enough to realize it was not free, and there is functionally no difference between "paying it forward" and paying for something directly.  Under either scenario, you have one sandwich and you have $5 less.

Concept 2:

I assume you are familiar with The Ant and the Grasshopper by Aesop.

In the fable, the Grasshopper dies of hunger.  Our reality is that Grasshopper takes part of the Ant's food (via taxes and redistribution).  This means less for the Ant.

Now imagine that as the Grasshopper hops about, there was a mechanism to force the Grasshopper to save some food, not necessarily enough, but some.  That would mean he would eventually take less of the Ant's food than if that mechanism did not exist.

Conclusion

We acknowledge that "paying forward" is the same as paying for it.

We acknowledge that if we require the Grasshopper to pay for something, it ultimately means a bit more for the Ant (or rather that the Ant will eventually subsidize the Grasshopper less).

While it could be improved in many ways, this is fundamentally what social security is.

Whether it is a "tax" is irrelevant.  
View Quote
The “pay it forward” analogy is apt if each person has to pay for more food for the person behind them since the payer to payee ratio keeps decreasing.

And your whole grasshopper part is off target as well since as you said nobody is dying in the streets today.  In the end, the taxpayers pay for Social Security as well as the other welfare programs.

The only thing you accidentally almost get right is that the FICA tax is flat and everyone with earned income pays in to some extent unlike the income tax, but you miss that point.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Read your own link, that 90% is for disability insurance, it says 80% after 2035 if no changes are made , for regular SS
View Quote
"The Social Security trust funds going broke. It is true that the Social Security trust funds, where the money raised by Social Security taxes is invested in non-marketable securities, is projected to run out of funds by around 2034. The tax will still raise money each month, though. Projections show that even if nothing is done about the trust funds, the program will cover around 79% of its obligations through 2090. That is a funding issue to address. It doesn't mean, though, that the program will go bankrupt."

https://smartasset.com/retirement/social-security-run-out
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
"The Social Security trust funds going broke. It is true that the Social Security trust funds, where the money raised by Social Security taxes is invested in non-marketable securities, is projected to run out of funds by around 2034. The tax will still raise money each month, though. Projections show that even if nothing is done about the trust funds, the program will cover around 79% of its obligations through 2090. That is a funding issue to address. It doesn't mean, though, that the program will go bankrupt."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“Invested” in current FY spending.

It will just keep eating up more and more of our annual budget.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top